PDA

View Full Version : Broncos backup QB Brock Osweiler "burning" to show what he can do

Denver Native (Carol)
04-29-2015, 10:07 AM
Brock Osweiler found out during his Caribbean honeymoon in Saint Lucia that Peyton Manning was returning this season. Osweiler purposefully remained out of the loop for two months, preparing for his Feb. 28 wedding and leaving the TV tuned to the Golf Channel.

The news created clarity, leaving the former Arizona State star with singular focus and motivation entering the final year of his rookie contract.

"It's nothing easy, and nothing directly prepares you for it. My coordinator in college once told me, 'Only worry about the things you can control.' I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to be the starter for this team, but at the same time it wasn't up to me. Right now Peyton is our starter. That is great," Osweiler said Tuesday. "I can only control how much I know the playbook, how I practice. I want to try to give Coach (Gary) Kubiak and (general manager) John Elway the best product that they've seen from me in four years. I am very confident that this August, they will see the product that John drafted, they will see what he was hoping I would turn into. I want to walk away from the preseason with no regrets."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28006896/broncos-backup-qb-brock-osweiler-burning-show-what-he-can-do

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-29-2015, 10:14 AM
I would be concerned if he didn't want to be the starter. Brock is a competitor, which is good.

Northman
04-29-2015, 10:14 AM
Just bide your time dude.

artie_dale
04-29-2015, 10:28 AM
If he shows good stuff in Aug, I wouldn't be opposed to resigning him. I have my own concerns about him, but it's all moot until we see what he can do when/if he's given the keys.

Davii
04-29-2015, 10:36 AM
If he shows good stuff in Aug, I wouldn't be opposed to resigning him. I have my own concerns about him, but it's all moot until we see what he can do when/if he's given the keys.

I really hope he gets some regular season time this year. Big lead, etc. I also hope that if there's an opportunity that Peyton takes a game off to rest.

broncofaninfla
04-29-2015, 12:41 PM
I love me some Manning but I'd also like to see Brock eventually become the guy. It would be to have another home grown Broncos QB.

Valar Morghulis
04-29-2015, 05:59 PM
My gut says neither manning nor oz will be Broncos next year.

Simple Jaded
04-29-2015, 09:55 PM

Why is your gut such a hater?

Simple Jaded
04-29-2015, 10:15 PM
We don't need no Weiler, let the mother****** burn. Burn mother******. . .burn!

Jsteve01
04-29-2015, 10:26 PM
We don't need no Weiler, let the mother****** burn. Burn mother******. . .burn!

dude

Simple Jaded
04-29-2015, 10:37 PM
dude

Ya see what I did there?

Valar Morghulis
04-29-2015, 11:19 PM
Why is your gut such a hater?

It's because my gut is Jewish. The name ozweiler sounds like a prison guard at Auschwitz and manning has a large forehead which just makes me uncomfortable.

Simple Jaded
04-29-2015, 11:49 PM
It's because my gut is Jewish. The name ozweiler sounds like a prison guard at Auschwitz and manning has a large forehead which just makes me uncomfortable.

Well yeah, when you put it like that, I guess.

My gut just doesn't like lactose. And wilted lettuce.

Valar Morghulis
04-29-2015, 11:58 PM

My gut enjoys scotch. Scotchy scotch scotch. It goes down. Down into my belly.

Jsteve01
04-30-2015, 07:27 AM

My gut enjoys scotch. Scotchy scotch scotch. It goes down. Down into my belly. ironic

Canmore
04-30-2015, 08:15 PM
My gut enjoys scotch. Scotchy scotch scotch. It goes down. Down into my belly.

Thought you didn't imbibe in spirits.

Cugel
05-01-2015, 01:04 AM

Your gut is correct.

First, clearly Peyton is heading into his last season, unless he has something of a come-back season this year he will not play out his entire 5 year contract.

