PDA

View Full Version : Strange Feeling about this offseason and upcoming season...

Traveler
05-29-2015, 08:10 AM
Am I the only one who feels this way? There just seems to be something amiss about this offseason and I can't figure out what it is.

Let's recap:

1. There was the parting of the ways from Fox and his staff, with Fox and JDR seemingly checking out before the playoff game against the Colts.

2. The hiring of Kubiak and company in what seems to be a yearning for past glory days.

3. The strange Manning retirement/paycut saga.

4. The decision (justifiable) to let 5 starters walk in FA, mitigated by our salary cap restrictions.

5. The somewhat puzzling lack of emphasis on addressing the OL issues. Most notably, their belief the ZBS allows them to be successful with lesser talented offensive linemen. Trading for a second rate Center and signing bargain basement players like Shelly Smith, Ryan Harris, and the like doesn't inspire much confidence. Just goes to show they really don't believe in the players already on the roster (Paradis, Schoefield, Garland) like they stated earlier.

6. Their penchant for drafting players dealing with injuries or having a history of injuries.

7. Two major season ending injuries to players this early in the offseason.

I hate this gut feeling I have and my hope is the team has enough talent to still be successful, but I shake the feeling Denver will be selecting in the top 5-10 of next years draft.

Thoughts?

CoachChaz
05-29-2015, 08:25 AM
I was actually thinking it would be more in the 15-20 range myself.

MasterShake
05-29-2015, 08:28 AM
I get what you are saying, but the good news is that it is only May and we have some time to figure things out. The O-line was a worry last season as well, and while losing Clady sucks it might give us a boost in the long run. I remember pretty recently both Baltimore and New England had pretty shoddy Offensive Lines and they were able to re-tool them pretty quickly on their way to the Super Bowl.

I think my biggest concerns right now are Manning being able to operate under center in a slower offense, whether or not our run game will be the beast we need it to be, and if our defense can step up when it counts to allow us to slow the game down when we need to.

As far as Kubiak and co. at least they don't have one foot out the door. I'm still bothered by the fact that Fox and Del Rio were basically auditioning for other teams at the end of the season last year if the rumors are true. Kubiak wants to be here and Wade "Hank Hill" Phillips has no intention of becoming a HC again. I'll take my chances with Manning and what should still be a pretty great offense and a passionate coaching staff. We have plenty of time to rebuild after Manning is gone.

I do understand what you are saying about having a weird feeling, though. I'm still pretty optimistic for a good season but I won't feel comfortable unless we lock down a 1 or 2 seed again if we go into the playoffs. Part of me hopes we have some early adversity then finish strong which could really help out down the stretch. I'd almost be worried with another hot start.

Simple Jaded
05-29-2015, 08:46 AM
My biggest concern is the OL but this system has proven they can get by with players nobody else wants, by their own admission, I don't think the current state of this OL has caught the FO unprepared. It'll be fine, not ideal, but it fits the system.

If the likes of Smith, Gradkowski and the like bothers you too I'd learn to get used to it.

Northman
05-29-2015, 09:08 AM
I have a strange feeling every year. Nothing is guaranteed and you can only hope for the best year in and year out. Unlike the Elway lead SB teams i never felt that confident we would win a title behind Manning so anything we do achieve is just a bonus anyway. But, i have more faith in Kubes than i ever did in Fox if that means anything.

BroncoJoe
05-29-2015, 09:34 AM
The only feeling I have is anxiousness. I can't wait for football to begin!! Win, lose or tie, I'll watch and enjoy every moment.

MasterShake
05-29-2015, 09:51 AM
I have a strange feeling every year. Nothing is guaranteed and you can only hope for the best year in and year out. Unlike the Elway lead SB teams i never felt that confident we would win a title behind Manning so anything we do achieve is just a bonus anyway. But, i have more faith in Kubes than i ever did in Fox if that means anything.

