PDA

View Full Version : Next Up - The Fat Lady

Broncos Mtnman
12-02-2007, 09:52 PM
There's an old adage in sports that says, "It's never over until the fat lady sings."

Well, thanks to the pathetic display of ineptitude displayed by the Broncos against the "cellar-dweller" Raiders this afternoon, she's on stage and clearing her throat.

After a stretch of three weeks where it looked like the Broncos were finally getting some of their act together, the Broncos looked more like the team that went 3-5 in the first 8 weeks, than the team we've been seeing the past few games.

An offense that was really starting to click coughed up the ball 4 times.

An offense that was averaging slightly more than 30 points a game the past 3 weeks, managed to score only 20.

An offense with one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL ran for only 86 yards against the worst defense in the NFL against the run (the Raiders were ranked 32nd going into today's game).

A defense that looked like it was finally learning how to stop the run, gave up 146 yards to the Raiders 3rd string RB.

A defense that had held opponents to an average of around 20 points per game the past three weeks, gave up 34 points to a Raiders team that was ranked 25th in total scoring.

And last, but not least, after today, a team that was in a tie for 1st place in one of the weakest division in the NFL this season, finds itself 2 games out of 1st place with only 4 games left to play.

This week's four downs...

The Good Stuff (there isn't much)

1st - 3rd down efficiency. After only converting 1 out of 12 third downs last week, the Broncos converted 7 of 15 (46%)

2nd - Red Zone and Goal-to-go. The Broncos were 2/4 in the Red Zone and 2/2 in goal-to-go. Another encouraging stat is that the 2 TDs were rushing TDs.

3rd - Brandon Stokely. This guy is proving to be the greatest free agent acquisition we've seen at Dove Valley in several years. He had 102 yards receiving on just THREE catches. He's a keeper.

4th - DJ Williams. The guy had 13 solo tackles and 3 assists. Runner-up for the defense would be Nate Webster who had 9 solo tackles and 1 assist. Together, they accounted for nearly 42% of the defense's total.

The Bad Stuff

1st - Run defense. A weakness that appeared to be partially fixed showed up again with a vengeance. I mean really, other than being the son of "Huggy Bear" from the old Starsky and Hutch TV show, this guy is nothing but a 3rd string running back. Still, this "nobody" ran rough-shod over the Broncos defense like he's been doing it his whole life.

2nd - Turnovers. I already mentioned the total above. 3 came from Jay Cutler, who had what I would consider the worst game of his short career, giving up 2 INTs and a fumble on a botched handoff.

The fourth one came courtesy of the Broncos soon-to-be suspended running back.

3rd - Pass defense. The line score will show that the Broncos only surrendered about 200 yards, but they also gave up 3 touchdown passes to an Arizona Cardinals cast off (Josh McCown). I don't know about you, but I thought "shut down" corner meant that they shut down the opposing team, not the other way around.

And I'm sorry, but Foxworth may be a very nice guy with a great college education, but he's a HUGE liability in our nickel coverage. He was burned worse than my breakfast on several plays, one being a TD.

4th - Red Zone defense. The weaknesses above resulted in a defense that allowed the Raiders (remember, the 25th ranked scoring defense) to go 4/5 in the Red Zone. Pathetic doesn't come close to describing that.

Mathematically, the Broncos are still alive. Of course, the Chargers will have to stumble over the last four games. With Tennessee and Oakland on the road and Detroit and Denver to play at home, the chances of that happening don't appear too likely.

Add to that, the Broncos face KC, Houston (road), SD (road) and Minn. Even if they can run the table, that would still require SD to lose one of their games against Tennessee, Detroit or Oakland.

Like I said......

Next up, the Fat Lady.

BMM

saddletramp
12-02-2007, 10:22 PM
is such negativity really such a good thing???

topscribe
12-02-2007, 10:36 PM
is such negativity really such a good thing???

This is where we post articles about the team (after going through WookieeBronco).
We present our thoughts here, positive or negative. In Mtnman's case, it is usually
a realistic assessment, which cannot be all positive, of course.

But your intentions are certainly appreciated! :beer:

-----

Crush05
12-03-2007, 12:16 AM
Well BMM my brother..... you have said it all.Great post!!

