PDA

View Full Version : The Real Reason Cody Latimer Didn't Play Much Last Season

Ziggy
04-19-2015, 07:54 PM
The Broncos spent a second-round draft pick on wide receiver Cody Latimer last season, and they had little to show for it: Latimer ended his rookie season with two catches for 23 yards. Latimer now says he wasn’t ready for the mental side of the NFL game.

Latimer tells the Denver Post that he struggled with learning the offense, and particularly learning to adjust on the fly when Peyton Manning would change plays at the line of scrimmage.

“It took me too long to actually catch on,” Latimer said. “I was in the playbook, but I could have done even more. When I actually got it, it was too late. It was just way different [than college]. I would know the play, then Peyton would change it. Then I’d get to thinking too much and play slower.”
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/19/as-a-rookie-cody-latimer-couldnt-keep-pace-with-peyton/

Ziggy
04-19-2015, 07:55 PM
I've been as hard on Fox as anyone about not playing young guys, but it looks like this one wasn't on him.

Dapper Dan
04-19-2015, 08:56 PM
Interesting. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

OrangeHoof
04-19-2015, 09:10 PM
What it means is he had to be prepared to know the entire playbook, not just pieces of it because Manning might audible at any time to what he saw the defense was giving him.

BroncoWave
04-19-2015, 09:10 PM
"I would know the play, then Peyton would change it. Then I’d get to thinking too much and play slower.”

Interesting. Especially after certain posters have scoffed at the idea that Peyton's constant audibles have possibly confused his own offense moreso than the defense.

Dapper Dan
04-19-2015, 09:13 PM
:scoff:

Davii
04-19-2015, 09:28 PM
"I would know the play, then Peyton would change it. Then I’d get to thinking too much and play slower.”

Interesting. Especially after certain posters have scoffed at the idea that Peyton's constant audibles have possibly confused his own offense moreso than the defense.

One rookie and now he confuses his offense? Great theory you got there.

BroncoWave
04-19-2015, 09:37 PM
One rookie and now he confuses his offense? Great theory you got there.

Who knows if it was just one rookie? I saw people on here told that is was ridiculous that Peyton was confusing his own teammates. Well, it's obviously not so ridiculous in at least one case. You can also look back to the first play of the Super Bowl for another possible example.

Dapper Dan
04-19-2015, 09:39 PM
Who knows if it was just one rookie? I saw people on here told that is was ridiculous that Peyton was confusing his own teammates. Well, it's obviously not so ridiculous in at least one case. You can also look back to the first play of the Super Bowl for another possible example.

So a rookie has been slow to run the offense and a center snapped the ball too early. You don't think other teams have had the same issues? It's not the offense or the quarterback. The shit happens all the time.

BroncoWave
04-19-2015, 09:41 PM
So a rookie has been slow to run the offense and a center snapped the ball too early. You don't think other teams have had the same issues? It's not the offense or the quarterback. The shit happens all the time.

I'm not necessarily saying it's a huge problem. I just specifically remember discussions where people were told it was a ridiculous notion that Peyton could be confusing his own teammates. Just found it funny that this came up after those discussions.

Dapper Dan
04-19-2015, 09:58 PM
So peyton shouldn't change plays because it confuses a rookie.

tomjonesrocks
04-19-2015, 09:58 PM
Ugh, I wish he hadn't said he could have done more. Everything he said makes complete sense and is understandable as a first-year player.

But saying you could have done more gives bait to criticism it doesn't sound like he deserves.

BroncoWave
04-19-2015, 10:07 PM
So peyton shouldn't change plays because it confuses a rookie.

Yeah that's totally what I said.

Dapper Dan
04-19-2015, 10:12 PM
Yeah that's totally what I said.

We should cut Peyton and bring in a quarterback that doesn't audible.

Wtf is your point exactly? You're trying to find some technicality in some past argument you had, while still not having a point. It's like saying it was cold today so there must be global cooling.

