PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Draft Round 2 and 3- Who do you want to see in orange and blue?

Ziggy
05-01-2015, 01:13 AM
T Jake Fisher
T TJ Clemmings
G Ali Marpet
ILB Bernardrick McKinney
ILB Denzel Perryman
ILB Eric Kendricks
TE Maxx Williams
DT Jordan Phillips
DT Eddie Goldman
S Landon Collins
T La'el Collins
CB/S Josh Shaw
C Hroniss Grassu
CB/S Eric Rowe
DE Za'Darius Smith

Give me any one of these and I'll be happy. Give me two of them and I'll be doing cartwheels.

MOtorboat
05-01-2015, 01:24 AM
You got me on the pass rusher earlier. Never saw that coming.

One of:
T Jake Fisher
T TJ Clemmings
G Ali Marpet
T La'el Collins

Would be great.

Buff
05-01-2015, 01:38 AM
Why would you consider drafting a guy who wanted to remove himself from the draft because he is associated with a murder case? Knowing no other facts besides that one, he is off my draft board 1000% of the time.

Ziggy
05-01-2015, 02:01 AM
Why would you consider drafting a guy who wanted to remove himself from the draft because he is associated with a murder case? Knowing no other facts besides that one, he is off my draft board 1000% of the time.

Because he's a top 20 talent. At guard, I'd rank him right behind Scherff. He's high as a right tackle as well. Removing himself from the draft would have been a brilliant move as long as he's innocent. He knew that he would drop out of the first until the facts come out. Entering the supplemental draft after he clears his name puts him back to first round status. This may be a case of simply bad timing and not his fault at all.

OrangeHoof
05-01-2015, 02:02 AM

The Baton Rouge Police insist he is not a suspect but the victim happens to be an ex-girlfriend, a pregnant ex-girlfriend. I could understand they would want to question him because she may have mentioned men she knew or perhaps was seeing after they broke up or perhaps she hung out with other LSU athletes.

He was considered a Top 15 talent before the draft. If he fell to the third (and the Broncos are a low 3rd), I could see taking a flyer on him after doing some research. It would be no worse than Maurice Clarett whom was taken in the third.

Of course, we're trying to win a Super Bowl here and the Broncos probably can't be taking too many chances in this year's draft. They've already gambled on one guy.

MOtorboat
05-01-2015, 02:08 AM
The Baton Rouge Police insist he is not a suspect but the victim happens to be an ex-girlfriend, a pregnant ex-girlfriend. I could understand they would want to question him because she may have mentioned men she knew or perhaps was seeing after they broke up or perhaps she hung out with other LSU athletes.

He was considered a Top 15 talent before the draft. If he fell to the third (and the Broncos are a low 3rd), I could see taking a flyer on him after doing some research. It would be no worse than Maurice Clarett whom was taken in the third.

Of course, we're trying to win a Super Bowl here and the Broncos probably can't be taking too many chances in this year's draft. They've already gambled on one guy.

They've taken a lot of offseason gambles, I think it would be kind of ludicrous for Elway to draw a line in the sand in the second round of the draft and go conservative.

Ziggy
05-01-2015, 02:14 AM
They've taken a lot of offseason gambles, I think it would be kind of ludicrous for Elway to draw a line in the sand in the second round of the draft and go conservative.

I agree Mo. Wouldn't it be something if Elway came away with two top 10-20 talents in the first two rounds without selling the farm? That's near impossible when your original spot is 28 in both rounds.

Buff
05-01-2015, 02:16 AM
If he is innocent, then the move is to categorically deny all involvement publicly, cooperate fully and scream from the mountain tops that you're the victim of bad timing.

At best, he is a complete moron who cost himself millions of dollars through horrendous PR, at worst he will be in prison for the rest of his life. Either way, he's not on my MF'ing board ever.

Valar Morghulis
05-01-2015, 05:27 AM
McKinney. Collins OL or Collins S.

If we can also land Jesse James and Fowler (FB) I would cream my pants

Then add mettenburger or another young qb that won't start somewhere else for training camp and some more veterans in the OL

BroncoWave
05-01-2015, 06:34 AM
Draft McKinney! I'm really in favor of just totally loading up the defense and trying to win that way this year. Even with the holes on the o-line, the offense should still at least be serviceable this year. That mixed with an elite defense presents us with our most likely shot at making a SB run this year IMO. I would way prefer that method than relying on our 40 year old QB to stay healthy and productive through 19 games.

CoachChaz
05-01-2015, 07:14 AM
If he is innocent, then the move is to categorically deny all involvement publicly, cooperate fully and scream from the mountain tops that you're the victim of bad timing.

At best, he is a complete moron who cost himself millions of dollars through horrendous PR, at worst he will be in prison for the rest of his life. Either way, he's not on my MF'ing board ever.

Finding it hard to see a problem with that first scenario. Why not try to protect your value?

Valar Morghulis
05-01-2015, 07:40 AM
Finding it hard to see a problem with that first scenario. Why not try to protect your value?

