PDA

View Full Version : Broncos waive OL Paul Cornick & WR Jeremy Kelley

VonDoom
05-04-2015, 03:37 PM
We needed to make two roster moves in order to sign our new draft class, so I guess these were them:

Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 11m11 minutes ago

The #Broncos have waived OL Paul Cornick and WR Jeremy Kelley.

I guess we'll need someone else to be our 6th OL for running downs this year.

Edit: correction - we only *needed* to make one roster move. This leaves us with one spot open:

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 2m2 minutes ago

With roster moves today -- Cornick and Kelley released to go with 9 undrafteds added -- #Broncos roster at 89. Have one spot open.

weazel
05-04-2015, 03:38 PM
guess that's why they spent a 3rd round pick on a blocking TE

Hardwired
05-04-2015, 03:41 PM
Good to know we're leaving a roster spot open for Collins. :)

VonDoom
05-04-2015, 03:46 PM
Good to know we're leaving a roster spot open for Collins. :)

Yeah, us and 31 other teams, probably.

Buff
05-04-2015, 03:47 PM
Remember when we were hoping that Cornick could block last year, but then it turned out he cannot block? That sucked.

G_Money
05-04-2015, 04:09 PM
Remember when we were hoping that Cornick could block last year, but then it turned out he cannot block? That sucked.

Let's just hope we don't have to replace "Cornick" with "Shelly Smith" in that sentence after this year.

Davii
05-04-2015, 05:01 PM
Let's just hope we don't have to replace "Cornick" with "Shelly Smith" in that sentence after this year.

Do you think he got called "Smelly Shelly" growing up?

tomjonesrocks
05-04-2015, 05:13 PM
Yeah, us and 31 other teams, probably.

Hoodie or Carroll already have him under contract I'm sure.

TXBRONC
05-04-2015, 05:51 PM
guess that's why they spent a 3rd round pick on a blocking TE

They didn't. The Broncos spent a third round pick on a tight end who can catch passes as well as block.

Bronco4ever
05-04-2015, 06:14 PM
Making room to sign La'el Collins? :dancing:

WJK
05-04-2015, 07:44 PM
I read it as Jeremy Kerley...

Dzone
05-04-2015, 07:46 PM
Cornick was terrible. The fact that he was a starter Just shows how dreadful the Oline was last year .

Simple Jaded
05-04-2015, 10:29 PM
Had to cut that 6-6 Freakalete to make room for more Eddie McCaffrey wanna-bes.

VonDoom
05-05-2015, 05:07 PM
Not surprisingly, John Fox and the Bears picked up Cornick

Denver Native (Carol)
05-05-2015, 08:57 PM
Not surprisingly, John Fox and the Bears picked up Cornick

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 3h

John Fox and Adam Gase obviously think they have a place for him as Bears claim Paul Cornick off waivers from #Broncos -- was waived on Mon.

VonDoom
05-08-2015, 08:15 AM
That didn't last long - Cornick failed his Bears physical:

Something the Bears found in Cornick’s physical is going to keep that from happening, however. The Bears put Cornick back on waivers on Thursday with a failed physical designation. There’s no word on what kept Cornick from getting the green light.

The rest: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/08/bears-waive-paul-cornick-after-failed-physical/

Cugel
05-10-2015, 11:32 PM
They didn't. The Broncos spent a third round pick on a tight end who can catch passes as well as block.

No, they drafted a guy who had a mediocre career in college and was considered a later round pick:

From NFL.Com: Weaknesses (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/jeff-heuerman?id=2552399) Has weight-room strength, but it doesn't translate at the point of attack. Rounds off routes. Struggles to get separation at the top of the route. Lacks functional core strength. Can be rag-dolled in pass protection. Gets redirected into his routes. Struggles to win the edge as a run blocker. Limited college production.
Draft Projection Round 4 or 5

This doesn't mean he was worthless of course. Different teams evaluate players differently. It does mean however, that the Broncos were not getting a guy who projects to be a great TE prospect. A 4th or 5th round grade means scouts at NFL.com evaluate him as "just a guy" who will fill in your roster, but isn't expected to be an impact player and will struggle to become a starter.

In the ZBS he could have been better than that, but he's not exactly a huge weapon. He was going to be the #3 TE and he will be again next year.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-10-2015, 11:40 PM
No, they drafted a guy who had a mediocre career in college and was considered a later round pick:

This doesn't mean he was worthless of course. Different teams evaluate players differently. It does mean however, that the Broncos were not getting a guy who projects to be a great TE prospect. A 4th or 5th round grade means scouts at NFL.com evaluate him as "just a guy" who will fill in your roster, but isn't expected to be an impact player and will struggle to become a starter.

In the ZBS he could have been better than that, but he's not exactly a huge weapon. He was going to be the #3 TE and he will be again next year.

Charles Davis loved the guy

underrated29
05-11-2015, 12:22 AM
I liked him too.

Our 4th rd comp was basically a 5th anyway. He would never ever have lasted to that pick. After that there was small te oleary with lack of pass pro skills or Jesse James with lack of separation skills. We needed a te and knew we were going to draft one. I'll take a stud for the future anyday. I still like virg a ton