The only time I ever felt confident was going into the Super Bowl against Atlanta. Not having to face Minnesota that year was a huge relief to me. The previous year I just wanted them to keep it close with Green Bay! :lol: You just never know. I really do think it is about getting hot at the right time based on the past few seasons.

VonDoom
05-29-2015, 09:57 AM
I mostly see what you're saying. The OL was my biggest concern, which got even bigger with Clady's injury. I will trust that this team knows what they're doing at this point, though. People say they didn't address the OL as much as they'd like, but really, they DID address it, just not in the WAY many of us wanted. I don't think that bringing in low cost veterans is necessarily a knock on Schofield or Garland, as you mention. Elway says he believes in those guys, and I have faith in the boss. But that doesn't mean that injuries and/or ineffectiveness wouldn't come up, and therefore, we need these veteran guys as depth, if nothing else. I suspect we see two rookies (or at least, guys that haven't played in a real game yet) starting by the time week one rolls around (Sambrailo seems like a lock somewhere, maybe even LT at this point, and I think Schofield and/or Garcia start somewhere).

The transition from one coaching staff to another will be rocky, even if the new coaching staff is better (which they should be). It takes a while to get everyone on the same page, and that worries me if we're seriously going to be contenders this year. Has a first year coach on a new team ever won the Super Bowl? But I agree with MasterShake - the biggest thing that bothers me about this offseason was Fox getting ready to catch a plane to Chicago instead of coaching against the Colts. Kubiak should be a breath of fresh air - I just don't know if that translates to success this year.

This is still a very talented team, which many people are forgetting when focusing only on our weaknesses. Our QB should be good at the least, even if he's not what he used to be. I think CJ is going to have a monster season if he stays healthy, and the backups should be fine in this system. Our WR's are top notch. Our TE's aren't great, but they should be good enough in this offense (I expect Green to step it up). So on offense, only the line is a negative, though that could obviously have far reaching effects. On defense, our pass rushers will be let loose, and our CB corps might be the best in the league. The new scheme should allow everyone to be aggressive and put all that talent to use.

I have no idea how this season will play out. But I still have hope, even after Clady. Like Joe, I'm already hungry for the games to begin again.

underrated29
05-29-2015, 10:12 AM
I'm still super pumped!!

We are the best team in the AFC. I think we rep the SB again this year. I don't see another team in the AFC that will stand in our way.

Buff
05-29-2015, 10:13 AM
I have this uneasy feeling that we missed our 3 year window with Manning, and now we are left to deal with the aftermath. We had to let a lot of talent walk out the door so that we could afford another year or two of Manning. We probably would have been better off long term if Manning would have retired and we could allocate that $15 million elsewhere and start to see what we have in Brock starting fresh in a new system.

Instead, it's like we're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole making it work with a 39 year old peyton with a bum arm and no mobility in a system that would benefit from the exact opposite style QB. So it's like every decision we've made subsequently has been less than ideal because we're trying to make it work with this QB who I'm not sure has the skill set to win a super bowl anymore.

TXBRONC
05-29-2015, 10:23 AM
No I don't feel anything is amiss. It's May and there is plenty of time to get things worked out. I don't hiring of Kubiak is desire to return to the glory day. The system he brings is one that has proven to be successful in this League.

BroncoJoe
05-29-2015, 10:24 AM
I have this uneasy feeling that we missed our 3 year window with Manning, and now we are left to deal with the aftermath. We had to let a lot of talent walk out the door so that we could afford another year or two of Manning. We probably would have been better off long term if Manning would have retired and we could allocate that $15 million elsewhere and start to see what we have in Brock starting fresh in a new system.

Instead, it's like we're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole making it work with a 39 year old peyton with a bum arm and no mobility in a system that would benefit from the exact opposite style QB. So it's like every decision we've made subsequently has been less than ideal because we're trying to make it work with this QB who I'm not sure has the skill set to win a super bowl anymore.

Hard to argue with you - in fact, I've been trashed by saying I had hoped Manning retired.

