PDA

View Full Version : Broncos waive DE Quant Smith

VonDoom
04-28-2015, 09:29 AM
Quanterus Smith’s potential never matched his production. With the draft approaching this week, creating additional competition for roster spots, the Broncos waived the defensive end, according to an NFL source.

A fifth-round draft choice in 2013 out of Western Kentucky, Smith played 15 games last season as DeMarcus Ware’s backup, posting 11 tackles and zero sacks, leaving the Broncos ready to move in a different direction. He appeared in 308 snaps, showing flashes of pass-rush ability, but was unable to gain traction. According to Pro Football Focus, Smith received a negative grade in all games, save for his 15-play appearance at New England where he displayed strong run defense.

The rest: http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2015/04/28/broncos-waive-defensive-end-quanterus-smith/33770/

Northman
04-28-2015, 09:31 AM
Not too surprising, barely ever heard his name called on gameday's.

underrated29
04-28-2015, 09:42 AM
Never understood the hype he got anyway. Wesley duke.

VonDoom
04-28-2015, 09:51 AM
I think they saw a lot of potential there, and so far, he just hasn't lived up to it. He's recovering from an injury and like Renck says, roster spots are at a premium with ten potential draft picks coming up. I'm still a little surprised they did it now, considering there's plenty more dead weight on this team than Smith, but I'm not too broken up about it.

VonDoom
04-28-2015, 10:16 AM
Looks like it was indeed specifically injury related:

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 4m4 minutes ago West Pleasant View, CO

Quanterus Smith failed his physical. He was rehabbing from knee surgery. #9News

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-28-2015, 10:30 AM
Looks like it was indeed specifically injury related:

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 4m4 minutes ago West Pleasant View, CO

Quanterus Smith failed his physical. He was rehabbing from knee surgery. #9News

That's what I suspected

Buff
04-28-2015, 10:45 AM
This is why we should try to trade up in the draft. We are not in rebuilding mode - so trying to find roster spots for 2-3 year projects makes no sense for this team.

Tned
04-28-2015, 11:02 AM
Never understood the hype he got anyway. Wesley duke.

The hype was based on his pre-injury talent. Any time you draft a player coming off a serious injury, you don't know if you will get a player that can ever make it back to his pre-injury level.

underrated29
04-28-2015, 11:54 AM
The hype was based on his pre-injury talent. Any time you draft a player coming off a serious injury, you don't know if you will get a player that can ever make it back to his pre-injury level.

As far as I know he had two sacks in one game against two very good Rt and LT...In that game he didnt beat them more as coverag sacks and the QB ran to him. His pre-injury wasnt all that special to me. Sure he lead the sack race until he was hurt, but he had like 6. I like Malik Jackson better, by quite a long shot. I rate him about the same as Kenny Anninuke, pre injury. Q just never did anything that made me think he was anything more than a low end rotational guy.

Dzone
04-28-2015, 01:40 PM
Sad to see. I remember seeing his highlight film and thinking the kid could be great. I think he had a bunch of sacks against alabama.Oh well, opens a spot for someone else who might excel

Traveler
04-28-2015, 02:31 PM

I really wish they would stop doing that!

dogfish
04-28-2015, 06:03 PM
no big surprise. . . been telling y'all for a while that we have a major need for another edge rusher. . . in related interesting news, shane ray just joined randy gregory in the marijuana problems department. . . with guys like fowler and beasley also available, i wonder if ray or gregory might fall into our range, and whether elway would consider one of them. . . certainly seems like RT is our most likely option if we stay at 28, but you never know. . . they might be a little gunshy after von's BS, though. . .

LTC Pain
04-28-2015, 06:28 PM
Too bad. Had high hopes for this guy. Good luck Q!

iLands
04-29-2015, 09:47 AM
We had to cut someone to re-sign Tony Carter.