PDA

View Full Version : FIFA officials arrested on corruption charges

MOtorboat
05-27-2015, 12:38 PM
This is interesting. From what I'm gathering it's a pretty big deal and these guys basically had it coming. I'm very curious about Dave's thoughts on this because he's obviously not American.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-fifa-extradition-20150527-story.html#page=1

weazel
05-27-2015, 01:05 PM
FIFA is corrupt... shocking. 24 year investigation, insane. Think how many people have been involved in that investigation and how much money has been spent. The people who started it probably aren't even around anymore.

MOtorboat
05-27-2015, 01:07 PM
The part that interests me about the span of years is that it goes back to just before the U.S. hosted the World Cup in 94. I haven't read anything about that, but it seems awfully coincidental that that's when a U.S. investigation began.

weazel
05-27-2015, 01:18 PM
The part that interests me about the span of years is that it goes back to just before the U.S. hosted the World Cup in 94. I haven't read anything about that, but it seems awfully coincidental that that's when a U.S. investigation began.

I remember hearing rumblings that that WC was bought and paid for. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't but that might have made the U.S think they should investigate it a little bit. They probably did a little digging and found they should really take a deeper look at things. This is really the one of the worst kept secrets in sports though.

In my opinion, I don't care if they are bought and paid for. They should just be open about it and tell countries that it's going to the highest bidder.

MOtorboat
05-27-2015, 01:31 PM
This could get pretty ugly. Sepp Blatter pulling a Bill Belechick.

Northman
05-27-2015, 01:34 PM
This is very interesting news for sure.

BroncoJoe
05-27-2015, 03:00 PM
How can you cheat at soccer? Serious question.

Valar Morghulis
05-27-2015, 03:17 PM

It was not so much cheating at soccer.

The world cup brings a lot of revenue to the host country. It was the bidding process that was corrupt. Officials were getting bribes to vote a certain way

BroncoJoe
05-27-2015, 03:21 PM
It was not so much cheating at soccer.

The world cup brings a lot of revenue to the host country. It was the bidding process that was corrupt. Officials were getting bribes to vote a certain way

Ah - gotcha. I thought it had to do with the actual games played. That makes more sense.

Valar Morghulis
05-27-2015, 03:30 PM
For years this has been like an open secret - FIFA is corrupt. It's hideous, has been for years.

I am just glad that the world police decided they could stand by no longer and intervened, If FIFA wish to be corrupt on US soil in meetings or by using the world class banking facilities - they are not above or beyond the law - and deserve everything they get. Way to go FBI lol.

I am pleased with your interventionist policy - but i would not be surprised if the next president of FIFA was pro-American soccer. You guys don't do anything without thinking about the bigger picture!

Seriously though - The FBI is probably about the only organisation that could pull this off as in the rest of the world FIFA is a monolithic entity that - just like your banks - is too big to fail!

weazel
05-27-2015, 03:51 PM
IOC should be next

BigDaddyBronco
05-27-2015, 04:58 PM
For years this has been like an open secret - FIFA is corrupt. It's hideous, has been for years.

I am just glad that the world police decided they could stand by no longer and intervened, If FIFA wish to be corrupt on US soil in meetings or by using the world class banking facilities - they are not above or beyond the law - and deserve everything they get. Way to go FBI lol.

I am pleased with your interventionist policy - but i would not be surprised if the next president of FIFA was pro-American soccer. You guys don't do anything without thinking about the bigger picture!

Seriously though - The FBI is probably about the only organisation that could pull this off as in the rest of the world FIFA is a monolithic entity that - just like your banks - is too big to fail!

Being pro-American soccer will not help us much. We have all the funding we need, just no system set up to turn kids into great players. Anyone trying to import another countries system into the US to bring us up to speed probably is doomed to fail. We just like High School and College sports too much.

Poet
05-27-2015, 05:02 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/05/27/a-body-count-in-qatar-illustrates-the-consequences-of-fifa-corruption/?tid=sm_fb

There's a body count to this scandal, too.

BroncoJoe
05-27-2015, 05:07 PM
I mean, it's FIFA. Does anyone really care?

:couch:

weazel
05-27-2015, 05:18 PM
I mean, it's FIFA. Does anyone really care?

:couch:

everyone but USA and Canada... I joke, there are a lot of fans in both countries.

Buff
05-28-2015, 10:30 AM

@_zeets FIFA should have known America would bring it down after it didn't accept our bribes for the World Cup.

MOtorboat
05-28-2015, 11:07 AM
You had to know a slimy dude like Warner would be the one to turn on Blatter. Of course, you have to wonder if anything he says is believable.

Slick
05-28-2015, 11:41 AM
Awarding the 2022 World Cup to Qatar was also a huge red flag. It's going to be 118 degrees during the matches.

Buff
05-28-2015, 11:43 AM
Awarding the 2022 World Cup to Qatar was also a huge red flag. It's going to be 118 degrees during the matches.

They had to move the ******* thing to December to accommodate too - I like my world cup in the summer damnit!

Slick
05-28-2015, 11:46 AM
They had to move the ******* thing to December to accommodate too - I like my world cup in the summer damnit!

I hadn't heard about them moving Qatar to December. That really sucks.

Buff
05-28-2015, 11:50 AM
I hadn't heard about them moving Qatar to December. That really sucks.

Yeah, and I think they are still talking about playing games in the middle of the night as well, which might actually benefit us from a time zone perspective... But still begs the question, what the **** were they thinking awarding them the bid?