I'm still pumped for the season though. It's been a LONG TIME since we got to see the Broncos play.

Slick
05-29-2015, 12:06 PM
I haven't even been posting much in Broncos Talk threads because I am so melancholy about the team and it's prospects for this year. I was quiet during free agency and the draft because I don't want to bring everyone down with negativity.

Having said that, like many of you I'll still be just as emotionally invested and excited once the season starts.

Traveler
05-29-2015, 12:07 PM

Definitely with you here! I'm one of the few who believed/wished Manning would retire so the new regime could get fully immersed into the way Kubiak want to run the offense and defense.

Zweems56
05-29-2015, 12:50 PM
Definitely with you here! I'm one of the few who believed/wished Manning would retire so the new regime could get fully immersed into the way Kubiak want to run the offense and defense.

I was kind of feeling similarly but we're all going to feel like a pack of dumbasses when Peyton and Kubiak make this line look good. I'll reserve my judgement for now and look at this the same way I looked at the possibility of Manning retiring. I want to see some of these young kids get looks. Sambro, Schofield, Garcia, and especially Paradis. I love me some young OL competition.

Traveler
05-29-2015, 01:22 PM
I was kind of feeling similarly but we're all going to feel like a pack of dumbasses when Peyton and Kubiak make this line look good. I'll reserve my judgement for now and look at this the same way I looked at the possibility of Manning retiring. I want to see some of these young kids get looks. Sambro, Schofield, Garcia, and especially Paradis. I love me some young OL competition.

Hope you are right.

Davii
05-29-2015, 01:32 PM
I have a funny feeling you all worry too much.

Valar Morghulis
05-29-2015, 01:36 PM
Number one seed.

Super bowl victory.

Top 5 on both sides of the ball.

Cj 2000 all purpose yds

DT and Sanders 20 tds

Latimer break out year

Manning 4500 yrs, 40 tds. Regular season and super bowl mvp.

Can't wait.

Buff
05-29-2015, 01:37 PM

Did you watch the playoffs the last three years?

TXBRONC
05-29-2015, 01:37 PM
Why worry about something we have no control of?

tomjonesrocks
05-29-2015, 01:41 PM
I could totally see a 8-8 / 7-9 season or even worse that would shock people.

This is a major overhaul.

Davii
05-29-2015, 01:41 PM
Did you watch the playoffs the last three years?

I sure did. Guess why, you guessed it, the Broncos won their division and had a 1st rd bye each of those years.

Why worry? OMG, Manning is old. So what. Maybe a ball control offense keeps him fresher. Maybe he only goes three wide all shotgun craziness when we have to instead of all game every game and he has more left in the tank when we win our division yet again.

Chill out. I think John and Gary know what they're doing and they obviously both wanted Manning or they would've forced him to retire.

FanInAZ
05-29-2015, 01:43 PM
I hate this gut feeling I have and my hope is the team has enough talent to still be successful, but I shake the feeling Denver will be selecting in the top 5-10 of next years draft.

So you think we're going to be trading up. I know, I know, you think that we're going to crash this year. The thing is, we are the only ones having these problems. I don't know if every team has already been faced with a season ending injury already, but the Cards had 3 before the start of last season. They finished 11-5.

Buff
05-29-2015, 01:46 PM
I sure did. Guess why, you guessed it, the Broncos won their division and had a 1st rd bye each of those years.

Why worry? OMG, Manning is old. So what. Maybe a ball control offense keeps him fresher. Maybe he only goes three wide all shotgun craziness when we have to instead of all game every game and he has more left in the tank when we win our division yet again.

Chill out. I think John and Gary know what they're doing and they obviously both wanted Manning or they would've forced him to retire.

I think if Peyton played Seattle 100 times, they would win 90 times. I just don't think he has the physical tools to beat elite defenses anymore - so it's hard for me to muster a ton of excitement for another division title when the issue is winning in the playoffs against the best defenses.

