PDA

View Full Version : Shane ray...denver bronco!

WARHORSE
04-30-2015, 09:49 PM
Love it. Worth the risk. He is a BEAST. Him Von, Marshall and Ware......WOW

Dzone
04-30-2015, 09:52 PM
Love this! Steal of the draft! High motor. Rocky Mountain High! Im psyched for the season now!!!!!

G_Money
04-30-2015, 09:53 PM
So - we planning for life after Von?

ShaneFalco
04-30-2015, 09:54 PM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2015/04/30/0ap3000000489447.jpg

Dzone
04-30-2015, 09:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWwp-C8RCEY

G_Money
04-30-2015, 10:01 PM
Ray has an amazing motor and talent on the field. This really is a similar situation to Von, who is also a ten cent moron in his personal life off the field but a beast on it. It's always good to grab one of the most talented players in the draft - just wish it was someone who could help keep Manning in one piece. Hopefully we find a way to address that. The price to move up for Ray was pretty reasonable.

I was looking at Perryman in the 2nd, but now I'll hope that an OL falls. Maybe we'll move back up for one. Maybe even La'el Collins - take all the falling talents. Don't think he'll fall that far... but I'd move up again to take him if he did..

BroncoWave
04-30-2015, 10:02 PM

Or, more likely, life after Ware.

BigDaddyBronco
04-30-2015, 10:04 PM
Draft a pothead in Denver! Oh noes! Falco can go get his jersey now. :D

Timmy!
04-30-2015, 10:07 PM
This defense is going to be pure nasty if they can stay healthy.

silkamilkamonico
04-30-2015, 10:09 PM
This defense is going to be pure nasty if they can stay healthy.

And if these new coaches can get them to quit playing like a bunch of pussies.

G_Money
04-30-2015, 10:11 PM
We have pass rushers. If our DTs can stop the run and keep it to long-distances on 3rd, we can let slip the dogs of war.

Very curious to see how we address the OL with the heavier emphasis on the ZBS. The third-rate backups aren't my idea of an impenetrable wall, but if Latimer can be what we think he can be maybe Manning won't need the time. Hard to argue against Ray, though. The guy can really play.

Dzone
04-30-2015, 10:12 PM
Wade Phillips is going to have a field day moving this guy around, destroying teams. Wow!!!

ShaneFalco
04-30-2015, 10:12 PM
Defense will win a championship. not a 40 year old peyton manning. Sorry to say.

tomjonesrocks
04-30-2015, 10:18 PM
TNed might not be happy.

G_Money
04-30-2015, 10:21 PM
We'll need the D and the running game. But 40 year old Manningwill win us the 'ship if we win one. Mid-20s Oz sure as hell won't, so Manning needs to be healthy in the playoffs. Keep his laundry bills low and the defense might be able to help us get it done at last.

Timmy!
04-30-2015, 10:21 PM
TNed might not be happy.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=39514&pictureid=1257040

VonDoom
04-30-2015, 10:26 PM
Cecil Lammey ‏@CecilLammey 2m2 minutes ago

#Broncos Shane Ray says "After Monday, it was a tough situation, and I felt that I hurt myself. By coming here (CHI), I face it like a man"

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 2m2 minutes ago Dove Valley, CO

Shane Ray on video conference. "I'm so grateful for the Denver Broncos giving me the opportunity to redeem myself."

Cecil Lammey ‏@CecilLammey 2m2 minutes ago

#Broncos Shane Ray "I let someone influence me, and it cost me. I understand that, and I'm ready to move past that in my life."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 2m2 minutes ago

Shane Ray: "Coming to Denver, I will not have any off-the-field issues."

Shane Ray: "Definitely I find myself as a steal. ... All teams that passed on me, I feel they made a huge mistake."

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 1m1 minute ago

Shane Ray on toe injury: "I'm very confident I'll be ready ... By the season I'll be ready to go out there.''

Cecil Lammey ‏@CecilLammey 43s43 seconds ago

#Broncos Shane Ray "With them trading up, it shows their commitment to me. I can't wait to come to Denver."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 39s39 seconds ago

Shane Ray: "I owe them more than anything. I can't wait to come to Denver. I can't wait to be a sponge & learn from 2 greats on that D."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 52s53 seconds ago

Shane Ray: "Weed is not something that controls my life, nor has it controlled my life."

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 43s44 seconds ago

Shane Ray: "I haven't failed any drug test and wasn't under the influence when I was cited.''

Cecil Lammey ‏@CecilLammey 22s22 seconds ago

#Broncos Shane Ray was asked if marijuana being legal in CO would be a temptation? "No, not at all." #NFLDraft

Dzone
04-30-2015, 10:29 PM
Nice. Another hall of famer with a chip on his shoulder. Elways favorite type of player

VonDoom
04-30-2015, 10:29 PM
Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 2m2 minutes ago

Shane Ray: "I think everybody who thinks I'm a one--trick pony should go back and watch more film.''

VonDoom
04-30-2015, 10:34 PM

Elway said "several people" in the Broncos org. talked to Shane Ray. "He was very remorseful. He realized he made a mistake."

Elway: "We had an opportunity to move up. We felt the price was right ... We felt it was something that we couldn't pass up."

Elway: Ray "realized the mistake that he made and guaranteed it wouldn't happen again ... I feel good about him."

