PDA

View Full Version : Malik Jackson proves less is more, maybe way more in 3-4 'Defense

Denver Native (Carol)
05-07-2015, 07:59 PM
No explanation of why the Broncos' defense will improve this season can be complete without mentioning Malik Jackson.

He holds an interesting distinction: he may be the fourth-best known pass rusher on his team but he ranked as the third-most productive 4-3 defensive end in the NFL last season.

Jackson carries a lower profile than Von Miller, DeMarcus Ware, and at least for now, first-round draft pick Shane Ray. Jackson, though, believes he will transition seamlessly to the new 3-4 scheme run by defensive coordinator Wade Phillips after a first look this week.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28072296/malik-jackson-proves-less-is-more-maybe-way

SoCalImport
05-07-2015, 08:24 PM
"The same could be said for the 25-year old Jackson, who stands 6-foot-5, 293 pounds, leaving him just big enough to stymie the run and fast enough to reach the quarterback."

Geez. I honestly didn't realise the man ran that heavy. If Malik was just shy of 300lbs last season he moves amazingly well for being that heavy. Can't wait to see this D develope with Wolfe and Jackson and all our Speedy pass-rush artists. Could be awesome

SR
05-07-2015, 08:38 PM
"The same could be said for the 25-year old Jackson, who stands 6-foot-5, 293 pounds, leaving him just big enough to stymie the run and fast enough to reach the quarterback." Geez. I honestly didn't realise the man ran that heavy. If Malik was just shy of 300lbs last season he moves amazingly well for being that heavy. Can't wait to see this D develope with Wolfe and Jackson and all our Speedy pass-rush artists. Could be awesome

He's mammoth and pretty lean, as is Wolfe. I think both of them will see a lot of time at DE. Bigger ends like them are preferred for a 3-4.

Simple Jaded
05-07-2015, 10:41 PM
They should extend him before the season, I think.

Dapper Dan
05-08-2015, 12:44 AM

Maybe he'll get caught with weed or fail a drug test. Then we will get him cheap.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-08-2015, 08:55 AM

He clearly stated that this is a contract year. He knows what he's capable of, so Denver won't be able to do that if they're looking to get a low budget deal with him.

Simple Jaded
05-09-2015, 10:52 PM
He clearly stated that this is a contract year. He knows what he's capable of, so Denver won't be able to do that if they're looking to get a low budget deal with him.

But if they take it seriously and make him a real offer, like with Harris, maybe they can get him done.

Simple Jaded
05-09-2015, 11:09 PM
Btw, this struck me about Del Rio's D.

"It kind of gives us a little more leeway to go straight and get the one-on-one blocks," Jackson said. "It gives us more free range and get more pass rush opportunities instead of staying on blocks".

I think this was a huge reason for the frustration we had about pass rushers the last few seasons, especially against some mobile QB's.

Ziggy
05-10-2015, 07:56 AM
Yeah, Del Rio's defense is a sit, read, and then react defense. Wade's defense is an attack defense. Night and day difference. The lineman on this team outside of Pot Roast all fit better in Wade's scheme. Time to see the kind of talent they really have. As soon as the ball is snapped, our line will be shooting a gap to attack the play now. I think Sly fits perfectly at nose tackle in this scheme. The one thing we're missing is that big thumper at ILBer. Other than that, this defense was made for an attacking 3-4.

NightTerror218
05-10-2015, 08:32 PM
Yeah, Del Rio's defense is a sit, read, and then react defense. Wade's defense is an attack defense. Night and day difference. The lineman on this team outside of Pot Roast all fit better in Wade's scheme. Time to see the kind of talent they really have. As soon as the ball is snapped, our line will be shooting a gap to attack the play now. I think Sly fits perfectly at nose tackle in this scheme. The one thing we're missing is that big thumper at ILBer. Other than that, this defense was made for an attacking 3-4.

This could hurt the run defense though...middle LB will be key. If they are attacking better chance for a hole for RB.