PDA

View Full Version : Broncos traded something to the ravens for Center Gino Gradkoswki

underrated29
04-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Title says it all.

Is it an april fools? I guess you will have to see for yourself. Sadly, it is not. I dont know this guy but it better be a 7th rd pick or future 7th...or Ronnie Hillman or something.

MOtorboat
04-01-2015, 02:36 PM
Black hole.

tubby
:cool:

tubby
Black hole.

quoted for dipshittedness

underrated29
04-01-2015, 02:41 PM
All of you are suckers. Its confirmed. 2016 draft considerations.

MOtorboat
04-01-2015, 02:42 PM
quoted for dipshittedness

UR started a thread that said Broncos trade something to Ravens for something. Srsly.

SR
04-01-2015, 02:42 PM
All of you are suckers. Its confirmed. 2016 draft considerations.

It's on NFL.com. The guy is a scrub. He graded out as the 35th (last place) ranked among qualifying centers in 2013 when he started all 16 games. He played a whopping 10 snaps in eight games last year.

Timmy!
04-01-2015, 02:48 PM
Ravens page is saying the Ravens also sent us a pick in 2016. So its something like player + 7th round pick for a 6th round pick. Competition for Center I guess, which we need.

VonDoom
04-01-2015, 02:49 PM
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 10m10 minutes ago

Ravens traded center Gino Gradkowski and a 2016 draft pick to the Denver Broncos in exchange for a 2016 draft pick.

Doesn't say what picks yet.

I mean ... why exactly? If we don't get Myers, aren't we better off with just Paradis and re-signing Montgomery?

DenBronx
04-01-2015, 02:49 PM
He got beat out in 2014 and lost his job.

Glad we're getting OL help but this wasn't what I had in mind.

I just don't get this ....

NightTrainLayne
04-01-2015, 02:50 PM
Kubiak has to know the guy pretty well. . . must have seen some spark of some kind there.

VonDoom
04-01-2015, 02:57 PM
Kubiak has to know the guy pretty well. . . must have seen some spark of some kind there.

Kubiak was only there for one year and this guy saw all of ten snaps of real game action. He must have killed in practice.

tubby
04-01-2015, 03:01 PM
UR started a thread that said Broncos trade something to Ravens for something. Srsly.

Yeah our new center Gino Gradkoswki

tubby
04-01-2015, 03:01 PM
Looks like a real mean SOB

tubby
04-01-2015, 03:02 PM
won a SB in 2013 :tsk:

Denver Native (Carol)
04-01-2015, 03:11 PM
The Denver Broncos on Wednesday acquired Ravens center Gino Gradkowski in a trade that involves 2016 draft-pick considerations.

The 6-foot-3, 300-pound Gradkowski appeared in 40 regular-season games and six playoff games in three seasons for Baltimore after the Ravens selected him in the foruth round of the 2012 draft out of Delaware.

Gradkowski, who is in the final year of his rookie contract, played eight offensive snaps last season and started 16 games for the Ravens in 2013.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27829281/broncos-acquire-center-gino-gradkowski-trade-ravens

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 4m

#Ravens-#Broncos trade not formally complete until Gradkowski takes physical w/#Broncos. He would count just over $1.6M against cap in '15.

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 11m

From @Edwerderespn and myself -- Broncos-Ravens trade is: Ravens get 4th Rd pick in '16, #Broncos get Gradkowski + 5th Rd pick in '16.

weazel
04-01-2015, 03:14 PM
it's all coming together!

Northman
04-01-2015, 03:18 PM
Come on Bmore, do me a favor and trade Doom back.

VonDoom
04-01-2015, 03:19 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27829281/broncos-acquire-center-gino-gradkowski-trade-ravens

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 4m

#Ravens-#Broncos trade not formally complete until Gradkowski takes physical w/#Broncos. He would count just over $1.6M against cap in '15.

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 11m

From @Edwerderespn and myself -- Broncos-Ravens trade is: Ravens get 4th Rd pick in '16, #Broncos get Gradkowski + 5th Rd pick in '16.

I don't mind picking up depth, but I hate giving up a better pick just for this. Hopefully this means Ramirez gets the boot - we won't even need him to run one of the three lines in training camp (I believe this was UR's point about why he was still on the roster) and this guy is at least cheaper. I can't find much else good to say about it at this point.

SR
04-01-2015, 03:25 PM

That wouldn't be a favor at all.

Northman
04-01-2015, 03:26 PM
That wouldn't be a favor at all.

