PDA

View Full Version : When I Was Drafted: Rick Upchurch

Denver Native (Carol)
04-25-2015, 04:33 PM
Legendary Bronco Rick Upchurch will return to the NFL Draft to represent the Broncos 40 years after he was drafted by the team. This is his story of what the event was like when he went through it.

Rick Upchurch had no clue the Broncos were interested in drafting him in 1975. They hadn't been to his workouts, unlike scouts from the Steelers and Chiefs. But the Broncos' intel must have had a pretty good bead on him from what they saw the former Minnesota wide receiver do on the field and what they heard about him.

Unlike today's draft process where cameras and scouts swarm around players at the combine or collegiate pro days, the events were not covered by media.

"When I was at the University of Minnesota and they came in and just timed me," Upchurch told me over the phone on Wednesday. "Everybody just came in and timed me. Then Denver Broncos didn’t even show up. I had no idea that they were even interested in me. When they came and timed me, it was the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Kansas City Chiefs."

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/When-I-Was-Drafted-Rick-Upchurch/6b3df290-f1f1-4bfd-9a8c-f9a35ca3058d