PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Line starting to take shape.

Northman
06-10-2015, 06:50 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Offensive-line-starting-to-take-shape/75604980-8d22-49b5-a411-d67a9eff4a90

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Following the second day of minicamp practice, Head Coach Gary Kubiak said the offensive line that was shaken up by an injury and turnover is starting to clear up — though nothing is certain at this point.

"I think right now if we went to camp, we have a pretty good idea of how we’re going to line up and go," Kubiak said. "...I think we know how we’re going to line up: ones and twos and threes, right now. But how it’s going to end up, I don’t know. We’ll see, but it’ll be a very competitive environment throughout."

Uncertainty has bubbled up after Ryan Clady (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/ryan-clady/8ff5aae9-bdbb-45f1-a082-8d6ae3aa896b/)'s knee injury dealt the line a blow, but because it came so early, the Broncos have been able to adjust and give the competition behind him plenty of looks still at a fairly early point in the offseason.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-10-2015, 06:51 PM
Harris must not be the same guy he use to be if he's behind Clark on the depth chart.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-10-2015, 07:09 PM
Every rep counts. With coach Gary Kubiak insisting that veterans take days off throughout the offseason, Peyton Manning, perhaps begrudgingly, can see that each repetition during the offseason must be valued.

Especially now as the offense continues to take shape and position battles are being waged.

"The reps that you do have, you try to make them quality ones," Manning said. "We're still getting reps today — they're cutting back a little bit of the team work for us, but you're still getting individual reps with your receivers, like (Cody) Latimer and Owen Daniels. It's really the first time in throwing to Owen and the first time getting a lot of reps with Cody.

"I try to get some separate meeting time on the sideline — within the six-hour rule limits, of course. So you try to take advantage of it, and you also try to take advantage of the rest time, the weight-lifting times when you come back and you feel fresh. So I think there can be some positives to it."

rest - plus video - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28290274/peyton-manning-valuing-limited-reps-broncos-o-line-taking-shape

DenBronx
06-10-2015, 07:10 PM
Should of signed Richie Incognito last season. Rex Ryan is saying he looks great. Then drafted Collins.

spikerman
06-10-2015, 07:37 PM
I know they can't do it, but wouldn't it be refreshing if the coaches didn't always talk about how "well" everybody was playing? If the players were playing as well as the coaches were saying, just crown them as the champs right now.

I get it that they are going to save the criticism for "behind closed doors", but you can almost predict what the coaches are going to say. It's like when Champ Bailey used to always say, "we have the talent, we just have to put it together." Of course that little quote usually came before Peyton put up about 160 points on them in playoff games.

I sound annoyed, but I'm not. I'm just ready for the season to get here.

Bronco4ever
06-10-2015, 08:46 PM
within the six-hour rule limits, of course

Yes Peyton, follow those rules to a t.

Simple Jaded
06-10-2015, 10:36 PM
Should of signed Richie Incognito last season. Rex Ryan is saying he looks great. Then drafted Collins.

Can you imagine Incognito in this ZBS? Nobody's knees would be safe.

DenBronx
06-11-2015, 12:00 AM

Can you imagine Incognito in this ZBS? Nobody's knees would be safe.

No worse than Nails Nalen. Lol

OrangeHoof
06-11-2015, 12:38 AM
Former Texans All-Pro center Chris Meyers is mulling coming out of retirement, it has been tweeted. If he does, expect a few clubs to pursue him, including the Texans and Broncos.

7DnBrnc53
06-11-2015, 01:27 AM
Former Texans All-Pro center Chris Meyers is mulling coming out of retirement, it has been tweeted. If he does, expect a few clubs to pursue him, including the Texans and Broncos.

Man, I hope Denver does. It makes sense. Gradkowski shouldn't be starting.

I also saw that Chris Clark was projected to start at RT. I hope that doesn't last. I would rather have Scholfield or Harris out there.

broncofaninfla
06-11-2015, 09:42 AM
This initial line up means nothing. Wake me up when they start wearing pads and have contact.

Rick
06-11-2015, 09:53 AM
I didn't realize Myers HAD retired. Would partially explain why Denver didn't make a run at him.

BroncoNut
06-11-2015, 12:47 PM
I know they can't do it, but wouldn't it be refreshing if the coaches didn't always talk about how "well" everybody was playing? If the players were playing as well as the coaches were saying, just crown them as the champs right now.