Elway: Shane Ray "plays with his hair on fire ... he's going to be a great fit for us."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 23s23 seconds ago

Elway said Shane Ray was 10th on their draft board.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 41s41 seconds ago

Elway: the Lions "really wanted Manny (Ramirez)." Said there were conversations w/ Lions about Ramirez "the last couple of weeks."

WARHORSE
04-30-2015, 10:34 PM
Tenacious. High motor. Productive. Has range against the run. Drops the QB.

Used to smoke pot.

G_Money
04-30-2015, 10:38 PM
LOL Shane's saying all the right things. Just keep it together off the field, m'man, and bring it on the field. I wish you the best. Don't let us - and yourself - down. :salute:

VonDoom
04-30-2015, 10:38 PM
Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 1m1 minute ago

Kubiak: "It's going to be fun to get the QB from the standpoint of the 3 guys that we have to rotate with."

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 1m1 minute ago

Kubiak: "I know Wade is very excited...this kid just loves the game"

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 1m1 minute ago

Kubiak: "We can surround him with some very good people. I know it'll be very beneficial for him."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 28s29 seconds ago

Kubiak: Shane Ray "made a mistake, but he's also done a lot of great things, too."

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 1m1 minute ago

Kubiak: Team did a "little more work'' on Ray in last couple days.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 40s40 seconds ago

Kubiak: "We're able to give DeMarcus or Von a break" when the Broncos go into nickel package because of Ray's presence.

Northman
04-30-2015, 10:41 PM
LOL Shane's saying all the right things. Just keep it together off the field, m'man, and bring it on the field. I wish you the best. Don't let us - and yourself - down. :salute:

Yes, please dont let us down.

WARHORSE
04-30-2015, 10:42 PM
Unsnap the collar.......release da houuuundz!

Im stoked. Hopefully the young man gets it right.

We have an entire draft to get more Olinemen.

Northman
04-30-2015, 10:44 PM
I still want a ILB as well. Maybe we can work another trade to get 2 2nd rounders. Find a way to get both a OL and either Perryman or McKinney.

G_Money
04-30-2015, 10:49 PM
I still want a ILB as well. Maybe we can work another trade to get 2 2nd rounders. Find a way to get both a OL and either Perryman or McKinney.

That's what I want. Ray / Fisher / Perryman would be a tremendous first couple days. I'd actually still take La'el Collins, another guy whose weird legal situation as harmed him financially but might benefit us if he remains available til we can get our hands on him.

CoachChaz
04-30-2015, 10:54 PM
Fisher, Perryman and McKinney all go top 10 tomorrow. Probably Donovan Smith too.

Dapper Dan
04-30-2015, 10:55 PM
How many guys on this board have had a few drinks and got in the car to drive? Be honest. Okay, now that is a million times worse than what this guy did. Stop judging a player on one minor incident.

I'm excited about the guy now. He seems fired up. There will be no quit in him. Phillip Rivers may see an early retirement.

Tned
04-30-2015, 10:55 PM

That's first thing that crossed my mind. Hopefully they resign Von and have both for years to come.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

G_Money
04-30-2015, 10:57 PM
I dunno if Perryman does, Chaz (not every team has the ability to yank him on passing situations for badass pass rushers like we can now) - but even if he made it to our second round selection we should really be looking at OL help there. It'd be hard for me to turn him down if he was there, though. We'll see.

Northman
04-30-2015, 10:57 PM
How many guys on this board have had a few drinks and got in the car to drive? Be honest.

Im being honest, i had the wife pick up some beer and watched the draft at home. No driving after drinking required.

Tned
04-30-2015, 10:58 PM
TNed might not be happy.

I think it was a great pick. I don't have to worry about that Shane being a troll spewing MJ propaganda in nearly every BF thread.

G_Money
04-30-2015, 10:59 PM
How many guys on this board have had a few drinks and got in the car to drive? Be honest. Okay, now that is a million times worse than what this guy did. Stop judging a player on one minor incident.

I'm excited about the guy now. He seems fired up. There will be no quit in him. Phillip Rivers may see an early retirement.

I don't care what he does in his private life - I do care that he's already got one foot in the drug policy program and we could start losing games with him for a next offense. Hopefully this gets him right and since he'll be tested a bunch he'll remember to stay clean and sober for as long as he's wearing our uniform. The guy is ALWAYS fired up, though. Gotta love that...

CoachChaz
04-30-2015, 11:02 PM
I dunno if Perryman does, Chaz (not every team has the ability to yank him on passing situations for badass pass rushers like we can now) - but even if he made it to our second round selection we should really be looking at OL help there. It'd be hard for me to turn him down if he was there, though. We'll see.

Chicago.

Northman
04-30-2015, 11:03 PM
I don't care what he does in his private life - I do care that he's already got one foot in the drug policy program and we could start losing games with him for a next offense. Hopefully this gets him right and since he'll be tested a bunch he'll remember to stay clean and sober for as long as he's wearing our uniform. The guy is ALWAYS fired up, though. Gotta love that...

I think so many people really miss the point when people bring up these things. We ALL hope that this kid did have one mistake and becomes a great player for Denver. The point isnt about Shane Ray being human like everyone else, the point is he is now playing in the NFL and their policies are strict ones. So from a business standpoint when you paying a player millions of dollars and expecting them to be there on gameday that making bad personal choices in their private life can and will effect that and the good will of the team. Its really not that hard of a concept to understand.

Tned
04-30-2015, 11:03 PM

Does this actually put him in the program, if he didn't test positive and wasn't in nfl yet?