DenBronx
04-19-2015, 11:30 PM
So why did Sanders, DT, Decker, Welker and JT catch on right away? They all played with Manning for the first time too. I know they weren't rookies but football is football. Maybe Cody didn't have his head in the playbook enough. When a QB audibles you should know they damn play. This is the NFL, not high school.

tomjonesrocks
04-19-2015, 11:35 PM
So why did Sanders, DT, Decker, Welker and JT catch on right away? They all played with Manning for the first time too. I know they weren't rookies but football is football. Maybe Cody didn't have his head in the playbook enough. When a QB audibles you should know they damn play. This is the NFL, not high school.

Case in point.

You ever hear rookies speak of getting used to the speed of the game and all that. Then your QB is PFM.

I'll wait a little longer before going to that.

Simple Jaded
04-19-2015, 11:40 PM
I think it's fair to say that Mannings offense has had adverse side affects on his own offense at times, not just on rookies. The running game is the main victim, imo.

On the 10th play of an 8:00 no-huddle drive, maybe sometimes it's best to just hike the ******* ball after the first audible.

OrangeHoof
04-20-2015, 12:14 AM
We should cut Peyton and bring in a quarterback that doesn't audible.

That's what Kubiak did to Matt Schaub.

Jsteve01
04-20-2015, 12:28 AM
I think it's fair to say that Mannings offense has had adverse side affects on his own offense at times, not just on rookies. The running game is the main victim, imo.

On the 10th play of an 8:00 no-huddle drive, maybe sometimes it's best to just hike the ******* ball after the first audible. thank you. The pedal to the metal concept goes out d window when u use the entire clock audibling. Remember after the Broncos lost to the Pats a few years ago and everyone in dove valley was referencing the speed with which the Patriots played. we were never able to mimic that offense because we were going through all kinds of audibles at the line of scrimmage every freaking play

MOtorboat
04-20-2015, 01:30 AM
Audibles: Bad.

#hottakes

Davii
04-20-2015, 01:45 AM
This is truly a ridiculous argument.

Valar Morghulis
04-20-2015, 02:15 AM
thank you. The pedal to the metal concept goes out d window when u use the entire clock audibling. Remember after the Broncos lost to the Pats a few years ago and everyone in dove valley was referencing the speed with which the Patriots played. we were never able to mimic that offense because we were going through all kinds of audibles at the line of scrimmage every freaking play

I remember that game - it was like Brady was using one word to call the play and the snap count - i think it was Ridley, who just kept picking up yards through the middle

I love the no huddle, and sometimes we do need to just get up to the line of scrimmage and make a play - but the hurry up/slow down also has a role as well - it stops substitutions, but still gives players a rest - but yes, i agree, it was used frustratingly often.

TXBRONC
04-20-2015, 06:29 AM

Decker, Sanders, Welker and D. Thomas were not rookies. You can't tell me J. Thomas caught right away when the fact is he spent most of his rookie season sidelined with an injury. Besides that he had two veteran tight ends in front him and more than likely wasn't going to see much of the field anyway.

Tned
04-20-2015, 07:36 AM
This is truly a ridiculous argument.

Yea, no question Manning makes an offense horrible and confusing:

How did the 2013 offense stack up in NFL history:

2nd most yards per game
2nd most points per game
2nd most first downs
PFM - Single season TD record
1st (Tied - first time in 44 years) 50 point games (3) in a season

BroncoWave
04-20-2015, 08:15 AM
Not one is saying he should never audible again. Jesus Christ some of you are good at taking a point then absolutely stretching to the most extreme way it could be comprehended.

They only point being made is that maybe sometimes his audibles can have an adverse effect on the offense. That's not to say he should never audible again, just that doing it does come width some negatives to go along with the positives.

BeefStew25
04-20-2015, 09:08 AM
We just need time for him to jell.

Simple Jaded
04-21-2015, 11:45 PM
On second thought, maybe the pace and uncertainty inherent in this offense just a big enough challenge. I suggest audiblizing strictly in Icelandic slang.

