PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Will Use Sanders in the Slot this Season.

WJK
04-13-2015, 03:28 PM
http://http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/13/emmanuel-sanders-to-play-in-the-slot-more-often-this-season/

"The Broncos won’t have Wes Welker back as their primary slot receiver this season, but they won’t have to look too far for someone to step into the role.

Denver kicked off their offseason conditioning schedule on Monday and Emmanuel Sanders said that he’s been informed by the team’s coaches that the plan is to have him kick inside more often when they have three wideouts on the field in 2015. The plan is for Cody Latimer, a second-round pick last season, to join Demaryius Thomas as outside receivers when they run that alignment."

As effective as Emmanuel was on the outside last year, I think he'll cause a lot of problems in the slot. Not to mention we should finally get to see what Cody Latimer has to offer with the first team offense.

weazel
04-13-2015, 03:35 PM
doesn't seem to me to be a slot type of guy but they know more than I do. Hope he doesn't get murdered out there.

dogfish
04-13-2015, 03:41 PM
doesn't seem to me to be a slot type of guy but they know more than I do. Hope he doesn't get murdered out there.

huh? he probably played slot more than out wide in pittsburgh, he's a natural fit there. . . i'm pretty sure we signed him with an eye towards playing him there after welker was done. . .

Northman
04-13-2015, 04:10 PM
Yea, not sure im following Weaz's logic either. Im guessing Sanders will have a even better year in the slot as he should be a huge mismatch for a defense's 3rd DB in coverage. He's got he speed to really do some damage there.

Buff
04-13-2015, 04:18 PM
My guess is that we aren't in 3 WR sets as often as in years past. I'd still expect to see Sanders playing outside more often than he's in the slot.

weazel
04-13-2015, 04:44 PM
I just thought he played well on the outside last season. He's also going to get smashed in the mouth a lot more in the middle than he was on the outside and he was already on the turf a few times last season. I know that's where he played in Pitt (they had a lot of depth), I just thought he looked good on the outside, he's got a lot of speed for that role.

edit** I am not saying he won't do well there, just thought he was fine on the outside.

underrated29
04-13-2015, 04:45 PM
Sanders got murdered nearly once a game last year. I think he will be fine in the slot. I love me some Manny S. Dude is a freaking tough ass boss! We likely wont be in a 3wr set all as much. I see more 2wr 2te but when we need points or hurry up or face a d we cant run on etc, we shall see the 3wr.

DenBronx
04-13-2015, 04:50 PM
We likely wont be in a 3wr set all as much. I see more 2wr 2te but when we need points or hurry up or face a d we cant run on etc, we shall see the 3wr.

Yeah big mistake and 5 steps backwards.

Also Sanders was a monster on the edge and burned people. He excelled there more than slot!

Here we go again moving people around and fixing what wasn't broken!

weazel
04-13-2015, 04:56 PM
maybe he can play offensive guard as well, need the depth.

TXBRONC
04-13-2015, 07:27 PM

He played in the slot quite a bit when he was with the Steelers.

BroncoWave
04-13-2015, 07:32 PM
He played in the slot quite a bit when he was with the Steelers.

Yes, but he didn't become a breakout star until he played on the outside. Could he be good in the slot? Probably. But I tend to agree with weazel that we might very well get the most out of his talents on the outside moreso than from the slot.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-13-2015, 08:39 PM
Emmanuel Sanders comes across as a paradox. He stands 5-foot-11 and weighs 186 pounds. Can the veteran who looks like a track star who could run away from anyone be the same receiver who loves contact and has no problem playing in the slot?

That is the NFL version of a human pinball.

"I am very comfortable doing it, because I played there in Pittsburgh and in college (at Southern Methodist)," said Sanders, who was told by Broncos' receivers coach Tyke Tolbert on Monday he will move there in three-wide receiver sets. "I'm looking forward to that."

Could the smiling, easy-with-a-quip, native Texan be the same guy who pops up from breathtaking hits by exhorting the crowd?

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27906949/broncos-emmanuel-sanders-doesnt-run-from-contact-or

dogfish
04-13-2015, 08:53 PM
damn, some of you guys will worry about anything. . . :lol: :lol:

BroncoWave
04-13-2015, 08:58 PM
damn, some of you guys will worry about anything. . . :lol: :lol:

It's a completely legitimate point that he just had by far the best season of his career playing on the outside, and that that might be the best spot for him. To simply reduce it to people "worrying about anything" it pretty lame on your part.

VonDoom
04-13-2015, 10:09 PM
It's a completely legitimate point that he just had by far the best season of his career playing on the outside, and that that might be the best spot for him. To simply reduce it to people "worrying about anything" it pretty lame on your part.

Right, but I think his move to the slot was to be expected. Plus, in 2 WR sets, he'll still be playing on the outside. When they add a third WR (not as often as last year), he'll play the slot and probably be a difficult matchup in that position. This doesn't worry me at all. I think it's a better idea to move him around there, rather than relying on Latimer or Caldwell to suddenly become a slot receiver.