I get it that they are going to save the criticism for "behind closed doors", but you can almost predict what the coaches are going to say. It's like when Champ Bailey used to always say, "we have the talent, we just have to put it together." Of course that little quote usually came before Peyton put up about 160 points on them in playoff games.

I need summer for a while, football will be here soon enough.

VonDoom
06-11-2015, 01:21 PM

Case in point ...

I have no idea whether Incognito will be good, but taking the coach's word for it in minicamp doesn't mean we missed out on anything.

VonDoom
06-11-2015, 01:23 PM
I didn't realize Myers HAD retired. Would partially explain why Denver didn't make a run at him.

I don't see him listed as retired anywhere - just as a street FA. Cecil was talking on Twitter the other day about how the Broncos need to "move fast" to get him if the Texans are interested. I think if we wanted him, we would have looked into him by now.

spikerman
06-11-2015, 05:40 PM
I need summer for a while, football will be here soon enough.

I live in Texas. I'd be just fine skipping summer altogether.

TXBRONC
06-11-2015, 06:24 PM
I live in Texas. I'd be just fine skipping summer altogether.

It's 99 here in Odessa. There isn't much humidity but it's still hot.

spikerman
06-11-2015, 06:58 PM
It's 99 here in Odessa. There isn't much humidity but it's still hot.

Yuck. I hate the heat.

Cugel
06-11-2015, 08:07 PM

Well, right now he's probably better off his couch than Chris Clark at RT. Of course on the other hand he may have nothing left, which is usually why they retire in the first place.

But hey! It's worth a shot certainly. We'd welcome him to the Broncos! :wave:

SR
06-11-2015, 09:21 PM
Yuck. I hate the heat.

We had a late morning downpour today that lasted about 30 minutes and within about an hour it was 85 with 80% humidity. Felt great.

broncohead
06-11-2015, 11:59 PM
Here in Alaska its been in the 60s and 70s... Just terrible hot weather hahahaha

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-12-2015, 12:04 AM
It was a comfortable 91 today after enduring 97 and 99 the last two days. When it's hot here the humidity is usually below 20 percent, so it's nothing like the south with 90 degree heat. 90 degrees here is actually fairly comfortable.

DenBronx
06-12-2015, 12:37 AM

Case in point ...

I have no idea whether Incognito will be good, but taking the coach's word for it in minicamp doesn't mean we missed out on anything.

Oh yeah I'm taking into account that Richie is a previous probowler and played at a high level before the nonsense with Richie Martin began.

Valar Morghulis
06-12-2015, 01:57 AM
How much more confident would we feel in our O-line if we added Mathis and Myers?

Would anyone be against this?

I think it would be a huge upgrade.

DenBronx
06-12-2015, 04:07 AM
How much more confident would we feel in our O-line if we added Mathis and Myers?

Yes it would, get both.

Davii
06-12-2015, 05:56 AM
Here in Alaska its been in the 60s and 70s... Just terrible hot weather hahahaha

Let's revisit this in six or seven months.

VonDoom
06-12-2015, 08:14 AM

Absolutely. Elway seemingly has no interest in this, however.

Mathis seems like he'd be a great fit here. Not to sound like Jaded, but this is a guy who can play in the ZBS AND actually has talent.

VonDoom
06-12-2015, 08:15 AM
Oh yeah I'm taking into account that Richie is a previous probowler and played at a high level before the nonsense with Richie Martin began.

Yeah, for what it's worth, I was all for bringing him in here last year. I don't think he would have fit with our new scheme this year but we were desperate mid-season.

Slick
06-12-2015, 09:47 AM
Well, right now he's probably better off his couch than Chris Clark at RT. Of course on the other hand he may have nothing left, which is usually why they retire in the first place.

But hey! It's worth a shot certainly. We'd welcome him to the Broncos! :wave:

You'd welcome Myers but not Mathis?

Simple Jaded
06-13-2015, 11:47 PM
Absolutely. Elway seemingly has no interest in this, however.

Mathis seems like he'd be a great fit here. Not to sound like Jaded, but this is a guy who can play in the ZBS AND actually has talent.
Not to sound like Jaded but it doesn't take anything special to play in the ZBS, nothing.