Northman
04-22-2015, 09:14 AM

Calling audibles really isnt anything new, even Elway did that a lot. I dont think because a rookie had issues with it meant the entire team was confused.

Buff
04-22-2015, 09:46 AM
Great, we drafted a stoopid WR.

GEM
04-22-2015, 09:48 AM
Maybe the rookie just isn't very smart...:tape:

drewloc
04-22-2015, 10:12 AM
Maybe the rookie just isn't very smart...:tape:

To be fair, there aren't many 22-23 year olds that I would include in the brilliant category. :lol:

BroncoWave
04-22-2015, 10:40 AM
Calling audibles really isnt anything new, even Elway did that a lot. I dont think because a rookie had issues with it meant the entire team was confused.

Again, I'm not saying calling audibles is a bad thing. Just that it's a possibility that maybe he can get a little carried away with it at times and that it might not always be the best option.

GEM
04-22-2015, 10:42 AM
To be fair, there aren't many 22-23 year olds that I would include in the brilliant category. :lol:

Hopefully this is his year and he comes into his own.

Timmy!
04-22-2015, 10:56 AM
Really? A ******* thread arguing about audibles just because our own rookie receiver basically admitted to being a slow at understanding the playbook? Well hell, we better pray Peyton doesn't even think of audibling this year, everybody has a new playbook, not just an unprepared rookie. The consequences could be catastrophic.

Buff
04-22-2015, 11:04 AM
Really? A ******* thread arguing about audibles just because our own rookie receiver basically admitted to being a slow at understanding the playbook? Well hell, we better pray Peyton doesn't even think of audibling this year, everybody has a new playbook, not just an unprepared rookie. The consequences could be catastrophic.

In fairness, this isn't a new concept and it's not really all that ridiculous. Schlereth talked about it last year, NTL made a thread about it "Is our biggest strength also our greatest weakness" or something to that effect, we've been over this at length.

There is probably some logic to the idea that not every offensive player has the encyclopedia-like football knowledge that Peyton has. At some point, changing the play 3 times before every play starts to take away the rhythm from the offense, and starts to put our offensive linemen on their heels.

The idea isn't that audibling is bad, but that at some point you reach the point of diminishing returns and you still need to physically beat the other team and not just try to outsmart them on every down.

I think that Latimer's problems are more the result of being an unprepared and immature rookie more than our overly complex offense. But that doesn't mean there isn't some validity to the idea that simplifying might help us in some instances.

Northman
04-22-2015, 11:25 AM
Again, I'm not saying calling audibles is a bad thing. Just that it's a possibility that maybe he can get a little carried away with it at times and that it might not always be the best option.

Ok, that makes more sense. So i think what you actually mean is if an audible is called it may not always work because of how the other team is defending it. This i agree with, it just seemed you were trying to imply the team was confused by it which i wouldnt agree with. Throughout the season those type of plays work 85% of the time and the team works on those kinds of things before and during the season so i dont think there should be any confusion there. With Latimer it makes sense because he is a rookie and getting used to it.

underrated29
04-22-2015, 12:07 PM
hmmmmm.....

I read the article that Carol posted last year where they interviewed Adam Gase. Gase said that Manning only audibles about 20% of the time. The other 80% or so he calls the play as Gase had intended.

I do not see how this hamstrings the offense. It means that Cody is either a moron who cant handle 20% of plays being changed or he is taking more of the blame for his lack of PT than is actually warranted.

Once again, 20% of the time we audibled....If we run 60 plays a game..That is 12 plays that have been changed.

3 a quarter.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-22-2015, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't read into it too much. People have different learning styles. It's not uncommon for rookies to struggle with thinking too much. I'm confident things will speed up for him.

BroncoWave
04-22-2015, 01:53 PM
In fairness, this isn't a new concept and it's not really all that ridiculous. Schlereth talked about it last year, NTL made a thread about it "Is our biggest strength also our greatest weakness" or something to that effect, we've been over this at length.