VonDoom
04-13-2015, 10:13 PM
Speaking of Sanders, I'm surprised people haven't tried to overanalyze and dissect this, which was all over the football news sites today:

"If it's not a world championship, it's a bust," receiver Emmanuel Sanders said.

As a fan, I don't like the idea of calling a season a "bust" without a SD win, because that just leads to bitter disappointment the vast majority of the time. But as a player, this is exactly the kind of attitude every one of them should have.

The rest: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27904696/broncos-emmanuel-sanders-its-world-championship-or-bust

Northman
04-13-2015, 10:28 PM
I just thought he played well on the outside last season. He's also going to get smashed in the mouth a lot more in the middle than he was on the outside and he was already on the turf a few times last season. I know that's where he played in Pitt (they had a lot of depth), I just thought he looked good on the outside, he's got a lot of speed for that role.

edit** I am not saying he won't do well there, just thought he was fine on the outside.

Sanders did great on the outside for sure, but with Welker moving on they will probably put Latimer at #2 as i really cant see him as a slot player. To me, Sanders does make the most sense there.

Northman
04-13-2015, 10:32 PM
Right, but I think his move to the slot was to be expected. Plus, in 2 WR sets, he'll still be playing on the outside. When they add a third WR (not as often as last year), he'll play the slot and probably be a difficult matchup in that position. This doesn't worry me at all. I think it's a better idea to move him around there, rather than relying on Latimer or Caldwell to suddenly become a slot receiver.

Exactly.

Sanders didnt suck on the outside and chances are he will still get chances to play that position but to even think he would fail in the slot is just silly to me. Welker made a huge living in the slot and did a lot of damage there so why not take one of your best players and utilize him in a spot that exposes the nickel DB? I think personally think Sanders will have a bigger year than last year by doing this.

Northman
04-13-2015, 10:35 PM
Speaking of Sanders, I'm surprised people haven't tried to overanalyze and dissect this, which was all over the football news sites today:

As a fan, I don't like the idea of calling a season a "bust" without a SD win, because that just leads to bitter disappointment the vast majority of the time. But as a player, this is exactly the kind of attitude every one of them should have.

The rest: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27904696/broncos-emmanuel-sanders-its-world-championship-or-bust

For some players it is, Shannon Sharpe said every season is a failure if you dont win the SB. Not sure if he meant that he didnt enjoy good seasons but he seemed pretty adamant about that statement when he made it. I guess it makes sense because if you go into a season ho-hum and not expecting much than you may not get much out of it. When i compare the Manning lead teams to the Elway lead teams i think the body language and attitude of the teams is really what differs for them respectively. We had the talent the last 3 years but the attitude just didnt seem to be there with all the players. Somehow, this team needs to find that unity and drive.

BroncoWave
04-14-2015, 07:12 AM
Exactly.

Sanders didnt suck on the outside and chances are he will still get chances to play that position but to even think he would fail in the slot is just silly to me. Welker made a huge living in the slot and did a lot of damage there so why not take one of your best players and utilize him in a spot that exposes the nickel DB? I think personally think Sanders will have a bigger year than last year by doing this.

You're doing it again North. You're putting words in people's mouths. No one has said Sanders would fail in the slot. In fact, the people who aren't crazy about the move have said he would probably do just fine in the slot, but would probably do better on the outside.

TXBRONC
04-14-2015, 07:43 AM
Yes, but he didn't become a breakout star until he played on the outside. Could he be good in the slot? Probably. But I tend to agree with weazel that we might very well get the most out of his talents on the outside moreso than from the slot.

The Steelers run a different offense. If Sanders had played in the slot he last year I think he would come up with similar numbers. That aside it doesn't zound like he will be playing in the slot all the time. If I was understanding the article correctly it would be way getting Latimer on the field as well as match up nightmares for opposing defenses.

BroncoWave
04-14-2015, 07:49 AM
The real key to this plan is that Latimer has to be a good player. If he can line up outside and produce the way Decker did or come close to what Sanders did, then we will be in great shape with him there and Sanders in the slot. If Latimer struggles though, we'll kinda have to do some mixing and matching.

Northman
04-14-2015, 07:59 AM
In fact, the people who aren't crazy about the move have said he would probably do just fine in the slot, but would probably do better on the outside.

And im saying that i feel the opposite, that he will probably do better in the slot. Just a difference in opinion.

VonDoom
04-14-2015, 08:21 AM
The real key to this plan is that Latimer has to be a good player. If he can line up outside and produce the way Decker did or come close to what Sanders did, then we will be in great shape with him there and Sanders in the slot. If Latimer struggles though, we'll kinda have to do some mixing and matching.

Yeah, this is true. Like most of the young guys Elway has been talking up, Latimer is going to have to show something. They said they have big expectations for him, so it will be interesting to watch.

BroncoWave
04-14-2015, 09:24 AM
And im saying that i feel the opposite, that he will probably do better in the slot. Just a difference in opinion.

