PDA

View Full Version : Broncos 3rd round pick TE Jeff Heuerman to miss 2015 season.

DenBronx
05-09-2015, 07:36 PM
Tore his ACL during rookie camp. Great pick....just awesome. TE situation is a disaster!!

Third-round pick Jeff Heuerman suffers torn ACL in practice (via http://ble.ac/teamstream-) http://teamstre.am/1ckalky

From NBC Sports Talk for Android:

Broncos third-round pick Jeff Heuerman suffers torn ACL
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/09/broncos-third-round-pick-jeff-heuerman-suffers-torn-acl/

VonDoom
05-09-2015, 07:39 PM
Damn! This ACL thing seems to be catching for this year's rookies

Tned
05-09-2015, 07:41 PM
From the Broncos:

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Tight end Jeff Heuerman, the Denver Broncos’ third-round selection in the 2015 NFL Draft from Ohio State University, suffered a torn Anterior Cruciate Ligament in his left knee during Saturday afternoon’s rookie minicamp practice.

Heuerman is expected to miss the 2015 season due to the injury.

“I feel terrible for Jeff and this is an unfortunate situation,” Broncos Head Coach Gary Kubiak said. “Jeff was going to be a big part of our team this year, and he’s still going to be a big part of our team and organization in the future.

“He’ll get well and be with us as part of this team throughout his rehabilitation.”

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Forum Runner

Ziggy
05-09-2015, 07:48 PM
Injuries happen. It's the NFL. It gives a chance for one of the other young guys to step up. Joe Don Duncan or Dominique Jones will fill in quite nicely.

SR
05-09-2015, 07:50 PM
Not a good sign

DenBronx
05-09-2015, 07:55 PM
Should of just picked up Collins with the 3rd rounder.

Ziggy
05-09-2015, 07:59 PM

And if Elway did and Collins tore his ACL, you'd be whining because he didn't draft a tight end. Let's face it DB, the only time you post is to complain about something. What happened to you?

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
05-09-2015, 08:04 PM

Pretty terrible comment considering this could have happened to any pick.

DenBronx
05-09-2015, 08:08 PM

And if Elway did and Collins tore his ACL, you'd be whining because he didn't draft a tight end. Let's face it DB, the only time you post is to complain about something. What happened to you?

Lol!!! That was sort of funny.

I never wanted us to draft another TE so your point is moot. And I complain over dumb shit, and frankly shit that needs to get complained about.

DenBronx
05-09-2015, 08:09 PM

Pretty terrible comment considering this could have happened to any pick.

It could happen to anyone, but it happened to our pick making it a bad one, What's your damn point?

Dapper Dan
05-09-2015, 08:14 PM
We should sign more players who don't have ACLs

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
05-09-2015, 08:19 PM
It could happen to anyone, but it happened to our pick making it a bad one, What's your damn point?

I don't think I can make it any clearer for you. Drafting someone else doesn't guarantee the same thing won't happen to them.

DenBronx
05-09-2015, 09:00 PM

I don't think I can make it any clearer for you. Drafting someone else doesn't guarantee the same thing won't happen to them.

We can play what ifs all day. It happened...get over it.

Rick
05-09-2015, 09:07 PM
We can play what ifs all day. It happened...get over it.

I am quoting this with hope you follow your own advice.

MOtorboat
05-09-2015, 09:33 PM
Welp

dogfish
05-09-2015, 10:05 PM
:yardog:

LTC Pain
05-09-2015, 10:08 PM
Piss up a rope :(

spikerman
05-09-2015, 10:19 PM
I'm actually OK wIth the TE situation.

WJK
05-09-2015, 10:22 PM
I don't know how this makes Heuerman's selection a bad pick... Was Dante Fowler a bad pick too? Owen Daniels and Virgil will provide enough production from the tight end spot, and Heuerman will come back stronger next year.

VonDoom
05-09-2015, 10:33 PM
I don't know how this makes Heuerman's selection a bad pick... Was Dante Fowler a bad pick too? Owen Daniels and Virgil will provide enough production from the tight end spot, and Heuerman will come back stronger next year.

Exactly. Legwold said they planned on using him a lot so it sucks that he's gone. But an injury does not automatically make him a bad pick

Simple Jaded
05-09-2015, 10:35 PM
At least he got hurt early he should be ready next offseason.