Btw, it's a sad state of affairs when you'd gladly take Chris Myers over the current No1 on the depth chart. Yea! Zone block system, so much fun.

spikerman
06-14-2015, 08:37 AM
We had a late morning downpour today that lasted about 30 minutes and within about an hour it was 85 with 80% humidity. Felt great.

I assume this is sarcasm.

spikerman
06-14-2015, 08:38 AM
Jerk.

SR
06-14-2015, 09:56 AM
I assume this is sarcasm.

No. It felt good. Cool gulf breeze took some of the heat away but it's surely better than what I've dealt with the last five years.

spikerman
06-14-2015, 10:52 AM
No. It felt good. Cool gulf breeze took some of the heat away but it's surely better than what I've dealt with the last five years.

I'd MUCH rather be cold than hot.

SR
06-14-2015, 12:22 PM

Not I. Not South Dakota cold.

dogfish
06-14-2015, 06:21 PM

me too. . .

but seriously man, tell me again why you live in texas? it has to be family? :whoknows:

spikerman
06-14-2015, 07:53 PM
me too. . .

but seriously man, tell me again why you live in texas? it has to be family? :whoknows:
Yeah, a job brought me here and my wife's mother is ill. After that situation is "resolved" we'll be trying to get to Colorado.

SR
06-14-2015, 10:31 PM
Yeah, a job brought me here and my wife's mother is ill. After that situation is "resolved" we'll be trying to get to Colorado.

I dunno where in Texas you live but I would much rather live where I do now than Colorado.

Simple Jaded
06-15-2015, 01:52 AM
Only two things come from Texas.

DenBronx
06-15-2015, 02:17 AM
Only two things come from Texas.

Steers and Queers? And they are running out of steers I heard.

spikerman
06-15-2015, 05:49 AM
I dunno where in Texas you live but I would much rather live where I do now than Colorado.

I live in San Antonio, but I've been throughout the state and there is no place here that I would be interested in living more than Colorado, or a few other states.

Just not a fan.

SR
06-15-2015, 09:11 AM
I live in San Antonio, but I've been throughout the state and there is no place here that I would be interested in living more than Colorado, or a few other states. Just not a fan.

I'm not a big fan of Colorado. The Rockies are beautiful...amazingly beautiful...but i don't care for the rest of the state. I've lived in CO, AZ, TX, SD, and now Texas again and I don't plan on leaving this state again.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-15-2015, 01:31 PM
I'm not a big fan of Colorado. The Rockies are beautiful...amazingly beautiful...but i don't care for the rest of the state. I've lived in CO, AZ, TX, SD, and now Texas again and I don't plan on leaving this state again.

What is it you love so much about Texas?

SR
06-15-2015, 02:32 PM
What is it you love so much about Texas?

I don't love Texas as a whole. Most of the state is disgusting and full of idiot rednecks. I love living in Houston...great weather, beautiful climate, close to the coast, tons to do, etc. Just a great place to be.

BigDaddyBronco
06-15-2015, 02:36 PM
SR definition of beautiful weather is different than mine. Houston has great weather if you like hot and humid. I like it in the winter however.

I am probably going to end up in Houston some day due to my career and I might end my life if it happens.

TXBRONC
06-15-2015, 05:40 PM
I like living in Texas and have since I first transplanted here in 1984.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-16-2015, 08:09 PM
When the Philadelphia Eagles dropped their guard last week, it was speculated that the Broncos were possible suitors for free agent Evan Mathis. He profiles for multiple teams, but Denver, as of now, is not one of them. Coach Gary Kubiak said Monday the Broncos plan to enter training camp with their current offensive line, which includes just one sure thing: right guard Louis Vasquez.

The first-team linemen are rookie left tackle Ty Sambrailo, left guard Ben Garland, center Gino Gradkowski, Vasquez and right tackle Chris Clark.

That group combined for only 23 starts in the NFL last year, all by Vasquez and Clark. The line is learning the zone system, which stresses mobility and combo blocks.

rest, plus other things - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28320338/broncos-offensive-line-looks-set-start-training-camp

Simple Jaded
06-16-2015, 09:55 PM
"The line is learning the zone system, which stresses mobility and combo blocks"

So what?

