PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign DL Antonio Smith

VonDoom
04-02-2015, 01:44 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 5m5 minutes ago

Former #Raiders and #Texans DL Antonio Smith has agreed to a 1-year deal for $2M with the #Broncos, per @RosenhausSports

Can't argue with the price. Knows Kubiak and Kollar, as discussed in the other thread.

Timmy!
04-02-2015, 01:47 PM
:pop2:

chazoe60
04-02-2015, 01:55 PM
We'll never win. Elway needs to go back to cooking steaks and working on cars.

DenBronx
04-02-2015, 02:05 PM
Yippie ki yay.

DenBronx
04-02-2015, 02:08 PM
Depth move really. Solid signing. Maybe the only one that's made sense so far.

underrated29
04-02-2015, 02:13 PM
LOVE IT!

Always liked Antonio. I think he is hilarious too. Great leader, solid enough player, who in our defense should be able to do very very nicely.

Oh- Im sorry. Forgot, this is a transition year, our 10 probowlers suck, bring back mcdaniels.

VonDoom
04-02-2015, 02:32 PM
Andrew Mason's take:

Antonio Smith knows what Wade Phillips and Bill Kollar want from their defensive ends -- and his skill set is a perfect match for what they expect from five-technique end.

So when the Raiders released him after a year working at defensive tackle in their 4-3 scheme, it was no surprise that the Broncos quickly showed their interest and pounced.

Smith was one of the best pass-rushing 3-4 ends in recent years, with 18.5 sacks in three seasons (2011-13) when Phillips was Houston's defensive coordinator. In that span, he was credited with 32 quarterback hits and 89 quarterback hurries by ProFootballFocus.com; during those years, only Arizona's Calais Campbell and Houston's J.J. Watt had more hits and pressures among 3-4 ends.

His value extends to the locker room, where the 33-year-old is considered one of the better leaders at his position. That will help the entire front seven as his new teammates turn to him to help adapt to Phillips' 3-4 scheme.

Like Vance Walker, Smith is likely to be a rotational defensive end behind Malik Jackson and Derek Wolfe, both of whom played extensively in hybrid tackle/end roles in last year's 4-3 scheme. Their size, skill set and chemistry working off each other to generate pressure with stunts and twists ensures they will have prominent roles.

But to make the defense work, the Broncos needed a quality four-man rotation. With Smith aboard, they appear to be set, and are not boxed into reaching for a 3-4 defensive end in the draft. They might still add one under the "best player available" philosophy, and with the contracts of Jackson and Wolfe expiring after 2015, there will be some long-term planning involved with any draft selection. But relative to the 2015 season, defensive end is no longer a position of urgent need.

And because the Raiders released Smith this week, he was a street free agent, and his acquisition does not factor into the calculation of compensatory picks for the 2016 NFL Draft. That meant there was no reason to stall in adding Smith.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/What-It-Means-Broncos-add-DE-Antonio-Smith/b0bdae76-5a2b-4289-9d83-e6078791717f

OrangeHoof
04-02-2015, 02:41 PM
He's a good, steady veteran who is willing to say it like it is. As long as the Broncos don't add Richie Incognito, he'll be a good addition.

weazel
04-02-2015, 03:10 PM
he's going to pack on 75 pounds and play on the OL

DenBronx
04-02-2015, 04:37 PM
He's a good, steady veteran who is willing to say it like it is. As long as the Broncos don't add Richie Incognito, he'll be a good addition.

I think if we were going to add Richie then it would of happened last year. He is a very good OL guy though and at this rate I just want to keep Manning upright on his feet.

Hate to be a downer but I dont think were going to be any better than last years team.

gregbroncs
04-02-2015, 04:49 PM
I think of we were going to add Richie then it would of happened last year. He is a very good OL guy though and at this rate I just want to keep Manning upright on his feet.

Hate to be a downer but I dont think were going to be any better than last years team.Last years team was pretty good till Manning got hurt.

Simple Jaded
04-02-2015, 04:50 PM
Solid depth along the DL, drafting Michael Bennett would put the DE position over the top to me, if he drops he's a steal imo. I don't remember what Vance Walker got in terms of years but Antonio Smith, Malik Jackson and Derek Wolfe are all going into final year of their contract.

Right now Denver is 2-deep across the DL, they can fit another onto the final 53.

Valar Morghulis
04-02-2015, 04:54 PM
If incognito would be an upgrade - i would take him in a heart beat, i have been really surprised by our off season activity so far

I just can not wait until the draft when we smash it out the park!