Wes Saxton and Jean Sifrin were already signed as Cfa's.

dogfish
05-09-2015, 10:52 PM

i don't know about the rest of you, but this'll help me sleep a little sounder tonight. . .

spikerman
05-09-2015, 11:01 PM
i don't know about the rest of you, but this'll help me sleep a little sounder tonight. . .

Glad I could be of help. Pleasant dreams!

dogfish
05-09-2015, 11:06 PM
Glad I could be of help. Pleasant dreams!

thanks for bein' there. spike. . . :D

DenBronx
05-09-2015, 11:07 PM
Is Wesley Duke still available?

Simple Jaded
05-09-2015, 11:14 PM
Is Wesley Duke still available?

They should get that guy they had last, the basketball player, whatshisface?

BroncoWave
05-09-2015, 11:36 PM

This might be the dumbest post I have ever read. Any player could get hurt. That doesn't make it a bad pick. Using your logic, DT was a bad pick.

You are seriously acting ridiculous now.

DenBronx
05-10-2015, 12:27 AM

This might be the dumbest post I have ever read. Any player could get hurt. That doesn't make it a bad pick. Using your logic, DT was a bad pick.

Im saying it was a bad pick because A.) It was a bad pick. We didnt need to draft a TE in round 3 or maybe at all. B.) Dude tore his ACL and isnt even going to play this year. Alot of good that does us when we shouldn't even drafted the bum in round 3.

I might be ridiculous at times but I'm not going to sugar coat anything. It happended. Next.

SoCalImport
05-10-2015, 12:59 AM
bummer. I am confident that Olsen and Green will produce but was just starting to let myself get excited about our rookies. Knock on wood that's the last injury to a Bronco for a while.

Simple Jaded
05-10-2015, 01:49 AM
Colt Lyerla.

Dapper Dan
05-10-2015, 02:33 AM
When is Aaron Hernandez up for parole?

sneakers
05-10-2015, 03:52 AM
Chad Mustard might still be available, same with Jacob Tamme, and Richard Quinn

DenBronx
05-10-2015, 04:07 AM
Call up Joel Dreesen. I know he failed a physical but that was 2 years ago.

Dapper Dan
05-10-2015, 05:31 AM
Should have signed JT and let DT go. DT might get injured and it would prove to be a dumb move.

BroncoWave
05-10-2015, 07:39 AM
Im saying it was a bad pick because A.) It was a bad pick. We didnt need to draft a TE in round 3 or maybe at all. B.) Dude tore his ACL and isnt even going to play this year. Alot of good that does us when we shouldn't even drafted the bum in round 3.

I might be ridiculous at times but I'm not going to sugar coat anything. It happended. Next.

So Blake Griffin must have been a horrible pick for the clippers huh?

Shazam!
05-10-2015, 08:05 AM
Honestly this is not that big a deal. There far more bigger cogs that a catastrophic injury could have affected this team.

Ziggy
05-10-2015, 08:08 AM

DB used to be a good poster. I'm beginning to suspect that his 12 year old brother hacked his account and took it over.

SR
05-10-2015, 09:04 AM

It wasn't two years ago. It was last offseason.

Timmy!
05-10-2015, 12:00 PM
So.....the #3 TE spot is up for grabs then. How will the Broncos ever recover. The horror.

MOtorboat
05-10-2015, 12:58 PM
So.....the #3 TE spot is up for grabs then. How will the Broncos ever recover. The horror.

I was kind of hoping he could rise above the field, myself.

DenBronx
05-10-2015, 01:15 PM

It wasn't two years ago. It was last offseason.

It was May 2013 that he injured his kneecaps in camp and didnt play at all in 2014 correct?

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/5/30/4380728/joel-dreessen-injury-knee-surgery-denver-broncos

DenBronx
05-10-2015, 01:17 PM

Do teams generally spend 3rd round picks on 3rd string TEs? This is news to me. Seems like that's something you shoot for either on the last day of the draft or undrafted prospects.

Shannon Sharpe says hello.

spikerman
05-10-2015, 01:19 PM
I'm waiting by the phone as we speak.

Ziggy
05-10-2015, 01:29 PM

#4 actually.