Valar Morghulis
06-17-2015, 11:59 AM
Before releasing him, I would kick the tires on moffitt

Dzone
06-17-2015, 12:56 PM

No doubt! I had no idea the dude was making a comeback. Why are they releasing him? Nothing to lose by giving him a tryout
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/john-moffitt-unretires-will-become-free-agent-jay-glazer-061715

VonDoom
06-17-2015, 01:43 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure why they wouldn't at least work him out before releasing him.

dogfish
06-18-2015, 12:10 AM

No doubt! I had no idea the dude was making a comeback. Why are they releasing him? Nothing to lose by giving him a tryout
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/john-moffitt-unretires-will-become-free-agent-jay-glazer-061715

Yeah, I'm not sure why they wouldn't at least work him out before releasing him.

probably because there are plenty of scrub OLs out there who are more emotionally stable than moffitt has looked to be in the past. . .

SR
06-18-2015, 09:38 AM
Denver already announced they will release his rights once he's reinstated...

Slick
06-18-2015, 02:27 PM
I don't understand Denver's line of thinking here when you've got one maybe two years at best with Manning. Let's just roll the dice with a bunch of unproven players in front of Peyton and hope for the best.

Valar Morghulis
06-18-2015, 02:37 PM
I don't understand Denver's line of thinking here when you've got one maybe two years at best with Manning. Let's just roll the dice with a bunch of unproven players in front of Peyton and hope for the best.

It's weird how content they seem to be with this oline.

I am unproven, maybe they will give me a try out in October.

tomjonesrocks
06-18-2015, 02:44 PM

Totally agree. Don't understand it at all. Opportunities have been there and they have passed time and time again.

They must be hellbent on not spending money. Again pointing out Peyton's paycut I'd bet he's pissed.

Buff
06-18-2015, 03:44 PM

I've found it puzzling as well, but here is my best guess at their philosophy shift:

1.) Elway's hands are tied by Ryan Clady and Vasquez's contracts, which make it tough to commit much more $$ to the o-line from a roster construction/salary cap standpoint.
2.) Kubiak comes from the Shanny/Gibbs school of thought where they would plug in undersized/undervalued linemen and get solid production out of them.
3.) The organization is no longer "building around Peyton" - he had his pay reduced, and they are not going to mortgage the future to put some stop gaps in place for him... "You want to stick around and play another year, Peyton? Learn a new offense and figure out how to work with the o-line that was a lower priority than a number of other positions. You had your 3 year window where you dictated everything, now we're de-emphasizing you as we build toward the future."

Valar Morghulis
06-18-2015, 03:45 PM
I've found it puzzling as well, but here is my best guess at their philosophy shift:

1.) Elway's hands are tied by Ryan Clady and Vasquez's contracts, which make it tough to commit much more $$ to the o-line from a roster construction/salary cap standpoint.
2.) Kubiak comes from the Shanny/Gibbs school of thought where they would plug in undersized/undervalued linemen and get solid production out of them.
3.) The organization is no longer "building around Peyton" - he had his pay reduced, and they are not going to mortgage the future to put some stop gaps in place for him... "You want to stick around and play another year, Peyton? Learn a new offense and figure out how to work with the o-line that was a lower priority than a number of other positions. You had your 3 year window where you dictated everything, now we're de-emphasizing you as we build toward the future."

3- could be a reality

Slick
06-18-2015, 04:06 PM

Sound reasoning.

After watching his team get bounced from the playoffs the last 2 seasons because the offensive line couldn't protect the immobile QB, Elway not addressing that seems like a mistake if you're bring back the same QB for another run at it.

Kubiak's zone blocking teams never won any games in January or February so it's hard for me to feel confident that will change.

Buff
06-18-2015, 04:25 PM
3- could be a reality

They are all a reality or I wouldn't have presented them as such, you subversive SOB.

Valar Morghulis
06-18-2015, 04:30 PM
They are all a reality or I wouldn't have presented them as such, you subversive SOB.

You better be out of town for the Vikings game - because I am going to **** you up.

underrated29
06-18-2015, 04:33 PM
They want to get younger on the Oline. We have a super young team with a ton of young talent all over the place. We have some big time contracts that we will be forking out next year. They likely do not want to pay a 31 year old G top money too. Give the young guys a shot, let them battle for a starting spot in TC. You never know who will fit and who wont. If they totally Bomb it in TC and pre-season then I bet mathis gets a look. Until then we have no idea if shelly smith, or ben garland are any better or worse than expensive old mathis.

