PDA

View Full Version : No one wants Wes Welker, the anti-Chris Borland

OrangeHoof
03-31-2015, 12:02 AM
http://nypost.com/2015/03/18/no-one-wants-wes-welker-the-anti-chris-borland/

San Francisco 49ers linebacker Chris Borland walked away from the NFL at the age of 24 for fear of head injuries (http://nypost.com/2015/03/17/rash-of-early-nfl-retirements-provokes-fear-mongers-kudos/), despite not having a diagnosed concussion for a decade. And then there’s Wes Welker, the anti-Borland, a wideout with a disturbing array of concussions who isn’t ready to quit. “As long as I’ve recovered the right way and everything like that, I’m ready to go,” Welker told ESPN in December. (http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12046903/is-denver-broncos-wes-welker-putting-future-danger) “I really don’t see any problem with it.’’
But apparently the rest of the NFL sees what Welker doesn’t. Pro Football Talk reported the receiver has “generated no buzz” on the free-agent market (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/17/some-veteran-receivers-are-getting-no-sniffs/). Welker, who will turn 34 in May, is a shadow of the player he once was after sustaining three concussions in a 10-month span.

LOL. The anti-Borland. :lol:

DenBronx
03-31-2015, 12:27 AM
Come back Wes if you are cleared and still want to play!

Rick
03-31-2015, 06:43 AM
Don't come back Wes if you are cleared and still want to play!

tomjonesrocks
03-31-2015, 06:54 AM
Swearinger and his "the results are the results" comments still piss me off.

BroncoWave
03-31-2015, 07:31 AM
Come back Wes if you are cleared and still want to play!

Why? He sucks as a player now and will further damage his long term health by continuing to play. He would be a total waste of a roster spot.

Buff
03-31-2015, 09:36 AM
Sports columnist Jeff Pearlman wrote: “I don’t think you’re courageous. Or tough. I think you’re f—ing stupid. … Wes, you’re a young guy, and you need to retire right now.’’

Who the **** does Pearlman think he is? The science is spotty and incomplete at best. It's one thing to think that Welker should retire for his own good - but where does the animosity come from? I don't understand why all the arm chair doctors feel so passionate about Welker's brain health. How about the dozens of other NFL players who have multiple concussions. Why is nobody trying to save them?

Ravage!!!
03-31-2015, 09:48 AM
Who the **** does Pearlman think he is? The science is spotty and incomplete at best. It's one thing to think that Welker should retire for his own good - but where does the animosity come from? I don't understand why all the arm chair doctors feel so passionate about Welker's brain health. How about the dozens of other NFL players who have multiple concussions. Why is nobody trying to save them?

I agree. I can see saying, "hey, I don't think you are good enough to play in the NFL any longer so I dont' want you on my team"...but this BS berrating him and telling him he should retire because "its best for his health" junk is pretty insulting.

Who are we to tell another guy that he needs to quit? If I'm a GM, I certainly have the right to pass on hiring him, but this standing up uproar on telling a guy to quit doing what he wants to do because "golly gee, we are just looking out for your health" sounds patronizing at best.

OrangeHoof
03-31-2015, 09:59 AM
Jeff Pearlman is a scumbag pedophile* who makes things up about people in sports he doesn't like - sort of a meaner Skip Bayless.

ShaneFalco
03-31-2015, 10:02 AM
Wes was wide open on some plays last season. Manning did not hit him. I was very surprised. Especially with the rams game i have on DVR.

ShaneFalco
03-31-2015, 10:03 AM
btw i think the anti borland is Collie.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/other-side-of-concussion-issue--austin-collie-can-t-find-nfl-work-205102198.html

underrated29
03-31-2015, 10:05 AM
I'd love Wes back. He was constantly open last year despite Adam gases claim he wasn't. Go look at any game practically. He did his job like normal. Only this time none of the passes were called to go his way......remember Adam only called sideline routes and what not. The middle of the field was a no no for him. That's also were Wes plays. That said, manny s will move into the slot a lot this year so we won't really need Wes, but I'd love him back for depth and because he is a great player and by all accounts teammate.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-31-2015, 10:33 AM
I'd love Wes back. He was constantly open last year despite Adam gases claim he wasn't. Go look at any game practically. He did his job like normal. Only this time none of the passes were called to go his way......remember Adam only called sideline routes and what not. The middle of the field was a no no for him. That's also were Wes plays. That said, manny s will move into the slot a lot this year so we won't really need Wes, but I'd love him back for depth and because he is a great player and by all accounts teammate.

Who is manny s?

SR
03-31-2015, 10:47 AM
Who is manny s?

Emmanuel Sanders

Northman
03-31-2015, 11:21 AM
I wont say whether Wes needs to retire or not but i hope he is giving it some good thought. But, i dont think he has it anymore and agree with Wave that it would be a total waste of a roster spot at this juncture. Its easy to pick out a game here or there and claim he was open every time he took the field but we arent the coaches who see his day to day activity let alone every single play and every single moment. Add in his tendency to be injured the last couple of years i would much rather save the roster spot for a player who will see the field more.

underrated29
03-31-2015, 11:49 AM
I wont say whether Wes needs to retire or not but i hope he is giving it some good thought. But, i dont think he has it anymore and agree with Wave that it would be a total waste of a roster spot at this juncture. Its easy to pick out a game here or there and claim he was open every time he took the field but we arent the coaches who see his day to day activity let alone every single play and every single moment. Add in his tendency to be injured the last couple of years i would much rather save the roster spot for a player who will see the field more.

I cant disagree with you north but it is not a game here and there. It was nearly all games. Sadly, since my gf accidentally deleted my DVR stash I cannot go back and triple check each and every game this offseason like I usually do, but I am pretty confident it was most all games. That said, we wont have a real need for him with DT, ES moving into slot when we go 3wide and Latimer. But he makes good cheap depth, better than caldwell. But we also have Bennie Fowler who is bigger and slower but I like him a lot from the PS last year. He may make the jump as well as Norwood the guy who was doing awesome on KR/PR before he broke his ACL

sneakers
04-01-2015, 05:31 AM
Give it up Wes, your helmet can't get any bigger

Ravage!!!
04-01-2015, 01:35 PM
I cant disagree with you north but it is not a game here and there. It was nearly all games. Sadly, since my gf accidentally deleted my DVR stash I cannot go back and triple check each and every game this offseason like I usually do, but I am pretty confident it was most all games. That said, we wont have a real need for him with DT, ES moving into slot when we go 3wide and Latimer. But he makes good cheap depth, better than caldwell. But we also have Bennie Fowler who is bigger and slower but I like him a lot from the PS last year. He may make the jump as well as Norwood the guy who was doing awesome on KR/PR before he broke his ACL

Butyou aren't making pre-snap reads and know where the BEST place to throw the ball based on coverage. The defenders are reacting to what they see on the field as well. It may look as though "Wes was WIDE OPEN"...but the truth is that he wouldn't have been had the looks gone his direction.

I personally think Wes is slow, and doesn't have separation. His "head bob" faking as though he's "blazing hard" isn't working. I admire Wes for wanting to continue his career, but at this juncture in his career...he isn't threatening anyone from the slot. Thus, his limited number of throws and catches. He's just not that guy anymore.