The good news is the revised policy requires three failed tests before the first suspension.

G_Money
04-30-2015, 11:05 PM
Chicago.

True that. I'm hoping they go for McKinney. ;) I like him less.

Northman
04-30-2015, 11:05 PM
Does this actually put him in the program, if he didn't test positive and wasn't in nfl yet?

The good news is the revised policy requires three failed tests before the first suspension.

I think it was reported that he is already in the program.

CoachChaz
04-30-2015, 11:09 PM
Chicago.

True that. I'm hoping they go for McKinney. ;) I like him less.

Ditto...but Minnesota could use a MLB a few picks later. I think that's where they go.

I'll hold hope for Donovan Smith or Ali Marpet tomorrow.

G_Money
04-30-2015, 11:09 PM
Yeah, they're reporting he's in the "gets 'randomly' tested more often, but is not on the discipline side yet" part of the policy. There are worse things. Like watching ManRam suit up for us and try to block at the second level, for instance. We get to skip that nightmare.

tomjonesrocks
04-30-2015, 11:10 PM
TRACKER LIVE MOCK DRAFTS PREDICT THE PICK CFB 24/7 HISTORY DRAFT TOWN PHOTOS VIDEOS SOCIAL
SEARCH BY
2015 Draft Prospects
GRADE

Shane Ray (DE)
HT: 6'3" WT: 245LBS.
POSITION: DE
SCHOOL: Missouri
ARM LENGTH: 33 1/8"
HANDS: 9"
Overview
As a junior in 2014, Ray was named SEC Defensive Player of the Year while earning consensus first-team All-America status after leading the SEC in sacks and tackles for loss. He was All-SEC first team (AP, Coaches) and a Hendricks Award Finalist (nation's top defensive end). He was a semifinalist for the Lombardi and Bednarik awards. His 14.5 sacks in 2014 are a school single-season record and ranked third nationally. His 22.5 tackles for loss also ranked third nationally. He also forced two fumbles. In 2013, appeared in all 14 games (no starts), and had nine tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks. During redshirt freshman season in 2012, had 2.5 tackles for loss in 12 games (no starts). Redshirted in 2011. Was rated No. 3 player overall in Kansas by Rivals.com. Overcame very turbulent adolescence. His father, Wendell, starred at Missouri at defensive end and was a fifth-round draft pick in the 1981 NFL Draft. Shane was cited for misdemeanor marijuana possession on April 27 just outside of Columbia, Mo., after he was stopped for speeding.

Pro Day Results

40-yard dash: 4.64 and 4.65 seconds
Vertical jump: 33 1/2 inches
Broad jump: 10 feet
20-yard short shuttle: 4.53 seconds
Three-cone drill: 7.71 seconds

SELECTED BY: Broncos
ROUND: 1
PICK (OVERALL): 23 (23)
PICK ANALYSIS:
"I thought Ray had the quickest first step among pass rushers. He had a foot problem that some thought would cause him to fall in the draft. Then Monday he got pulled over. A lot of people thought that would force him out of the first round. Remember, DeMarcus Ware is 33 years old." -- Mike Mayock
COMBINE STATS
BENCH PRESS: 21 REPS
ANALYSIS
Strengths
Explosive athlete in every sense. Has elite power for his size and explodes off the line like a coiled spring. Rushes passer with extreme passion and purpose. Has fast, violent hands with advanced understanding of how to use them. Tough and plays with bad intentions on each snap. Uses rip to get under linemen and out-leverage them. Played 4-3 defensive right end in base but rushed from three-technique in some sub-packages. Once he gets to blocker's edge, they struggle to recover and redirect. Rare ability to post inside leg and get his body turned sharply and quickly around it toward quarterback. Excellent change-of-direction talent. Has natural coordination of head fakes, footwork and hand usage in pass rush. Works hard to stand his ground against power. Has power in upper body and hips to punch and dispatch with tight ends against run. Rarely runs past the arc as a rusher and will fight to come back underneath if he gets on the high side. Was able to drop into space with no issues when asked.
Weaknesses
Lacks ideal length as an outside rusher. At times was engulfed and glued to the bigger tackles he faced. Can get too focused on hand fighting if he doesn't win with hands early in pass rush. Will occasionally stunt himself out of a play, opening up running lane. If rushing from inside, must learn to set up teammates when running "T/E" (tackle first, end under) twists. Relies on arm-over inside and slap/rip outside -- needs more variety to pass rush.
Draft Projection
Round 2
Sources Tell Us
"He's not like other guys from Missouri that we've seen. He's got serious speed to get over the top of tackles and those other ends didn't have it. You just wish he was a little longer." -- NFC outside linebackers coach
NFL Comparison
Chris Clemons
Bottom Line
It's hard to find many play weaknesses for Ray, but his lack of overall length is one area that some teams have concerns about. He pursues the quarterback and the ball like it's his last snap. An alpha male packaged in an explosive frame, Ray has the traits and skills to be a dominant pass rusher and potential Pro Bowler. He also has the athleticism and strength to play in any defensive front. A top-10 talent, but negative buzz late in process has stock in question.

ShaneFalco
04-30-2015, 11:11 PM
I think it was a great pick. I don't have to worry about that Shane being a troll spewing MJ propaganda in nearly every BF thread.

your so full of crap. I dont even really talk about it.

If i did you guys would have banned me months ago.

I dont even know why i respond to crap like this. you talk about it more then me.

