PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Talks But Doesn't Say Anything

Denver Native (Carol)
09-17-2009, 04:10 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/Broncos.Marshall.NFL.2.1190924.html

Brandon Marshall broke his silence Thursday but didn't really say anything.

The Denver Broncos' Pro Bowl receiver hovered outside the locker room until 12:04 p.m. -- two minutes until closing time -- then went to his locker to answer questions in his first interview since his suspension last month.

Marshall ignored inquiries about that suspension, his health and his state of mind and instead talked only about how he was preparing to face the Cleveland Browns this weekend.

Marshall missed almost all of the team's offseason program while rehabbing from hip surgery, protesting his contract and the team's refusal to trade him and serving a suspension for throwing a temper tantrum at practice.

He returned to work last week but declined all interview requests. Had he remained silent this week, he would have risked a letter of reprimand from the league and possibly a $5,000 fine.

After learning that the locker room would close at 12:06 p.m., he told reporters he'd talk at 12:04.

At that time, he sauntered in without a smile, then spoke for 1 minute, 40 seconds.

Where's your head at after coming back?

"We're going on two weeks into the season, going against a really good Cleveland Browns defense, so we're going to do our best to prepare for that defense," Marshall said.

Have you knocked off the rust? How are you feeling physically?

"I'm feeling good. I'm doing everything I can to prepare for this defense. They're really physical. They're smart. They fly all around the field," Marshall said.

Did you have a lot of making up to do with your teammates after your insubordination and suspension?

"Well, I mean, this week, you know, in preparing for Cleveland ..." Marshall stammered, "it's going to be tough, we know that. And we're going to do our best to give it our best shot."

How close are you to being the Pro Bowl receiver who had back-to-back 100-catch seasons?

"Uh, I think Coach Mangini is doing a great job with the guys, just getting them to do what they're supposed to do, do their job, and it's making it tough on opposing offenses."

Did you not hear the question? How do you feel you're doing?

"Oh, I'm doing good," Marshall said. "I think I was 100 percent a long time ago. I'm just taking the time now just to prepare myself for each week. And this week is Cleveland."

How long until you become a starter again?

"Last question!" a public relations staffer interrupted.

With that, Marshall ignored the final question and slipped past the camera operators and phalanx of reporters and left the locker room, secure in knowing he had avoided punishment for not cooperating with the media.

Marshall doesn't want his name to cross commissioner Roger Goodell's desk again. He was summoned to the commissioner's office last year and suspended for the opener over a series of domestic disputes involving his former girlfriend.

This summer, Marshall was acquitted of charges he beat up his former girlfriend. Marshall had hoped that verdict would give him leverage for a new contract either in Denver or elsewhere.

He's earning $2.2 million this season, a bargain for a player of his abilities, provided he can return to his pre-injury status as one of the game's elite receivers.

The Broncos want to see if he can stay out of trouble and healthy, productive and focused on the field.

Marshall was suspended for the final week and a-half of the preseason after petulant behavior at practice, including batting down a pass during a drill and punting a ball away instead of handing it to a ball boy as players were instructed to do.

Marshall had two drops and four catches for 27 yards in the Broncos' 12-7 win over Cincinnati last week, when he came in as a sub behind starters Eddie Royal, Jabar Gaffney and Brandon Stokley.

Zweems56
09-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Vic said on twitter that Gary Miller and Brandon got into a lippy argument, or something along those lines, and then retracted and said that it was contentious, and then retracted again and said it was "awkward" Apparently at 6, they're going to do some coverage of it. Somebody check it out for me, I live in NJ =p

T.K.O.
09-17-2009, 04:27 PM
i think he did the right thing....everyone on the team wants to get past the old stuff and talk about FOOTBALL...i think brandon knows any comments about his suspension or court case would only be twisted and sensationalized into more than it is....and would fuel new hate and discontent!
i say do your job (prepare for the browns) which is exactly what he was trying to talk about !:2thumbs:

Poet
09-17-2009, 04:31 PM
The more a player talks the more chance there is off a controversy (legit or garbage).

He should slowly make himself more accessible to the media. Slow and steady wins the....race to make yourself not look like a girlfriend beating piece of primmadonna garbage...or something like that.

WARHORSE
09-17-2009, 04:35 PM
He should keep his mouth shut and let his play do the talking.

That would make me the most happy with BM.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-17-2009, 04:35 PM
i think he did the right thing....everyone on the team wants to get past the old stuff and talk about FOOTBALL...i think brandon knows any comments about his suspension or court case would only be twisted and sensationalized into more than it is....and would fuel new hate and discontent!
i say do your job (prepare for the browns) which is exactly what he was trying to talk about !:2thumbs:

I agree - There was plenty of "football" stuff to ask Brandon about - i.e. last week's game, the game coming up this week, but NO, let's ask the "tabloid" questions :tsk:

nbenallo33
09-17-2009, 04:38 PM
i think he did the right thing too! reporters always try to get you to talk about something so they can "blow it up"

cant wait till we see him against the Browns

Lonestar
09-17-2009, 04:52 PM
even by being focused on the up coming game they wanted to dig up crap..