1. Daniels
2. Green
3. Casey

DenBronx
05-10-2015, 01:30 PM

DB used to be a good poster. I'm beginning to suspect that his 12 year old brother hacked his account and took it over.

I guess a sports forum isn't a place where others can have different opinions? Am I supposed to be happy with the draft pick especially now that he won't even see the field in possibly Mannings last year? And especially since we had a weak offseason. Did we get better this offseason? Other than hiring Kubiak and Dennison what have we done? It will be a pipe dream to say this team won't skip a beat in transistion of coaches and losing so many key players. I like our 1st round pick but that was sort of a luxury pick, long run it makes sense.

Sorry if I'm kurt and brash but I am of the opinion that we didn't get better.

My reaction to our 3rd round pick.
https://youtu.be/hqPRwq3QJsk

SR
05-10-2015, 01:40 PM
It was May 2013 that he injured his kneecaps in camp and didnt play at all in 2014 correct? http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/5/30/4380728/joel-dreessen-injury-knee-surgery-denver-broncos

He played all of 2013-2014. He missed the 2014-2015 season. Last season.

ShaneFalco
05-10-2015, 02:23 PM
not surprised. never healthy in college either.

tomjonesrocks
05-10-2015, 02:33 PM
It's Billy Joe Bob's time to shine.

Poet
05-10-2015, 02:56 PM

You don't ever have to be sorry for being yourself, Kurt!

DenBronx
05-10-2015, 03:00 PM

You don't ever have to be sorry for being yourself, Kurt!

Thanks King! Lol!! You know I'm one of those Broncos fans that are honest about shit right? When my teams bad or does dumb things I'll admit it. Right now there are alot of ? marks so I guess time will tell.

spikerman
05-10-2015, 03:35 PM
Thanks King! Lol!! You know I'm one of those Broncos fans that are honest about shit right? When my teams bad or does dumb things I'll admit it. Right now there are alot of ? marks so I guess time will tell.

You be you, fella. We all have opinions. Obviously, only mine are right but that shouldn't keep anybody from expressing theirs.

Poet
05-10-2015, 04:16 PM
I thought it was a good pick, FWIW.

OrangeHoof
05-10-2015, 05:18 PM
Damn! This ACL thing seems to be catching for this year's rookies

Pretty soon, they'll begin suing the NFL over the long-term effects of ACL injuries and claiming the NFL didn't warn them of the dangers. A few will commit suicide.

Poet
05-10-2015, 05:44 PM
Pretty soon, they'll begin suing the NFL over the long-term effects of ACL injuries and claiming the NFL didn't warn them of the dangers. A few will commit suicide.

???

BroncoWave
05-10-2015, 05:48 PM
???

Failed attempt at humor.

LTC Pain
05-10-2015, 07:29 PM

That's stupid pal.

Dapper Dan
05-10-2015, 07:38 PM
Burn the witch. Burn herrr!

Poet
05-10-2015, 08:33 PM
Swag.

Dzone
05-10-2015, 09:31 PM
It was good until the suicide part. lol

Cugel
05-10-2015, 11:19 PM
Do teams generally spend 3rd round picks on 3rd string TEs? This is news to me. Seems like that's something you shoot for either on the last day of the draft or undrafted prospects.

Shannon Sharpe says hello.

The Broncos picked a guy who was pretty much regarded as a blocking TE. He was not and never will be a replacement for Julius Thomas, he doesn't have remotely that kind of athleticism. Blocking is very important in the new offense however, so he would have been useful, which is why they picked him. Still I was not at all impressed by this pick, and now it appears to have been a bad one since his development will be seriously slowed. Essentially his 2nd year will be another rookie season where he will be learning everything, because he couldn't even participate in drills, let alone get some game experience.

I don't know why he would be "better" next year after spending his entire rookie season in rehab. I'd say that is a recipe for failure. As for comparisons with D.T., it took D.T. 3 years to develop and he has elite talent. Heuerman isn't considered to have elite anything.

So, this is a bad injury. We have to hope it's not the first of many like in 2013 when they lost Ryan Clady, Chris Harris and Von Miller.

DenBronx
05-11-2015, 02:34 AM
Then why not just draft an OL guy if we needed help blocking?