Valar Morghulis
05-29-2015, 01:50 PM
I think if Peyton played Seattle 100 times, they would win 90 times. I just don't think he has the physical tools to beat elite defenses anymore - so it's hard for me to muster a ton of excitement for another division title when the issue is winning in the playoffs against the best defenses.

CJ says relax

DenBronx
05-29-2015, 01:56 PM
I dont like this offseason. Guys are drinking the koolaide and thinking were not going to skip a beat or in fact will be better. But too many changes and too many losses isnt a good thing.

This thread sums up exactly how I feel. I hope to God I'm wrong but I'm sick to my stomach. In possibly Mannings last year I think we were wrong to change it all up.

We might win 10 games if were lucky.

Northman
05-29-2015, 01:57 PM

Hopefully our defense makes a little more noise this year than in the past.

Northman
05-29-2015, 01:58 PM
I dont like this offseason. Guys are drinking the koolaide and thinking were not going to skip a beat or in fact will be better. But too many changes and too many losses isnt a good thing.

This thread sums up exactly how I feel. I hope to God I'm wrong but I'm sick to my stomach. In possibly Mannings last year I think we were wrong to change it all up.

See you at the end of the year then.

VonDoom
05-29-2015, 02:00 PM
All of these threads end up talking about the offensive line or Manning, both of which are valid issues. But if we're good this year, I honestly think it's going to be because of the defense. Let these guys loose and see what they can do. Manning will win enough games if the pressure isn't all on him, no matter if he has declined or not.

DenBronx
05-29-2015, 02:02 PM

See you at the end of the year then.

Oh ill be there too. Not going anywhere. ;)

underrated29
05-29-2015, 02:05 PM
Number one seed.

Super bowl victory.

Top 5 on both sides of the ball.

Cj 2000 all purpose yds

DT and Sanders 20 tds

Latimer break out year

Manning 4500 yrs, 40 tds. Regular season and super bowl mvp.

Can't wait.

This!!!

Well done! All of this is completely feasible. In fact, all but one of them has happened the last THREE YEARS IN A ROW!

Somehow, suddenly, our experienced coaching staff, improved run game and defense and coaching and dare i say...playcalling...are all going to actually make our team worse.
Our team is now as good as it was when jay cutler was here. You know, with Ryan Mcbean and John Engelberger and Nate Webster and Nate Jones and Marquand Manuel and the mighty selvin young and Dre Bly. Dont forget Chad Mustard either. Plus, Elites on the line like 1st rdr Jarvis Moss and george foster and Marcus Thomas; because remember, those were the guys who were on our team when we went 9-7. And of course we had Bob Slowick as our DC who is significantly better than Wade phillips. Slowick has never had a defense rank above 30 where as wade is the worst DC in the history of football. That 9-7 team resembles completely the same team that we have now. Maybe even better, than our league leading 11 pro bowl players.

Those teams are so comparable its not even funny. Same with the coaching staff.

Manning vs cutler- same
DT, Sanders, Latimer vs Marshall, royal, todd devoe- Same
CJ, Ball, Juwann vs Selvin young, tatum bell, travis henry- same
Owen Daneils virgil green vs Tony Scheffler, jeb putzier- same
Oline vs old oline- Worse

Malik, wolfe, sly, vance, antonio, marvin vs jarvis moss, marcus thomas, adams?, engleberger- same
Miller, ware, ray, trevathan, marshall vs jamie winston, nate webster, niko koutevides- we majorly downgraded this year vs old team
Talib, harris, roby, webster, boldin, carter vs champ, dre bly, nate jones,- same
D stewart, TJ ward vs manuel and whoever the other scrub was- same

Wade phillips vs Slowick- we are waaaaaaay worse now.

10-6, 9-7 here we come!!!

broncofaninfla
05-29-2015, 02:29 PM
I share the some concerns as Travler but also feel good about Elway and company. They've earned my trust and support so I still feel good about things.