Maybe he just wants to be a bronco

chazoe60
05-01-2015, 07:50 AM
I hope we draft a punter or a LS in round 2.

broncobuss
05-01-2015, 08:17 AM
Kendricks
Perryman
La'el Collins
David Johnson rb northern Iowa..

Collins in the 3rd.. 4th rd is worth the gamble..
David Johnson is the guy I like the most

VonDoom
05-01-2015, 08:22 AM
The real question will be about the ILB's - will any fall to us? If so, I'm down with going for one of them. I don't know that I'd trade up at this point.

Otherwise, OL still needs to be addressed. Fisher and probably Clemmings will be gone within a few picks tonight. Collins is the most intriguing, given the nature of what's going on. Not sure how I'd feel about that at this point. I believe at some point we were linked to both Ty Sambrailo and Daryl Williams, so I could see them being possibilities at OT.

To be honest, I think the best fit at our selection might be Hroniss Grasu. We have very little at OC right now, and he's a great scheme fit and probably just about right at that value level.

G_Money
05-01-2015, 08:42 AM
Your list is basically my list, Ziggy (I'd probably add Ekpre-Olomu and a couple others, but that's quibbling). Find me two dudes off that list and let's go party.

CoachChaz
05-01-2015, 09:48 AM
I think I've settled on Marpet or Dawson in round 2.

Northman
05-01-2015, 09:55 AM
T Jake Fisher
ILB Bernardrick McKinney
ILB Denzel Perryman
ILB Eric Kendricks
T La'el Collins
OLB Eli Harld
WR Justin Hardy
DT Michael Bennett

Any of these guys would make me happy.

Valar Morghulis
05-01-2015, 09:58 AM
who is dawson?

Northman
05-01-2015, 10:02 AM
who is dawson?

http://iwilldare.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/dawsoncrying.jpg

Valar Morghulis
05-01-2015, 10:07 AM
nice1 good job north!

VonDoom
05-01-2015, 10:28 AM
who is dawson?

ILB from TCU.

CoachChaz
05-01-2015, 11:12 AM
who is dawson?

ILB from TCU.

I think he's better suited for a 2 gap scheme 3-4 defense than McKinney or Perryman. Definitely more of a 3 down ILB

Valar Morghulis
05-01-2015, 12:29 PM
I think he's better suited for a 2 gap scheme 3-4 defense than McKinney or Perryman. Definitely more of a 3 down ILB

Sounds good. I totally missed him, all last season and in the build up to the draft.

#mustdedicateevenmoreofmyfreetimetostudyingfoootba ll

G_Money
05-01-2015, 01:08 PM

I like Perryman better (better tackler, better hitter, instincts just as good), but Perryman might go earlier, too. And like you said, Dawson might be able to stay on the field for 3 downs. Perryman seems to have his head screwed on tighter, but Dawson has instincts and skills and could be a good player. I just don't worry about Perryman. I guess he might only be Joe Mays... but I think his instincts are way better. And if there was gonna be a guy who could meet Marshawn Lynch in the hole and make Lynch give ground, it would be Perryman.

As long as we address our OL and MLB issues with quality players instead of band-aids, though, I'll be fine.

CoachChaz
05-01-2015, 01:23 PM
I like Perryman better (better tackler, better hitter, instincts just as good), but Perryman might go earlier, too. And like you said, Dawson might be able to stay on the field for 3 downs. Perryman seems to have his head screwed on tighter, but Dawson has instincts and skills and could be a good player. I just don't worry about Perryman. I guess he might only be Joe Mays... but I think his instincts are way better. And if there was gonna be a guy who could meet Marshawn Lynch in the hole and make Lynch give ground, it would be Perryman.

As long as we address our OL and MLB issues with quality players instead of band-aids, though, I'll be fine.

Not only is he a 3 down player, but during Dawson's career in the pass happy Big 12...he has only allowed a completion rate of 35%. I like numbers like that.

Yeah, he has "character concerns", but I think that label is just used too frequently anymore. Like someone said somewhere earlier...if it was a Lawrence Phillips thing...or even a Gregory thing...I'd worry more.

G_Money
05-01-2015, 01:30 PM
Yeah, I think Dawson's character concerns are overblown - you just want to make sure he's got a team-first mentality. I do love that he wrote about his own "character concerns" before the draft, as well as his relative inexperience as a starting defender (just as Ray has limited experience there - which means there should be more growth to get):

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2015/02/11/paul-dawson-draft-diary-tcu-texas-christian/23253621/

...I didn't really play defense until like the fourth or fifth game of my junior year. Coach P finally trusted me, put me in there, and I led the team with 91 tackles. My senior year, coming in, everybody knew Paul Dawson was going to explode, and I did. Became an All-American and Big 12 defensive player of the year.

The thing about it — my position coach had a survey for all the linebackers before my senior year. He asked us, what type of linebacker are we? Of course, I circled All-American. He had a little meeting with me and was like, 'So you think you're an All-American, huh?' I was like, 'You're damn right.' I'm just going to be myself all the time. He was like, 'You're more of a role player. You might be an all-Big 12 player. But I don't see the All-American in you.' I was like, 'OK, I've just got to prove him wrong.' I'd usually be the last one to leave the facility. I'd be there until midnight. The coaches would leave at like 10. I'd just be in a little room, and they didn't even know I was there. They're talking now like I never watched film. How could I not watch film and be that productive? That doesn't make sense. I stayed, probably watched two hours a night, so that's about 10 hours extra a week. I put in that work, did what I needed to do, and it all paid off.