Timmy!
05-28-2015, 11:53 AM
Lol. Field fairies.

Slick
05-28-2015, 12:51 PM
Yeah, and I think they are still talking about playing games in the middle of the night as well, which might actually benefit us from a time zone perspective... But still begs the question, what the **** were they thinking awarding them the bid?

They were thinking about how much strippers and blow they could buy with the Qatar shieks money.

BroncoNut
05-28-2015, 01:04 PM

:tsk:

if you use your hands that's cheating

BroncoJoe
05-28-2015, 01:53 PM
:tsk:

if you use your hands that's cheating

F-off, Nut.

So, this is soccer. Who cares anyway?

BroncoNut
05-28-2015, 01:56 PM
F-off, Nut.

So, this is soccer. Who cares anyway?

you cared enough to ask the stupid question

BroncoJoe
05-28-2015, 02:00 PM
you cared enough to ask the stupid question

You're in need of a real ass-whooping. I'll be there tomorrow.

Poet
05-28-2015, 02:32 PM

Take it easy on him, he knows not what he does.

BroncoNut
05-28-2015, 02:37 PM

that would be awesome. I'll take you out on the town

OrangeHoof
05-29-2015, 08:13 AM
It's great to know that our Just-Us Department finds nothing wrong with all the crooks and corruption in the Obama government that they have time to waste on low-hanging fruit like this.

CoachChaz
05-29-2015, 08:18 AM
It's great to know that our Just-Us Department finds nothing wrong with all the crooks and corruption in the entire US government that they have time to waste on low-hanging fruit like this.

Edited for accuracy

MOtorboat
05-29-2015, 12:23 PM
Sepp Blatter re-elected.

Thanks Obama.

Buff
05-29-2015, 12:25 PM
Humans are the worst. Reminds me of the financial collapse where the wall street guys who caused it walked with giant bonuses. There is just no way imaginable that this guy should be allowed to stay in power. It's inconceivable.

MOtorboat
05-29-2015, 12:27 PM
Humans are the worst. Reminds me of the financial collapse where the wall street guys who caused it walked with giant bonuses. There is just no way imaginable that this guy should be allowed to stay in power. It's inconceivable.

He's still bribing people. Guaranteed. It's going to be interesting if Wagner actually has something on him.

Slick
05-29-2015, 12:31 PM
Good grief.

weazel
05-29-2015, 12:31 PM
Blatter re-elected as president

Valar Morghulis
05-29-2015, 12:33 PM
Embarrassing

CoachChaz
05-29-2015, 12:53 PM
His opponent "dropped out". Wonder how much he made for that decision

weazel
05-29-2015, 01:14 PM
this is the most attention the sport has ever received... actually a pretty good time for FIFA

FanInAZ
05-29-2015, 03:35 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/jon-stewart-has-a-ball-with-fifa-scandal-120118474945.html

:lol:

MOtorboat
06-02-2015, 11:56 AM
Blatter is resigning.

Valar Morghulis
06-02-2015, 12:10 PM
I bet the FBI told him to

Buff
06-02-2015, 12:11 PM
I'd be pissed if I was the guy who ran against him a few days ago... As if there could have been any other outcome than this.

DenBronx
06-02-2015, 12:19 PM
What a botched up organization.

MOtorboat
06-02-2015, 12:32 PM
I'd be pissed if I was the guy who ran against him a few days ago... As if there could have been any other outcome than this.

I'm sure CONCACAF and UEFA will call for a new election.

Buff
06-02-2015, 12:34 PM
I'm sure CONCACAF and UEFA will call for a new election.

Right, but that's why I'd be pissed. The guy forces his opponent to withdraw, then gives a bullshit tone deaf speech praising himself and FIFA, and then resigns days later? Talk about wasting everyone's time... It was such an inevitable outcome too - like how in the world did no one intervene before the election?

MOtorboat
06-02-2015, 12:42 PM
Right, but that's why I'd be pissed. The guy forces his opponent to withdraw, then gives a bullshit tone deaf speech praising himself and FIFA, and then resigns days later? Talk about wasting everyone's time... It was such an inevitable outcome too - like how in the world did no one intervene before the election?

You're right. It was essentially an ego-driven show of power to the officials in Russia, Africa, the Middle East and Asia who he paid off to vote for him, or paid off their organizations to put them in power, anyway.

FanInAZ
06-02-2015, 03:37 PM
FIFA is a complete train wreck of an organization. I can't fathom who businessmen, whom are presumed to by reasonably intelligent, would allow this to transpire. A sitting President who is under investigation for corruption being allowed to run for, and then subsequently win, reelection. Then he resigns 4 days later? :confused:

Bronco4ever
06-02-2015, 04:20 PM
I bet Roger Goodell loves this. The NFL looks halfway competent compared to FIFA.

FanInAZ
06-04-2015, 03:12 AM
Qatar says "prejudice and racism" behind criticism of 2022 World Cup

Foreign Minister Khaled al-Attiyah said Qatar would one day show "who is behind this campaign against Qatar", suggesting the country was being unfairly targeted over allegations of graft in the vote that won it the Cup, and of abuse of migrant workers.

"It is very difficult for some to digest that an Arab Islamic country has this tournament, as if this right can't be for an Arab state," he told Reuters in an interview in Paris a day after Sepp Blatter's resignation as FIFA president.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/qatar-says-prejudice-racism-behind-criticism-2022-world-174130717--sector.html

Oh, so objecting to the deaths of migrant workers constitutes racism. OK