PDA

View Full Version : Montee Ball hopes flexibility work prevents another season like 2014

Denver Native (Carol)
04-21-2015, 05:37 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- In many ways, the 2014 season was a lost one for Montee Ball.

Yes, the second-year running back was the season-opening starter, and his starts in Weeks 1-5 were the first of his career. But from the moment he felt sharp pains in his lower right abdomen on Aug. 3 that led to an appendectomy a day later, his year went off the tracks.

He returned, but groin soreness set in during the Week 1 win over Indianapolis. By the third quarter of the Week 5 win over Arizona, he was out and would miss all but one game the rest of the season.

"Yeah. It was all just downhill from my appendectomy," Ball said. "But I believe everything happens for a reason. Mentally I'm a lot stronger this season, physically, as well, with upper-body strength. I think my flexibility from the offseason is going to really show, and keep me from getting hurt."

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Montee-Ball-hopes-flexibility-work-prevents-another-season-like-2014/74df26b4-711e-4feb-9d6c-dd901ca99ee3

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-21-2015, 05:49 PM
I hope he has a good year. He's a really likeable kid.

GEM
04-22-2015, 10:41 AM
One thing Knowshon Moreno taught me....don't get too hung up on disliking a player, they just might surprise ya. He's not my favorite, but hope it works out for him.

SR
04-22-2015, 10:45 AM
One thing Knowshon Moreno taught me....don't get too hung up on disliking a player, they just might surprise ya. He's not my favorite, but hope it works out for him.

I wish Knowshon was still in Denver.

Bronco4ever
04-22-2015, 10:56 AM
Like most people, I've jumped aboard the CJ Anderson train, but I do hope Ball comes back strong and has a good season. He showed a lot of promise his rookie year.

Buff
04-22-2015, 11:15 AM
I like the idea that Anderson's success has basically removed all expectations from Ball. He might surprise everyone now that he's not being expected to be the workhorse.

I thought Ball looked like a great Moreno replacement two seasons ago - then he just looked like he was a step too slow last year. He wasn't hitting the holes fast enough, not cutting fast enough, not making guys miss. I hope that was all a product of injury and he comes back strong this year - he had a lot of success with the ZBS in college.

underrated29
04-22-2015, 12:14 PM
I cant wait for Ball this year. I love my man CJ too, but I think Ball may beat him out for the starting Job. If not, thats ok because CJ is a freaking Hoss and a half!
Gase gone, plus a new OL, + ZBS which Montee destroyed in, leaves me to believe that people are going to sleep on ball.... and I will be able to nab him late in FF.

I have been watching all of the old games of Montee and CJ. Man we have some good RBs guys. We really do. To me Ball fits the ZBS better, but CJ is faster and shiftier. What I dont want to see is a thing like Cleveland with Crowell and the other guy splitting series. Let one guy win the job out right and bring in the other for a good rest, then get back to the pounding.

Northman
04-22-2015, 12:33 PM
Love CJ, came out of nowhere and brings it every game. But it wont hurt my feelings if Juwan and Montee also contribute more this coming year. Having 3 quality backs never hurts your team.

Bronco4ever
04-22-2015, 12:54 PM
Love CJ, came out of nowhere and brings it every game. But it wont hurt my feelings if Juwan and Montee also contribute more this coming year. Having 3 quality backs never hurts your team.

I love CJ too, but it does seem like he gets nicked up a lot. You never know when it will have to be next man up.

SR
04-22-2015, 01:09 PM
I love CJ too, but it does seem like he gets nicked up a lot. You never know when it will have to be next man up.

Because he runs like he's trying to hurt people

BroncoJoe
04-22-2015, 01:09 PM
Am I missing/forgetting something? I don't remember CJ missing time due to injury.

Northman
04-22-2015, 01:24 PM
I think CJ was banged up the years previously when he was still a backup.

SR
04-22-2015, 02:12 PM
I think CJ was banged up the years previously when he was still a backup.

The one year.

SR
04-22-2015, 02:13 PM
Am I missing/forgetting something? I don't remember CJ missing time due to injury.

He tweaked his ankle last year but powered through it. He did have to come off the field and did miss some game time but he's a warrior so NBD.

Traveler
04-22-2015, 02:39 PM
I still have hopes that Ball can become the type of back he was in college.

OT- Knowing we have decent depth at the RB position, how upset would everyone be if Denver selected Melvin Gordon in the 1st round? The caveat being, all the projected 1st round OL, DL, and ILB and prospects linked to have been selected.

tomjonesrocks
04-22-2015, 02:41 PM
Lot of positive vibes here -- nowhere to go but up really.

Ball one of the league's biggest disappointments last season. Zero expectations is right.

broncofaninfla
04-22-2015, 02:48 PM
I can see the balance of power swinging to Anderson and Thompson over Ball and Hillman this season. The good thing is we have a lot of depth at the position, any of these guys could emerge as the starter by week #1.

DenBronx
04-22-2015, 04:16 PM

I wish Knowshon was still in Denver.

Yeah me too. He was great with Manning!

Bronco4ever
04-22-2015, 04:59 PM

He had the concussion in preseason (not much you can do about that). But it seemed like there was some other times he tweaked something and I thought he might be out and ended up coming back in. I'm not necessarily saying he's injury prone, but just that the hits do take a toll on him.

