PDA

View Full Version : Ty Sambrailo- Denver Broncos 2015 2nd Round Draft Pick

Ziggy
05-01-2015, 11:45 PM
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2014/0916/20140916__Ty%20Sambrailo~p1.jpg

T Ty Sambrailo- 6'6 311- Ty has good length and quick feet. He posted the 2nd best 3 cone time and the 5th best 20 shuttle times at the combine. He's known for his quick feet and ability to mirror pass rushers in space. Ty started the last 2 seasons at left tackle, but reportedly can play guard and center as well. He's a good fit for the ZBS, which should maximize his athletic ability. Sambrillo plays to the whistle and despite his slender build, does play with some nastiness to his game. He has room to add onto his 6'6 frame. He should be able to slide right in at right tackle for the Broncos, and may be an option for left tackle once Ryan Clady moves on or retires.

watch?v=QGeh2brdxW0

Overview

In 2014, selected first-team All-Mountain West while starting 11 games at left tackle. Missed two games with a knee injury. Started all 14 games at left tackle in 2013 and had one carry on a trick play, gaining 11 yards. Moved all over the offensive line in 2012, playing four of five positions. As a redshirt freshman, played in 11 games, starting 7 times. Selected as participant in the Senior Bowl. Lettered three seasons and was a three-year team captain at St. Francis Central Coast Catholic (Calif.), where he played on the offensive and defensive line as well as at tight end and kicker. Played soccer as a junior. Won multiple USSA titles as a freestyle skier. His father, Mark, competed in the pole vault for University of Colorado.

Pro Day Results
20-yard short shuttle: 4.62 seconds
Three-cone drill: 7.37 seconds

Analysis

Strengths Functional athleticism to play on the left side. Releases into space and can hit moving targets in the screen game. Technically sound pass sets. Keeps weight on inside foot and hands in ready position. Very good at sliding feet and mirroring pass rushers. Keeps his hands inside. Jabs pass-pro punch and then hides hands from defender when not engaged. Frame still has room for more weight. Good recognition of twists. Finishes his blocks. Plays to whistle and flashes nasty. Able to make back-side cuts.

Weaknesses Needs work as a run blocker. Inconsistent hand usage in run game. Gets to second level but doesn't always have a game plan once he gets there. Needs to unleash power in hands. Lets athletic rushers get into him without getting arm extension. Will lean at contact in pass pro, creating potential balance problems. Gets jostled and knocked off balance. Core strength issues must be monitored. Short arms for a player his height. Lacks necessary sand to hold his ground when asked to block laterally.

Draft Projection Round 3 or 4

NFL Comparison Tyson Clabo

Bottom Line Evaluators are all over the map on Sambrailo, but I feel like he is an interesting litmus-test player this season. While the feet and movement are pluses, his functional strength could be a hindrance to NFL success. Sambrailo must develop more anchor and power to go with his athleticism or he will get taken advantage of by bull-rushers and edge-setters.

Related Links - Brandt: Sambrailo could be high second-round pick

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ty-sambrailo?id=2552366

"He's kind of a finesse guy in the passing game. I like his upside, he just needs to keep getting stronger. His athletic ability is outstanding." -- Mike Mayock

STRENGTHS: Very good initial quickness off the snap with lower body flexibility. Athletic to ride defenders on the edges, mirroring and controlling his lateral movements well. Mobile to get downfield and make plays on the perimeter to take out defenders. Consistent technique with a balanced set-and-punch. High football IQ and recognition skills, using angles well. Admirable finishing toughness and throws his body around, playing each snap as if it's his last. Looks to eliminate his man and fight through the echo of the whistle. Active eyes and keeps his head on a swivel, always looking for someone to block. Assertive and competitive leader, playing through pain. Carries himself like a professional and preaches effort and work ethic to his teammates. Charismatic personality and senior captain. Four-year starter, mostly at left tackle, but also earned snaps at right tackle and both guard spots.

WEAKNESSES: Lacks an ideal body type with a pudgy midsection and lean shoulders. Light lower body with struggles to anchor vs. bull rushers -- too easily knocked off balance. Below average functional strength and lacks the upper body power to control or stonewall rushers. Inconsistent leverage off the snap, allowing his pads to rise and leaving his chest open - too easy for rushers to attack his breast plate. Shoots his hands, but lacks ideal length and needs to improve his pop and timing. Aggressive nature tends to backfire at times, lunging and missing his block. Some durability concerns after missing two games as a senior due to a sprained left knee. Also had shoulder surgery (Jan. 2014) after a torn labrum injury early during the 2013 season. Character needs investigated after a March 2012 off-campus knife fight that required 14 stitches to the back of his shoulder and was indefinitely suspended three weeks later for allegedly beating up four freshman students at a party.

--Dane Brugler
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1752564/ty-sambrailo

Cugel
05-02-2015, 05:14 AM
Intelligent = can learn assignments quickly, which is a key for any Peyton Manning offense. Otherwise he'd be useless even with the best skill set in the world.