There is probably some logic to the idea that not every offensive player has the encyclopedia-like football knowledge that Peyton has. At some point, changing the play 3 times before every play starts to take away the rhythm from the offense, and starts to put our offensive linemen on their heels.

The idea isn't that audibling is bad, but that at some point you reach the point of diminishing returns and you still need to physically beat the other team and not just try to outsmart them on every down.

I think that Latimer's problems are more the result of being an unprepared and immature rookie more than our overly complex offense. But that doesn't mean there isn't some validity to the idea that simplifying might help us in some instances.

Very well put. This pretty much sums up the point I was trying to get at.

BroncoWave
04-22-2015, 01:59 PM
hmmmmm.....

I read the article that Carol posted last year where they interviewed Adam Gase. Gase said that Manning only audibles about 20% of the time. The other 80% or so he calls the play as Gase had intended.

I do not see how this hamstrings the offense. It means that Cody is either a moron who cant handle 20% of plays being changed or he is taking more of the blame for his lack of PT than is actually warranted.

Once again, 20% of the time we audibled....If we run 60 plays a game..That is 12 plays that have been changed.

3 a quarter.

Well he definitely pretends to audible way more than that. Sometimes I think it would be better to just go up and snap the ball and keep the offense in rhythm than to waste the whole play clock to just run the same play the coaches called anyway. Especially against smart defenses like Seattle that just don't fall for it.

BroncoJoe
04-22-2015, 02:01 PM
I am curious why we go no huddle, then (on most occasions) don't snap the ball until there's only 1-3 seconds left on the play clock. His antics at the LOS bothered me while he was a Colt, and still do today.

Northman
04-22-2015, 02:17 PM
I am curious why we go no huddle, then (on most occasions) don't snap the ball until there's only 1-3 seconds left on the play clock. His antics at the LOS bothered me while he was a Colt, and still do today.

Some has to do with the defensive adjustments and some has to do with Peyton seeing something that makes him want to audible out of it or a combination of both.

BroncoWave
04-22-2015, 02:24 PM
Some has to do with the defensive adjustments and some has to do with Peyton seeing something that makes him want to audible out of it or a combination of both.

Yeah but if we are only audibling 20% of the time, then that means most of his pre snap antics aren't even doing anything. It just seems to me like it would be more effective in those cases to just keep the offense in rhythm instead of trying too hard to confuse the defense.

Valar Morghulis
04-22-2015, 02:31 PM
Yeah but if we are only audibling 20% of the time, then that means most of his pre snap antics aren't even doing anything. It just seems to me like it would be more effective in those cases to just keep the offense in rhythm instead of trying too hard to confuse the defense.

I know what you are saying but 2013 and peytons career stats disagree

BroncoWave
04-22-2015, 02:35 PM

Who is to say that his pre snap antics are why his stats are so good though? Maybe they would have been just as good without them.

Northman
04-22-2015, 02:41 PM

My guess is Manning is trying to keep the defenses guessing even if we dont audible out of any plays. Different teams approach their offenses in different ways. Manning is a QB who has notoriously used the pre-snap audibles to have a pretty successful career. Because of Manning's success i would be hard fought to argue or disagree with how he operates an offense. For me, a lot of the problems are elsewhere and have nothing to do with the audible calls or lack there of. Maybe some of that changes that Kubes implements this year with more running may change some of that i dont know. Football at times is a chess match and Manning generally likes to see what the defense is going to do when they themselves audible out of a formation. Its just how he is as a QB. Dunno know what to tell you.

Northman
04-22-2015, 02:43 PM
Who is to say that his pre snap antics are why his stats are so good though? Maybe they would have been just as good without them.

That would be just speculation on your part though mate. I have never heard of the team losing chemistry or rhythm from anyone outside of this forum when it comes to Manning's audibles.

