PDA

View Full Version : Jackson vs Wolfe...Who do we keep?

Traveler
06-05-2015, 12:55 PM
IIRC, both Jackson and Wolfe are in contract years and will become UFA's after the season. Probably won't be able to keep them both so who stays and who goes?

Northman
06-05-2015, 01:01 PM
Probably Wolfe.

NightTerror218
06-05-2015, 01:02 PM
Probably Wolfe but why not keep both? They are not likely to be getting huge money. Chicago and Oakland may be after them but both could go for extensions soon before that.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-05-2015, 01:02 PM
That's a good question. It will be interesting to see how Malik plays when his role increases.

My initial feeling is that Malik will demand more on the open market, but will likely play under a tender next year.

Traveler
06-05-2015, 01:06 PM
Where is the money coming from if Manning decides not to retire? Clady? Remember, Von is also in the last year of his contract too, but he'll probably get the franchise tag.

GEM
06-05-2015, 01:06 PM
If Malik can get his penalty issues under control, I feel he is more disruptive than Wolfe, but would like to try to keep both.

Traveler
06-05-2015, 01:08 PM
Probably Wolfe but why not keep both? They are not likely to be getting huge money. Chicago and Oakland may be after them but both could go for extensions soon before that.

Two guys at basically the same position. One of them isn't getting paid.

VonDoom
06-05-2015, 01:08 PM
Judging by this offseason ... neither.

But seriously, I'd probably prefer Jackson if I had to choose. I like both, though.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-05-2015, 01:12 PM
Where is the money coming from if Manning decides not to retire? Clady? Remember, Von is also in the last year of his contract too, but he'll probably get the franchise tag.

We can probably tender both of them, which would be affordable.

underrated29
06-05-2015, 01:14 PM

We already have 50Mil in cap space next year. Without ware thats another 10 mil. Without clady thats another 10 mil. Without manning that is another 20 mil....

we absolutely will have enough cap space to keep anyone and everyone we see fit. If clady, ware and manning are all gone we could have close to 90 mil in cap space!!!

To answer your question. BOTH! they wont command a ton. We will be able to keep both for cheap. Malik is the higher profile guy- I think he gets a ton of pressure this year, but wolfe is the more solid and steady run defender.

Traveler
06-05-2015, 01:19 PM
We already have 50Mil in cap space next year. Without ware thats another 10 mil. Without clady thats another 10 mil. Without manning that is another 20 mil....

we absolutely will have enough cap space to keep anyone and everyone we see fit. If clady, ware and manning are all gone we could have close to 90 mil in cap space!!!

To answer your question. BOTH! they wont command a ton. We will be able to keep both for cheap. Malik is the higher profile guy- I think he gets a ton of pressure this year, but wolfe is the more solid and steady run defender.

$50 million before possibly discounting Ware, Clady and Manning? Where is that figure coming from?

underrated29
06-05-2015, 01:29 PM
$50 million before possibly discounting Ware, Clady and Manning? Where is that figure coming from?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/cap/2016/

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/denver-broncos/

The cap will go up again next year. It's $143 this year, I bet it's at least 5M more.

Before Virgil, Daniels and Joe Duncan were signed, we had $100M in contracts for next year.

$43M in space, + whatever is the increase. Lets just say roughly $50M.

If Manning isn't on the team (he will not be) that is another 20M.

That's $70M to play with. Ware and Clady if cut is another 18M.

88M.

Keep in mind the Broncos only have like 30 guys under contract for next year. Cheap RFA's (Marshall) and others will keep more around. We will also have 7-10 draft picks this year and 7-10 easily in 2016, plus UDFA's.

Like it or not, Denver is going to build for the future with all that hella comp pick action.

Hence why they aren't signing FA who are available.

This is a tad old, but still around the same. We added Ryan Harris and one other guy that didnt factor in, but needless to say we have all the money in the world to keep, add or whatever else. PLUS the potential $40 million from Clady, Ware and Manning. Ware is certainly gone if shane ray produces. If we win the SB manning is certainly gone too. Thats 30mil + our near 50mil= 80mil

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-05-2015, 01:37 PM
Does anyone know if we can just put RFA tender on both of them? I feel like I'm talking to myself up in this piece.

BroncoNut
06-05-2015, 01:42 PM
wolfe

underrated29
06-05-2015, 01:48 PM
Does anyone know if we can just put RFA tender on both of them? I feel like I'm talking to myself up in this piece.

I dont know. I know that if we could tag DT again if we want but that would keep us from using it on von unless we use that other bizarre tender thing. If they are both eligible for RFA, then I think we can. Im not sure, sorry.

