PDA

View Full Version : Tanier: Bronco offense more similar to last year than you might think

VonDoom
06-02-2015, 09:16 AM
Mike Tanier has an article on Bleacher Report today about our offense. He's one of my favorite football writers and always brings the stats. Good read especially for people who worry about how "slow" our offense might become under Kubiak:

Some of the differences between the old Broncos system and the one Kubiak and Dennison will run are an optical illusion. Ever see the trick where two circles are exactly the same size, but one is surrounded by tiny circles and the other is surrounded by huge circles? The circle surrounded by bigger ones looks smaller.

When Kubiak sends the offense onto the field to huddle before lining up in an I formation, his system looks extremely run-oriented. When Manning hurries to the line with a spread formation and hollers a bunch of gibberish, his system looks extremely pass-oriented. But many of the differences are superficial: Play ratios are about the same, use of play action is about the same, even the style of the running plays is not that different once you get past the formation shift.

The Manning offenses don't even run that many more plays than the Kubiak offenses. In 2012, both the Broncos and Texans executed exactly 1,090 plays. The 2014 Broncos ran 1,067 plays to the Ravens' 1,021 plays.

Some more talk about pace as well - a chart shows that last year's Ravens actually took fewer seconds per play in the first half of games than the Broncos.

The rest: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2482074-will-the-broncos-passing-stats-go-in-the-tank-under-gary-kubiak

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-02-2015, 10:29 AM
We frequently took a lot of time off the clock in the no huddle. It's primary function is to not let the defense rotate players.

DenBronx
06-02-2015, 03:15 PM
Well shall see. Ironically the Broncos were 1st in the NFL in shotgun formation snaps at 66% and the Ravens were last at 23%.

DenBronx
06-02-2015, 03:18 PM
According to ESPN that's what the numbers were but doesn't match this article.
http://espn.go.com/espn/sportscenter/story/_/id/12992507

Man alot of numbers are off on these articles lately.

VonDoom
06-02-2015, 03:21 PM
Well shall see. Ironically the Broncos were 1st in the NFL in shotgun formation snaps at 66% and the Ravens were last at 23%.

Why is it ironic? I think it was well known that Manning likes the shotgun and Kubiak prefers to play from under center. Tanier's article shows that reflected in one of the charts. Also, he specifically was focusing on the first half of games for most of these stats, since it would be more "situation neutral" than a team going away from their preferred game plan when trying to come back or hold a lead.

Northman
06-02-2015, 03:26 PM

Im willing to be thats because Bmore was 8th in rushing offense and Denver was 15th. I think if we are able to run the ball more the playaction will be more effective and will not rely so much on Manning being in Shotgun formation.