BroncoWave
04-22-2015, 02:59 PM
I just remember in the Super Bowl, Seattle was not confused at all with his antics. They just stayed in their defense every play and it worked. In games like that, it might be better to just dump the antics and play football.

Valar Morghulis
04-22-2015, 03:01 PM
I just remember in the Super Bowl, Seattle was not confused at all with his antics. They just stayed in their defense every play and it worked. In games like that, it might be better to just dump the antics and play football.

I agree there is a time and a place, but in general I think the sheriff gets it right

Northman
04-22-2015, 03:08 PM

Sure, we were outcoached and outplayed in that game and even in some others over the years. It happens. But we cant forget to remember the good games we have played using those methods either.

underrated29
04-22-2015, 03:13 PM

See I wished he would have audibled more. A lot more!- in the Sea game (either of them) out of the 11th bubble screen and maybe to a quick slant or a slugo or anything. Sadly, bubble screens we played.

Valar Morghulis
04-22-2015, 03:14 PM
See I wished he would have audibled more. A lot more!- in the Sea game (either of them) out of the 11th bubble screen and maybe to a quick slant or a slugo or anything. Sadly, bubble screens we played.

Hahaha

underrated29
04-22-2015, 03:19 PM
Hahaha

The sad part is its true:sad:

BroncoWave
04-22-2015, 03:25 PM
Hey ur how did you feel about our playcalling in the Super Bowl? I'm unclear. :lol:

Valar Morghulis
04-22-2015, 03:28 PM
I was awesome for setting a completion record for peyton and a catches record for DT - not so great at gaining any yardage!

BroncoJoe
04-22-2015, 03:48 PM

1 SB win. Just sayin....

All I know is Brady has several (4?) championships. Their no-huddle/hurry up offense has spanked the shit out of us.

I love Manning - arguably one of the best players ever to play and I'm glad he's a Bronco. But, I was never thrilled or overjoyed when he came here.

Northman
04-22-2015, 04:00 PM
1 SB win. Just sayin....

All I know is Brady has several (4?) championships. Their no-huddle/hurry up offense has spanked the shit out of us.

I love Manning - arguably one of the best players ever to play and I'm glad he's a Bronco. But, I was never thrilled or overjoyed when he came here.

To be fair, their HC is much better than anyone than we have had in some time. I do think Brady is better than Manning even though both are real good. I personally loved it that Manning came to Denver but never understood it just based upon the youth we had at the time. Considering where we were under McDaniels i would gladly take and accept the last 3 years even with the SB disappointment. I (as well as you) endured 3 miserable SB losses under Elway so while recent history has not been the best it could be a lot lot worse. IMO

Valar Morghulis
04-22-2015, 04:01 PM
1 SB win. Just sayin....

I get what your saying, but refute the one super bowl win as supporting evidence.

If elway retired at 36 it would not have meant his style was ineffective because he never won a super bowl.

Manning has failings, but I do not hold his super bowl record against him.

In his career he has averaged a super bowl or afccg every 3/4 years - even without all his individual records, that is a good record to support the efficacy of his approach.

BroncoJoe
04-22-2015, 04:13 PM
I get what your saying, but refute the one super bowl win as supporting evidence.

If elway retired at 36 it would not have meant his style was ineffective because he never won a super bowl.

Manning has failings, but I do not hold his super bowl record against him.

In his career he has averaged a super bowl or afccg every 3/4 years - even without all his individual records, that is a good record to support the efficacy of his approach.

But Elway didn't retire at 36, and won two championships. That's kind of like saying if Joe Montana lost his leg, he never would have won so many Superbowls.

Manning isn't Elway. I rarely felt we were out of a game with Elway. Dude was MONEY, and I don't know of another QB (other than maybe Brady) that could will a team to a win. Can't say the same for Peyton. Don't get me wrong - Manning is a 1st ballot HOF'er, and well deserved. I still would rather we had built a team around young talent, and potentially struggled through a couple years without high expectations. Take a look at our division - we most likely would have won the division title with Brock or someone else during the past few years. AND, been grooming our future at the same time.