DT is my main concern. We must get a deal done with him this year. If not he will be traded or allowed to walk. That is a big piece of a puzzle lost. Not what we need when we have to replace, Clady, manning, and worry about keeping wolfe, malik, starvin marvin, etc. If we dont get a deal for Von next year he will get the Tag!....So it all falls back to DT. If we get DT locked up this year, then we have the tag for Von as a just in case next year, while allowing us to take care of the RFAs and what not and splurge in free agency. DT needs to ink a deal.

Dzone
06-05-2015, 01:57 PM
Jackson's better than Wolfe.

VonDoom
06-05-2015, 02:12 PM

Pretty sure they're both UFA after this year, so your plan wouldn't work.

VonDoom
06-05-2015, 02:15 PM
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/cap/2016/

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/denver-broncos/

The cap will go up again next year. It's $143 this year, I bet it's at least 5M more.

Before Virgil, Daniels and Joe Duncan were signed, we had $100M in contracts for next year.

$43M in space, + whatever is the increase. Lets just say roughly $50M.

If Manning isn't on the team (he will not be) that is another 20M.

That's $70M to play with. Ware and Clady if cut is another 18M.

88M.

Keep in mind the Broncos only have like 30 guys under contract for next year. Cheap RFA's (Marshall) and others will keep more around. We will also have 7-10 draft picks this year and 7-10 easily in 2016, plus UDFA's.

Like it or not, Denver is going to build for the future with all that hella comp pick action.

Hence why they aren't signing FA who are available.

This is a tad old, but still around the same. We added Ryan Harris and one other guy that didnt factor in, but needless to say we have all the money in the world to keep, add or whatever else. PLUS the potential $40 million from Clady, Ware and Manning. Ware is certainly gone if shane ray produces. If we win the SB manning is certainly gone too. Thats 30mil + our near 50mil= 80mil

If you use this link from Over the Cap, it has us with over $30 million in cap space for 2016 as of now (just click on the appropriate tab)

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

I agree that Ware is likely gone and I'd say Clady as well. If you look at their individual links on that site, it would save us another $18.9 million (leaving some dead money). So that's $50 million before Manning. Unless he says he's retiring, we'll probably have another offseason of uncertainty like this year.

Either way, I think your numbers are high, but we still have a lot of space to play with, something that we did not have this year.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-05-2015, 02:56 PM
Pretty sure they're both UFA after this year, so your plan wouldn't work.

I'm going to stick my head in the sand and pretend you're wrong until proven otherwise. :D

DenBronx
06-05-2015, 03:46 PM
Both guys are very average.

NightTerror218
06-05-2015, 05:18 PM
Jackson's better than Wolfe.

I would take Wolfe, better against the run, does not get as much pressure. Has one of the best motors on the team.

TXBRONC
06-05-2015, 05:44 PM
Right now I don't see how it would't be possible to keep both if Denver wishes too.

OrangeHoof
06-05-2015, 06:54 PM
We have a whole season to play before I need to worry about this. Lots can happen we didn't anticipate.

Simple Jaded
06-06-2015, 12:08 AM
If they're still worth the money why not keep Clady, Manning and Ware and simply choose between Wolfe and Jackson? Last time I checked the gap between them and their replacements was far greater than that of Wolfe/Jackson and their replacements.

Valar Morghulis
06-06-2015, 03:59 AM
At the moment - i think it is fair to say both players have flattered to deceive - and losing one or both would not be a catastrophe.

However, i am really hopeful that both will shine this year. I think though if i was hard pushed to keep one it would be Wolfe - because he is white and i think that we need to comply with equal opportunites

LTC Pain
06-06-2015, 09:40 AM
Keep'em both!

TXBRONC
06-06-2015, 10:55 AM
At the moment - i think it is fair to say both players have flattered to deceive - and losing one or both would not be a catastrophe.

However, i am really hopeful that both will shine this year. I think though if i was hard pushed to keep one it would be Wolfe - because he is white and i think that we need to comply with equal opportunites

They are both capable starters. Not everyone puts us big flashy stats nor does the team need everyone to do so.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-06-2015, 11:00 AM
Malik graded out as one of the 5 best pass rushing DT's in the league last year. I think we might be underestimating how good he is at pressuring the QB up the middle.

nevcraw
06-08-2015, 09:13 AM
as 3-4 DE's their market will not be that high. both are retainable. Wolfe will come cheaper given Jackson's ceiling being higher but both will thrive under Phillips.

WARHORSE
06-08-2015, 04:38 PM
I gotta say Jackson. I love Wolfe and know he will play better as a 3/4 DE, but I also think Jackson can thrive in that role.

Right now I say Jackson, but ask me again after this year.