PDA

View Full Version : Reasonably priced gaming/graphics computer

BroncoJoe
04-16-2015, 02:35 PM
There's a lot of people here in the technology industry, and here's what I'm looking for:

My son needs an upgraded desktop (I'd consider a laptop as well, but prefer a desktop) for limited gaming and animation.

He likes Minecraft, and would like to record some of his actions and worlds to post on YouTube. He is also getting into animation, and uses Adobe Flash with a drawing pad. His current desktop is slow - don't even want to post the specs on it, but we're looking at upgrading for a reasonable price.

I haven't kept up with all the different processors and video cards. i3, i5, i7, dual/quad core. AMD vs. Intel? I'm assuming a video card that isn't onboard, etc.

Help/suggestions appreciated. I don't want to build one, but would consider.

Rex
04-16-2015, 02:47 PM
My suggestion:

Walk out to your garage. Start the engine of your LIberty. Put a brick on the accelerator and the brake. Tie a rope around the brick on the brake. Put it in reverse. Run around back of the vehicle and put your head under the tire. Pull the rope.

BeefStew25
04-16-2015, 02:51 PM
I have tears running down my face.

BroncoJoe
04-16-2015, 02:53 PM
My suggestion:

Walk out to your garage. Start the engine of your LIberty. Put a brick on the accelerator and the brake. Tie a rope around the brick on the brake. Put it in reverse. Run around back of the vehicle and put your head under the tire. Pull the rope.

Hi Rex,

Your trolling is ineffective. How about this: Next time you go fishing, tie a few bricks to your feet. Then, put a hook through the foreskin of your penis, anchor your SpongeBob SquarePants fishing pole to the hull of the boat and jump overboard.

Wait. That won't work because you have a vagina. Guess you could do the above with your vulva.

Rex
04-16-2015, 02:54 PM
Hi Rex,

Your trolling is ineffective. How about this: Next time you go fishing, tie a few bricks to your feet. Then, put a hook through the foreskin of your penis, anchor your SpongeBob SquarePants fishing pole to the hull of the boat and jump overboard.

Wait. That won't work because you have a vagina. Guess you could do the above with your vulva.

You need so much work on your game. This is sad Joe. That kinda trash talk is like Jordan in a Washington Wizards uniform. This is Tony Dorsett in Denver bad brah

BroncoJoe
04-16-2015, 02:57 PM
You need so much work on your game. This is sad Joe. That kinda trash talk is like Jordan in a Washington Wizards uniform. This is Tony Dorsett in Denver bad brah

At least it's creative and original. Unlike your pathetic, worn out and boring smack.

Rex
04-16-2015, 02:58 PM
At least it's creative and original. Unlike your pathetic, worn out and boring smack.

Tie a brick to my cok oh wait you have a vagina is creative and original? Yeah. Tubby is a gentle generous lover and loves people of all color too.

Uh huh

BroncoJoe
04-16-2015, 03:01 PM
Tie a brick to my cok oh wait you have a vagina is creative and original? Yeah. Tubby is a gentle generous lover and loves people of all color too.

Uh huh

Re-read the post, moron. It was put a fishing hook through your foreskin, then oh wait, you have a vagina. The brick was for your feet.

Geez.

BeefStew25
04-16-2015, 03:02 PM
Tubby is a selfish lover.

Rex
04-16-2015, 03:04 PM
Re-read the post, moron. It was put a fishing hook through your foreskin, then oh wait, you have a vagina. The brick was for your feet.

Geez.

Yeah. I got lost because it effing sucked Joe. It was Rahim Moore bad.

Clean up your game turtle boy

Rex
04-16-2015, 03:05 PM
Tubby is a selfish lover.

Of course he is. He is selfish at everything else.

BeefStew25
04-16-2015, 03:11 PM
He once made me a quesadilla.

chazoe60
04-16-2015, 03:12 PM
I like this thread.

BeefStew25
04-16-2015, 03:12 PM
I like this thread.

How's Texas my man.

chazoe60
04-16-2015, 03:13 PM
How's Texas my man.

It sucks, I'm sure.

BeefStew25
04-16-2015, 03:14 PM
It sucks, I'm sure.