Dapper Dan
05-11-2015, 03:26 AM

In our offense we will be using the TE and the FB to block. That's the way the system works. And we drafted a few offensive linemen.

dogfish
05-11-2015, 05:17 AM

let's not get too crazy now! what kind of wild GM-type person would actually draft an OL guy to block???

let alone two of them and a TE sort of fellow. . .

DenBronx
05-11-2015, 06:40 AM

let's not get too crazy now! what kind of wild GM-type person would actually draft an OL guy to block???

let alone two of them and a TE sort of fellow. . .

The more linemen the better. Did you see our OL last year? Lets not get carried away and think a blocking TE or FB will fix the protection problems.

BroncoWave
05-11-2015, 06:44 AM
The more linemen the better. Did you see our OL last year? Lets not get carried away and think a blocking TE or FB will fix the protection problems.

Dude, 2 of our top 4 picks were o-linemen. Unless you wanted us to take one with every pick, I don't see what your issue is.

DenBronx
05-11-2015, 07:07 AM
But that FB though. That will keep Manning upright.

MNPatsFan
05-11-2015, 08:32 AM
Tore his ACL during rookie camp. Great pick....just awesome. TE situation is a disaster!!

Third-round pick Jeff Heuerman suffers torn ACL in practice (via http://ble.ac/teamstream-) http://teamstre.am/1ckalky

From NBC Sports Talk for Android:

Broncos third-round pick Jeff Heuerman suffers torn ACL
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/09/broncos-third-round-pick-jeff-heuerman-suffers-torn-acl/That really sucks! Hope he has a quick and full recovery. :salute::salute:

I hate to see any player or person get injured and don't ever hope or wish for a player on another team to get injured (unless I am writing as or imitating another poster on this MB).

weazel
05-11-2015, 09:16 AM
horrible pick anyway... well maybe I'm wrong, only time will tell.

G_Money
05-11-2015, 12:32 PM
Thought we might grab Fred Davis to boost the position now that Heuerman is done for the year, but the Pats apparently want all the tight ends. Zach Miller's still out there, right? Maybe he wants a cheap one-year deal with a throwing QB and TE-friendly offense to boost his profile for maybe his last multi-year deal. He's gotta prove he can stay healthy, it's a win-win as far as insurance goes.

I kind of expect another TE signing. The TE is important in this offense, and we need a FB/H-Back, and if something happens to Daniels (God Forbid) we can't really afford to scrap the TE portions of the offense entirely - especially if our RT needs some blocking help to keep Peyton from getting killed.

Rick
05-11-2015, 12:35 PM
I could see them get another guy I guess but I don't see the value in it, Casey can play TE for depth. Don't see why we need more than Danials, Green and Casey as I think Heuerman was drafted to replace Daniels next year anyway.

CoachChaz
05-11-2015, 12:40 PM
If we were in dire need of a TE, then I would have been ok with the Heuerman pick. My only real concern with it at the time is that it seemed...and still does...like we were drafting for the future. Even if 100% healthy, Heuerman would likely have spent the year learning and if lucky, might have ended up with 20 catches on the year. The bulk of his play time would have likely been spent as a blocker. That being said, using Green and Daniels while Heuerman gets healthy isnt too far of a stretch from where we would been anyway.

As far as drafting another OL...I'm just not sure what the complaint is. We drafted 2 last year, two this year and signed a few as well. Once they are all signed, that gives us 14 linemen to choose 5 from. Was another one drafted in the 3rd round really going to make us a better team than drafting a TE for the future? I guess I could understand complaining about the Heuerman selection more if it was used in defense of something we need now, like safety or ILB depth. I just didnt see any OL available at the time that could be considered "no brainer" starting material over the collection we currently have.

G_Money
05-11-2015, 12:50 PM
Agreed. Heuerman was definitely a pick for the future - a blocking H-Back now who can play FB and catch a few passes, and move into a full-time TE role in a couple of years. I expect Green to be slid into that FB/H-Back role now and for Daniels to be the starter. I still think the Broncos need another body there, but we'll see if the Broncos agree.

The Broncos seemed to draft a lot of guys who might contribute a little this year and more in future years. Either some of them are gonna make more of an immediate impact than I think, or Elway doesn't think Manning can get it done and is trying to make sure the Broncos don't pull a Colts and swan-dive off a cliff in their first year without Manning.

