PDA

View Full Version : Broncos DE Antonio Smith being investigated for Child Abuse

DenBronx
05-21-2015, 08:14 AM
I knew this offseason was too quiet.

Denver Broncos defensive end*Antonio Smith*-- a former Pro Bowler -- is being investigated for alleged child abuse in Texas ... TMZ Sports has learned.

We spoke with the Fort Bend County District Attorney, John Healey, who confirms the child abuse division is handling the case against Smith -- though, so far, no charges have been filed.*

Sources connected to the case tell us ... the accuser claims there are multiple incidents dating back to 2010.

Read rest of article here:
http://m.tmz.com/#Article/2015/05/21/nfls-antonio-smith-investigated-for-child-abuse

DenBronx
05-21-2015, 08:20 AM
Great, he's probably going to get suspended and miss some time.

SR
05-21-2015, 08:32 AM
Great. I live in Fort Bend county.

DenBronx
05-21-2015, 08:34 AM
Silly Texans.

VonDoom
05-21-2015, 08:48 AM
How reliable is TMZ Sports as a source? Asking for a friend.

Hopefully this will be like the Talib thing, where a big deal is made at the beginning and no evidence is found of any actual wrongdoing.

Northman
05-21-2015, 08:52 AM
Who cares, the Broncos need some guys with aggressiveness.

VonDoom
05-21-2015, 09:04 AM

I agree, but I'd personally hope that aggressiveness doesn't translate to abusing children.

SR
05-21-2015, 09:06 AM

Joel approved this comment.

underrated29
05-21-2015, 09:15 AM
Joel approved this comment.

Adrain Peterson approved this thread.

Northman
05-21-2015, 09:56 AM
I agree, but I'd personally hope that aggressiveness doesn't translate to abusing children.

Cant all be choir boys, at least that is what im told. lmao

DenBronx
05-21-2015, 10:36 AM
How reliable is TMZ Sports as a source? Asking for a friend.

Hopefully this will be like the Talib thing, where a big deal is made at the beginning and no evidence is found of any actual wrongdoing.

Not sure how accurate but SI, Denver Post, MHR, 9news, bleacher report and many other websites are reporting it. They are all giving TMZ credit for the story.

VonDoom
05-21-2015, 10:41 AM
Not sure how accurate but SI, Denver Post, MHR, 9news, bleacher report and many other websites are reporting it. They are all giving TMZ credit for the story.

Yeah, I see that the actual news outlets are reporting it now. I first saw it on Twitter this morning and then I saw that you had posted it here, but at that point, no one else had reported it.

DenBronx
05-21-2015, 10:43 AM

Yeah, I see that the actual news outlets are reporting it now. I first saw it on Twitter this morning and then I saw that you had posted it here, but at that point, no one else had reported it.

It also just came on FM104.3 the fan.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-21-2015, 12:44 PM
Texas prosecutors are investigating Broncos defensive tackle Antonio Smith, reportedly on suspicion of child abuse.

"Last night, we became aware for the first time of an allegation involving Antonio Smith," the Broncos said Thursday in a statement. "We are now in the process of gathering more information."

John Healey, the district attorney in Fort Bend County, Texas, located 35 miles outside of Houston, declined to speak about the nature of his office's investigation or the target.

"It is true that the county sheriff's office has received a complaint from an individual," Healey said. "They are, and have been, conducting an investigation."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28161601/texas-prosecutors-confirm-investigation-into-broncos-antonio-smith

Denver Native (Carol)
05-21-2015, 12:46 PM
from same article:

However , Healey told TMZ, which first reported news of the child abuse investigation early Thursday morning, that Smith was the subject of the complaint and that, "We're trying to discern the truth from the untruthfulness of the claim to decide what charges, if any, will be filed."

Healey told The Post that law enforcement has been reviewing the matter for several weeks.