Blow me. :)

underrated29
04-01-2015, 03:33 PM

It's on NFL.com. The guy is a scrub. He graded out as the 35th (last place) ranked among qualifying centers in 2013 when he started all 16 games. He played a whopping 10 snaps in eight games last year.

srsly mo

Denver Native (Carol)
04-01-2015, 03:33 PM

Who would you want Doom to replace, and why do we even need him?

Buff
04-01-2015, 03:38 PM
I'm running out of ways to try and positively spin our o-line situation. Hopefully we find a solid starter in the draft.

underrated29
04-01-2015, 03:42 PM
I'm running out of ways to try and positively spin our o-line situation. Hopefully we find a solid starter in the draft.

I was hoping for Cam Erving but with this trade it looks like Fisher, Flowers or someone else.

Northman
04-01-2015, 03:43 PM
Who would you want Doom to replace, and why do we even need him?

He wouldnt need to replace anyone, the only downfall would be the pricetag we would have to take but since its less than what we initially offered not too bad really. Denver will be moving to a 3-4 so you would need 4 LB's anyway.

Poet
04-01-2015, 03:46 PM
He was one of the best players for the Bengals.

BroncoWave
04-01-2015, 03:51 PM
Man, it's really sad how much we have been scraping the bottom of the barrell this offseason. Can't say I'm too big of a fan of moving down in next year's draft to do so.

Jsteve01
04-01-2015, 03:53 PM
Jaded is going to flip

Dzone
04-01-2015, 03:53 PM
This Gradkowski dude sounds terrible.

Northman
04-01-2015, 04:03 PM
We should just fire Elway and pack it in. Seasons over.

Krugan
04-01-2015, 04:17 PM
Well, he has started and been on a winning super bowl team, so I guess there is that.

it doesnt really hurt to bring in a former starter for a 4th round pick. Although this year might have been a good year to trade a pick, as we have enough as it stands...

VonDoom
04-01-2015, 04:25 PM
Well, he has started and been on a winning super bowl team, so I guess there is that.

it doesnt really hurt to bring in a former starter for a 4th round pick. Although this year might have been a good year to trade a pick, as we have enough as it stands...

He was the lowest rated C per PFF in 2013. I guess you don't need a top center to win the SB!

Also, most of our picks this year are late round picks. We don't even have our own 4th rounder this year. At least next year we should get a 3rd and 4th comp pick, so it probably won't kill us too much to trade our own. Another 5th rounder is okay, especially if the picks are close next year

DenBronx
04-01-2015, 04:35 PM
1.6 mill? Isn't that about the same as Chris Myers would of got? You know, the guy that's actually good and a starter? And would of cost of NO draft picks?

SoCalImport
04-01-2015, 04:39 PM
1.6 mill? Isn't that about the same as Chris Myers would of got? You know, the guy that's actually good and a starter? And would of cost of NO draft picks?

Kubiak knows both players

SR
04-01-2015, 04:46 PM
Blow me. :)

Are you gonna be in the Galveston area in the next four days?

DenBronx
04-01-2015, 04:47 PM

Kubiak knows both players

Apparently so do Raven fans. They are saying he was the worst guy on their OL. I swear it's like we went to the .99 cents store this offseason. Besides the one year Kubiak was there this guy never even got to play.

SR
04-01-2015, 04:47 PM
Well, he has started and been on a winning super bowl team, so I guess there is that. it doesnt really hurt to bring in a former starter for a 4th round pick. Although this year might have been a good year to trade a pick, as we have enough as it stands...

Does that matter when you grade out worse than every other qualifying center in the NFL?

Northman
04-01-2015, 04:51 PM
Are you gonna be in the Galveston area in the next four days?

lmao

Davii
04-01-2015, 05:06 PM
Does that matter when you grade out worse than every other qualifying center in the NFL?

Can he play guard? Safety?

Dzone
04-01-2015, 05:08 PM
A 4th round pick for the worst center in football? Colossal failure of epic proportions. There goes the season

SR
04-01-2015, 05:11 PM
Can he play guard? Safety?

Safety, yes.

Dzone
04-01-2015, 05:32 PM
Elway should stick to selling cars and steaks

Krugan
04-01-2015, 05:47 PM

are gradings the be all end all of player ability?

Simply put it was s comment, i dont give 2 shits either direction.

chazoe60
04-01-2015, 05:53 PM
Some of you are so ridiculous, it makes my head hurt

Timmy!
04-01-2015, 05:55 PM
Some of you are so ridiculous, it makes my head hurt

Ive decided to become a jags fan. At least they might win a game or two next year.