Ziggy
05-29-2015, 03:20 PM
I can't wait for this season to unfold. The Broncos are going old school. Manning won't be the star this season. He'll be along for the ride to compliment a great running game and defense.

Yes, we've lost talent. We're going to have to limp along with our 9 pro bowlers and first ballot HOF QB still on the roster. The coaching staff is far better. We're actually going to see in game adjustments for the first time since Shanny was coaching. The Broncos are going to have the opposite season than they've had the last 3 seasons. It's going to start off rough while the players gel and catch onto the new systems. As the season goes on, they're going to get stronger, better, and faster. By the end of the season, this team will be beginning to gel, and it's going to peak in the playoffs and super bowl. I can't wait to see it happen.

Simple Jaded
05-29-2015, 05:41 PM
No I don't feel anything is amiss. It's May and there is plenty of time to get things worked out. I don't hiring of Kubiak is desire to return to the glory day. The system he brings is one that has proven to be successful in this League.

Successful yes but no team adhering strictly to the wide ZBS has won a SB since the Broncos in the late 90's, that according to Josh McDaniels through Mike Klit. I'm more convinced now then before that reliving the glory days is exactly what Denver is trying to do.

BroncoWave
05-29-2015, 06:09 PM

Just because someone has a less than positive outlook on the season doesn't mean they are "worrying". I can't speak for the rest of the people who don't think we will be that great this season, but it's not like I go to bed every night stressing out about how bad the Broncos are going to be this season. Football is just entertainment to me and I am over losses pretty much the minute the game is over. If Denver sucking this year is the biggest thing I have to worry about this fall, I will be doing great in life.

NightTerror218
05-29-2015, 06:22 PM
I predict a middle of pack scoring offense, a top flight defense (best in points allowed but with the weakness as the run defense allowing just under 100 yrds a game). Key to defense is nose tackle this year, is Slyvthe guy or will teams average 4 yards per carry and getting stopped at the LBs each time?

I think our defense will keep opponents from scoring but slower pace offense will not score as much and numbers will not show effectiveness of offense.

I am pumped for season and ready for it. I think its great young guys will actually get a crack at starting rather then Elways signing a high profile FA to start instead (Ware, Talib, Ware, Vasquez, Sanders, Manning). Hope young guys step up.

WARHORSE
05-29-2015, 08:00 PM
Our running game is going to be the best in the league next to Eagles. The passing will be less but will be very effective.

This offense under Elway was a well oiled machine. We dont have that Oline but we do have alot of weapons.

Our defense will be geared towards takeaways and playing with the lead, but it will be killer.

All of this of course is subject to injuries.

Did anyone forget that we got Shane Ray?

Championship.

VonDoom
05-30-2015, 08:20 AM
Thought this might fit here. On NFL.com, Bucky Brooks has an article about the most talented teams NOT counting QB's (the Seahawks, frighteningly, are still number one). He has us at number three. This is kind of what most of us have been saying in this thread - we have a lot of talent even without Manning. He lists Clady as a "blue chipper", so this might also have been before the injury:

3) Denver Broncos

Blue chips (8): LT Ryan Clady, CB Chris Harris, OLB Von Miller, WR Emmanuel Sanders, CB Aqib Talib, WR Demaryius Thomas, S T.J. Ward, OLB DeMarcus Ware.

On the rise: CB Bradley Roby.