...Now I'm reading that I've got 'character concerns.' My sophomore year when I got there, I failed one drug test for Adderall, and I got a prescription for it a couple months later. I never failed another drug test, never got in any trouble, never suspended. I was tardy a lot. I'd probably be a couple minutes late to that meeting or a weight-room session. But everybody loved me. I got along with everybody — all the coaches, all the offensive coaches. We made jokes throughout the facility all day. On Saturdays, they knew that I was going to go big, do my thing.

When I see stuff like my team doesn't like me, that's hurtful. I guarantee if you call Coach P right now, the only thing he'd say is I'm a knucklehead...

underrated29
05-01-2015, 01:32 PM
If somehow we can get perryman or dawson ( I like perryman better personally) and also end up with Shaq mason, kurtis Drummond, jarmon brown, sean hickey and Harold spears I don't give a F how the rest of the drazft shakes out.....(Most of the late guys I listed can be had with our comp picks that cannot be traded)

I would love to see fisher here, but I like Perryman or Dawson better. Word is Dawson is our guy. If we can get either at MLB our defense will be elite! I have NO doubts about it. That said there are a ton of guys available that I wouldn't mind. We also have to worry about what dream has said about us and Brett Hundley. Apparantly we love the shit out of this guy. I wouldn't mind him in the 3rd/4th (which he wont last til then) but a 2nd would piss me right the eff off!!

NightTerror218
05-01-2015, 01:38 PM
I would like to see OL or ILB. Since Danny and Marshall are both FA after this year I believe but depth is needed too, is Danny now injury prone?

CoachChaz
05-01-2015, 01:41 PM
I like Brett Hundley the person, but not thrilled about the player. With the assumption that the better remaining OL will be gone by our pick, Dawson is my guy. I dont want to see Ward playing the nickel backer anymore and drafting Perryman or McKinney would ensure that happens.

VonDoom
05-01-2015, 01:44 PM
I would like to see OL or ILB. Since Danny and Marshall are both FA after this year I believe but depth is needed too, is Danny now injury prone?

Marshall should be a RFA next year, so that will buy us some time on him. I agree on the injury front, though. We plan on working those two guys extensively, and it's hard to survive the grind of play after play without some wear and tear.

CoachChaz
05-01-2015, 01:48 PM
Plus...as I mentioned a lot last year...Lisfranc is something you never fully recover from. We cant say for sure that there is a connection, but Clady might have had his worst year ever after recovering from his Lisfranc.

Lancane
05-01-2015, 03:46 PM
I'm sticking with the mock I posted yesterday, T.J. Clemmings in the 2nd and Jesse James in the 3rd.

Looking at the way the first round fell and you look at the top defensive players available that Denver has a shot at another solid prospect; Randy Gregory, Landon Collins, Eddie Goldman, Jalen Collins, Eli Harold, Jordan Phillips, Carl Davis, Michael Bennett and so on, you'd have to say this will fall close to 50-50 in the second round so Denver has a great shot at landing a key player on offense.

WARHORSE
05-01-2015, 04:42 PM
Tevin Coleman will be the best back in this draft imo.

We dont need to draft an ILB in these two rounds...Im thinking we will take Maxx, an Olineman or another DP or WR.

Northman
05-01-2015, 04:48 PM
We didnt need another pass rusher but took one anyway. I think Elway is bucking the idea of predictability right now.

WARHORSE
05-01-2015, 05:45 PM
We didnt need another pass rusher but took one anyway. I think Elway is bucking the idea of predictability right now.

I cant say otherwise but I think sitting at 28 and believing you have no shot at a top ten player on your board only to have one come within your reach at a palatable price is enough to move any GM. Besides, we did need another LBer since we are moving to a 34 D, so this was a perfect pick. If youre going to have four LBers on the field, it would be to your great advantage if all four were stud pass rushers..........Ray fits that bill to a T.

Im going to go out on a limb and predict we either take Maxx or Funchess with this second rounder to play TE. Third rounder will go towards Oline.

We'll see.

dogfish
05-01-2015, 08:31 PM

dude, we BADLY needed another pass rusher, i've been saying that. . . ware's deal is up after this year. . . it's so much better for our cap to develop a dynamic young guy NOW, than re-sign a 35-year-old ware for another couple years. . . besides, if we're going to make one more run w/ manning, we needed an insurance policy against ware or von missing time. . .

and tackle was certainly a need, even if sambrailo doesn't sound like a guy that's likely to play this year. . . where have we heard that before, right? IMO, still need an ILB, and probably at least one more OL. . . and potentially depth/developmental guys at TE, safety, slot receiver (with an emphasis on return skills), or nosetackle. . . something like that. . . makes sense to me, anyway. . .

which probably means we'll take a punter and three cornerbacks. . .