I understnad crap sells papers but let the man do his own thing ..

it could have been reported like this..

delete the yellow journalism questions..and commentary

insert the orange question instead.

Marshall Talks But Doesn't Say Anything

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/Bronco...2.1190924.html

The Denver Broncos' Pro Bowl receiver hovered outside the locker room until 12:04 p.m. -- two minutes until closing time -- then went to his locker to answer questions in his first interview since his suspension last month.

Marshall ignored inquiries about that suspension, his health and his state of mind and instead talked only about how he was preparing to face the Cleveland Browns this weekend.

Marshall missed almost all of the team's offseason program while rehabbing from hip surgery, protesting his contract and the team's refusal to trade him and serving a suspension for throwing a temper tantrum at practice.

He returned to work last week but declined all interview requests. Had he remained silent this week, he would have risked a letter of reprimand from the league and possibly a $5,000 fine.

After learning that the locker room would close at 12:06 p.m., he told reporters he'd talk at 12:04.

At that time, he sauntered in without a smile, then spoke for 1 minute, 40 seconds.

Where's your head at after coming back?How is everything going after the CIN game?
"We're going on two weeks into the season, going against a really good Cleveland Browns defense, so we're going to do our best to prepare for that defense," Marshall said.

"I'm feeling good. I'm doing everything I can to prepare for this defense. They're really physical. They're smart. They fly all around the field," Marshall said.

Did you have a lot of making up to do with your teammates after your insubordination and suspension?

How are your teamates after the past few weeks..
"Well, I mean, this week, you know, in preparing for Cleveland ..." Marshall stammered, "it's going to be tough, we know that. And we're going to do our best to give it our best shot."

How close are you to being the Pro Bowl receiver who had back-to-back 100-catch seasons?

Do you think you can get back to the 100 catch level this year?

"Uh, I think Coach Mangini is doing a great job with the guys, just getting them to do what they're supposed to do, do their job, and it's making it tough on opposing offenses."

"Oh, I'm doing good," Marshall said. "I think I was 100 percent a long time ago. I'm just taking the time now just to prepare myself for each week. And this week is Cleveland."

With that, Marshall ignored the final question and slipped past the camera operators and phalanx of reporters and left the locker room, secure in knowing he had avoided punishment for not cooperating with the media.

Marshall doesn't want his name to cross commissioner Roger Goodell's desk again. He was summoned to the commissioner's office last year and suspended for the opener over a series of domestic disputes involving his former girlfriend.

This summer, Marshall was acquitted of charges he beat up his former girlfriend. Marshall had hoped that verdict would give him leverage for a new contract either in Denver or elsewhere.

He's earning $2.2 million this season, a bargain for a player of his abilities, provided he can return to his pre-injury status as one of the game's elite receivers.

The Broncos want to see if he can stay out of trouble and healthy, productive and focused on the field.

Marshall was suspended for the final week and a-half of the preseason after petulant behavior at practice, including batting down a pass during a drill and punting a ball away instead of handing it to a ball boy as players were instructed to do.

Marshall had two drops and four catches for 27 yards in the Broncos' 12-7 win over Cincinnati last week, when he came in as a sub behind starters Eddie Royal, Jabar Gaffney and Brandon Stokley.

Day1BroncoFan
09-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Marshal did what he should have done and fulfilled his obligation, all without incident. :D

Lonestar
09-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Marshal did what he should have done and fulfilled his obligation, all without incident. :D

so far the smartest thing he has done in a LOOOONG time.:salute:

but he still should not be drug thru the coals over doing something good.. it is not the way to reinforce good behavior..

does something bad swat on the butt or suspension..:salute:

does something good gets dumped on in the press..:tsk:

Day1BroncoFan
09-17-2009, 05:01 PM
so far the smartest thing he has done in a LOOOONG time.:salute:

but he still should not be drug thru the coals over doing something good.. it is not the way to reinforce good behavior..

does something bad swat on the butt or suspension..:salute:

does something good gets dumped on in the press..:tsk:

I'm proud of him. :salute:

Now let's see him tear it up on Sunday. :rockon:

Shutdown
09-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Is there a video of this? It sounds like he was being a dick. I would like to see how his demeanor was during the interview. Was he just acting all lackadaisical or was he acting professional and avoiding certain issues?

The written interview sounds like he was giving "Cutler" like responses. Hopefully it was the latter. His production this Sunday will be the answer, I'm guessing.

broncophan
09-17-2009, 05:34 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/Broncos.Marshall.NFL.2.1190924.html

Where's your head at after coming back?

Maybe it is just me.....but it appears that BM is just going through the motions........and I don't think we should expect any more from him.......on the field......or talking to reporters.

Imo........if the guy does nothing more this season.....he will go elsewhere.....and AT THE LEAST......make the $$ that he is making now.
The guy just wants out of Denver imo...

Obviously I hope I am wrong.....would love to see him produce ......even half as much as he did last year...