John Elway has done a great job of surrounding Peyton Manning with a championship-caliber roster as the QB attempts to win the second ring of his illustrious career. In recent years, the Broncos have invested heavily on the defensive side of the ball with Talib, Ward and Ware coming over as marquee free agents. The team also plucked a blue-chip talent at the top of the draft (Miller) to fortify the pass rush and preserve leads against opponents forced to play catchup against Denver's fast-paced scoring attack. On offense, the Broncos have a dangerous WR tandem with Thomas and Sanders on the perimeter. Each player is capable of turning short passes into long gains or blowing past defenders on vertical routes. Given Manning's ability to "dink and dunk" with the best of them, the presence of two explosive playmakers in the passing game keeps the Broncos' offense rolling despite the physical limitations of an aging quarterback.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000493967/article/seahawks-jets-and-eagles-among-nfls-most-talented-teams?campaign=Facebook_writers_Brooks

Ziggy
05-30-2015, 11:43 AM
Thought this might fit here. On NFL.com, Bucky Brooks has an article about the most talented teams NOT counting QB's (the Seahawks, frighteningly, are still number one). He has us at number three. This is kind of what most of us have been saying in this thread - we have a lot of talent even without Manning. He lists Clady as a "blue chipper", so this might also have been before the injury:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000493967/article/seahawks-jets-and-eagles-among-nfls-most-talented-teams?campaign=Facebook_writers_Brooks

He also doesn't list Vasquez, who was first team all-pro last time he played right guard. He doesn't list CJ, who was a pro bowler last season and will have a far better season this year if he stays healthy.

Davii
05-30-2015, 02:18 PM

And what option that was available to us this offseason changed that?

BroncoWave
05-30-2015, 02:46 PM

Davii, I think Buff as well as several others of us on here have addressed this point time and time again. Every fully admits that Peyton would be the best option for THIS season, but the discussion comes in if he's the best option for the future of the franchise. Let's just say, hypothetically, that our realistic ceiling with Peyton is to make the playoffs but we aren't going to contend for a title. Is it worth the few extra wins he might get us over Brock this season to still not win a title anyway, and then prolong the process of moving onto life after Peyton?

Now if you think we are still a SB contender then you obviously won't agree with that mindset, but you should at least understand where those who don't think we are a contender are coming from when they say that just because Manning might be the best option for the team this year doesn't mean it's best for the next 5-10 years of the franchise.

Northman
05-30-2015, 03:50 PM

Indeed. If Manning says he can play and is cleared and the injury from last year was the reason for decline than i totally understand bringing him back. I trust Elway's judgement but even if we had kept some of the players (albeit overpaying) it would of been no guarantee of a championship. Just have to let it play out and hope for the best given the circumstances.

Davii
05-30-2015, 08:05 PM
Davii, I think Buff as well as several others of us on here have addressed this point time and time again. Every fully admits that Peyton would be the best option for THIS season, but the discussion comes in if he's the best option for the future of the franchise. Let's just say, hypothetically, that our realistic ceiling with Peyton is to make the playoffs but we aren't going to contend for a title. Is it worth the few extra wins he might get us over Brock this season to still not win a title anyway, and then prolong the process of moving onto life after Peyton?

Now if you think we are still a SB contender then you obviously won't agree with that mindset, but you should at least understand where those who don't think we are a contender are coming from when they say that just because Manning might be the best option for the team this year doesn't mean it's best for the next 5-10 years of the franchise.

We are a super bowl contender. Period.

Why does having Manning this year make the future less bright? It does not. That is a false narrative. If you could PROVE that whoever we moved on to would win us the SB in X years if he starts now vs X+Manning years if he doesnt then sure. But, that's not the case. We could "move on" from Manning to QB hell and nothing but a hope to make the playoffs, you have no idea. So, why in the hell would you want to hasten that?

We're almost guaranteed to make the playoffs, then we have to get somewhere. We have to make the playoffs to have a shot at a SB and there is simply no better option than Peyton available right now. Maybe next year there is, we should explore it then, but to say Peyton this year somehow hurts us next year is a ridiculous argument with no basis in reality or fact.

nevcraw
05-31-2015, 02:07 PM
I have also had a not so bright outlook on this coming season. We lost a ton of talent and are now personnel wize weaker than the last couple of years by a lot.

I do think we will have a powerful defense. and it will need to be best in the NFL for this team to have a shot. But no real NT is a worry. If teams can run then who cares if we have crazy good pass rush?