I have said all day long:

We beat the teams we should lose against and we look great doing it, then the teams we lose to are the teams we should have man handled or at least won by a comfortable margin. :confused::mad::tsk:

By the way I am sure glad we did not go to Oakland this year!!!!!

Medford Bronco
12-03-2007, 01:35 AM
Another great assessment Mtn Man

Even though I did not see the game, it seems like the sloppy play is what did us in. I did see Cutlers last pick and it was such a bad decision :tsk:

oh well. Hope to build some confidence the last 4 games for him.

we shall see. I think 8-8 might even be a stetch now. :sad:

Retired_Member_001
12-03-2007, 04:40 AM
This is where we post articles about the team (after going through WookieeBronco).
We present our thoughts here, positive or negative. In Mtnman's case, it is usually

-----

Actually no article has to go by me unless it's my own work. :laugh:

If your on the articles team you can post articles at will.

Retired_Member_001
12-03-2007, 04:44 AM
A good article Mtnman.

I think the fat lady has sung. I think the season is simply over, San Diego are on a two game winning streak and I don't think they will fail now they are in rythm.

As I have said in my other thread, I think we should just flunk the season and get a high draft pick. Even if we played our best we would only win two more games AT THE MOST.

Together, they accounted for nearly 42% of the defense's total.

Interesting stat. I also agree about Foxworth, I also don't think Foxworth could tackle a little girl.

topscribe
12-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Actually no article has to go by me unless it's my own work. :laugh:

If your on the articles team you can post articles at will.

Well, that's what I meant. They have to go to you to get on the articles team, right?

-----

Mike
12-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Good article, Mntman.

I would have included undiciplined penalties to the list of bad...perhaps add a REALLY BAD section. ;)

saddletramp
12-03-2007, 08:56 PM

-----

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/Saddletramp69/SMILEYS/HUHSIGN.gif

intentions???

what intentions???? :confused:

I was talking about the negativity of the article.

Medford Bronco
12-03-2007, 10:37 PM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/Saddletramp69/SMILEYS/HUHSIGN.gif

intentions???

what intentions???? :confused:

I was talking about the negativity of the article.

its called honesty
this team is just not good and for someone not
to see that is just being blinded, sorry Saddle

Mtn Man is spot on here.

saddletramp
12-03-2007, 10:46 PM
its called honesty
this team is just not good and for someone not
to see that is just being blinded, sorry Saddle

Mtn Man is spot on here.

I am blinded because I dont like to see negative articles about my favorite team???

thats the biggest line of BS I have ever heard from you Med.

Medford Bronco
12-04-2007, 12:47 AM
I am blinded because I dont like to see negative articles about my favorite team???

It called honesty this team is not good, sorry I do not sugar coat bud
I said nothing wrong and I can admit when my team is not having a great year

I have a right to my opinion

sorry I do not wear the http://www.maximumeyewear.com/productfolder/aviator-sunglasses/colored-frame-aviator-sunglasess/orange-lens-aviator-glasses.jpg

It does not mean I want them to suck, I hate it and and hope we win out
but its not likely with all the problems this team has had with injury and
turnover of personel.

Lonestar
12-04-2007, 08:47 PM
There's an old adage in sports that says, "It's never over until the fat lady sings."

Well, thanks to the pathetic display of ineptitude displayed by the Broncos against the "cellar-dweller" Raiders this afternoon, she's on stage and clearing her throat.

After a stretch of three weeks where it looked like the Broncos were finally getting some of their act together, the Broncos looked more like the team that went 3-5 in the first 8 weeks, than the team we've been seeing the past few games.

An offense that was averaging slightly more than 30 points a game the past 3 weeks, managed to score only 20.

An offense with one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL ran for only 86 yards against the worst defense in the NFL against the run (the Raiders were ranked 32nd going into today's game).

A defense that looked like it was finally learning how to stop the run, gave up 146 yards to the Raiders 3rd string RB.

A defense that had held opponents to an average of around 20 points per game the past three weeks, gave up 34 points to a Raiders team that was ranked 25th in total scoring.

And last, but not least, after today, a team that was in a tie for 1st place in one of the weakest division in the NFL this season, finds itself 2 games out of 1st place with only 4 games left to play.