Second, clearly also the Broncos do NOT exactly think they have Aaron Rogers waiting in the wings here, otherwise they would never have brought Peyton back for one last season.

If they believed Brock was their future Franchise QB, then they would clearly need to bring him in and get him some starting experience this year, before his contract expires so they can see how he does. If he's their long-term future, then the sooner they start, the better. The Packers didn't let Brett Favre hand around for another season or two when he tried to un-retire. In this scenario it would make no sense to give Peyton one last chance at a SB at age 39.

The Broncos are NOT committing themselves to Osweiler long term and they are going to look for alternatives to him at QB next year.

They will enter 2016 with Brock as an UFA, never having seen him start a regular season NFL game - unless Peyton gets hurt.

They would only do that if they didn't believe Brock was anything special. They may still try and re-sign him and give him a "chance to compete" but clearly either this draft or next they are going to draft another QB, or trade for one.

None of this is a surprise, except to some Broncos fans who insist on believing in Unicorns.

There have been about 118 QBs selected with pick #57 or later in the draft since Tom Brady was taken in the 6th round in 2000, and only ONE of them was any good - Russell Wilson. Literally, you'd have a better chance going to Vegas and betting the house, the kids and the family dog all on #17 red at the roulette wheel. That would give you a 2.6% chance, while the chance that Brock Osweiler will ever be good enough to lead an NFL team to a SB are about 0.8% - 1/3 the chance you'd get betting on roulette.

If Brock was the average of what you can expect at #57 he'd be Chad Henne or Brian Brohme. Someone believed in those guys once too and wasted 2nd round picks on them. If he was a bit better than the average #57 pick, he might be as good as Brian Griese, Kyle Orton or Matt Schaub, all of whom became NFL starters and played for a significant # of years in the NFL; but none of whom were any good.

Could Osweiler really become a Super-Bowl champion? Well, we know the Broncos don't really think so. :coffee:

Valar Morghulis
05-01-2015, 01:08 AM
Thought you didn't imbibe in spirits.

I don't, I just thought quoting anchorman would be funny

MOtorboat
05-01-2015, 01:10 AM
To fit in with the theme of the previous post, here is a crystal ball:

http://www.fairiesinamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/crystal_ball.jpg

Canmore
05-01-2015, 02:58 AM
Crystal ball
There's so many things I need to know
Crystal ball
There's so many things I've got to know
Crystal ball

BroncoJoe
05-01-2015, 04:32 PM
I didn't realize Cugel worked for the Broncos. It's the only way he has so much "factual" information.

Clearly.

MOtorboat
05-01-2015, 04:45 PM
I didn't realize Cugel worked for the Broncos. It's the only way he has so much "factual" information.

Clearly.

Well, clearly he can't beat out Manning so he can't be any good.

tripp
05-03-2015, 11:27 AM
I liked what I've seen from Zac Dysert in the pre-season games, more so than what I've seen from Brock. I'm hoping Dysert is given every opportunity to compete against Oz for the starting position once Manning retires.

Simple Jaded
05-03-2015, 09:22 PM
I liked what I've seen from Zac Dysert in the pre-season games, more so than what I've seen from Brock. I'm hoping Dysert is given every opportunity to compete against Oz for the starting position once Manning retires.

I think Dysert spends another year on the PS if he's lucky, he won't make the team over Siemian so he needs to hope Siemian makes the final 53. I doubt they keep 2 on the PS.

Unless something happens with Osweiler, that is.

If Manning retires I bet there's a 4 way competition between Osweiler, Siemian, Dysert and a rookie.

Shazam!
05-03-2015, 10:02 PM
Second, clearly also the Broncos do NOT exactly think they have Aaron Rogers waiting in the wings here, otherwise they would never have brought Peyton back for one last season.

Stopped reading right there. It has nothing to do with Oz. Peyton says he's ready, they were going to go with Peyton. He didn't pull a Farve or do something that pissed Elway off. He was professional. As long as he can still play and they believe he can play, you go with Peyton.