Manning is easy to beat when he gets rattled and it's easy to see this happening with the defenses we are playing this year and with this bunch of pups on OL save Vasquez. If they are unable to protect or open the ZBS holes - it will be a long season.
Kubes is a solid coach but 'his system' same as shanny's etc. has not made hay since Elway finally got a running game. Just like Manning's broncos / Kubes best teams in Houston were easily dispatched when it counted. Not sure he is master at anything enough to make this rebuild into an quick contender.
So hope I am wrong.

TXBRONC
05-31-2015, 05:12 PM
I have also had a not so bright outlook on this coming season. We lost a ton of talent and are now personnel wize weaker than the last couple of years by a lot.

I do think we will have a powerful defense. and it will need to be best in the NFL for this team to have a shot. But no real NT is a worry. If teams can run then who cares if we have crazy good pass rush?

Manning is easy to beat when he gets rattled and it's easy to see this happening with the defenses we are playing this year and with this bunch of pups on OL save Vasquez. If they are unable to protect or open the ZBS holes - it will be a long season.
Kubes is a solid coach but 'his system' same as shanny's etc. has not made hay since Elway finally got a running game. Just like Manning's broncos / Kubes best teams in Houston were easily dispatched when it counted. Not sure he is master at anything enough to make this rebuild into an quick contender.
So hope I am wrong.

Kubiak's best teams in Houston never had a franchise quarterback.

7DnBrnc53
05-31-2015, 07:27 PM
This!!!

Well done! All of this is completely feasible. In fact, all but one of them has happened the last THREE YEARS IN A ROW!

Somehow, suddenly, our experienced coaching staff, improved run game and defense and coaching and dare i say...playcalling...are all going to actually make our team worse.
Our team is now as good as it was when jay cutler was here. You know, with Ryan Mcbean and John Engelberger and Nate Webster and Nate Jones and Marquand Manuel and the mighty selvin young and Dre Bly. Dont forget Chad Mustard either. Plus, Elites on the line like 1st rdr Jarvis Moss and george foster and Marcus Thomas; because remember, those were the guys who were on our team when we went 9-7. And of course we had Bob Slowick as our DC who is significantly better than Wade phillips. Slowick has never had a defense rank above 30 where as wade is the worst DC in the history of football. That 9-7 team resembles completely the same team that we have now. Maybe even better, than our league leading 11 pro bowl players.

Those teams are so comparable its not even funny. Same with the coaching staff.

Manning vs cutler- same
DT, Sanders, Latimer vs Marshall, royal, todd devoe- Same
CJ, Ball, Juwann vs Selvin young, tatum bell, travis henry- same
Owen Daneils virgil green vs Tony Scheffler, jeb putzier- same
Oline vs old oline- Worse

Malik, wolfe, sly, vance, antonio, marvin vs jarvis moss, marcus thomas, adams?, engleberger- same
Miller, ware, ray, trevathan, marshall vs jamie winston, nate webster, niko koutevides- we majorly downgraded this year vs old team
Talib, harris, roby, webster, boldin, carter vs champ, dre bly, nate jones,- same
D stewart, TJ ward vs manuel and whoever the other scrub was- same

Wade phillips vs Slowick- we are waaaaaaay worse now.

10-6, 9-7 here we come!!!

1. Slowik was better than Wade Phillips? You need help. Slowik was terrible. I think that Bowlen-Ellis wanted him fired, and Shanny wouldn't do it, which is one of the reasons why he was fired.

2. Those other comparisons are garbage. This team is much better than that team from 2006-08.

Ziggy
05-31-2015, 08:08 PM
1. Slowik was better than Wade Phillips? You need help. Slowik was terrible. I think that Bowlen-Ellis wanted him fired, and Shanny wouldn't do it, which is one of the reasons why he was fired.

