PDA

View Full Version : Elway/Broncos still committed to Brock Osweiler

Northman
05-02-2015, 10:00 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/13012/broncos-pass-on-quarterbacks-still-committed-to-brock-osweiler-for-future

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Since the Denver Broncos (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/den/denver-broncos) selected Brock Osweiler (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14879/brock-osweiler) in the second round of the 2012 draft, the team’s backup quarterback has consistently been a source of questions for those who wondered why the Broncos used such a premium pick on a quarterback the year they signed Peyton Manning (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/1428/peyton-manning).

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nfl/players/full/14879.png&w=65&h=90&scale=crop&background=0xcccccc&transparent=false

Osweiler is now set to begin his fourth season with the team, is in the final year of his contract and has attempted just 30 passes for the Broncos to go with one career touchdown pass, which came in the 2014 regular-season finale. In the meantime, Manning has put together three Pro Bowl seasons on the way to three division titles.

But Friday night, after the third round of the draft had drawn to a close, Broncos executive vice president of football operations/general manager John Elway re-affirmed his commitment to Osweiler as Manning's backup now and the potential starter in the future just after the team had passed on quarterbacks during the first two days of the draft.

The Broncos selected Ohio State tight end Jeff Heuerman (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/46913/jeff-heuerman) at No. 92 overall with Baylor quarterback Bryce Petty (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/46890/bryce-petty) and UCLA quarterback Brett Hundley (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/46951/brett-hundley) still on the board. Asked if the Broncos had considered taking a quarterback Friday, Elway said, after an extended pause: “Uh, no, no we didn’t."

A bit later, Elway added: “Everybody wants to kick Brock to the curb. We drafted him for a reason."

Ravage!!!
05-02-2015, 10:07 AM
Although I admit that from what I've seen on the field, I'm not impressed. HOWEVER, I also recognize that I haven't hardly seen diddly-squat as far as giving him a chance. He's a 2nd round pick, and very well could have been the #1 QB in 2013. That's not that long ago, and the kid has some serious talent.

I don't think it makes sense to kick him to the curb considering the guy keeping him OFF the field is one of the greatest QBs to every play the game.

Tned
05-02-2015, 10:28 AM
Hopefully this season, whether it's big leads or meaningless games at the end of the season, Brock will get some significant playing time to be evaluated. Obviously, they see things outside of games that we don't, but just because he can make the throws in practice, doesn't mean he can pull it off in games.

Northman
05-02-2015, 10:32 AM
Im sure Elway and company will figure it out once Manning retires. Im sure they will have alternate plans in case Brock doesnt work out but im glad they are standing behind the kid despite how much time he has had to sit.

Cugel
05-02-2015, 01:07 PM
Im sure Elway and company will figure it out once Manning retires. Im sure they will have alternate plans in case Brock doesnt work out but im glad they are standing behind the kid despite how much time he has had to sit.

What is Elway going to say? "We've evaluated Osweiler and we don't think he's our future franchise QB, but we're going to try and re-sign him and let him compete for a job next year if we can't convince Peyton to play out his contract? And then we'll try and draft a guy and let him sit for a year and then take over in 2017."

If Peyton has a good season and stays away from injury, they may very well try and bring him back at age 40 for another season. Why not? it's not as if Brock is anything special.

The Broncos have seen more of Brock Osweiler than anybody. They see him in practice, and in meetings, etc. that are closed to the public. Just because they didn't draft a QB this year doesn't mean anything at all.

If they really believed Brock Osweiler was their "Franchise QB of the future" why would they bring Peyton back for one last desperate ride? Why not bring in Brock and get him started on what they hope will be a 10+ year career as their starting QB?

That's what fans were arguing this spring, no? "Let's see what we've got in Osweiler!" Well, clearly they don't think it's much or there would be little point in bringing back Peyton and paying him $15 million instead of starting Brock and paying him less than $1 million. Think about it! They could have re-signed Pot-Roast, and Julius Thomas, and Rahim Moore, Nate Irving and Orlando Franklin, plus added a FA or two for $20 million, which they would have saved by releasing Peyton.

If Brock really is the answer he's going to need to start at some point, and the sooner the better, no? The sooner he starts, the sooner he gets the experience necessary to take the team to a SB.

But, what if privately they really think "this guy's mediocre at best". What are they going to do then?