1st - 3rd down efficiency. After only converting 1 out of 12 third downs last week, the Broncos converted 7 of 15 (46%)

2nd - Red Zone and Goal-to-go. The Broncos were 2/4 in the Red Zone and 2/2 in goal-to-go. Another encouraging stat is that the 2 TDs were rushing TDs.

3rd - Brandon Stokely. This guy is proving to be the greatest free agent acquisition we've seen at Dove Valley in several years. He had 102 yards receiving on just THREE catches. He's a keeper.

4th - DJ Williams. The guy had 13 solo tackles and 3 assists. Runner-up for the defense would be Nate Webster who had 9 solo tackles and 1 assist. Together, they accounted for nearly 42% of the defense's total.

The Bad Stuff

1st - Run defense. A weakness that appeared to be partially fixed showed up again with a vengeance. I mean really, other than being the son of "Huggy Bear" from the old Starsky and Hutch TV show, this guy is nothing but a 3rd string running back. Still, this "nobody" ran rough-shod over the Broncos defense like he's been doing it his whole life.

2nd - Turnovers. I already mentioned the total above. 3 came from Jay Cutler, who had what I would consider the worst game of his short career, giving up 2 INTs and a fumble on a botched handoff.

3rd - Pass defense. The line score will show that the Broncos only surrendered about 200 yards, but they also gave up 3 touchdown passes to an Arizona Cardinals cast off (Josh McCown). I don't know about you, but I thought "shut down" corner meant that they shut down the opposing team, not the other way around.

And I'm sorry, but Foxworth may be a very nice guy with a great college education, but he's a HUGE liability in our nickel coverage. He was burned worse than my breakfast on several plays, one being a TD.

4th - Red Zone defense. The weaknesses above resulted in a defense that allowed the Raiders (remember, the 25th ranked scoring defense) to go 4/5 in the Red Zone. Pathetic doesn't come close to describing that.

Mathematically, the Broncos are still alive. Of course, the Chargers will have to stumble over the last four games. With Tennessee and Oakland on the road and Detroit and Denver to play at home, the chances of that happening don't appear too likely.

Add to that, the Broncos face KC, Houston (road), SD (road) and Minn. Even if they can run the table, that would still require SD to lose one of their games against Tennessee, Detroit or Oakland.

Like I said......

Next up, the Fat Lady.

BMM

Great summation of the game. I wished I could have seen it and I doubt if NFL network is going to show it this weak as one of the few games of the weak..

:salute: to you for the info..

NOW THAT SAID anyone out there that could send me a coy of the game on DVD or VHS I'd be glad to reimburse you for the time and postage..

Lonestar
12-04-2007, 08:49 PM

Have not been looking at my posts much this year huh?

BANJOPICKER1
12-04-2007, 09:51 PM
I think we are in trouble,but perhaps I can make things just a bit better in my own way with some wise notes from Earl Scruggs!!:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofMJZC96_bk

saddletramp
12-05-2007, 01:13 AM
Have not been looking at my posts much this year huh?

In all honesty?

I dont think I have ever read a post of yours, here or on Mania. Its nothing personal or anything like that, its just I havent read any is all.

omac
12-06-2007, 12:15 AM
Nice article, broncos_mtnman! :cheers:

On Fargas being a 3rd string RB ..... yes, he used to be, but now they consider him their best RB, and I do too. When he first took over this season for an injured Lamont Jordan, he had a huge breakout game. Then they used him sparingly when Lamont came back, which I thought was a mistake, as he seemed a more determined, explosive runner. Finally, they decided to make him the #1 and he's been very productive.

Fargas may have been just a regular RB under the "old" Raider rushing offense, but now that they use a zone-blocking style offense, he's an excellent RB.

What i am disappointed about, like you are, is the inability of the Broncos to produce great rushing yardage against the leagues worst run defense. I think part of the problem here is the darn injuries. I'd have been confident with just ONE of our RBs healthy.

Another possible reason they've had great success defending our rushing offense is that they're now using a similar one, and they get to practice against it. That should have them well prepared. As much as the Raiders hate the Broncos, they're becoming more and more like them. I guess if you can't beat your enemy, be your enemy. :D

topscribe
12-06-2007, 12:30 AM
Nice article, broncos_mtnman! :cheers:

On Fargas being a 3rd string RB ..... yes, he used to be, but now they consider him their best RB, and I do too. When he first took over this season for an injured Lamont Jordan, he had a huge breakout game. Then they used him sparingly when Lamont came back, which I thought was a mistake, as he seemed a more determined, explosive runner. Finally, they decided to make him the #1 and he's been very productive.