Simple Jaded
04-02-2015, 04:57 PM
Incognito signed with the Bills in March, did he already get cut?

weazel
04-02-2015, 05:01 PM
I think of we were going to add Richie then it would of happened last year. He is a very good OL guy though and at this rate I just want to keep Manning upright on his feet.

Hate to be a downer but I dont think were going to be any better than last years team.

I dont think they will be near as good... but they play the games for a reason

Valar Morghulis
04-02-2015, 05:06 PM
Incognito signed with the Bills in March, did he already get cut?

Oh yeah! Ignore me.

Still my sentiment remains the same - right now, i will take anyone with any amount of baggage, as long as they can keep PFM upright on his way to his second super bowl MVP

Simple Jaded
04-02-2015, 05:21 PM
Oh yeah! Ignore me.

Still my sentiment remains the same - right now, i will take anyone with any amount of baggage, as long as they can keep PFM upright on his way to his second super bowl MVP

****in A! Totally agree, they can't all be choir boys.

Valar Morghulis
04-02-2015, 05:23 PM
****in A! Totally agree, they can't all be choir boys.

spoken like a true basted coated basterd

Simple Jaded
04-02-2015, 05:25 PM
spoken like a true basted coated basterd

Basterd coated basterd with basterd filling.

Simple Jaded
04-02-2015, 05:28 PM
FTbgvYPVdXE

Mm, Heather Graham.

VonDoom
04-02-2015, 05:37 PM
Solid depth along the DL, drafting Michael Bennett would put the DE position over the top to me, if he drops he's a steal imo. I don't remember what Vance Walker got in terms of years but Antonio Smith, Malik Jackson and Derek Wolfe are all going into final year of their contract.

Right now Denver is 2-deep across the DL, they can fit another onto the final 53.

I was just thinking about this before. I'm a bit worried about our run defense slipping without Knighton but I like our overall depth. It wouldn't surprise me to see us use an early pick on a DT or DE

OrangeHoof
04-02-2015, 07:27 PM
For those who don't know, Incognito and Antonio Smith scrapped it out a few times *before* all the racist smack by Incognito hit the wires. I think Smith would use practice to crush his skull if he could. It would be like inviting Andre Johnson and Cortland Finnegan to be bunkmates.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-02-2015, 09:37 PM
For those who don't know, Incognito and Antonio Smith scrapped it out a few times *before* all the racist smack by Incognito hit the wires. I think Smith would use practice to crush his skull if he could. It would be like inviting Andre Johnson and Cortland Finnegan to be bunkmates.

Incognito signed with the Bills.

Simple Jaded
04-02-2015, 10:23 PM
I was just thinking about this before. I'm a bit worried about our run defense slipping without Knighton but I like our overall depth. It wouldn't surprise me to see us use an early pick on a DT or DE

Come to think of it, Marvin Austin might be going into his final year too, DL might still be higher on the list than we think.

However, I do like all these short term contracts.

BeefStew25
04-02-2015, 10:52 PM
I don't trust black players with Latin names.

Northman
04-03-2015, 08:32 AM
Oh- Im sorry. Forgot, this is a transition year, our 10 probowlers suck, bring back mcdaniels.

:lol::lol:

Cugel
04-04-2015, 01:50 AM
Oh yeah! Ignore me.

That's been the problem for the last 3 years. The OL has basically sucked. They couldn't run the ball when they wanted or needed to. And Peyton had to throw in 1.7 seconds in the playoffs.

He can do that. He gets rid of the ball quicker than most anybody in football, BUT when he has to make a decision that quickly and get rid of it, he can make mistakes, throw picks and incomplete passes. The offense sputters.

Yet they failed to address the OL except with patches the last 2 years. Now they're apparently going to rehabilitate Chris Clark to play RT. Once again, after he failed so miserably last year. And bring in rookie Michael Schofield who was inactive all season.

That's their plan. I don't think it's a good one. If instead they went out and got a bunch of stud OL who could stonewall pass block they might get another 2 years out of Peyton. His only problem has been not getting hit too much so he keeps healthy, and getting time to throw because he's not mobile. At all.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-06-2015, 05:29 PM
Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 1h

Antonio Smith: "The best type of leader is a server. If you can serve your teammates, you can (lead)."

Antonio Smith, on leadership: "Anything (young teammates) need from me -- advice, help…I'm an open book…I take pride in teaching the craft."

Antonio Smith says DL Coach Bill Kollar told him his role will be predicated on rushing the passer when the the Broncos go into the nickel.

Antonio Smith said he was told that the Broncos called his agent "right off the bat" after he was cut.