MOtorboat
04-01-2015, 06:48 PM
Ive decided to become a jags fan. At least they might win a game or two next year.

THIS guy is the key, missing piece in the championship cog.

tomjonesrocks
04-01-2015, 06:57 PM
Is the report really a 4th?

Sounds high. I wonder what Kubes knows about him. Maybe he thinks it will help Manning transition to his offense.

Cugel
04-01-2015, 07:01 PM
A 4th round pick for the worst center in football? Colossal failure of epic proportions. There goes the season

:laugh: Now that was funny!

Epic overreaction by fans here. Our 4th round pick (#124 overall) is worth a whopping 48 points. The #1 overall pick by comparison is worth 3,000 points. If you traded 15 such picks that would equal the 25th pick of the 1st round. Think about that 15 late 4th rounders = 1 late 1st round pick.

You can sometimes find good players in the 4th round, if you're lucky, but normally, you don't expect to find a starter that late in the draft. Potential starters are drafted on days 1 and 2.

SO Broncos fans, they gave up a pick that will probably be a scrub in exchange for a scrub and a 5th round scrub pick. Not a big deal IMO. :coffee:

Is it a disappointment that they didn't go out and get a stud starting RT in FA? Yes! But, I wouldn't waste much effort panning this deal. They didn't give up much and they didn't get much either.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-01-2015, 07:32 PM
What It Means: Broncos add Gino Gradkowski

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/What-It-Means-Broncos-add-Gino-Gradkowski/7f84e721-8cdc-44c1-99c7-57a115c8365d

Timmy!
04-01-2015, 08:22 PM
Guys....we are getting a pick as well. A 5th.

Ziggy
04-01-2015, 08:30 PM
Guys....we are getting a pick as well. A 5th.

Shhhhh. Don't rain on their parade. Let them be miserable so they can be happy. ;)

BroncoWave
04-01-2015, 08:35 PM
Jeez, God forbid anyone criticize a move. It must mean they are miserable, hate the team, and think John Elway is a moron.

Timmy!
04-01-2015, 08:41 PM
BTB, the patron saint of bitching. :heh:

Denver Native (Carol)
04-01-2015, 08:54 PM
Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 4h

Gradkowski obviously a player both Kubiak and #Broncos OC Rick Dennison vouched for -- both coached in Balt. last season, saw him every day.

underrated29
04-01-2015, 09:22 PM
Chris Myers is not playing for 1.2 mil. Last I heard he wanted 3+....what did settle offer weisnewski?

Simple Jaded
04-01-2015, 09:23 PM
Lmmfao.

Wow!

This OL is really taking shape, I wonder if the leagues worst RT is available.

Simple Jaded
04-01-2015, 09:24 PM
Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 4h

Gradkowski obviously a player both Kubiak and #Broncos OC Rick Dennison vouched for -- both coached in Balt. last season, saw him every day.

They liked him so much they benched him.

Northman
04-01-2015, 11:54 PM
Shhhhh. Don't rain on their parade. Let them be miserable so they can be happy. ;)

Yeeeep. God forbid we actually see them play some games this year before jumping ship. lmao

Ziggy
04-02-2015, 02:23 AM
They liked him so much they benched him.

The Ravens traded for Jeremy Zuttah after the 2013 season because Gradkowski was terrible in the power scheme that season. The minute that trade was made, Zuttah became the starter. Kubiak came in and installed the ZBS. Gradkowski only got 10 snaps last season in games because Zuttah was healthy and was an absolute stud. Obviously though, Kubes and Dennison saw enough in practices and preseason to think that Gradkowski is a good fit in the ZBS.

In the end, Denver traded a 4th for a 5th and a player. Even if he doesn't make the team, we traded down from the 4th to the 5th round to take a chance on a guy that is young and has starting NFL experience. Let's fire Elway now and call the season a failure.

Rick
04-02-2015, 06:54 AM
OMG, don't tell me we traded for a backup/potential starter and basically swapped a 4th round pick for a pick 1 round later. WTF will we do now?

Kubiak and Dennison know jack shit about ZBS, WTF are they doing lending advice on players who fit that system.

**** my life.

BroncoWave
04-02-2015, 07:12 AM
Yeeeep. God forbid we actually see them play some games this year before jumping ship. lmao

Who is jumping ship? You're being a little dramatic here, North.

BroncoWave
04-02-2015, 07:15 AM
Let's fire Elway now and call the season a failure.

Literally no one is saying this...

Mike
04-02-2015, 08:00 AM
This kind of an "uprade?" :confused: says a lot about what they thought about our o-line. lol.

weazel
04-02-2015, 09:20 AM
I think they found the one piece that kept them from winning the Superbowl last season!