Answer: Exactly what they did do. Bring back Peyton for one more year and hope for the best. Possibly convince Peyton to come back in 2016 too and fulfill his 5 year contract. After all, Peyton insisted indignantly right up till the last month of the season that "of course" he intended to play out his contract, which would mean not only 2015, but 2016 as well.

They may simply have concluded this is a suck year for Qbs. The only 2 decent prospects in the draft went 1 - 2 in the first round and NOBODY had any chance to trade for them. Philly tried desperately to get Mariota, but the Titans told them to take a hike.

If they don't draft a QB in 2016 then we'll know they really believe in Brock, but don't hold your breath. :coffee:

Simple Jaded
05-02-2015, 01:15 PM
Good for Brock, hang in there.

Simple Jaded
05-02-2015, 01:17 PM
That last line of Cugals post was especially full of shit, the Broncos will need to draft a QB in 2016 regardless of whether or not they believe in Osweiler. Period.

Cugel
05-02-2015, 01:23 PM
That last line of Cugals post was especially full of shit, the Broncos will need to draft a QB in 2016 regardless of whether or not they believe in Osweiler. Period.

Not at all. They could sign a FA veteran to come in and back up Brock if they really think he's their future franchise QB.

Why waste a high draft pick on a QB unless you project him to be your starter? The reason they drafted Osweiler was because Peyton was coming off serious neck surgery and nobody could be sure he'd last more than 1 season.

If they move up in the draft to try and get a potential franchise QB in 2016, that will indicate that they are moving on from Brock, whether he starts in 2016 or not.

If not, then that indicates they believe he's their future.

Now personally, I'd lay better than even odds they draft a QB in 2016, because they do NOT believe Osweiler is the answer, or at best they think it's questionable.

But, certainly they don't think they have Aaron Rogers waiting in the wings here or they would have let Peyton go, just like the Packers did with Brett Favre. "Just go have fun sexting in NY Brett! We've filled your place on the roster!"

WJK
05-02-2015, 01:27 PM
I do truly think if they didn't believe in him then they would have made a move to bring in someone else at this point.

Northman
05-02-2015, 01:29 PM
I do truly think if they didn't believe in him then they would have made a move to bring in someone else at this point.

Yea, if they didnt believe in Brock they would of already drafted another QB in a higher round. Cugel just talking out his ass like he always does.

underrated29
05-02-2015, 02:49 PM
Cugel,

Seriously, one last desperate manning ride? Horrible take. Just horrible.

Who do you think is a better qb- manning or Brock?

Why would we start a lesser player? Maybe we should also start lorentay mccree now and bench Von miller. You know, get his future started. We should bench DT last year and start Cody lat. cuz you know start the future

Simple Jaded
05-02-2015, 02:56 PM
I hope the Broncos extend Osweiler and I hope they hedge their bet on a Carson Wentz in next years draft.

I wouldn't mind if Denver lands Sam Bradford.

Manning might play again in 2016.

I'd like to see them take Chris Bonner this year (for some reason I think he ends up in Cincinnati).

I KNOW they'll draft a QB next season regardless.

RebelRocker
05-02-2015, 03:31 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/13012/broncos-pass-on-quarterbacks-still-committed-to-brock-osweiler-for-future

Let me get this straight, because we decided to fill other pressing needs and didn't draft a QB early in what has been considered a weak QB draft class means that Brock's our future without competition? I'm not saying the guy's a bum or that he won't be the future. I want to see more of him, but I think it's silly that some fans are in such a rush to anoint him the future without seeing substantial playing time from him. Competition is always good. Whether it happens with a late round pick this year or next, another guy will be brought in to compete. That's how great teams win. They bring in players to compete and they have great depth.

DenBronx
05-02-2015, 03:47 PM
What other QBs in this years draft besides Mariota are better than OZ anyway? I think Winston will be a bust.

Simple Jaded
05-02-2015, 03:58 PM
Let me get this straight, because we decided to fill other pressing needs and didn't draft a QB early in what has been considered a weak QB draft class means that Brock's our future without competition? .

The article says the Broncos remain committed to Osweiler, it doesn't say there won't be competition.

RebelRocker
05-02-2015, 04:05 PM
The article says the Broncos remain committed to Osweiler, it doesn't say there won't be competition.

Well we all know they're committed to giving Osweiler a shot. I just don't understand how this is news worthy..