That takes more trust in Oz than I have (Siemian has as good a shot of being a Pro Bowler IMO) so I hope we either figure out that miracle for Peyton or find that Kubes runs the perfect system for Oz. Fingers crossed that both are true, I guess.

VonDoom
05-11-2015, 12:58 PM
Daniels and Green should be fine as all around TE this year, with Casey probably manning the FB role. Unless Joe Don Duncan makes the roster, since I think that's a better fit for him with Casey becoming more of a third TE. We also (currently) have Dominique Jones. Could we use someone else? I guess so. Heuerman probably would have gotten some work as the third TE and learned the offense, but I don't know if we need a FA to fit that spot. Last year, our third TE was Tamme, who caught all of 14 passes and with the exception of the nice TD catch against Seattle was basically invisible.

CoachChaz
05-11-2015, 12:59 PM
Agreed. Heuerman was definitely a pick for the future - a blocking H-Back now who can play FB and catch a few passes, and move into a full-time TE role in a couple of years. I expect Green to be slid into that FB/H-Back role now and for Daniels to be the starter. I still think the Broncos need another body there, but we'll see if the Broncos agree.

The Broncos seemed to draft a lot of guys who might contribute a little this year and more in future years. Either some of them are gonna make more of an immediate impact than I think, or Elway doesn't think Manning can get it done and is trying to make sure the Broncos don't pull a Colts and swan-dive off a cliff in their first year without Manning.

That takes more trust in Oz than I have (Siemian has as good a shot of being a Pro Bowler IMO) so I hope we either figure out that miracle for Peyton or find that Kubes runs the perfect system for Oz. Fingers crossed that both are true, I guess.

Totally on board with this assessment. Can Ray, Sambrailo, Heuerman (pre-injury), Garcia, Doss be used this year? Sure. But isnt it obvious that they are in place moreso for the future when the likes of Ware, Daniels, Talib, etc are gone? It's great to draft for the future...but that is usually reserved for teams that have that luxury. We didnt. So, it wouldnt surprise me if this draft and the next is spent on the post-Manning phase of this organization.

VonDoom
05-11-2015, 01:09 PM
Daniels and Green should be fine as all around TE this year, with Casey probably manning the FB role. Unless Joe Don Duncan makes the roster, since I think that's a better fit for him with Casey becoming more of a third TE. We also (currently) have Dominique Jones. Could we use someone else? I guess so. Heuerman probably would have gotten some work as the third TE and learned the offense, but I don't know if we need a FA to fit that spot. Last year, our third TE was Tamme, who caught all of 14 passes and with the exception of the nice TD catch against Seattle was basically invisible.

Of course, I could be totally wrong:

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 10m10 minutes ago

#Broncos looking around at TEs after Heuerman's injury. Could see them signing one this week, even as soon as Tuesday or Wednesday.

underrated29
05-11-2015, 01:17 PM
I see Garcia and Ty starting this year.

Ray will see tons of PT and Heuerman would have seen quite a bit of reps as well. Not starting reps, but quite a few sub reps.

OLINE:

Clady,Max,Gradkowski, Vasquez, Ty

I am really pulling for paradis because I have not seen the traded C play, but his stories bother me a ton. Paradis I like!

So imo, we have 2 starters right out of the gate on the OL. Ray is not going to supplant Ware imo, but he will be rotated a ton to keep Demarcus fresh...So I would count him as a starter too.
Doss may be able to supplant Tony Carter, but that's about as far as he will get imo. He could perhaps be tried at FS...I wouldn't mind him there and think we need the depth but I would be very worried if he starts.

3 starters, Heuerman makes 4. Doss maybe as a sub. To me it looks like a now and future draft.

underrated29
05-11-2015, 01:18 PM
And to pick up from Gmoney- I would love Zach Miller here. He can block first and foremost and is a great pass catcher. I think he has just been a little misused and a little injury unlucky.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-11-2015, 01:28 PM
Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 44m

Roster update....Broncos also waived undrafted rookie WR Matt Miller today...roster stands at 86. They have four available spots.

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 1h

#Broncos at 87 players now as veteran players returned to offseason work this morning -- have three spots open after waiving G Jon Halapio

CoachChaz
05-11-2015, 02:22 PM
I see Garcia and Ty starting this year.