What position did you play when you played baseball in college?

Dreadnought
04-16-2015, 03:16 PM
Yeah. I got lost because it effing sucked Joe. It was Rahim Moore bad.

Clean up your game turtle boy

It actually was better than that, Rex. Joe's mistake was in the vagina reference. It was an easy but common error, by going just that one step into excess. He should have left it at the fish hook through the foreskin. that was pretty solid.

BroncoJoe
04-16-2015, 03:17 PM
It actually was better than that, Rex. Joe's mistake was in the vagina reference. It was an easy but common error, by going just that one step into excess. He should have left it at the fish hook through the foreskin. that was pretty solid.

I went for the bleachers, and hit a grounder.

Rex
04-16-2015, 03:18 PM

I dont have foreskin you saggy balled old goat.

BroncoJoe
04-16-2015, 03:19 PM

SEE!! He does have a vagina.

BeefStew25
04-16-2015, 03:19 PM

Remember in junior high that kid that wasn't corcumcised and it got weird when everyone noticed.

Dreadnought
04-16-2015, 03:20 PM

Well neither do I, and glad of it. I bet they smell something fierce. Foreskins are mostly a newfangled Hipster thing I think. Maybe Scotsmen have them too, I can't say for sure.

Rex
04-16-2015, 03:23 PM
Remember in junior high that kid that wasn't corcumcised and it got weird when everyone noticed.

Like all the Mexicans

BeefStew25
04-16-2015, 03:23 PM
Like all the Mexicans

Not where I went. All the Catholics were cut.

ShaneFalco
04-16-2015, 03:29 PM
i could help you, but your kind of a dick.

BroncoJoe
04-16-2015, 03:34 PM
i could help you, but your kind of a dick.

I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid, so I wouldn't listen to your advice anyway. Thanks, though.

ShaneFalco
04-16-2015, 03:41 PM
yea i wouldnt listen to someone who is in the midst of graduating with his bachelors in VFX and Animation. :)

ShaneFalco
04-16-2015, 03:44 PM
but all joking aside.

What are you looking to spend. If its 1g + then dont bother with building anything and just check out alienware desktops. The area 51 is a starter build. http://www.alienware.com/Landings/desktops.aspx

They are reasonably priced for gaming / animation.

How serious is your kid in this though? I wouldnt want to spend more then 1g unless he was serious about it.

BroncoJoe
04-16-2015, 03:47 PM
yea i wouldnt listen to someone who is in the midst of graduating with his bachelors in VFX and Animation. :)

Weird! I thought they closed Ridge Home.

BroncoJoe
04-16-2015, 03:50 PM
but all joking aside.

What are you looking to spend. If its 1g + then dont bother with building anything and just check out alienware desktops. The area 51 is a starter build. http://www.alienware.com/Landings/desktops.aspx

They are reasonably priced for gaming / animation.

How serious is your kid in this though? I wouldnt want to spend more then 1g unless he was serious about it.

He's 14, so I'm not willing to spend anywhere near that much. He might change his mind down the road. I'm looking at less than $700. Preferably less than $600.

What's the difference in processors? Do you know? Is an embedded graphics card a bad way to go?

Those are the ?'s I'm interested in.

BroncoNut
04-16-2015, 03:54 PM
Joe, I read this thread and I've gotta say, I have nothing for you. good luck though

ShaneFalco
04-16-2015, 04:03 PM
He's 14, so I'm not willing to spend anywhere near that much. He might change his mind down the road. I'm looking at less than $700. Preferably less than $600.

What's the difference in processors? Do you know? Is an embedded graphics card a bad way to go?

Those are the ?'s I'm interested in. well the difference in processors only really matters if you are using a bunch of different programs at once. They are basically how fast a computer sifts through data and executes the task. i would start with the lowest (cheapest) version of the i7 processor. Embedded graphics card is not bad if you are looking for something for maybe two or 3 years. Graphics cards really only matter for programs like Maya, After Effects. And Video Games.

i have a single NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ GTX 980 with 4GB GDDR5. And thats mainly for high end visual effect programs. He probably only needs a card with 2GB. AMD or Nvidia doesnt matter.