Buff
04-30-2015, 11:13 PM

Umm, no and please don't let me catch you talking like that again.

G_Money
04-30-2015, 11:13 PM
Ditto...but Minnesota could use a MLB a few picks later. I think that's where they go.

I think Minnesota is looking for OL help in the second, but that just means both their next immediate needs match ours, so either way they're probably taking someone we want. Gonna be a long day tomorrow watching guys I want get drafted ahead of us. Stupid playoff seasons...

Tned
04-30-2015, 11:16 PM
Yeah, they're reporting he's in the "gets 'randomly' tested more often, but is not on the discipline side yet" part of the policy. There are worse things. Like watching ManRam suit up for us and try to block at the second level, for instance. We get to skip that nightmare.

If he's not in the discipline side, then he should be able to fail three tests with no suspension, and not get suspended until a fourth failure. Hopefully, he'll never even have one.

CoachChaz
04-30-2015, 11:16 PM

I think Minnesota is looking for OL help in the second, but that just means both their next immediate needs match ours, so either way they're probably taking someone we want. Gonna be a long day tomorrow watching guys I want get drafted ahead of us. Stupid playoff seasons...

Definite possibility. My assessment is based solely on there being much more depth on the OL than at MLB.

Tned
04-30-2015, 11:17 PM
your so full of crap. I dont even really talk about it.

If i did you guys would have banned me months ago.

I dont even know why i respond to crap like this. you talk about it more then me.

memory loss :check:
Paranoia :check:

ShaneFalco
04-30-2015, 11:19 PM
******* : check:

DenBronx
04-30-2015, 11:20 PM
Life after Von?

I can't deal with this right now. I seriously won't be able to take it if that happens next off season...

G_Money
04-30-2015, 11:21 PM
Definite possibility. My assessment is based solely on there being much more depth on the OL than at MLB.

Also true, but with a young QB keeping his upright is vital for his development. Might be some priorities there. We'll see soon enough. Somebody just leave me an OL I'll like, that's all I'm saying. Us actually drafting him would be nice too. A MLB thumper would also we be lovely.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-30-2015, 11:31 PM
I really didn't think a playmaker like this would be available. It's gonna be fun watching Wade move these 3 guys around

Ziggy
04-30-2015, 11:31 PM
https://d13csqd2kn0ewr.cloudfront.net/uploads/image/file/86418/w640xh480_456046452.jpg?ts=1418760149

OLB Shane Ray- 6'3 249- Ray made a mistake that cost him millions, literally. Getting busted with marijuana in your car the week of the draft? It doesn't get much sillier than that. Apparently Elway and company came to the conclusion that he's a decent kid that made a stupid mistake. The same sort of issue dropped Bradley Roby last year as well. Ray had no previous issues, and thus far has manned up and admitted to his lapse in judgment. Only time will tell if that incident was a one time thing, or a true portrait of his character. Elway has decided to move on from it, so let's do the same.

Ray is basically a Von Miller clone. Nearly identical size, first step, and instincts. While Von is slightly more athletic overall, Ray plays with more passion and nastiness. He was 3rd in the nation with 14 1/2 sacks and added 22.5 TFL last season. He has elite strength for his size. He bench presses over 400 pounds. He chases sideline to sideline and plays with a nasty streak. Ray has a first step that can't be taught, with a variety of pass rush moves.

Here's a great clip with some background on him:
watch?v=KWwp-C8RCEY

And some other highlights:
watch?v=-mg63-fD9BM

watch?v=zAsvEPQ17T8

ShaneFalco
04-30-2015, 11:50 PM
he broke aldon smiths season sack record at MIZ. Cant wait to watch him and Von coming off the edge.

Dapper Dan
05-01-2015, 12:03 AM
As long as he's a Bronco I'll support him.

Cugel
05-01-2015, 12:38 AM
Hard to argue with getting a top 10 talent when your draft pick is #28! John Elway shows he knows what he's doing. Nobody could figure out why Manny Ramirez was still on this team considering his $2 M+ salary cap hit. Well, now we know. Trading him is addition by subtraction. He was never going to fit in the ZBS and now he's gone and they've freed up a bunch of money to use signing D.T.

Giving up a couple of 5th round draft picks? Meaningless, since they have 10 picks in this draft alone, plus as many as 4 compensatory picks next year, (which would mean 11 picks total - so now they're down to 10).

This pick is the steal of the entire first day of the draft. In Colorado he wouldn't even get a citation for having weed in his backpack.

Apparently the Ravens Ozzie Newsome was going to grab him 2 spots later, so this was a stunning draft move. If he pans out as expected, he could easily become an All-Pro LB in this league, and when DeMarcus Ware retires or is released he steps in and the Broncos have two monster pass-rushing OLBs for the next 5 years in Miller & Ray.

Shane Ray is my newly adopted Bronco! 7117

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-01-2015, 12:56 AM
Wade Phillips is gonna be up until 3am drawing stunts on the white board in his boxers

ShaneFalco
05-01-2015, 01:00 AM
wade phillips is gonna be up until 3am drawing stunts on the white board in his boxers
lol!

MOtorboat
05-01-2015, 01:07 AM
Wade Phillips is gonna be up until 3am drawing stunts on the white board in his boxers

Crap, he's not going senile is he?

Tned
05-01-2015, 05:23 AM
Ray had no previous issues, and thus far has manned up and admitted to his lapse in judgment. Only time will tell if that incident was a one time thing, or a true portrait of his character. Elway has decided to move on from it, so let's do the same.