Ray will see tons of PT and Heuerman would have seen quite a bit of reps as well. Not starting reps, but quite a few sub reps.

OLINE:

Clady,Max,Gradkowski, Vasquez, Ty

I am really pulling for paradis because I have not seen the traded C play, but his stories bother me a ton. Paradis I like!

So imo, we have 2 starters right out of the gate on the OL. Ray is not going to supplant Ware imo, but he will be rotated a ton to keep Demarcus fresh...So I would count him as a starter too.
Doss may be able to supplant Tony Carter, but that's about as far as he will get imo. He could perhaps be tried at FS...I wouldn't mind him there and think we need the depth but I would be very worried if he starts.

3 starters, Heuerman makes 4. Doss maybe as a sub. To me it looks like a now and future draft.

And if you're right, it furthers the evidence that we just simply arent ready to compete this year if we are relying on 4 rookies to contribute significantly.

That being said...I think it's going to take quite a bit of miracle coaching to get Sambrailo and Garcia ready to be effective starters by opening day. Especially to the point of playing of the level of a Super Bowl contending team.

G_Money
05-11-2015, 02:43 PM
It normally takes quite a few games for rookies to get acclimated to this blocking system. In the Shanahan days it was not uncommon to sit rookies for a year just so they could get a handle on the nuances. Since Kubes basically uses the ZBS from the 90s Broncos teams (updated for rules tweaks, of course) it doesn't make for the easiest transition. College ZBS has caught up over the intervening time, so maybe the delay won't be as pronounced. I'm doubting we'll get two rooks as Week One starters on the OL, though.

And if we do, that's probably a bad thing and John failed in FA.

underrated29
05-11-2015, 02:46 PM
And if you're right, it furthers the evidence that we just simply arent ready to compete this year if we are relying on 4 rookies to contribute significantly.

That being said...I think it's going to take quite a bit of miracle coaching to get Sambrailo and Garcia ready to be effective starters by opening day. Especially to the point of playing of the level of a Super Bowl contending team.

Why? Didn't the seabirds have 4 contribute when they won it? Didn't the pats last year? I know they had 1 or 2 on the OL and I feel like they did at CB or S too but I cant remember for certain. I haven't looked at the numbers but I would guess a lot of good teams have several rookies starting for them.
I think the seahawks did this year too. The WR, the DL guy, didn't they also start an OL guy too?

When we went to the SB who did we have starting? Wolfe? Ball playing significant time, Trevathan? Im all mixed up on the draft years now.

Either way, I cannot agree. We need a starter at RT...its schofield or the rookie. No other way around it. Shane Ray seems to be a pro bowl level guy- I am sure he will find the field significantly. That doesn't hurt us it only helps. I don't know about Shelly smith but I like Mad Max, if he beats out the vet wouldn't that be a good thing?

underrated29
05-11-2015, 02:47 PM
It normally takes quite a few games for rookies to get acclimated to this blocking system. In the Shanahan days it was not uncommon to sit rookies for a year just so they could get a handle on the nuances. Since Kubes basically uses the ZBS from the 90s Broncos teams (updated for rules tweaks, of course) it doesn't make for the easiest transition. College ZBS has caught up over the intervening time, so maybe the delay won't be as pronounced. I'm doubting we'll get two rooks as Week One starters on the OL, though.

And if we do, that's probably a bad thing and John failed in FA.

What do you see OL wise?

Clady, Shelly, Gradkowski, Vaz, Schofield?

CoachChaz
05-11-2015, 02:54 PM
Pats had Stork as a rookie starter...and that was it.

The year before, Seattle only had one rookie even play in the Super Bowl (Luke Willson) and it wasnt as a starter.

You can look it up throughout history...multiple rookie starters DO NOT make a significant impact on Super Bowl champion teams.

CoachChaz
05-11-2015, 02:56 PM
What do you see OL wise?

If I was a gambler...that would be my guess. With Ty having an outside shot at RT if he shows significant improvements in strength and the ability to transition quickly.

Dapper Dan
05-11-2015, 09:28 PM
Why do the Broncos need another TE exactly? Won't the 3 we have do for the season?

Simple Jaded
05-11-2015, 09:37 PM
What do you see OL wise?