"My office is working with the investigating agency to review their information and further their investigation," he said. "There is nothing imminent."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28161601/texas-prosecutors-confirm-investigation-into-broncos-antonio-smith

silkamilkamonico
05-21-2015, 03:52 PM
If it's true, get rid of the bum.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-21-2015, 04:29 PM
KUSA - According to the Fort Bend County (Texas) Sheriff's Office, the child abuse investigation of Broncos defensive lineman Antonio Smith is sexual in nature.

No charges against Smith have been charged.

"In November 2014, the Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office received a complaint of a criminal allegation against Antonio Smith," the Sheriff's Office said in a statement. "According to Fort Bend County Sheriff Troy Nehls, the allegation against Mr. Smith was sexual in nature.

The Sheriff's Office Criminal Investigation Division conducted a thorough investigation and presented the information to the Fort Bend County District Attorney's Office for review in February, 2015."

rest - http://www.9news.com/story/sports/2015/05/21/broncos-antonio-smith-child-abuse/27706641/

VonDoom
05-21-2015, 04:30 PM
Edit: Carol beat me to it by one minute. "Sexual in nature" is extremely troubling to me.

BigDaddyBronco
05-21-2015, 05:02 PM
Dump his ass.

BroncoWave
05-21-2015, 05:05 PM
If he sexually abused a kid and that is proven in court, he'll never play football again and that will be the least of his worries.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-21-2015, 05:22 PM
Edit: Carol beat me to it by one minute. "Sexual in nature" is extremely troubling to me.

Totally agree if true. It says it was reported in November 2014. Would be interesting to know when it happened, if it did, as he was playing football with the Raiders in Nov 2014

Denver Native (Carol)
05-21-2015, 05:26 PM
I posted this before, and will post it again - from the DP article:

However , Healey told TMZ, which first reported news of the child abuse investigation early Thursday morning, that Smith was the subject of the complaint and that, "We're trying to discern the truth from the untruthfulness of the claim to decide what charges, if any, will be filed."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28161601/texas-prosecutors-confirm-investigation-into-broncos-antonio-smith?source=hot-topic-bar

DenBronx
05-21-2015, 05:26 PM
I dont want a pediphile on our roster.

Will this give Shane Ray anymore time in the field if this bum is gone?

Denver Native (Carol)
05-21-2015, 05:34 PM
GEEZ people - could we first see if he is guilty???? No charges have even been filed as yet.

DenBronx
05-21-2015, 05:42 PM
GEEZ people - could we first see if he is guilty???? No charges have even been filed as yet.

I'm ok with that. But if he is then no reason to keep him on our roster. How long will something like this take to find out if he is or isnt guilty?

TXBRONC
05-21-2015, 07:46 PM

I would think it would.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-21-2015, 08:02 PM

They play different positions, so if it does result in him getting more playing time it will likely be at the expense of Ware playing out of position on passing downs.

DenBronx
05-21-2015, 09:04 PM

They play different positions, so if it does result in him getting more playing time it will likely be at the expense of Ware playing out of position on passing downs.

Both are DEs though right?

SR
05-21-2015, 09:15 PM

Ray weighs 240 pounds. He won't be an end in a 3-4.

Dzone
05-21-2015, 09:17 PM
Well, there are no charges and he's innocent until proven guilty and all that, but those are the kinds of accusations that stick to a person for life. He is branded a pedophile now in the minds of many people, whether he is guilty or not. Broncos could end up catching hell if they bring him back. This hurts. Throw Smith in the scrap heap, he's done

DenBronx
05-21-2015, 09:19 PM

Ray weighs 240 pounds. He won't be an end in a 3-4.

I fully expect him to in Wades defense in pass rushing situations. Remember, Wade is going to run a hybrid and sometimes give teams a 4-3 look too. Depends on the situation..

DenBronx
05-21-2015, 09:21 PM
Well, there are no charges and he's innocent until proven guilty and all that, but those are the kinds of accusations that stick to a person for life. He is branded a pedophile now in the minds of many people, whether he is guilty or not. Broncos could end up catching hell if they bring him back. This hurts. Throw Smith in the scrap heap, he's done

Yeah so he was our one big signing other than Daniels. Do we get back his cap or bonus money and if so who fills in for him?