According to reports, Ray did have previous issues and failed a dug test at Missouri a few years ago.

RT @AlbertBreer: Also, according to info from 5 NFL teams, Shane Ray failed a drug test early on in his career at Missouri. That comes back to haunt him now.

So, while I think he's worth the risk, it doesn't look like this is a one time mistake. Instead, it's a pattern. Hopefully, this was enough of a wake-up call that he doesn't risk his future again.

Canmore
05-01-2015, 05:28 AM
According to reports, Ray did have previous issues and failed a dug test at Missouri a few years ago.

So, while I think he's worth the risk, it doesn't look like this is a one time mistake. Instead, it's a pattern. Hopefully, this was enough of a wake-up call that he doesn't risk his future again.

Von Miller seems to have learned (fingers crossed). Hopefully Shane Ray gets the message and faster than Miller.

Tned
05-01-2015, 05:38 AM
Von Miller seems to have learned (fingers crossed). Hopefully Shane Ray gets the message and faster than Miller.

That's the hope with both.

I hope Broncos are convinced von has learned, because I really want him extended.

Canmore
05-01-2015, 05:44 AM
That's the hope with both.

I hope Broncos are convinced von has learned, because I really want him extended.

Agreed. I guess we will find out soon enough (relatively). Like I said earlier you can't have to many corners or pass rushers. You especially can't have to many elite players. Now get them all on the field.

Tned
05-01-2015, 05:50 AM
Agreed. I guess we will find out soon enough (relatively). Like I said earlier you can't have to many corners or pass rushers. You especially can't have to many elite players. Now get them all on the field.

Agreed

Dapper Dan
05-01-2015, 05:51 AM
It's going to be great once the NFL changes these rules. It's not like these players are high on the field. As of right now the players are being punished for doing something the NFL says not to do. The players aren't harming others or themselves. Imagi be if they all of a sudden banned beer and traces of beer stayed in your piss test long after the affects were gone. Yeah, it's not smart to still drink beer, but that doesn't excuse the ridiculous rules. Maybe they'll be harder on people that actually do something wrong.

ShaneFalco
05-01-2015, 06:25 AM
i really dont get it.

The broncos were a soft ass team last year. People often complained about it on here.

Guys like Shane Ray, his background, his struggle, his mindset, make it a bit tougher. Make up your minds of what you want your team to be.

tomjonesrocks
05-01-2015, 06:26 AM
Noticed NFL.com gave Denver a C+ (second worst in the draft), Pats an A+ ...

elsid13
05-01-2015, 06:40 AM

Hedging our bets and buying some additional leverage if we need it.

BroncoWave
05-01-2015, 06:51 AM
Noticed NFL.com gave Denver a C+ (second worst in the draft), Pats an A+ ...

Lol, pretty much nothing more meaningless than handing out grades right after the draft.

MasterShake
05-01-2015, 07:45 AM
It's going to be great once the NFL changes these rules. It's not like these players are high on the field. As of right now the players are being punished for doing something the NFL says not to do. The players aren't harming others or themselves. Imagi be if they all of a sudden banned beer and traces of beer stayed in your piss test long after the affects were gone. Yeah, it's not smart to still drink beer, but that doesn't excuse the ridiculous rules. Maybe they'll be harder on people that actually do something wrong.

They just need to stop testing for it at some point. I think the hypocrisy is more about the fact that they load these guys up with Percocet and other narcotic pain-killers like candy but something that could be both recreational and therapeutic for pain and stress is tested for. Like I said though I'm not saying the NFL should condone marijuana, but the testing for it seems hypocritical to me. Test for performance enhancing drugs all you want, but this is a seperate issue in my opinion and one the NFL will have to deal with as more states decriminalize or legalize it.

Traveler
05-01-2015, 08:00 AM
i really dont get it.

The broncos were a soft ass team last year. People often complained about it on here.

Guys like Shane Ray, his background, his struggle, his mindset, make it a bit tougher. Make up your minds of what you want your team to be.

Guilty as charged! We have enough choir boys. I love the pick. Depending what happens with the Collins kid from LSU, I wouldn't be upset if they took a flier on him too.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-01-2015, 08:09 AM

It's a federal law dude. It wouldn't be prudent for the NFL to declare a federally illegal drug as acceptible.

TXBRONC
05-01-2015, 08:22 AM
Lol, pretty much nothing more meaningless than handing out grades right after the draft.

Agreed, that's why I take them with a grain of salt.

tomjonesrocks
05-01-2015, 08:25 AM
i really dont get it. The broncos were a soft ass team last year. People often complained about it on here. Guys like Shane Ray, his background, his struggle, his mindset, make it a bit tougher. Make up your minds of what you want your team to be.

Yeah based on John's hair-on-fire comment definitely thought about "kicking and screaming"...

VonDoom
05-01-2015, 08:39 AM

Absolutely this. The draft is ONGOING and they want to grade each team already? Come on.

That being said, anyone surprised they gave the Pats an A+?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-01-2015, 09:15 AM
Absolutely this. The draft is ONGOING and they want to grade each team already? Come on.

That being said, anyone surprised they gave the Pats an A+?
Malcom Brown is the guy I was hoping Denver was moving up to take.

GEM
05-01-2015, 09:16 AM
Guilty as charged! We have enough choir boys. I love the pick. Depending what happens with the Collins kid from LSU, I wouldn't be upset if they took a flier on him too.