Let's be honest: The second Manning was signed, the goal was a championship. They haven't achieved that, and I don't think we'll do it this year either (although I really hope I'm wrong).

I didn't like the Manning signing, and wish he would have retired at the end of last year. I know it's not popular, but it's my opinion.

nevcraw
04-22-2015, 09:40 PM
Breaking news - rookie finds playbook hard. bring on the next offseason fluff article. 'Von Miller once struggled with athletes foot'

dogfish
04-22-2015, 10:47 PM
hmmmmm.....

I read the article that Carol posted last year where they interviewed Adam Gase. Gase said that Manning only audibles about 20% of the time.

and if that's what gase told the media, naturally it means that hmanning ACTUALLY audibles 80% of the time. . . geez man, i thought you were a secret agent and shit. . . don't believe everything you read. . .

as to the rest of the thread. . . manning's not the best of all time at pre-snap reads by accident-- he does that stuff for a reason, and it's not just theatrics or subterfuge. . . besides, if the offense goes faster, people will complain that they leave the defense on the field too long, and "manning's style doesn't lend itself to good complementary football," or some such crap. . .

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-23-2015, 12:21 AM
and if that's what gase told the media, naturally it means that hmanning ACTUALLY audibles 80% of the time. . . geez man, i thought you were a secret agent and shit. . . don't believe everything you read. . .

as to the rest of the thread. . . manning's not the best of all time at pre-snap reads by accident-- he does that stuff for a reason, and it's not just theatrics or subterfuge. . . besides, if the offense goes faster, people will complain that they leave the defense on the field too long, and "manning's style doesn't lend itself to good complementary football," or some such crap. . .

I know right? Winning 13 games a year is so overrated.

BroncoWave
04-23-2015, 04:53 AM
I know right? Winning 13 games a year is so overrated.
Can we please stop it with this bullshit? Like, if this is the best response you can come up with to the discussion just don't even bother. Using this logic, no one can ever be allowed to have even the slightest criticism of anything because, hey, we win 13 games a year. Just please get out of here with that weaksauce.

Valar Morghulis
04-23-2015, 05:38 AM
Can we please stop it with this bullshit? Like, if this is the best response you can come up with to the discussion just don't even bother. Using this logic, no one can ever be allowed to have even the slightest criticism of anything because, hey, we win 13 games a year. Just please get out of here with that weaksauce.

I hear ya, but the criticism should be proportionate to the performance, wait till we go through a few down years, how we will view this era with rose tinted glasses

BroncoWave
04-23-2015, 06:13 AM
I hear ya, but the criticism should be proportionate to the performance, wait till we go through a few down years, how we will view this era with rose tinted glasses

I mean, if any criticism at all is gonna be met with "Yeah but we won 13 games" then we might as well either shut down Broncos talk or just make it a positive only forum. It's just a weak response. Like yeah, we all know what the Broncos record has been the last few years. It's not exactly breaking news or adding to the discussion in any way.

SoCalImport
04-23-2015, 06:39 AM
Honestly if we didn't have complaints even when were winning these forums would be really boring. So keep up the great work folks ;)

Northman
04-23-2015, 06:47 AM
I dont mind the point of view but i do think its a misguided and i disagree with it. I think the fact that Manning has been successful using that method over his career has proven that. But people can believe what they want to believe, i just happen to disagree entirely.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-23-2015, 09:15 AM

I think it's fair. It sounds as though you think we'd have been better off without Manning running the no huddle the last 3 years, or am I mistaken?

BroncoWave
04-23-2015, 09:27 AM
I think it's fair. It sounds as though you think we'd have been better off without Manning running the no huddle the last 3 years, or am I mistaken?