Simple Jaded
04-02-2015, 09:24 AM
The Ravens traded for Jeremy Zuttah after the 2013 season because Gradkowski was terrible in the power scheme that season. The minute that trade was made, Zuttah became the starter. Kubiak came in and installed the ZBS. Gradkowski only got 10 snaps last season in games because Zuttah was healthy and was an absolute stud. Obviously though, Kubes and Dennison saw enough in practices and preseason to think that Gradkowski is a good fit in the ZBS.

In the end, Denver traded a 4th for a 5th and a player. Even if he doesn't make the team, we traded down from the 4th to the 5th round to take a chance on a guy that is young and has starting NFL experience. Let's fire Elway now and call the season a failure.

So Denver traded for a terrible Center?

Next you'll tell me how Denver doesn't need talented players in a ZBS, I've heard it all before, it's the biggest bullshit cliche in Broncos history. A scrub is a scrub, dude has 31" arms and marginal athletic ability, it doesn't matter what system you run because you're always limited by the players limitations.

As for the Fire Elway thing, save it, I have zero problems with John Elway.

Btw, it's not the draft pick either, I couldn't care less, it's the "fits the ZBS" mentality seeping back into the fold that bothers me. Kubiak did just fine with Osemele, Zuttah and Yanda, players that aren't "terrible" when they have to block with power. It's the thought that the Broncos might actually prefer Gradkowski to a total absolute like Zuttah, because "he fits the zone block system". Lots of teams run zone, you don't see the Packers chasing scrubs.

And last but not least, let's not forget these guys have to pass protect too, and Gino Hochstein was terrible at that too.

NightTrainLayne
04-02-2015, 10:05 AM
Literally no one is saying this...

I won't bother to go look it up, but earlier, in this very thread, somebody said that Elway should stick to selling cars and steaks.

Literally, someone is saying this.

Buff
04-02-2015, 10:09 AM
I am with Wave, the backlash to the backlash is actually more ridiculous than the initial backlash in this instance. Like, he objectively graded out as the worst center in the league - it's ok to criticize our supreme overlords once in a while.

weazel
04-02-2015, 10:11 AM
but in the grand scheme of things... he is the 35th best center in the entire world!

Northman
04-02-2015, 10:27 AM
Who is jumping ship? You're being a little dramatic here, North.

Probably, but it seems like every time i turn around and read a thread on this forum guys are being over dramatic about the moves the Broncos are making. Lets see it how it plays out before going emo about it is all im saying.

VonDoom
04-02-2015, 10:41 AM
I won't bother to go look it up, but earlier, in this very thread, somebody said that Elway should stick to selling cars and steaks.

Literally, someone is saying this.

I don't remember who posted that, but I took it as sarcasm. I can't speak for whoever that was, but it didn't strike me as a serious comment.

VonDoom
04-02-2015, 10:43 AM
I guess not a surprise at this point, but Montgomery is going to the Bears. Meanwhile, Ramirez lives on with our team like a cockroach:

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 23m23 minutes ago

#broncos had interest in bringing back Will Montgomery, but ended when acquired Gradkowski. Montgomery joins #broncos Midwest AKA #bears

Traveler
04-02-2015, 10:44 AM
It's the thought that the Broncos might actually prefer Gradkowski to a total absolute like Zuttah, because "he fits the zone block system". Lots of teams run zone, you don't see the Packers chasing scrubs.

Good point! Hopefully this isn't their thought process. Kubiak mentioned something about how the ZBS doesn't necessarily have to have the "lighter weight" guys to be effective.
Although I'm concerned with their recent player acquisitions, l'll wait and see what they do in the draft before going into full melt-down mode.

VonDoom
04-02-2015, 10:47 AM
I am with Wave, the backlash to the backlash is actually more ridiculous than the initial backlash in this instance. Like, he objectively graded out as the worst center in the league - it's ok to criticize our supreme overlords once in a while.

It's just especially strange that a guy like Wisniewski is still out there. He was supposedly a target of ours and is reportedly looking for $4 million a year. We're paying Gradkowski $1.6. We couldn't have cut some dead weight to pay that extra $2.4 million and have, I don't know, a guy who would anchor our line for years to come?

Ziggy
04-02-2015, 11:51 AM
It's just especially strange that a guy like Wisniewski is still out there. He was supposedly a target of ours and is reportedly looking for $4 million a year. We're paying Gradkowski $1.6. We couldn't have cut some dead weight to pay that extra $2.4 million and have, I don't know, a guy who would anchor our line for years to come?