And you're accusing people of saying that Sanders would fail in the slot, which no one said.

Northman
04-14-2015, 09:32 AM
And you're accusing people of saying that Sanders would fail in the slot, which no one said.

Also Sanders was a monster on the edge and burned people. He excelled there more than slot!

doesn't seem to me to be a slot type of guy

Those two comments would suggest that they feel he would not succeed there like he did on the outside. Weazel did come back and expand on his initial thoughts but its not like i pulled shit out of nowhere. Come on now. lol

BroncoWave
04-14-2015, 09:43 AM
Except he said this before you made your post:

I am not saying he won't do well there, just thought he was fine on the outside.

Northman
04-14-2015, 09:45 AM
Which is why i said he expanded on it. lol

But you said no one made the statements which you were totally incorrect on.

But moving on....

weazel
04-14-2015, 10:53 AM
They should give Tasker's kid a tryout, he's a perfect slot player.

Northman
04-14-2015, 10:56 AM
They should give Tasker's kid a tryout, he's a perfect slot player.

Was he any good in college? Dont remember hearing his name much.

weazel
04-14-2015, 11:01 AM
Was he any good in college? Dont remember hearing his name much.

he's pretty damn good in the CFL, he actually looks like Welker, he played with the Chargers in preseason in 2013 but they only used him in kick returning. That's not really hsi game. I know many don't put any stock in the CFL but it is a good stepping stone for kids out of college to still make it in the NFL. Cris Carter's kid looked really good too but the Colts picked him up. There's a kick returner for the Tiger Cats that was unbelievable last season as well, the kid is pure speed and shifty but he is very tiny.

Bronco4ever
04-14-2015, 11:12 AM
This feels a lot like when they announced they would put Roby in at Safety on certain downs. Sure, maybe it'll be a little different, but I think the coaching staff just wants to put it's best players out there regardless of positions. I think Sanders will still see plenty of time on the outside and Roby will still be playing a lot of corner.

VonDoom
04-14-2015, 11:13 AM
This feels a lot like when they announced they would put Roby in at Safety on certain downs. Sure, maybe it'll be a little different, but I think the coaching staff just wants to put it's best players out there regardless of positions. I think Sanders will still see plenty of time on the outside and Roby will still be playing a lot of corner.

Yeah, I was actually going to mention Roby in my post. This is actually less of a story than the Roby situation (which seems to not be that big of a deal anyway) but similar in tone, where they want Sanders to be out there regardless and just move him around to fit in other personnel.

NightTerror218
04-14-2015, 01:30 PM
I figured he would play slot and slide out when we are in 2 TE sets. Or be outside on just two WR sets.

BroncoNut
04-14-2015, 01:59 PM
You're doing it again North. You're putting words in people's mouths. No one has said Sanders would fail in the slot. In fact, the people who aren't crazy about the move have said he would probably do just fine in the slot, but would probably do better on the outside.

north puts a lot more than words in people's mouths, trust me on that. I think the colonel will be fine anywhere on the field with those hands and that speed and the ability to hang onto the ball after getting jacked

weazel
04-14-2015, 03:34 PM
north puts a lot more than words in people's mouths, trust me on that. I think the colonel will be fine anywhere on the field with those hands and that speed and the ability to hang onto the ball after getting jacked

but that's the problem I have with him playing slot, getting jacked. He already gets jacked on the outside, inside he's going to lose his head and we will have another Welker on the roster. I'm not worried about his skillset, it's the threat of injury.

Northman
04-14-2015, 03:38 PM
but that's the problem I have with him playing slot, getting jacked. He already gets jacked on the outside, inside he's going to lose his head and we will have another Welker on the roster. I'm not worried about his skillset, it's the threat of injury.

Depends i guess. In some ways i think working in the slot he will be able to get the ball quicker and then use his speed to outrun the defender. But... if Manning is late on the pass or Sanders hasnt been able to shake the defender enough than he might take some lumps. Either way, he's going to get hit.

dogfish
04-14-2015, 03:57 PM
people also need to remember that we no longer have a receiving TE of JT's caliber to flex out to the slot. . . as much as manning throws to his slot guys, there's a huge need to have somebody productive there. . . sanders is clearly the best fit, so he'll play there most of the time when we're three-wide. . . that's football. . . he'll still be outside when we're in two-WR sets, which will be more often in a kubes offense. . . he's a versatile guy, and we're going to take advantage of it to keep him on the field. . .

Timmy!
04-14-2015, 04:20 PM
Sanders will slay it in the slot when the Broncos go 3+ wide, which won't be that often. He will still be on the outside 50+ % of the time. Most of us figured he would move inside more often when Welker was done anyway......off season threads soooooo much drama.

Northman
04-22-2015, 01:08 PM
Just because i thought the picture was cool.

https://scontent-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/p720x720/11156236_10153303030016318_6068304294743531382_n.j pg?oh=85e834ef94b03717cc3b84f9d3e06720&oe=55CF1512