They've said he isn't a suspect, right?

If not, he has a squeaky clean background, I'd jump on it if I were them.

GEM
05-01-2015, 09:16 AM
It's a federal law dude. It wouldn't be prudent for the NFL to declare a federally illegal drug as acceptible.

Like Shake said...abuse of prescription pills is illegal too, but they don't have a problem with that.

weazel
05-01-2015, 09:20 AM
worth moving up for sure! great pick!

tomjonesrocks
05-01-2015, 09:23 AM
They've said he isn't a suspect, right? If not, he has a squeaky clean background, I'd jump on it if I were them.

If he's not a suspect can he sue them? "We want to talk to you...but not today--let's wait 'till next week". Sounded like he wanted to get out there.

If he really had nothing to do with it he got royally ****** over, though unsure why he wouldn't be shouting from the rooftops of his innocence.

Northman
05-01-2015, 09:27 AM
They just need to stop testing for it at some point. I think the hypocrisy is more about the fact that they load these guys up with Percocet and other narcotic pain-killers like candy but something that could be both recreational and therapeutic for pain and stress is tested for. Like I said though I'm not saying the NFL should condone marijuana, but the testing for it seems hypocritical to me. Test for performance enhancing drugs all you want, but this is a seperate issue in my opinion and one the NFL will have to deal with as more states decriminalize or legalize it.

Unfortunately until they do its still the rules and is hard for a an organization to win ballgames if a player is missing time because of personal choices that effects his career.

weazel
05-01-2015, 09:29 AM

do you think his boxers have bumskid? did you see what I did there?

CoachChaz
05-01-2015, 09:35 AM
If he's not a suspect can he sue them? "We want to talk to you...but not today--let's wait 'till next week". Sounded like he wanted to get out there.

If he really had nothing to do with it he got royally ****** over, though unsure why he wouldn't be shouting from the rooftops of his innocence.

Requesting to be removed from the general draft and placed in the supplemental draft so he could be taken at his value once he is cleared is the professional way of shouting from the rooftops. Personally, I think he and his agent are doing all the right things. None of which would make any sense if there was any chance he'd be implicated for anything. I'd definitely take him in round 3...and from what I've read and heard...he should be there.

Tned
05-01-2015, 09:37 AM
i really dont get it.

I guess I've missed all the complaining about the pick you're talking about. Is it stuff I haven't read or are you just hallucinating again?

CoachChaz
05-01-2015, 09:39 AM
I guess I've missed all the complaining about the pick you're talking about. Is it stuff I haven't read or are you just hallucinating again?

There were a few comments last night that were less than excited about the pick.

Tned
05-01-2015, 09:41 AM

The NFL has painted themselves in a corner. I don't know/remember when or why they started testing in the first place, but it's not the type of job where you would normally want/need drug testing of that sort. The reality is, they should be testing for performance enhancing drugs (and masking agents) and not focused on recreational stuff. However, changing the policy now, is dicey, since they are still illegal.

Then again, I'm not a big fan of the personal conduct policy either. If someone gets into a fight, or is charged with domestic abuse or child endangerment or whatever, that should be for the authorities to deal with. It's not an NFL matter.

Tned
05-01-2015, 09:42 AM
There were a few comments last night that were less than excited about the pick.

Yea, but from what I could tell, the majority were very happy and just hopes the guy doesn't screw again. He didn't learn his lesson after failing a drug test in college, but hopefully after getting busted for possession, he will.

We would have had just as people not happy if it was an OL pick.

CoachChaz
05-01-2015, 09:44 AM
Yea, but from what I could tell, the majority were very happy and just hopes the guy doesn't screw again. He didn't learn his lesson after failing a drug test in college, but hopefully after getting busted for possession, he will.

We would have had just as people not happy if it was an OL pick.

Of course...you cant please everyone. I remember being one of about about 5 people that were excited about drafting Von, so if this works out like that did (minus the suspension), then I'm ok with people being upset about it.

G_Money
05-01-2015, 09:47 AM
If La'el is there, do it. AFAIK he's never been in trouble before. He's a freakin' Eagle Scout - literally a boy scout (exponentially multiplied because Eagle Scout is an actual resume-enhancer). Not that boy scouts can do no wrong... but if there was ever a guy with a murder in his periphery that I DIDN'T have many concerns about, it would be Collins. I don't mind picking up guys who fall from "character concerns" who don't actually HAVE character concerns. Not a Lawrence Phillips / Rae Carruth deal in any way to me, so yeah I'd definitely have him on my board.

Traveler
05-01-2015, 11:11 AM
They've said he isn't a suspect, right?

If not, he has a squeaky clean background, I'd jump on it if I were them.

Gem, police have not publically made a statement. If they only want to talk with him, they should clear his name by saying he is not considered a suspect. I'd love for Elway to take another chance by selecting Collins, who would be an instant starter at OG or RT.

CoachChaz
05-01-2015, 11:15 AM
Gem, police have not publically made a statement. If they only want to talk with him, they should clear his name by saying he is not considered a suspect. I'd love for Elway to take another chance by selecting Collins, who would be an instant starter at OG or RT.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/04/29/lael-collins-sought-interview-shooting-death-nfl-draft

"Baton Rouge police say that Collins is not a suspect in the death of 29-year-old Brittany Mills, who was found dead last Friday in her apartment."

GEM
05-01-2015, 11:21 AM

I think him leaving Chicago to be interviewed says something about his innocence.