Am I typing in French in this thread or something? I don't know how much more clear I can make myself that all I'm saying is that maybe using the pre snap antics to the extent he does might not always be the most effective strategy, and that maybe he could just be a little more selective in how he does it. I have never once suggested he overhaul the way he runs the offense.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-23-2015, 09:32 AM
Fair enough, but just to be clear, my original comment wasn't specifically directed at you. I haven't read every post in this thread. I only responded to you because you quoted me in a rather excited state, lol.

Northman
04-23-2015, 09:33 AM
Am I typing in French in this thread or something? I don't know how much more clear I can make myself that all I'm saying is that maybe using the pre snap antics to the extent he does might not always be the most effective strategy, and that maybe he could just be a little more selective in how he does it. I have never once suggested he overhaul the way he runs the offense.

I didnt understand what you were saying there Wave, can you explain it again?

Lol JK, just trolling you now.

BroncoWave
04-23-2015, 09:39 AM
Fair enough, but just to be clear, my original comment wasn't specifically directed at you. I haven't read every post in this thread. I only responded to you because you quoted me in a rather excited state, lol.

Lol fair enough! Sometimes I just wonder if I really suck at explaining things. :lol:

Simple Jaded
04-25-2015, 12:13 AM
Manning only audibles more than TWICE 20% of the time, Gase was mistaken.

Ravage!!!
04-25-2015, 09:42 AM

Was he confusing the players on the field? They aren't on the field fif they are getting confused. Considering he broke the NFL record for TD passes the year before last, and was NFL MVP...again... I find it hard to believe that his offense and his audibles are "confusing" his teammates. The ones that its confusing, are the ones that can't get on the field.

That first play in the Super Bowl is something you point to as "confusion?" Its a pretty "out there" theory that holds pretty much no water. Latimer was a rookie that didn't pick up the playbook. It goes about as far as that.

BroncoWave
04-25-2015, 10:03 AM
Was he confusing the players on the field? They aren't on the field fif they are getting confused. Considering he broke the NFL record for TD passes the year before last, and was NFL MVP...again... I find it hard to believe that his offense and his audibles are "confusing" his teammates. The ones that its confusing, are the ones that can't get on the field.

That first play in the Super Bowl is something you point to as "confusion?" Its a pretty "out there" theory that holds pretty much no water. Latimer was a rookie that didn't pick up the playbook. It goes about as far as that.

Ok.

Timmy!
04-25-2015, 02:06 PM
:lol:

:pop2:

Jsteve01
04-25-2015, 11:50 PM
Listen it doesnt mean we are haters to point out what has already been well documented. Sometimes you just have to line up and run your shit. My point was that although the 2013 offense was one of the best of all times, they got stonewalled on the biggest stage because we couldnt just run our stuff. And although we got a ton of yardage and points, the pedal to the metal analogy was often a misnomer because we would use the entire playclock audibling.

Look the goal was and is championships and with 10 prowbowlers on the roster you hope to win more than 2 playoff games in 3 years and have two embarassing losses at home.

VonDoom
05-13-2015, 11:38 AM
I'm bumping this thread with an A/P article on Latimer. It talks about many of the same things as in the initial post, but I thought there were some interesting quotes in there from him. Hopefully he can get it together this year. That was a tremendous WR class and if the guy we traded up to get can't cut it, that will be a major disappointment:

Looking back, Latimer said he just didn't prepare properly for the pros and tried too hard to please Peyton Manning.

"I've got to accept the fact I messed up," Latimer said. "I wasn't on my Ps and Qs. I can't let that happen again. It's like when you touch a hot stove when you're a little kid. I'm not going to do that again."

Latimer would regularly wow everyone as a member of the scout team. But he couldn't translate that into games because he couldn't always decipher Manning's many changes in the play call at the line.

When the season was over, Latimer hit the playbook, the game film, the weight room and the football field with a renewed vigor.

The results are a more chiseled physique, more confidence, and, he insists, a better brain for the game.

"I'm more mentally into it this year," Latimer said. "I go home and study a lot now. I spend extra time with coaches after practice. In meeting rooms, actually paying attention. Last year, just a mess-up on my part. But this year, I'm making sure I don't have that same downfall."