Dzone
05-21-2015, 09:40 PM
Some bad luck this spring-Losing both Smith and Heuerman. The only real good luck this spring was Shane Ray getting popped for weed

GEM
05-21-2015, 10:25 PM
Nov 2014...and its now 7 mos later and not even an arrest...sounds fishy. What's the best way to ruin someone...accuse them of anything sexual with a child. Seems if this were true, charges would have been filed long ago.

DenBronx
05-21-2015, 11:03 PM
Nov 2014...and its now 7 mos later and not even an arrest...sounds fishy. What's the best way to ruin someone...accuse them of anything sexual with a child. Seems if this were true, charges would have been filed long ago.

Yeah seems real fishy. Hope it's not true.

Dzone
05-22-2015, 12:43 AM
A scorned lunatic ex , hellbent on revenge is often the source of outlandish accusations designed to destroy a mans life at all costs. He might be innocent, but the pedophile label will be hard to shake

Valar Morghulis
05-22-2015, 03:09 AM
If the child made the allegations I would presume he is guilty.

Sexual abuse is not really in a child frame of reference unless they have experienced it.

Of course exceptions apply - but it is rare.

SR
05-22-2015, 03:16 AM
I fully expect him to in Wades defense in pass rushing situations. Remember, Wade is going to run a hybrid and sometimes give teams a 4-3 look too. Depends on the situation..

I don't think you'll see him with his hand in the dirt. More like Ware putting his hand in the dirt and Ray coming in at OLB.

GEM
05-22-2015, 07:31 AM
If the child made the allegations I would presume he is guilty.

Sexual abuse is not really in a child frame of reference unless they have experienced it.

Of course exceptions apply - but it is rare.

Or an ex is claiming sex abuse...investigation ongoing since Nov means there hasn't been enough evidence, circumstantial or physical, to convince the DA in Texas to bring charges. In Texas they'll fry your ass for child abuse of any kind. If he did it, fry him, but until more comes out, I won't be condemning him, not I'm this world of gold diggers and crazy ass bitches.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-22-2015, 07:51 AM

In our system Smith is a DE and Ray is an OLB.

TXBRONC
05-22-2015, 11:14 AM

I still wouldn't be surprised him put a hand in the dirt on some of obvious passing downs.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-22-2015, 11:17 AM
I still wouldn't be surprised him put a hand in the dirt on some of obvious passing downs.

I agree, but the point I was trying to make is I don't want to see Ware bounce inside on those downs because we're short handed on pass rushing DE's.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-22-2015, 11:23 AM
We broke the story ... the Fort Bend County Sheriff's department in Texas has been investigating the Denver Broncos' new defensive end since late last year.

Now, a family source tells us the accuser told investigators the alleged abuse involved repeated sexual contact from December 2010 through January 2014. We're told the accuser is related to Smith, but not an immediate family member.

AND

We're told all the alleged incidents occurred at Smith's home outside Houston. He played for the Texans from 2009 to 2013.

full article - http://www.tmz.com/2015/05/22/antonio-smith-child-abuse-sex-investigation-denver-broncos/

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-22-2015, 11:35 AM
I really hope it's not true. That is an awful thing to happen to a child.

TXBRONC
05-22-2015, 11:40 AM
I agree, but the point I was trying to make is I don't want to see Ware bounce inside on those downs because we're short handed on pass rushing DE's.

As a twist on things it's possible to see something like that every once in awhile. I could more of once of them standing up and other having his hand in the dirt as a defensive end. It also would surprise see same thing on the opposite with Miller and Ray.

DenBronx
05-22-2015, 11:41 AM

Same here and I think some guys are naive if they think Wade won't try that with Ray. We have to find ways to get him on the field. He played DE in college and can play OLB as well, very versatile. So look for when Wade mixes it up a bit you're going to see different looks from Ray to confuse offenses.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-22-2015, 01:09 PM
Same here and I think some guys are naive if they think Wade won't try that with Ray. We have to find ways to get him on the field. He played DE in college and can play OLB as well, very versatile. So look for when Wade mixes it up a bit you're going to see different looks from Ray to confuse offenses.