Simple Jaded
05-02-2015, 04:18 PM
Newsworthy? It's the Denver Broncos QB position, some of the longest threads in MB history have been about Bradlee Van Punk.

Northman
05-02-2015, 05:28 PM
Let me get this straight, because we decided to fill other pressing needs and didn't draft a QB early in what has been considered a weak QB draft class means that Brock's our future without competition? I'm not saying the guy's a bum or that he won't be the future. I want to see more of him, but I think it's silly that some fans are in such a rush to anoint him the future without seeing substantial playing time from him. Competition is always good. Whether it happens with a late round pick this year or next, another guy will be brought in to compete. That's how great teams win. They bring in players to compete and they have great depth.

Sorry RR, you clearly dont understand what has been said. At least by me. Brock will get competition but this theory that is floating around that Elway isnt confident in Brock going forward is silly. That is what Elway is clearing up in that article.

Cugel
05-02-2015, 07:24 PM

To what end? They actually DID "just bring someone in" since they drafted Trevor Siemian, QB out of Northwestern with one of the 7th round compensatory picks. Obviously, Siemian is not competition for Osweiler, but for Zach Dysert.

Pick Analysis: John Elway and the Broncos were diligent in finding a competitor for the backup quarterback position. Siemian will battle Zach Dysert in camp for that 3rd spot. --Mark Dulgerian on NFL.com

But, you act as though they can simply snap their fingers and "bring somebody in" to replace Osweiler. Well, who?

I pointed out in this thread that there have been fewer than 15 real franchise QBs capable of winning the SB drafted in the NFL in the last 15 years. There was probably not one single SB caliber QB in this entire draft. If there was a quality QB in this draft it was probably either Winston or Mariota, and they went 1-2 and neither Tampa nor Tennessee was willing to even consider trading their picks, so no team that had more than 2 wins last season had a chance at either.

No other QB was drafted until the middle of the third round. And that is how it is most years - 1 or maybe 2 real quality prospects and the rest suck.

After Elway retired, the Broncos went 13 seasons in a row without finding a QB capable of taking the team to the SB, and that was not exceptionally bad luck either. It was about par for the NFL. How long has Buffalo say, been trying to find a replacement for Jim Kelly?

Here's Jim Kelly talking about the Need For More Great QBs in the NFL (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap3000000489618/Jim-Kelly-The-NFL-needs-more-great-quarterbacks).

"You wonder why there are just not that many great QBs out there. As a fan as I am now, I want to see that high-powered offense." Jim Kelly

Jim Kelly nails it right on the head. The NFL has changed the rules to favor passing and give the QB a much better chance of being effective through the passing game, and lasting longer in the NFL. (Kelly notes that he could have lasted longer in the NFL if they'd had the rules protecting the QB back then).

But, while having a great QB is more important than it's ever been, there are damn few quality QBs available. Something is just wrong with college football where they are not producing nearly enough NFL great QB prospects. And it seems like it's getting fewer, rather than more. Outside Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson there just hasn't been any elite QBs to enter the league since maybe Joe Flacco.

For the Broncos drafting some guy "to compete" when there just isn't anybody worthy of spending a pick on is a waste of a pick. They may be stuck with Brock for a year or two just because there's nobody better available.

7DnBrnc53
05-02-2015, 08:18 PM
To what end? They actually DID "just bring someone in" since they drafted Trevor Siemian, QB out of Northwestern with one of the 7th round compensatory picks. Obviously, Siemian is not competition for Osweiler, but for Zach Dysert.

But, you act as though they can simply snap their fingers and "bring somebody in" to replace Osweiler. Well, who?

I pointed out in this thread that there have been fewer than 15 real franchise QBs capable of winning the SB drafted in the NFL in the last 15 years. There was probably not one single SB caliber QB in this entire draft. If there was a quality QB in this draft it was probably either Winston or Mariota, and they went 1-2 and neither Tampa nor Tennessee was willing to even consider trading their picks, so no team that had more than 2 wins last season had a chance at either.

No other QB was drafted until the middle of the third round. And that is how it is most years - 1 or maybe 2 real quality prospects and the rest suck.

After Elway retired, the Broncos went 13 seasons in a row without finding a QB capable of taking the team to the SB, and that was not exceptionally bad luck either. It was about par for the NFL. How long has Buffalo say, been trying to find a replacement for Jim Kelly?

