PDA

View Full Version : Bradley Roby open to seeing time at free safety

Denver Native (Carol)
04-20-2015, 07:47 PM
At the league meetings March 24, Head Coach Gary Kubiak floated the notion of using cornerback Bradley Roby at safety in some situations to get him on the field more often.

The 2014 first-round pick still sees himself as a cornerback first. That's understandable, given how well he played the position as a rookie last year. But he is receptive to the idea.

"I would definitely like to play cornerback a majority of the time, but they talked to me about possibly moving to free safety at certain times in the game, and in certain packages," Roby said. "I'm open to it."

A dual role seems like a perfect match for Roby and his skill set. He first distinguished himself last summer with aggression against the run, gaining confidence by making plays in space. It would put an end to games like the one he had in St. Louis last November, where he played in 38,5 percent of the snaps because the Rams' packages kept the Broncos' base defense on the field so often. He was also limited to less than 60 percent of the snaps in losses to Cincinnati and Indianapolis.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Bradley-Roby-open-to-seeing-time-at-free-safety/f3c3819d-a5d7-40ab-86a3-e1f7408c4519

Ziggy
04-20-2015, 08:40 PM
It makes sense. If he can play free safety on base downs, it gets your best 11 on the field. On nickel downs he can line up at corner, and Stewart can come in and cover the free safety spot while a linebacker goes off. It gets Roby on the field every play along with Harris and Talib.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-20-2015, 08:45 PM
It sounds like a simple way to get him in the field more, but the concern is he becomes a jack of all trades and a master of none.

Ziggy
04-20-2015, 09:07 PM
It sounds like a simple way to get him in the field more, but the concern is he becomes a jack of all trades and a master of none.

Why? In this scenario he plays the same amount of time at corner than he would if he only played corner. The difference is, he's not sitting on the bench in base defense.

underrated29
04-20-2015, 09:52 PM
I'd rather Webster

TXBRONC
04-21-2015, 07:00 AM

Having him on the fields outweighs any negatives.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-21-2015, 09:11 AM
Why? In this scenario he plays the same amount of time at corner than he would if he only played corner. The difference is, he's not sitting on the bench in base defense.

Because he has to take snaps at both positions in practice. Hopefully my concern is ill founded.

SR
04-21-2015, 09:35 AM

There's nothing wrong with that. I've made a living of that for the last 12 years working on planes. He can do it with football.

SR
04-21-2015, 09:36 AM
I'd rather Webster

The only reason I would tend to agree here is because Webster is feisty and always seems to be looking for contact. Roby's cover skills are better though. I think Roby also reads the QB better.

dogfish
04-21-2015, 10:51 AM
some day before i die, the broncos will actually get some decent safeties who aren't forty years old, and then they won't have to do this shit. . .

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-21-2015, 10:55 AM
some day before i die, the broncos will actually get some decent safeties who aren't forty years old, and then they won't have to do this shit. . .

Ward is pretty good, but yeah, it's been a while since we've had an elite fs.

Dapper Dan
04-21-2015, 10:55 AM
Harris said he, Roby, and Webster could all play safety.

BroncoWave
04-21-2015, 11:02 AM

Jeez, some of you guys will worry about anything!

Ziggy
04-21-2015, 11:19 AM

Too young to have seen the Dennis Smith, Steve Atwater days Dog?

dogfish
04-21-2015, 11:22 AM
Too young to have seen the Dennis Smith, Steve Atwater days Dog?

only as a child, but i still miss it. . . you're right, though, should have said "again". . .

of course, it's the legacy of those guys that bums me out so much about the marquand manuel's, kennoy kennedy's and rahim moore's of the world. . .

DenBronx
04-23-2015, 10:10 AM
Bzzzzzzump...

From NBC Sports Talk for Android:

Broncos want to use Bradley Roby at safety
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/23/broncos-want-to-use-bradley-roby-at-safety/

underrated29
04-23-2015, 10:48 AM
Bzzzzzzump...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/23/broncos-want-to-use-bradley-roby-at-safety/

Old news or a smokescreen to hide our intentions of going FS early. Maybe Rowe? I'd rather take Amos or Drummond in 3 or 4

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-23-2015, 11:25 AM
I'm surprised none of you are concerned that spending half his time at fs in practice could affect his man cover skills.

DenBronx
04-23-2015, 11:36 AM
Bzzzzzzump...

Old news or a smokescreen to hide our intentions of going FS early. Maybe Rowe? I'd rather take Amos or Drummond in 3 or 4

I don't buy that it's a smokescreen at all. This guy has to be on the field.

Ziggy
04-23-2015, 12:24 PM
I'm surprised none of you are concerned that spending half his time at fs in practice could affect his man cover skills.

2 things. 1. In Wade's defense, the free safety plays a lot of man coverage on backs and tight ends. 2. Roby has been doing it since he was a kid. He runs a 4.38 40, and he's a natural cover guy. I don't think that it does anything other than get him on the field more, and make our base defense stronger.

underrated29
04-23-2015, 04:18 PM
Id rather keep him at Cb and bring in webby at FS, but they know more than we do.

DenBronx
04-23-2015, 04:48 PM
Still going to need a slot cb so depends on what happens in the draft. Elways been on record many times saying he will draft bpa so if a FS falls to us he will pull the trigger.

SR
04-23-2015, 05:02 PM
Still going to need a slot cb so depends on what happens in the draft. Elways been on record many times saying he will draft bpa so if a FS falls to us he will pull the trigger.

If Roby was at safety on three receiver sets, Webster would fill the slot.

DenBronx
04-23-2015, 05:40 PM

If Roby was at safety on three receiver sets, Webster would fill the slot.

My understanding is Roby would be FS full time, not just certain plays.

SR
04-23-2015, 05:49 PM

As said, Webster would be the nickel back.

underrated29
04-23-2015, 05:59 PM
My understanding is Roby would be FS when its 21 or 12 and when they go 3 wide he drops back to CB.

dogfish
04-23-2015, 09:12 PM

nah, read it again. . . this is correct. . .

My understanding is Roby would be FS when its 21 or 12 and when they go 3 wide he drops back to CB.

yep. . . they're talking about having roby play FS in the base defense, and then slide over to play the slot corner when we go nickel. . . presumably with stewart coming in at free safety-- or webster, or a kid from the draft, if one of them beat him out. . . just shows you how much stronger/deeper we are at corner than at safety. . .

Jsteve01
04-23-2015, 11:53 PM
I don't like the idea of him sliding back and forth. It's akin to having a guy play RT on running plays and then slide to guard on passing plays. Two totally different roles and techniques.