I agree, but that wasn't necessarily what I was trying to say

Spiritguy
05-22-2015, 07:25 PM
There is a guy that reads MHR who is a career prosecutor and he posted a really good article sharing the process that is currently happening in the investigation and some really thoughtful perspective on how we fans should look at this whole thing. Well worth the time to read.

After reading MHR for roughly eight years, I felt compelled to post for the first time, believing I could offer some insight into the horrible complexity of the Antonio Smith investigation. Bottom line, my heart breaks when I read about allegations like these, knowing that the criminal investigation and possible prosecution will irreparably affect at least the lives of the suspect, the accuser and both of their families. Creating spectacle or engaging in speculation around a case such as this only compounds the injury to the innocent parties, whoever he or she might be, and both of the families. I encourage you to hope for a just outcome and peace for the families.

I have been reading MHR since around 2007. I never posted because the football knowledge of most of the community far surpasses my own. I learned immensely from contributors like hoosierteacher. I am consistently impressed by McGeorge. People may not agree with him at the time, but more often than not he is proven correct in the long run. I have been awed by the collective knowledge on this site, enough so that I have felt my contribution would be little more than clutter. Criminal allegations are, however, something about which I am most knowledgable.

Before moving abroad recently to allow my spouse to work as an attorney in another country, I was a career prosecutor. Over the years I worked my way into roles in which I vertically prosecuted cases. Rather than waiting for detectives to present the results of their investigations, I advised them from the outset, helping them to build stronger cases.

Prosecuting crime is immensely difficult under the best of circumstances, and it is further complicated if (1) it involves acquaintances, (2) the victim is a child, or (3) the defendant is a celebrity. From the little that I know of the case, it appears either two or three of the complicating factors are present.

The American criminal justice system is far from perfect. The falsely accused are sometimes jailed, and the guilty go free. The core of the system, however, is based on an assumption of imperfection. We try very hard to erect barriers to prevent the imprisonment of the innocent.

the rest is here (http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/5/22/8646937/the-trouble-with-justice-a-former-prosecutors-take-on-the)

DenBronx
05-22-2015, 07:41 PM

I agree, but that wasn't necessarily what I was trying to say

Don't worry Al. I'm an expert so just nod your head in agreement.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-22-2015, 07:48 PM
There is a guy that reads MHR who is a career prosecutor and he posted a really good article sharing the process that is currently happening in the investigation and some really thoughtful perspective on how we fans should look at this whole thing. Well worth the time to read.

Thanks for sharing.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-22-2015, 07:49 PM
Don't worry Al. I'm an expert so just nod your head in agreement.

All I'm trying to say is, "I don't want Ware lined up in the 3 or 4 tech spot, damnit."

:D

Denver Native (Carol)
05-22-2015, 08:16 PM
KUSA—A Texas District Attorney is asking for patience during his ongoing investigation of an alleged child abuse complaint filed against Denver Bronco defensive end Antonio Smith.

Fort Bend County D.A. John Healey "acknowledges an ongoing investigation involving Antonio Smith," his office said in a statement released Friday. "The Fort Bend County District Attorney's Office is working with the Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office to further that investigation. No charges have been filed and the complaint is at this point an allegation only."

On Thursday, the Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office said the complaint against Smith was filed last November and was "sexual in nature." The Sheriff's Office added it had completed its investigation and passed on its findings to Healey's office in February.

rest - http://www.9news.com/story/sports/2015/05/22/broncos-antonio-smith-texas/27784391/

Simple Jaded
05-23-2015, 12:24 AM
I say cut him.

The way I look at it, would Denver have signed Smith if they had known about this investigation? Doubt it, so what's the point in waiting?

Denver Native (Carol)
05-25-2015, 07:47 PM
The Broncos face a decision on whether defensive tackle Antonio Smith should practice this week when they return to work Wednesday. Smith is under investigation for alleged child abuse in Texas.