If Schofield is up to the task there's just no way Smith can beat out Sambrailo, in which case I would hope Smith gets a shot at C.

Paradis even, anything that keeps Gradkowski off the field or (even better) the team altogether.

DenBronx
05-11-2015, 09:46 PM
Screw Zach Miller....go get Jermaine Gresham instead if we have to get another TE.

CoachChaz
05-11-2015, 10:05 PM
Screw Zach Miller....go get Jermaine Gresham instead if we have to get another TE.

No, for a few reasons...

1. Gresham is still a FA because no other team is willing to meet his contract demands, so he won't be cheap or short term.

2. If Heuerman is the future, no sense in signing someone of starter quality to a multi-year deal right now. Especially if it's an expensive one.

3. He just had a recent back surgery.

Miller on a 1 year deal (if he'd accept it), would be a much better plan.

VonDoom
05-11-2015, 10:12 PM
No, for a few reasons...

1. Gresham is still a FA because no other team is willing to meet his contract demands, so he won't be cheap or short term.

2. If Heuerman is the future, no sense in signing someone of starter quality to a multi-year deal right now. Especially if it's an expensive one.

I'm fine if we sign Miller on a cheap one year deal. I imagine most people on this board would bitch about us signing a player with a history of injury, though

Ziggy
05-11-2015, 10:15 PM
No, for a few reasons...

Gresham had back surgery in March. He's still recovering. Miller is coming off of ankle surgery, his second in a year.

CoachChaz
05-11-2015, 10:18 PM
I'm ok with an injury if I'm only investing in the guy for one year. Gresham won't sign a deal like that.

Ziggy
05-11-2015, 10:20 PM
I'm ok with an injury if I'm only investing in the guy for one year. Gresham won't sign a deal like that.

After this last draft, it seems that the Broncos front office is as well.

DenBronx
05-11-2015, 11:22 PM

Earlier in FA period Gresham played hardball. That didn't work out and now he might end up bring one of those bargain basement FAs that has to take a 1yr deal. Id actually quit bitching as much about Thomas if we picked him up because I believe Gresham can be a hell of alot better on our team than what he was for Cincy.

DenBronx
05-11-2015, 11:23 PM
Still would like to pick Welker back up for slot. He's cleared to play, wants to play, knows our system and probably would come on a 1yr deal also.

Valar Morghulis
05-12-2015, 03:18 AM
Still would like to pick Welker back up for slot. He's cleared to play, wants to play, knows our system and probably would come on a 1yr deal also.

I agree.

Good mentor as well - probably on veteran minimum

BroncoWave
05-12-2015, 06:31 AM
Pass on Welker. Dude is washed up and has generated literally zero interest from around the league this offseason. Having someone who can be a good mentor is fine and dandy, but it's useless if he can't play anymore. At that point, might as well just hire him as a coach.

CoachChaz
05-12-2015, 07:01 AM

After this last draft, it seems that the Broncos front office is as well.

Except they'll be investing a lot longer in these injured kids.

TXBRONC
05-12-2015, 07:30 AM

Same here.

DenBronx
05-12-2015, 10:53 AM
Pass on Welker. Dude is washed up and has generated literally zero interest from around the league this offseason. Having someone who can be a good mentor is fine and dandy, but it's useless if he can't play anymore. At that point, might as well just hire him as a coach.

Oh ok thanks for your opinion. Ill forward it to Mr Elway.

BroncoWave
05-12-2015, 02:47 PM
Oh ok thanks for your opinion. Ill forward it to Mr Elway.

I have a feeling Elway is smarter than to bring Welker back and thus doesn't need my input on the matter. :D

Northman
05-12-2015, 02:53 PM
I have a feeling Elway is smarter than to bring Welker back and thus doesn't need my input on the matter. :D

Indeed.

I remember people thought Champ still had some left in the tank but even the Saints ended up cutting him. Sometimes the writing is just on the wall.