Good technique in pass-set = is not raw. Good lateral movement and utilizes hands well. Quick feet is something that can't really be taught. Just ask Orlando Franklin.

Negatives - Not a mauler in the run-blocking component. Needs to work on strength and conditioning. That probably applies to a majority of OL entering the draft.

Those weaknesses are probably why teams had a 3-4th round grade on him. Not ideal body size, not ideal physicality, not fully developed as a run blocker, can be bull-rushed at times and not ideal extension. If he had all those attributes he'd probably be a 1st round pick.

In short, this is a typical ZBS system pick. They are looking for a guy who has certain attributes that might not be ideal in a power-blocking scheme, but would stand out in their ZBS. Intelligence and lateral movement, quick feet probably are keys for them.

Elway probably sees him as developing into a significant impact player in year 2, and getting significant playing time in his rookie season. He does not look to be polished enough to be depended as the anchor on a SB team in his rookie season though, which tells me they still view Michael Schofield as their week 1 starter at RT.

This doesn't mention his versatility at guard, which might not come into play, since he sounds like he's the best RT prospect on the team and a certain full time starter in 2016.

CoachChaz
05-02-2015, 07:36 AM
Which begs the question. With a 39 year old QB and questions on th OL, are we in a position to draft guys projected to make an impact in 2016?

Jsteve01
05-02-2015, 10:56 AM
Which begs the question. With a 39 year old QB and questions on th OL, are we in a position to draft guys projected to make an impact in 2016? im with you on this. I really wanted the tackle out of pitt

CoachChaz
05-02-2015, 11:03 AM
Which begs the question. With a 39 year old QB and questions on th OL, are we in a position to draft guys projected to make an impact in 2016? im with you on this. I really wanted the tackle out of pitt

Too many concerns with his foot injury.

Cugel
05-02-2015, 12:36 PM
Which begs the question. With a 39 year old QB and questions on th OL, are we in a position to draft guys projected to make an impact in 2016?

Elway's position (which is clearly realistic) is that it's hard to draft a rookie and expect him to become an instant impact player on your team. Elway says publicly that they evaluate the draft by asking whether a player can be expected to become a starter in year 2. If the answer is "yes" then they consider drafting him.

Now, certainly some first round picks and even a few later round guys may become starters for their teams as rookies. But, few of them play for Super Bowl contenders. If you have such holes on your starting roster that you need rookies to come in and fill them, then you probably aren't strong enough to get to the SB anyway.

Fans might not agree with Elway's assertion that Schofield, Paradis and Sylvester Williams can be good starters on this team, but that's clearly what they think and they're going to give it a try.

We'll have to see if it works, but after I raged for a bit and was depressed for a bit following the failure of the Broncos to go out in FA and acquire a stud veteran RT, acquire a center and/or keep or replace Orlando Franklin with an equal veteran, I've come to accept it.

I remain skeptical that the OL is going to be rock solid this season. And it will absolutely need to be rock solid because they've got a 39 year old statute at QB. He may practice the option in April, but they're not going to have Peyton running around back there come September.

But, right or wrong, they really believe they will be alright with the guys they've got plus their rookie draft picks. We'll have to keep a close eye on things and see. For now, cautious optimism is called for. They at least addressed that gaping hole at RT. Now we'll see if their pick can make a difference year 1.

Simple Jaded
05-02-2015, 11:20 PM
The ZBS is such a cliche, you don't need to be uniquely qualified to play in a ZBS, Clemmings is every bit as capable as Sambrailo. Clemmings far more talented, as are most high round OL.

Ozzie Newsome is as good as it gets as a GM and he didn't run out and get OL that fit the system, his maulers did just fine. I find it revealing that Newsome never changed what he wanted on the OL.

You can get by with but don't need Ben Hamilton, that's a myth, but if for some reason you do need Hamilton in your system then your system sucks.

G_Money
05-03-2015, 12:21 AM
The ZBS is such a cliche, you don't need to be uniquely qualified to play in a ZBS, Clemmings is every bit as capable as Sambrailo. Clemmings far more talented, as are most high round OL.

Ozzie Newsome is as good as it gets as a GM and he didn't run out and get OL that fit the system, his maulers did just fine. I find it revealing that Newsome never changed what he wanted on the OL.

You can get by with but don't need Ben Hamilton, that's a myth, but if for some reason you do need Hamilton in your system then your system sucks.

A heavy ZBS system is nice in that if you HAVE Ben Hamilton or Zane Beadles you can get more out of them than you can with some other schemes. It doesn't require them. It just lets you prioritize other things for a year if you have to.

I would not have minded picking up these guys for the 2016 season if we had at least a decent stopgap for THIS season, since this season kinda matters. I don't care if Oz has 4 seconds back there in 2016 since I think he's kinda crap, so while we have Manning I want to see him be upright and staying tidy. I'm kinda terrified of Manning becoming a splat on the turf with what we're likely to be running out there. We'd better have some magic in mind.