BigDaddyBronco
05-01-2015, 11:23 AM
If La'el is there, do it. AFAIK he's never been in trouble before. He's a freakin' Eagle Scout - literally a boy scout (exponentially multiplied because Eagle Scout is an actual resume-enhancer). Not that boy scouts can do no wrong... but if there was ever a guy with a murder in his periphery that I DIDN'T have many concerns about, it would be Collins. I don't mind picking up guys who fall from "character concerns" who don't actually HAVE character concerns. Not a Lawrence Phillips / Rae Carruth deal in any way to me, so yeah I'd definitely have him on my board.

That is where I am. Worth the gamble. At this point he would have needed to hire someone to kill her as his alibi check out from what I have heard (he was physically in Chicago when she was killed).

CoachChaz
05-01-2015, 11:30 AM
It's a no brainer to me, but despite the speculation from the "experts" that he doesnt get drafted today...I could see him going in the first 10 picks tonight.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-01-2015, 11:37 AM
That is where I am. Worth the gamble. At this point he would have needed to hire someone to kill her as his alibi check out from what I have heard (he was physically in Chicago when she was killed).

He could be a soft suspect. Is it possible he weighed the cost of having her killed vs paying 10k a month in child support?

BigDaddyBronco
05-01-2015, 11:54 AM
He could be a soft suspect. Is it possible he weighed the cost of having her killed vs paying 10k a month in child support?

True, that is why it is still a gamble. Also why they wanted to do a paternity test on the baby.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-01-2015, 11:57 AM
from article:

CHICAGO -- If Shane Ray translates the passion and fire he displayed during his media sessions Thursday night onto the field, the Denver Broncos will be plenty happy with their first-round pick.

"I guaranteed Mr. Elway that I will not have any issues," Ray told a swarm of reporters. "As I said before, I'm not a person who has character issues at all."

Slated as a top-10 pick prior to his incident, Ray was incensed that some teams passed on him because of one "mistake."

"I will let all those teams know they made the hugest mistake of this draft," he said.

What is a concern for Ray is paying back all the teams who felt like he wasn't worth the risk.

"This does nothing but add fuel to my fire," he said. "I hope those teams understand that this is the kind of person I am. I will use this is as motivation. And I hope that I see every one of those teams. ... Oh yeah, (those teams that passed on me) they're all circled, best believe. Mentally, each team that passed me is circled."

full article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000489626/article/shane-ray-assures-elway-he-will-not-have-any-issues

I did not have time to see if this was already posted

VonDoom
05-01-2015, 12:31 PM

This is what I'm thinking. Police investigations take a while, and there's no way to know for sure what happened until all the facts come out. Teams don't have the luxury of time if they want to pick him. Given the rest of his background, I lean towards "not guilty" here, so if he's around at 59 ... man, it would be tempting.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-01-2015, 12:35 PM
This is what I'm thinking. Police investigations take a while, and there's no way to know for sure what happened until all the facts come out. Teams don't have the luxury of time if they want to pick him. Given the rest of his background, I lean towards "not guilty" here, so if he's around at 59 ... man, it would be tempting.

You might be right, I don't know anything about the kid

Denver Native (Carol)
05-01-2015, 12:49 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 3h

A little backround on Shane Ray. http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-missouri/article5274666.html …

Denver Native (Carol)
05-01-2015, 01:11 PM
Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 15h

Kubiak; "We got better tonight.''

Kubiak: Team did a "little more work'' on Ray in last couple days.

Elway said Lions have inquired about Manny Ramirez several times over last "couple weeks''

Denver Native (Carol)
05-01-2015, 02:56 PM
John Elway shares his thoughts on the first round selection of Shane Ray

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Elway-on-selecting-Shane-Ray/81150264-2455-4b93-849e-ea87161a2dcf

BroncoJoe
05-01-2015, 04:14 PM
Unfortunately until they do its still the rules and is hard for a an organization to win ballgames if a player is missing time because of personal choices that effects his career.

That, plus I don't know of a profession where it's OK to test positive for any mind altering drug. Alcohol included.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-01-2015, 04:21 PM
Shane Ray gets the call
John Elway makes the call to defensive end Shane Ray telling him he's going to be a Bronco.
http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Shane-Ray-gets-the-call/d5ca4bd9-b55b-4a4d-9d56-25535d4faff8

Elway & Kubiak on selecting Shane Ray
John Elway and Gary Kubiak discuss the first round selection of Shane Ray.
http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Elway_Kubiak_on_selecting_Shane_Ray/13487e77-f887-4a45-a513-e9059fb4a3a2

WARHORSE
05-01-2015, 04:36 PM
This kid plays nasty. I love it. Cant wait to see him hit Brady....Rivers.....Carr.....Smith.........Wilson. ......

Denver Native (Carol)
05-01-2015, 04:41 PM
LIVE: Shane Ray introduced as a Bronco
Watch live as Shane Ray meets the media at Dove Valley for the first time as a Bronco.
http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/LIVE-Shane-Ray-introduced-as-a-Bronco/79a0432a-374b-440f-b67e-e15eb8871984

He is in Denver talking right now

Denver Native (Carol)
05-01-2015, 05:07 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 6m

After visiting with Shane Ray's mother, I'm very certain the Broncos made the right pick with this kid. Sebrina Johnson runs a tight ship.

Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 27m

Ray on his toe injury: "I haven't had time to heal...I feel like I'll be ready to go by the season".

Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 29m

Shane Ray: "I woke up this morning, put on my Broncos jersey and my hat. I said I'm a Bronco!"

G_Money
05-01-2015, 05:18 PM
The Broncos medical staff better be right about his toe, though. Willis just retired from a recurring toe problem, so if it still isn't healed after however many months that's a concern for me.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-01-2015, 05:38 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 13m

Shane Ray helped himself today. Very impressive. Poised. Polished. Smart. Remorseful. I can see why Broncos believe he won't mess up again

Denver Native (Carol)
05-01-2015, 06:55 PM
Shane Ray introductory press conference

Shane Ray was introduced at a press conference earlier today as the newest member of the Denver Broncos.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Shane-Ray-introductory-press-conference/98048218-54c0-4a08-bd0e-e95664e9bdfc

dogfish
05-01-2015, 08:00 PM

they don't have to "declare it acceptable". . . they can just stop testing for it-- millions of businesses don't test for recreational drugs, the NFL is under no obligation to do so. . . not positive, but i'm pretty sure the NBA doesn't test for weed. . .

The Broncos medical staff better be right about his toe, though. Willis just retired from a recurring toe problem, so if it still isn't healed after however many months that's a concern for me.

G, i hear ya, but if we can get as many good years out of him as they got out of willis, it's a 23rd pick more than well spent IMO. . .

:defense:

Tned
05-01-2015, 08:27 PM
they don't have to "declare it acceptable". . . they can just stop testing for it-- millions of businesses don't test for recreational drugs, the NFL is under no obligation to do so. . . not positive, but i'm pretty sure the NBA doesn't test for weed. . .

The problem is when they stop testing, and I think they eventually will, it will be a huge news event and will be presented as them endorsing the use of an illegal substance.

If they had never tested, then it wouldn't be presented as endorsing it when they stop it.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Forum Runner

Cugel
05-02-2015, 12:10 PM
I think so many people really miss the point when people bring up these things. We ALL hope that this kid did have one mistake and becomes a great player for Denver. The point isnt about Shane Ray being human like everyone else, the point is he is now playing in the NFL and their policies are strict ones. So from a business standpoint when you paying a player millions of dollars and expecting them to be there on gameday that making bad personal choices in their private life can and will effect that and the good will of the team. Its really not that hard of a concept to understand.

It's a risk, sure. But, without the weed bust he would have been taken in the top 10 and the Broncos would never have gotten within 20 draft picks of getting him. Teams with top 10 picks cannot take a risk, so they weren't going to draft him. The pressure to get an All-Pro with those picks is so great that screwing it up taking a guy who gets in trouble off the field can get a GM fired. "All the signs were there and they took him anyway." No GM wants to see that.

At least the Broncos can say "he was a top 10 talent and we took a chance. It's not often that you get a guy with freakish athletic ability like that at #23."

But, realistically, it doesn't look like he will have any further problems. There have been plenty of guys who smoked weed in college who didn't in the NFL.

This guy is not exactly Ricky Williams. I made fun of him, but he doesn't exactly look like Peter Tosh either:

"Legalize it! Don't criticize it!"

Cugel
05-02-2015, 12:22 PM
The problem is when they stop testing, and I think they eventually will, it will be a huge news event and will be presented as them endorsing the use of an illegal substance.

If they had never tested, then it wouldn't be presented as endorsing it when they stop it.

Don't worry. "The NFL is the last bastion of fascism in America." - Hunter S. Thompson. They're not going to be in a rush to stop testing. They'll hold out against it.

But, in the next five years up to a dozen more states will legalize weed, especially California. There will be intense pressure to simply re-schedule weed as a Class-2 rather than Class-1 drug (class-1 = no medical use). Even if there's no federal repeal (and there might well be depending on who controls Congress), the pressure will be on the NFL to back off enforcement.

The massively unsuccessful "War on Drugs" is coming to end at some point, and probably sooner than later. Anybody who deals with the courts and criminal justice system (such as the Denver Drug Court) professionally is forcibly confronted with the monstrous waste of taxpayer dollars and resources mandated by that drug policy. We've had 35 years of this policy and it just has not worked.

The NFL might be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century, but it will happen. And before most people expect too.

WARHORSE
05-02-2015, 06:23 PM
After listening to Shane Rays introductory press conference, I have to say that Im GLAD he decided to make an immature decision.

Cause coupled with our existing front seven....this man is going to bring the HEAT.

Tned
05-02-2015, 07:16 PM
Don't worry. "The NFL is the last bastion of fascism in America." - Hunter S. Thompson. They're not going to be in a rush to stop testing. They'll hold out against it.

But, in the next five years up to a dozen more states will legalize weed, especially California. There will be intense pressure to simply re-schedule weed as a Class-2 rather than Class-1 drug (class-1 = no medical use). Even if there's no federal repeal (and there might well be depending on who controls Congress), the pressure will be on the NFL to back off enforcement.

The massively unsuccessful "War on Drugs" is coming to end at some point, and probably sooner than later. Anybody who deals with the courts and criminal justice system (such as the Denver Drug Court) professionally is forcibly confronted with the monstrous waste of taxpayer dollars and resources mandated by that drug policy. We've had 35 years of this policy and it just has not worked.

The NFL might be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century, but it will happen. And before most people expect too.

The politics forum is that way ====>

After you find it, get on your drug policy soap box in the correct forum.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab S using Forum Runner