2. Those other comparisons are garbage. This team is much better than that team from 2006-08.

Maybe the mods should add a sarcasm button for posters like this.

silkamilkamonico
05-31-2015, 10:31 PM
Team will be good enough to win the west. Team isn't tough enough to do anything in the playoffs. Patriots will be their in the end and the Colts, Steelers, Ravens, and Bengals are legitimately better right now.

nevcraw
05-31-2015, 11:07 PM
Kubiak's best teams in Houston never had a franchise quarterback.

Is manning still one? the guy from last season says different. let's hope the 39 year old proves it was only and injury holding him back.. you know what else makes a franchise QB? a stud OL. we got none of that.

Simple Jaded
05-31-2015, 11:57 PM
They shoulda benched Manning after first half of last season, I mean totally.

underrated29
06-01-2015, 01:39 AM

In case you didn't get ziggys post I was being sarcastic. We will be the #1 team in the AFC....our team is infinitely better than the team that went 9-7 and 10-6.

silkamilkamonico
06-01-2015, 10:24 AM
In case you didn't get ziggys post I was being sarcastic. We will be the #1 team in the AFC....our team is infinitely better than the team that went 9-7 and 10-6.

Just because this team may be better than the team you guys are arguing about (who didn't even make the playoffs), I don't see how that correlates to the best team in the AFC this year. There have been 0 changes to this team that makes me believe this team is better than last years team, and last years team was maybe the 5th best team in the AFC.

underrated29
06-01-2015, 11:05 AM
Just because this team may be better than the team you guys are arguing about (who didn't even make the playoffs), I don't see how that correlates to the best team in the AFC this year. There have been 0 changes to this team that makes me believe this team is better than last years team, and last years team was maybe the 5th best team in the AFC.

0 changes to this team from last year you say. Thats fine. Thats fair. Last years team was the most talented in the NFL...did you miss our league high 10 pro bowl players? We get back Dany T this year too. Vasquez is also a pro bowl player but missed it due to switching to tackle.

our team UPGRADED, like big time UPGRADED!!!!!- when we got rid of Del rio, Gase and Fox. I do not understand how you can miss that. That is an Insane oversight. And yes, they were that bad. Its easiest to see when our Entire offense, every.single.position.on.offense.went.to.the.probo wl. could only score 13 against the colts and a team like the Pats with Brady and Gronk as their only weapons of any sorts, lit them up for 40+! So unless you mean to tell me that Brady actually has a better RB, WR corps.........which is clearly not even close............we upgraded majorly!!!

Now, each team in the AFC has some good things but a lot of bad.

Pitts- great WR and RB- their defense is old and busted. It sucks ass!!!!
Balt- always tough, decent defense, lost Ngata and their secondary blows. They also have crap WR.
Indy- Stacked on offense!!!- their defense still sucks. Run D especially. Had gase called a few more runs instead of bubble screens we may have still won.
NE- Their offense is still average but getting better. Their defense took a huge HIT!!! They couldnt stop the run before, now now Wilfork and Browner and Revis are gone too. Not only can they not stop the run but now they cannot stop the pass. They cut all 3 of their starting corners from last year. Do not even try to tell me that belichek will get ample replacements....not going to happen.

So, once again that leaves us. We have weapons all over our offense, equal or better than all of the teams I listed (best teams in the AFC) and our defense is better than each and every single one of those teams. Its not even close. In fact, aside from the buffalo bills, I bet our defense will be the best. Equal or better offense for us, and infinitely better defense. How exactly are we not the class of the AFC? How is any other team better than us? We have a weakness on the OL....one area. Those other teams have weaknesses all over.

And there is no way in hell that our experienced staff who is not a bunch of clowns, conservative push overs or bubble screen addicts will let a roster this good play like the shit they had us playing.

TXBRONC
06-01-2015, 12:46 PM
Is manning still one? the guy from last season says different. let's hope the 39 year old proves it was only and injury holding him back.. you know what else makes a franchise QB? a stud OL. we got none of that.

At this point I give him the benefit of the doubt because prior to injury he played very well.