The rest: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/077ac5647c784f0794094e118570f0bb/cody-latimer-says-he-learned-his-lesson-feeble-2014
H/T to Thin Air for posting this article or I might never have seen it.

Cugel
05-13-2015, 06:41 PM
Interesting. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

It happens all the time. Normally the player simply doesn't admit it. This falls into the "Captain Obvious" category. It's almost impossible for a WR to come into the league and make an immediate impact year one. Even top 10 pick WRs don't normally do that.

There are certain positions where you can expect a player to come in and compete to start right away (ex: RB) but WR is not one of those positions, for exactly the same reason he stated. Learning the playbook is one thing, but NFL QBs audible a lot at the line, and Peyton does it more than most.

It's exactly like he said: this ain't college kid.

Dzone
05-13-2015, 07:09 PM
This proves looks can be deceiving. I thought Latimer looked pretty smart.

tomjonesrocks
05-13-2015, 07:14 PM

Actually I'm encouraged by his comments. It's an honest and humble admission. Probably not that fun to admit.

Still don't know anything about if he'll be good but he didn't blame everyone else or make diva WR comments, that's for sure.

DenBronx
05-13-2015, 08:02 PM
Hey, I give him credit for being honest about it.

The problem is and there's guys on this board even that said Welker couldn't pick up this offense, is that this is a complete new offense. It won't be easier than last year for him but if he puts in the time to learn and it actually clicks then I think Cody will soon be a threat in the offense. He just has to get it mentally and he will be fine.

VonDoom
05-13-2015, 10:07 PM
Actually I'm encouraged by his comments. It's an honest and humble admission. Probably not that fun to admit.

Still don't know anything about if he'll be good but he didn't blame everyone else or make diva WR comments, that's for sure.

Agreed. He could have just said that he's going to do better this year. Putting out his flaws in the media is a tough thing to do, but it makes me think he's learned something and will be more on top of things this year.

BroncoWave
05-13-2015, 10:08 PM

Why, cuz he's white? ;)

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-13-2015, 11:34 PM
Why, cuz he's white? ;)

Latimer is not white. He's black, or at the very least half black.

underrated29
05-13-2015, 11:42 PM
:lol:

He was playin I think Al

BroncoJoe
05-15-2015, 01:57 PM
It happens all the time. Normally the player simply doesn't admit it. This falls into the "Captain Obvious" category. It's almost impossible for a WR to come into the league and make an immediate impact year one. Even top 10 pick WRs don't normally do that.

There are certain positions where you can expect a player to come in and compete to start right away (ex: RB) but WR is not one of those positions, for exactly the same reason he stated. Learning the playbook is one thing, but NFL QBs audible a lot at the line, and Peyton does it more than most.

It's exactly like he said: this ain't college kid.

Do you even watch football?

Jesus. Why do I even read your idiotic posts.

MOtorboat
05-15-2015, 02:04 PM
Do you even watch football?

Jesus. Why do I even read your idiotic posts.

It's a pretty absurd statement.

20 of the 30 receivers drafted last year played in 10 games or more and seven started in 10 games or more. Odell Beckham led the league in yards per game and was a top 10 receiver in almost every receiving category.

dogfish
05-15-2015, 02:28 PM
It's a pretty absurd statement.

20 of the 30 receivers drafted last year played in 10 games or more and seven started in 10 games or more. Odell Beckham led the league in yards per game and was a top 10 receiver in almost every receiving category.

the statement was true ten years ago. . . cug is just out of date. . . between the enforcement of the five-yard chuck rule and the proliferation of wide open passing games in college, it's a totally different ballgame than it was a decade ago in regards to receivers making the transition. . .

conversely, we've seen it become more difficult for running backs to transition, as the NFL emphasizes pass protection from the backs so much these days, and it's something that a lot of them still aren't learning in college. . .