Lonestar
09-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Is there a video of this? It sounds like he was being a dick. I would like to see how his demeanor was during the interview. Was he just acting all lackadaisical or was he acting professional and avoiding certain issues?

The written interview sounds like he was giving "Cutler" like responses. Hopefully it was the latter. His production this Sunday will be the answer, I'm guessing.

I suspect there will be film at 11..

Denver Native (Carol)
09-17-2009, 05:41 PM
I am not sure why anyone would look at it that Brandon is obligated to talk about anything else other than football.

honz
He should keep his mouth shut and let his play do the talking.

That would make me the most happy with BM.
It appears that is what he is trying to do, however I'm sure some will now be pissed that he won't talk to the media even though they were wanting him to shut his mouth a few months ago...but so it goes.

Lonestar
Maybe it is just me.....but it appears that BM is just going through the motions........and I don't think we should expect any more from him.......on the field......or talking to reporters.

Imo........if the guy does nothing more this season.....he will go elsewhere.....and AT THE LEAST......make the $$ that he is making now.
The guy just wants out of Denver imo...

Obviously I hope I am wrong.....would love to see him produce ......even half as much as he did last year...

it could be either or.. maybe the mutt has learned his lesson and wants to make amends..

maybe he want so to have a great contract year..

maybe he wants to move on but has to show everyone he is the WR he used to be.. and can stays way from being controversial..IF this is the option he is looking for then jolly for him and then us IF someone wants to give us a 1st and 3rd in next years draft..

but then in Mc Kinley does not blossom this year we can match the offer,,

T.K.O.
09-17-2009, 06:47 PM
even when he says nothing ....someone has to start trouble.....heres the latest from pft

Brandon Marshall says he was "100%" a long time ago
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 17, 2009 3:58 PM ET
Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall broke his silence to the local media Thursday, although he didn't have much to say.

During what the Denver Post is calling the "Immaculate Deflection," Marshall reportedly ignored questions about the circumstances that led to his suspension, how close he is to Pro Bowl form, and whether he's done anything to make up for his behavior to his teammates.

Marshall did say that he's fully recovered from offseason hip surgery and the hamstring injury that kept him out for most of the preseason.

"I think I was 100 percent a long time ago," Marshall said. "I'm just taking the time now to prepare myself for each week, and this week is Cleveland."

These untrained eyes thought Marshall was lacking some of his usual explosion in Week One, but he was still able to get open a few times. Holding on to the ball was another matter; Marshall had at least two drops.

Still, like so many offseason dramas, the storm around Marshall has quieted down now that the season has started and weekly paychecks are at stake.

Marshall begrudgingly seems to realize that they only way he'll get the money he wants is to shut up and start producing.

He may also realize putting up Pro Bowl numbers won't be nearly as easy to do this year with Kyle Orton behind center.

and that my friends is why many players dont want to talk to the media

Denver Native (Carol)
09-17-2009, 06:54 PM
http://www.9news.com/sports/article.aspx?storyid=123448&catid=345

Keep in mind, this interview was right AFTER practice.

Lonestar
09-17-2009, 07:03 PM
http://www.9news.com/sports/article.aspx?storyid=123448&catid=345

Keep in mind, this interview was right AFTER practice.

between 1204 and 1206 not second longer..

Denver Native (Carol)
09-17-2009, 07:07 PM

This is not the whole interview.

Reidman
09-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Classiest thing Marshall has done all season...

Maybe he's figuring it out...

Shutdown
09-17-2009, 07:31 PM

Well it seems he was just trying to do the right thing.

Good job Marshall.

SmilinAssasSin27
09-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Are you sure we aren't the Portland Trailblazers.

"Everyone played hard."

honz
09-17-2009, 09:41 PM
LOL. All the fans are happy he is keeping his mouth shut while the reporters are all bitching about how he blew them off. Maybe they should have taken the hint that he didn't want to talk about past happenings and only wants to talk about the business at hand. :sigh:

Shutdown
09-17-2009, 10:08 PM

"Everyone played hard."

lol

He was like Ricky Bobby in that really awkward interview.

"We done real good"

pnbronco
09-17-2009, 10:13 PM
Good for him. I think he's listening to Rod and Sharp. I remember Sharp saying when I'm in Dove I only talk football. I hope he keeps it up...:D

Dirk
09-18-2009, 06:31 AM
I am not sure why anyone would look at it that Brandon is obligated to talk about anything else other than football.

Because the media only goes after a "juicy" story to print. And just talkin' football isn't juicy enough. They need some controversy.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-18-2009, 09:09 AM
A few minutes ago, Vic and Gary were talking about this, and then Gary said he talked to Brandon afterwards, and it was apparent to him that Brandon was having fun with the press.

Rod Smith is on there now, and when ask about this, he said it was smart of Brandon to do what he did. Rod also said something like the press has a way of reporting what really was not said - ie - how they interpreted it.

Reidman
09-18-2009, 11:08 AM

"Everyone played hard."

LOL! Rasheed Wallace

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BrOH-KHxXg0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BrOH-KHxXg0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>