Fargas may have been just a regular RB under the "old" Raider rushing offense, but now that they use a zone-blocking style offense, he's an excellent RB.

What i am disappointed about, like you are, is the inability of the Broncos to produce great rushing yardage against the leagues worst run defense. I think part of the problem here is the darn injuries. I'd have been confident with just ONE of our RBs healthy.

Another possible reason they've had great success defending our rushing offense is that they're now using a similar one, and they get to practice against it. That should have them well prepared. As much as the Raiders hate the Broncos, they're becoming more and more like them. I guess if you can't beat your enemy, be your enemy. :D

Hmmm . . . which begs the question: The Broncos practice against it, too.

So what happened to them?

-----

Retired_Member_001
12-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Well, that's what I meant. They have to go to you to get on the articles team, right?

-----

Actually they send a request PM to me and then all of the members decide.

Den21vsBal19
12-06-2007, 03:36 PM

I thought that the Weakside LB was the one supposed to put up the numbers? :confused:

I've got to admit, DJ's impressed me with the way that he's taken to the Mike slot, he always had the right phsicallity for it, but he's picked up the position pretty well (for his third position in three years)..................now if only the DL could tie up the blockers ;)

omac
12-07-2007, 07:01 AM
Hmmm . . . which begs the question: The Broncos practice against it, too.

So what happened to them?

-----

I don't know the Raiders injury situation, nor how weak their defensive line is, but my guess is that ours is just worse, for whatever reasons. No matter, they held serve when they were able to rack up rushing yards against us, while we couldn't.

I just think Lane outcoached Shanny this time to get his team much more prepared; the injuries to all our RBs and the road games stretch was also probably taking it's toll.

Lonestar
12-07-2007, 01:10 PM
I thought that the Weakside LB was the one supposed to put up the numbers? :confused:

I've got to admit, DJ's impressed me with the way that he's taken to the Mike slot, he always had the right phsicallity for it, but he's picked up the position pretty well (for his third position in three years)..................now if only the DL could tie up the blockers ;)

great analysis of the issue.. :salute:

The key to your post is as it has been for the past decade, LOS and the DL.

Once they get a Hanesworth type DT on the DL 85% of the issues disappear.. Everyone gets better just because they are not having to do the DLs job.

Lonestar
12-07-2007, 01:13 PM
I don't know the Raiders injury situation, nor how weak their defensive line is, but my guess is that ours is just worse, for whatever reasons. No matter, they held serve when they were able to rack up rushing yards against us, while we couldn't.

I just think Lane outcoached Shanny this time to get his team much more prepared; the injuries to all our RBs and the road games stretch was also probably taking it's toll.

Well the only advantage to playing at home seems to be they do not have to travel..

Mile high mystique seems to be gone little of any crowd noise.

Nobody seems to believe the high altitude any longer..

Pat got his luxury boxes and the players got screwed with no 12th man..

Lonestar
12-15-2007, 04:56 PM

The Bad Stuff

Like I said......

Next up, the Fat Lady.

BMM

Fat Lady has cleared her throat and is midway through the first stanza..

I concur with the foxworth comment.

Have been calling him foxworthless for a year now..

Speaking of which do they still have the fat lady at Lakeside park?

pnbronco
12-16-2007, 12:48 AM
As much as I hate to say it. The fancy dress is on. The spotlight is in the center of the stage and she has started her song.

saddletramp
12-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Faith, everybody has to have a Faith.

Medford Bronco
12-17-2007, 10:00 AM

Yes Faith in God but not in football

we done now, mathematically elimated, no suprise
this year with the inconsistency of this team all season long
with injuries sprinkled in :tsk:

Lonestar
12-19-2007, 05:04 PM

Faith Hill? Sure thing,, in the donkeys well that ran out about TC..

Medford Bronco
12-19-2007, 06:31 PM
Here you go JR :D

http://faith-hill.celebritything.com/photos/faith_hill_2.jpg