No charges have been filed, despite Fort Bend County District Attorney John Healey possessing the findings from the sheriff's office since February. It is Healey's choice whether to convene a grand jury to hear the evidence or dismiss the case.

The Broncos said they were unaware of the investigation before they signed Smith, 33, to a one-year, $2 million contract in April. The Broncos continue to monitor the situation and could provide Smith with an excused absence this week with the situation pending.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_28187078/broncos-briefs-antonio-smith-may-sit-out-practice

DenBronx
05-25-2015, 08:00 PM
Innocent until proven guilty but this looks bad. If the Broncos outright cut him now do they take a cap hit?

Simple Jaded
05-26-2015, 12:25 AM
Innocent until proven guilty but this looks bad. If the Broncos outright cut him now do they take a cap hit?

Yes and no, they signed him to a one year/$2 MM deal with a $500.000 signing bonus. If I'm not mistaken the signing bonus would be dead money but would save the rest in cap space.

Btw, they don't have to worry about the innocent until proven guilty part, as a matter of fact I'd hope they just cut bait and revisit the situation if he's somehow exonerated. I don't see how he could blame the team considering he never told them about the situation to begin with. And if he holds a grudge who gives a shit? Whatevs Ninja.

Simple Jaded
05-26-2015, 09:42 PM
I wonder if Ben Garland can play DE in a 3-4.

SR
05-26-2015, 10:24 PM

Probably. And safety.

Valar Morghulis
05-27-2015, 12:56 AM

What about bringing back champ Bailey

Dapper Dan
05-27-2015, 10:27 AM
This is why athletes should just wear body cams 24/7

VonDoom
05-27-2015, 10:48 AM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h1 hour ago

Broncos excuse Antonio Smith from OTAs as child abuse probe continues

DenBronx
05-27-2015, 11:41 AM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h1 hour ago

Broncos excuse Antonio Smith from OTAs as child abuse probe continues

That's the right thing to do for the moment.

Man this offseason has royally sucked ass!

VonDoom
05-27-2015, 02:56 PM
Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 9m9 minutes ago

Gary Kubiak said he was told to expect "some answers" in the Antonio Smith case within the next two weeks.

Simple Jaded
05-27-2015, 11:18 PM
Cut him.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-08-2015, 09:37 PM
Have there been any updates on this situation?

VonDoom
06-09-2015, 08:52 AM
Have there been any updates on this situation?

Not that I'm aware of. I'm guessing he will not be at minicamp, since there seems to be no new information right now.

VonDoom
01-11-2016, 01:10 PM
Hey, remember this story? Apparently there actually is finality to it:

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 18m18 minutes ago

Investigation into criminal abuse allegations against #Broncos DE Antonio Smith has concluded. He will not be charged, per Fort Bend D.A.

SR
01-11-2016, 01:46 PM
Good. I knew Fort Bend county would come through.

Joel
01-11-2016, 02:07 PM
Good. I knew Fort Bend county would come through.
Breaking: Adrian Peterson moves from Spring to Sugar Land.... ;)

Slick
01-11-2016, 02:09 PM
Hey, remember this story? Apparently there actually is finality to it:

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 18m18 minutes ago

Investigation into criminal abuse allegations against #Broncos DE Antonio Smith has concluded. He will not be charged, per Fort Bend D.A.

but this won't get nearly the same amount of publicity.

SR
01-11-2016, 03:39 PM
Breaking: Adrian Peterson moves from Spring to Sugar Land.... ;)

(I live in Fort Bend county)

Joel
01-11-2016, 11:04 PM
(I live in Fort Bend county)
Ah, I see: Hometown cop makes good. :tongue:

Simple Jaded
01-12-2016, 01:08 AM
Creepy ****.

SR
01-12-2016, 07:13 AM
Ah, I see: Hometown cop makes good. :tongue:

It might as well be Brazoria county...the county line is about 3/4 of a mile east of me.