In terms of graphic programs. The 3 big things in order are RAM, Graphic Card, processor. So i would prioritize what you spend in that order.

And if you decide to build, make sure you know your stuff about cooling. I have seen alot of friends destory their brand new processor or graphics card, by not having proper cooling distribution or the right type of box with good airflow.

Valar Morghulis
04-16-2015, 04:14 PM
I went for the bleachers, and hit a grounder.

I disagree I thought you smashed that out of the park.

It actually made me lol and I am in bed, so it really annoyed the mrs

BroncoNut
04-16-2015, 04:16 PM
I disagree I thought you smashed that out of the park.

It actually made me lol and I am in bed, so it really annoyed the mrs

maybe the Mrs. is annoyed because you are in bed at 5;00 p.m?

Valar Morghulis
04-16-2015, 04:17 PM
Well neither do I, and glad of it. I bet they smell something fierce. Foreskins are mostly a newfangled Hipster thing I think. Maybe Scotsmen have them too, I can't say for sure.

I had one. Read the old testament, got it chopped off. Carried on reading and felt incredibly cheated.

BroncoJoe
04-16-2015, 04:17 PM

He's in the UK, you idiot.

Valar Morghulis
04-16-2015, 04:18 PM

Nah - she is just annoyed because she is a menstrual maniac

BroncoNut
04-16-2015, 04:18 PM
I had one. Read the old testament, got it chopped off. Carried on reading and felt incredibly cheated.

what amazes me is that you could read at no more that 2 days old! that's incredible

BroncoNut
04-16-2015, 04:19 PM
Nah - she is just annoyed because she is a menstrual maniac

well get down there and clean that mess up!

Valar Morghulis
04-16-2015, 04:19 PM
what amazes me is that you could read at no more that 2 days old! that's incredible

Lol, I had mine intact until I was 27

BroncoJoe
04-16-2015, 04:20 PM

:shocked:

BroncoNut
04-16-2015, 04:20 PM
He's in the UK, you idiot.

oh, so people in the UK can't tell time? who's the moron?

ShaneFalco
04-16-2015, 04:21 PM
Oh and i would be bad if i didnt mention this.

When you get lower priced stuff like the lowest version of the i7 or a 2gb graphic card.

In about 4-6 years, the companies will stop updating them because technology is moving so fast and they will simply become useless to a certain point. Future games and programs will not work with older GFX cards.

I personally have to buy or upgrade my computer every 3-4 years.

Valar Morghulis
04-16-2015, 04:21 PM

Maybe in the days before I watched a baby come out of that hell hole.

BroncoNut
04-16-2015, 04:22 PM
Maybe in the days before I watched a baby come out if that hell hole.

it is a hell hole. in a lot of ways

Valar Morghulis
04-16-2015, 04:24 PM
As for the original question, I have no idea.

Maybe a PST would work?

weazel
04-16-2015, 04:32 PM
Joe when you said you would spend $700 you pretty much made the answer easy... just google "best computer for $700" and you will get quite a few great builds on different sites... that seems to be the number most people want to pay. When I used to work retail it was always $1000 but shit has become more affordable I guess.

BeefStew25
04-17-2015, 04:54 PM
I'm trying that for my next wife.

BroncoJoe
04-18-2015, 08:14 AM
4 pages, two-three descent answers. Thanks for the help, guys.

BroncoJoe
04-20-2015, 07:57 AM
Anyone heard of this company? I've pretty much decided to go with one of their standard machines, with some upgrading of the CPU and video card. They've received very high reviews on all the websites I've seen.

http://www.cybertronpc.com/play.asp?cat=gamers&cc=amdgaming

Rick
04-20-2015, 08:37 AM
I feel for you Joe, most of this thread is utter bullshit. Sorry, you had a legit question and it was spammed to shit.

Myself, I just bought a new surface pro 3 over the weekend and so far am loving it, but that really isn't for gaming. The pcs you linked there look good but I have no experience with them, sorry.

Alienware use to be a great gaming box but they were pricy, not sure how good they still are after they were bought by Dell.

BroncoNut
04-20-2015, 01:02 PM
4 pages, two-three descent answers. Thanks for the help, guys.

answers that fall huh?