TXBRONC
04-22-2015, 06:06 PM
No thanks to Moreno. He was a good back but I think Anderson is a better. As far Ball is concerned I wouldn't I count him out. I sure wouldn't put Thompson ahead of him just yet. Given Ball's back ground I would say he has the edge over Thompson.

GEM
04-22-2015, 06:48 PM
Traveler....no thanks to a RB in the first round. Too many holes to fill and too many good RB's on the roster. 1st rounders just don't seem to pan out very well unless their name is Adrian Peterson. :lol:

dogfish
04-22-2015, 08:17 PM
ball's a better player than he showed last year, but CJ just seems to have a little more bounce in his step. . . and i still think thompson might be just as good as either of them. . . said it before, we have a nice stable here for kubes to run the ZBS with. . . no point talking about gordon, trav-- we're set at RB, with holes all over the rest of the roster. . .

OrangeFanatic
04-23-2015, 01:24 AM
Yeah me too. He was great with Manning!

Don't me wrong I like how no-show turned it around, and I loved him towards the end. However, that guy is just one play away from a season ending injury. I guess in the end he turned back into no-show, just in a different way.

ShaneFalco
04-23-2015, 01:27 AM
i am so over ball.

tomjonesrocks
04-23-2015, 06:07 AM
i am so over ball.

Where I'm at too really. He's been a player that just completely hasn't met expectations and Denver missed out on Lacy to get him.

Would be open to moving him for minimal compensation really.

underrated29
04-23-2015, 10:56 AM
You guys are ridiculous. CJ has not shown anymore than ball has. Both had amazing runs the last 6 and 8 weeks respectively of their first years getting the rock.

The year before ball had like a 6+ ypc and was the NFL leader in yards for those final 6 games or so.
Last year CJ had like 5+ ypc and was 2nd only to Jamal Charles those final 8 games or so.
Both were stellar!

They both have proven two things. When healthy they can both run, when not, they don't do well.

Let it also be noted that CJ played with an Entirely new blocking scheme, an entirely re-shuffled Oline, an extra T in on the run plays and Virgil Green and NO Julius awesome sauce blocking Thomas. Ball had none of those luxuries.

Ball has shown more than every other RB on this team aside from CJ, and it is not even close. Not remotely close. Elway and griese close. TD and Quentin griffin close. Rod smith and Darius watts close.

BroncoJoe
04-23-2015, 12:55 PM
You guys are ridiculous. CJ has not shown anymore than ball has. Both had amazing runs the last 6 and 8 weeks respectively of their first years getting the rock.

The year before ball had like a 6+ ypc and was the NFL leader in yards for those final 6 games or so.
Last year CJ had like 5+ ypc and was 2nd only to Jamal Charles those final 8 games or so.
Both were stellar!

They both have proven two things. When healthy they can both run, when not, they don't do well.

Let it also be noted that CJ played with an Entirely new blocking scheme, an entirely re-shuffled Oline, an extra T in on the run plays and Virgil Green and NO Julius awesome sauce blocking Thomas. Ball had none of those luxuries.

Ball has shown more than every other RB on this team aside from CJ, and it is not even close. Not remotely close. Elway and griese close. TD and Quentin griffin close. Rod smith and Darius watts close.

You're love for Ball is going to be your downfall.

underrated29
04-23-2015, 02:27 PM
Lol. What does that mean lord vader?

I dont love ball but I recognize his talent and recognize he has shown us exactly the same as CJ has. (OK, maybe I do love ball. I love lamp too)

Injuries aside I will bet anyone that ball is #1 or #2 on this team at RB. Considering some want ball gone for nothing, or hillman or Juwann to play over ball I think that should be a pretty enticing bet.

Northman
04-23-2015, 02:29 PM
I know its a good bet that UR likes balls across his chin.

:laugh:

Mike
04-23-2015, 04:11 PM
CJ runs and plays hungry. You see it every touch. I got nothing against Ball, but CJ wants it more and it was clear to see. I will be happy with whoever produces, but I like Anderson the most out of our backs.

dogfish
04-23-2015, 09:20 PM
You guys are ridiculous.

CJ is ridiculous. . . that kid's a hoss, homie. . . i like all our backs, but there's a reason kubes told CJ to walk in here like he's the starter. . .

underrated29
04-23-2015, 09:28 PM
CJ is ridiculous. . . that kid's a hoss, homie. . . i like all our backs, but there's a reason kubes told CJ to walk in here like he's the starter. . .

Damn right! My support of ball does not mean I don't like Cj or think he shouldn't be a starter. But ball will give him a run for his money and will be the #2 or #1 on our team.

Jsteve01
04-23-2015, 11:49 PM
how quickly people forget how he played in the last half of his rookie season. He was a boss. last year it was one thing after the other. The appendectomy set him back on conditioning and our horrid run blocking didn't help. If he'd had the benefit of a tow TE set and an extra o lineman he would have looked better had he really been healthy. I'm not saying he's better than cj but those who are actiing like Ball is a scrub apparently missed the last half of 2013

TXBRONC
04-24-2015, 06:55 AM
I know its a good bet that UR likes balls across his chin.

:laugh:

He's a ball washer.

underrated29
04-24-2015, 11:52 AM
He's a ball washer.

And your next big guy.
I grew out the goatee for the extra brissley feeling.

TXBRONC
04-25-2015, 10:15 AM
And your next big guy.
I grew out the goatee for the extra brissley feeling.

I don't do brissley beccause my skin is very sensitive but thanks for the offer.