Here's Jim Kelly talking about the Need For More Great QBs in the NFL (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap3000000489618/Jim-Kelly-The-NFL-needs-more-great-quarterbacks).

Jim Kelly nails it right on the head. The NFL has changed the rules to favor passing and give the QB a much better chance of being effective through the passing game, and lasting longer in the NFL. (Kelly notes that he could have lasted longer in the NFL if they'd had the rules protecting the QB back then).

But, while having a great QB is more important than it's ever been, there are damn few quality QBs available. Something is just wrong with college football where they are not producing nearly enough NFL great QB prospects. And it seems like it's getting fewer, rather than more. Outside Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson there just hasn't been any elite QBs to enter the league since maybe Joe Flacco.

For the Broncos drafting some guy "to compete" when there just isn't anybody worthy of spending a pick on is a waste of a pick. They may be stuck with Brock for a year or two just because there's nobody better available.

I know that this guy gets talked about way too much, but a prime example of this is Tim Tebow.

I have said before that he should have started working with a guy like Tom House in 2008, and stopped playing college football. Playing at Florida didn't do a whole lot to get him ready for the NFL. I don't know if a lot of college offenses do. Look at the record that Jeff Tedford had with QB's going into the league before Aaron Rodgers.

Simple Jaded
05-02-2015, 09:58 PM
Tedford would have been a hell of a lot better for Tebow than Urb, pretty much anybody would've. Tebow's biggest mistake was going to Fla.

RebelRocker
05-02-2015, 10:05 PM
Sorry RR, you clearly dont understand what has been said. At least by me. Brock will get competition but this theory that is floating around that Elway isnt confident in Brock going forward is silly. That is what Elway is clearing up in that article.

I hear ya. My posts were more of a general rant more than intended towards anyone. I'm tired of being labeled a "hater" of a player if I'm being a realist and understanding of what this team will do moving forward.

Simple Jaded
05-02-2015, 10:11 PM
I hear ya. My posts were more of a general rant more than intended towards anyone. I'm tired of being labeled a "hater" of a player if I'm being a realist and understanding of what this team will do moving forward.

Who do you hate on? Ty Sambrailo? Me too.

Cugel
05-03-2015, 11:29 AM
Tedford would have been a hell of a lot better for Tebow than Urb, pretty much anybody would've. Tebow's biggest mistake was going to Fla.

Tebow's big mistake is that he sucks. Period. We're going to see the myth exploded in Philly that Tebow "just needed time to develop." Well, he's spent the better part of the last 2 years working on his throwing mechanics, and he still sucks. Philly will use him for a time, and then cut him loose.

And that will end the Tebow story once and for all. Well, except for all the Jesus freaks who just won't drop their Tebow conspiracy theories. (I am not insinuating you are one of them BTW).

tripp
05-03-2015, 11:33 AM

I'm sort of hoping once Manning retires and if Brocks does indeed start, we have a veteran type QB (someone like Matt Hasselbeck for Andy Luck) to mentor Brock, and also a viable option to keep us competitive incase Brock is injured or flat out stinks.

7DnBrnc53
05-03-2015, 04:02 PM

I would have liked to have seen Bill Walsh get a chance to work with Tebow. Too bad he died around that time. Fouts credits Walsh with rebuilding his game from the ground up.

JPPT1974
05-03-2015, 05:48 PM
Well Aaron Rodgers had to wait awhile and look at where he is at due to Favre's grooming!

NightTerror218
05-03-2015, 05:48 PM
Kubiak said we will see plenty of Brock this season because he will spell Manning to preserve his arm into playoffs. So we an idea of what they see in him.

Manning needs to retire after this year. His salary needs to be used on other players like Miller, Wolfe, ect. Ware will be gone. Several other vets are on short term contracts.

Simple Jaded
05-03-2015, 09:15 PM
Tebow's big mistake is that he sucks. Period. We're going to see the myth exploded in Philly that Tebow "just needed time to develop." Well, he's spent the better part of the last 2 years working on his throwing mechanics, and he still sucks. Philly will use him for a time, and then cut him loose.

And that will end the Tebow story once and for all. Well, except for all the Jesus freaks who just won't drop their Tebow conspiracy theories. (I am not insinuating you are one of them BTW).

No offense taken, you're preaching to the choir here, Tebow was the single worst starting QB the NFL has seen in decades.