I would still like to see mathis here no doubt, but we have to build for the future and mathis is likely not the breaking point for us to be champs or chumps. Our roster is too talented for that. That is the coaching.

Slick
06-18-2015, 04:41 PM
I thought I read here or on the Mane where you said Denver is golden as far as cap space next year, U29?

Slick
06-18-2015, 04:42 PM
Buff has a fantastic vocabulary.

underrated29
06-18-2015, 05:36 PM
I thought I read here or on the Mane where you said Denver is golden as far as cap space next year, U29?

We are! That said, we can pay an old guy a bunch of money along with the big contracts for Von and co...or we can pay the young guys young money and keep our big cap for other FA who arent as old. Guys like Manny sanders, maybe an ILB, eric weddle at FS would be lovely. Id hate to miss out on Weddle because we gave Mathis a contract. (not saying that would be the case)

Point is, I understand wanting to be youthful and giving youthful guys $ and not wanting to overspend on the old guys. Thats what shanny did and it got us in trouble. Id also hate to lose a guy like wolfe or something because we signed all our other guys but didnt have enough cap because of an old OL guy....

We should have the cap to keep DT, Von, CJ, Wolfe, Malik, Trev, marhsall is a RFA, and whomever else. Mathis too. (I expect to see manning gone. Ware gone. And Clady likely traded) Thats about $35mil right there. Weddle is at the top of my list. Id also like to keep Talib for another 2-3 years.

Buff
06-18-2015, 05:41 PM

It's one of my only redeeming qualities in life.

VonDoom
06-18-2015, 06:31 PM

I understand this line of reasoning and generally agree. I just think with Clady going down, there's a lot being put on the plate of these young guys. Mathis would help with this and we wouldn't have to sacrifice anything except money, which we have

VonDoom
06-18-2015, 06:32 PM
We are! That said, we can pay an old guy a bunch of money along with the big contracts for Von and co...or we can pay the young guys young money and keep our big cap for other FA who arent as old. Guys like Manny sanders, maybe an ILB, eric weddle at FS would be lovely. Id hate to miss out on Weddle because we gave Mathis a contract. (not saying that would be the case)

Point is, I understand wanting to be youthful and giving youthful guys $ and not wanting to overspend on the old guys. Thats what shanny did and it got us in trouble. Id also hate to lose a guy like wolfe or something because we signed all our other guys but didnt have enough cap because of an old OL guy....

We should have the cap to keep DT, Von, CJ, Wolfe, Malik, Trev, marhsall is a RFA, and whomever else. Mathis too. (I expect to see manning gone. Ware gone. And Clady likely traded) Thats about $35mil right there. Weddle is at the top of my list. Id also like to keep Talib for another 2-3 years.

I know we're getting off topic here and into fantasyland but man, would I love Weddle on this team.

Davii
06-19-2015, 08:33 AM

The only thing more amazing than what comes out of Buff's mouth is what goes in his mouth.

Valar Morghulis
06-19-2015, 08:51 AM
The only thing more amazing than what comes out of Buff's mouth is what goes in his mouth.

Are you referring to another man's penis?

underrated29
06-19-2015, 10:24 AM
Are you referring to another man's penis?

No, just his.

Valar Morghulis
06-19-2015, 10:49 AM
No, just his.

His own, that's impressive.

Davii
06-19-2015, 11:01 AM
His own, that's impressive.

He's very bendy

Simple Jaded
06-20-2015, 12:00 AM
Alfred Williams basically echoed the theory I've had for over a decade, the Broncos don't care about talent in their ZBS, they don't ask their lineman to do anything that any other lineman can't. . .except cut block. They want lineman that are WILLING to cut dudes 30 times a game. He said Vasquez's days are numbered too, he believes Vasquez may not make it out of preseason with a job. Big Al is mostly an idiot so take it fwiw.

The Broncos line of thinking isn't anything new and it has nothing to do with Manning, they went after Shelley Smith and Gino Gradkowski because that's who they wanted. They look at ZBS lineman the same way they do their RB's, a dime-a-dozen, only difference is now they're wasting 2nd round picks on them.

sneakers
06-20-2015, 06:22 AM
Not I. Not South Dakota cold.

South dakota during the summer can be brutally hot

SR
06-20-2015, 06:31 AM
South dakota during the summer can be brutally hot

No.