Wiz is coming off of labrum surgery, and NO team in the NFL is signing him as of now. Something has scared off every GM in the league on Wiz. Personally, I like the guy. There may be more to it all than the shoulder surgery as well, but he's not getting offers from anyone.

Ziggy
04-02-2015, 11:52 AM
This thread is going to be even more comical if Elway drafts Cameron Erving in the 1st.

DenBronx
04-02-2015, 12:32 PM
Chris Myers is not playing for 1.2 mil. Last I heard he wanted 3+....what did settle offer weisnewski?

What he wanted and what he will get are two different things. The markets drying up...

VonDoom
04-02-2015, 12:37 PM
Wiz is coming off of labrum surgery, and NO team in the NFL is signing him as of now. Something has scared off every GM in the league on Wiz. Personally, I like the guy. There may be more to it all than the shoulder surgery as well, but he's not getting offers from anyone.

Fair point. I haven't been following that closely, as I know he's met with a ton of teams but remains unsigned. Could be similar to the Knighton situation, where something is stopping teams from going all in.

underrated29
04-02-2015, 12:42 PM
This thread is going to be even more comical if Elway drafts Cameron Erving in the 1st.

I still hope so. He can play Center like a Boss. He can play T pretty well and he can play Guard like a sexy MF too. He destroys in the run game and all of his deficiencies are things that can easily be coached up. He could be a stud at T with some coaching. He could be a super stud at G with some coaching. And an Elite Center with some coaching.

underrated29
04-02-2015, 12:46 PM
What he wanted and what he will get are two different things. The markets drying up...

I know that four-ish teams brought wiz in for visits and he has the same 6-8 month recovery as I do. Myers has not been brought in by anyone and with at least 4 teams looking for a quality C- it shows his age and price tag are too much. It may be that he waits forever and when no one signs him he settles for 1.5 or something like we did for Montgomery last year, but as of now thats not the case.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-02-2015, 01:17 PM
The Denver Broncos are going to have a new-look offensive line in 2015 for many reasons. They could have as many as three new starters up front compared to the players they started out last season with. The Broncos are also going to employ a zone-blocking system, and that creates a need to find offensive linemen with a specific skill set.

New Broncos head coach Gary Kubiak knows the team needs to improve its play on the offensive line.

“We have to get better up front. There has been some shuffling going on. I feel good about our ability to develop these young guys. That’s our job as coaches.” Kubiak concluded, “We have a lot of confidence these guys have done this before.”

rest - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2417265-denver-broncos-add-competition-at-center-question-mark-at-right-tackle-remains

Simple Jaded
04-02-2015, 04:33 PM
Good point! Hopefully this isn't their thought process. Kubiak mentioned something about how the ZBS doesn't necessarily have to have the "lighter weight" guys to be effective.
Although I'm concerned with their recent player acquisitions, l'll wait and see what they do in the draft before going into full melt-down mode.
I'm trying to do the same but my instinct is to bitch first and ask questions later.

weazel
04-02-2015, 04:35 PM
I'm trying to do the same but my instinct is to bitch first and ask questions later.

hence the nickname

Simple Jaded
04-02-2015, 04:59 PM
hence the nickname

I resemble that remark.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-02-2015, 07:46 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Gino Gradkowski's excitement at joining the Broncos was palpable as he strolled the halls at Dove Valley on Thursday.
It's a new team in a new city -- but just like his old club, it's among the AFC's elite and on the short list of legitimate Super Bowl contenders. It a chance for a fresh start with familiar coaches watching him: Gary Kubiak and Rick Dennison, who worked under John Harbaugh on the Ravens' staff last year.

But it's also a chance to put a frustrating 2014 behind him.

Although his growth on the practice field last year led to the Broncos' decision to acquire him in a deal that saw an exchange of third-day draft picks, the 2014 season was nevertheless the most frustrating of Gradkowski's three years to date.

He played in just eight games last year and saw 10 offensive snaps in 2014, one year after starting all 16 games. He improved as 2013 progressed, cutting the sacks and pressures allowed in the second half of the year, but it was not enough to prevent the Ravens from trading for Jeremy Zuttah last offseason.

When Zuttah arrived, Gradkowski's playing time evaporated.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Gino-Gradkowski-arrives-with-a-chip-on-my-shoulder/ff9bd9b1-5f78-4a2f-a6d2-e4fdcde794ab

Simple Jaded
04-02-2015, 10:20 PM
Maybe that chip on his shoulder can help his T-Rex arm length.