VonDoom
05-12-2015, 04:27 PM
We were awarded TE Marcel Jensen, who was waived by the Jags yesterday and will solve all of our remaining TE issues

VonDoom
05-12-2015, 04:36 PM
We also claimed WR / return guy Solomon Patton from TB (didn't know where else to put this)

LTC Pain
05-12-2015, 04:49 PM
We were awarded TE Marcel Jensen, who was waived by the Jags yesterday and will solve all of our remaining TE issues

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/marcel-jensen?id=2543713

LTC Pain
05-12-2015, 05:02 PM
We also claimed WR / return guy Solomon Patton from TB (didn't know where else to put this)

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/solomon-patton?id=2543709

CoachChaz
05-12-2015, 06:07 PM

Kind of a Julius Thomas clone.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-12-2015, 06:18 PM
DENVER -- Three days after losing rookie tight end Jeff Heuerman to a torn anterior cruciate ligament, Executive Vice President/General Manager John Elway and Head Coach Gary Kubiak continued to pick up the pieces and move forward.

The third-round pick was integral to the Broncos' plans at tight end for 2015, and their long-term goals for him remain the same, even though he is not expected to play this year.

"He's going to be in the meetings, part of the team. He's going to help us coach the tight ends, and he's going to have a great career here," Kubiak said after speaking with Elway at the John Lynch Salute the Stars luncheon Tuesday.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-pick-up-the-pieces-after-Heuerman-injury/9160e285-c127-4c1f-af99-f6dac711296b

spikerman
05-12-2015, 06:36 PM

It's a different system.

VonDoom
05-12-2015, 07:23 PM

That scouting report posted had him at 6' 6", 259 lbs and a former basketball player, so I can definitely see that. If he makes the roster as the third TE, it might be fun to see if he can out muscle a DB for a catch or two a game. I can live with that if we're just looking for a body with potential to be more.

dogfish
05-12-2015, 09:10 PM
It's a different system.

one that places a premium on wide receivers blocking, and running after the catch. . . besides, it's time for somebody younger and sturdier than welker. . .

DenBronx
05-12-2015, 11:04 PM

It's a different system.

So the rest of the team should just forget about it then too right? If guys like DT or Sanders can pick up the system then id bet my next check Welker could too.

Poet
05-12-2015, 11:05 PM
I think what they're saying is that the system probably doesn't play to his strengths, and it's a square peg round hole type deal.

Valar Morghulis
05-12-2015, 11:39 PM
If guys like DT or Sanders can pick up the system then id bet my next check Welker could too.

Racist

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-13-2015, 12:15 AM

You mean he'll play 8 games this year?

Dzone
05-13-2015, 12:26 AM
Elway is a genius

Simple Jaded
05-13-2015, 01:15 AM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/marcel-jensen?id=2543713

Matt Lepsis.

TXBRONC
05-13-2015, 07:07 AM
I'm fine if we sign Miller on a cheap one year deal. I imagine most people on this board would bitch about us signing a player with a history of injury, though

There would be more wailing here than at the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem. :D

CoachChaz
05-13-2015, 10:49 AM
You mean he'll play 8 games this year?

Doubtful. But more because of "rawness" than injury

spikerman
05-13-2015, 05:00 PM
So the rest of the team should just forget about it then too right? If guys like DT or Sanders can pick up the system then id bet my next check Welker could too.

Ummmm, no. One of the advantages that you gave to bringing in Welker was the he "knows the system." I was simply pointing out that it's a different system, so that's not an advantage.

Cugel
05-13-2015, 06:36 PM

I seriously doubt that Elway is counting on Sambrailo or Garcia being starters in their rookie year. He stated publicly last month that they evaluate draft picks by asking themselves whether they foresee the player becoming a starter in his second season, and that if the answer is "yes" then they consider drafting him.

I can't imagine a clearer statement of their draft policy than that: i.e. they are not drafting and expecting an immediate starter and impact player year one for any of their picks.

Now, they might get it from some positions: e.g. a RB can very often contribute year one. Last year first round pick, CB Bradley Roby was a regular contributor by mid-season and could fill in and probably do a pretty good job as a starter if either Chris Harris or Aquib Talib went down. But, Cody Latimer was little used last year, although he is expected to be a major contributor this season, and might even replace D.T. next season if they didn't get a long term contract done and he just elected to sign the franchise tender and become an unrestricted FA next year (this is a possibility if his hold-out becomes acrimonious since Elway is already clearly p.o.'d at him).

I would expect this year's rookies to do the same. They took 5 players in the 5th-7th rounds, and probably no more than 1 of them at most will make the 53 man roster.