PDA

View Full Version : Thomas to skip Broncos' offseason program

ShaneFalco
03-30-2015, 10:25 PM
Assigned the $12.823 million franchise tag early this month, Demaryius Thomas plans to treat this offseason differently.

Thomas told ESPN.com's Jeff Legwold on Monday that he will not participate in Peyton Manning's annual Duke University passing academy or join Denver Broncos teammates for the offseason program.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000482548/article/demaryius-thomas-to-skip-broncos-offseason-program

MOtorboat
03-30-2015, 10:40 PM
What a shitty offseason.

Pay ******* someone. Not just some washed up tight end. This is ridiculous.

SR
03-30-2015, 10:56 PM
Repost

ShaneFalco
03-30-2015, 11:33 PM
Repost

my bad if someone did already. I just saw on NFL.com

Ziggy
03-30-2015, 11:56 PM
Can't blame him. He's about to get paid if he can stay healthy. I'd skip the workouts as well.

BroncoWave
03-31-2015, 07:33 AM
What a shitty offseason.

It's ok though, because we kept our 39 year old QB! Even if we had to nuke half our team to do it!

VonDoom
03-31-2015, 09:17 AM
This is a non-story, TBH. He's using some of the only small leverage he has left, and it's pretty standard for players in his position (tagged, but having not yet signed the tag) to do exactly what he is doing.

GEM
03-31-2015, 09:34 AM
What a shitty offseason.

The pendulum sure swung to the other side for you, Mo. :laugh:

Trust the team, trust the record.

**** the team and their old qb, wtf are they thinking.

:lol:

Buff
03-31-2015, 09:49 AM
I get it - I don't really fault DT... But it's still disappointing if we are really gearing up for one final run under Manning. You'd like your #1 WR and your HOF QB to be in total lockstep.

That said, if he is still nursing an Achilles injury then I'm not sure how much work they'd have gotten in anyway. And now we're running the Kubiak offense, so probably not quite as crucial to be running all of Manning's route tree as in previous years.

weazel
03-31-2015, 09:57 AM
close to 13 million a year isn't bad... almost making what the overpaid QB is, whats the problem?

ShaneFalco
03-31-2015, 10:01 AM
it wasnt such a shitty offseason. I got all As in my classes :)

MOtorboat
03-31-2015, 10:41 AM
The pendulum sure swung to the other side for you, Mo. :laugh:

Trust the team, trust the record.

**** the team and their old qb, wtf are they thinking.

:lol:

Would you like to recap all of the talent from the three teams that won the division and made a Super Bowl that are being allowed to walk? Plus alienating your best receiver, an elite guy, and forcing your Hall of Fame quarterback to take a straight up pay cut?

This isn't good business, IMO.

GEM
03-31-2015, 10:43 AM
Would you like to recap all of the talent from the three teams that won the division and made a Super Bowl that are being allowed to walk? Plus alienating your best receiver, an elite guy, and forcing your Hall of Fame quarterback to take a straight up pay cut?

This isn't good business, IMO.

I agree with that completely. I just thought it was funny that just a short amount of time ago you were the one jumping on anyone that said anything negative. It's a complete pendulum swing.

MOtorboat
03-31-2015, 10:46 AM
I agree with that completely. I just thought it was funny that just a short amount of time ago you were the one jumping on anyone that said anything negative. It's a complete pendulum swing.

I still think we shouldn't expect anything but a division title. The rest of the division still isn't very good and Manning is by far the best quarterback in the division. As I've said before, I'm satisfied with that and think it's a good season, but I'm still frustrated with this offseason.

SR
03-31-2015, 10:46 AM
Would you like to recap all of the talent from the three teams that won the division and made a Super Bowl that are being allowed to walk? Plus alienating your best receiver, an elite guy, and forcing your Hall of Fame quarterback to take a straight up pay cut? This isn't good business, IMO.

Sure doesn't look good on the surface

GEM
03-31-2015, 10:53 AM
I still think we shouldn't expect anything but a division title. The rest of the division still isn't very good and Manning is by far the best quarterback in the division. As I've said before, I'm satisfied with that and think it's a good season, but I'm still frustrated with this offseason.
I just wonder what Manning has to be thinking. I took a pay cut, for what?

And then I wonder why they didn't ask for more from Manning. He obviously couldn't get it done with all that talent around him, he sure as hell isn't going to be able to get it done with less talent around him, take a bigger paycut or move on to the Oz era. I don't see it being a big year for us with the Oline we have in place. I think Fox made some stupid moves with personnel and veterans, but would a coach really keep players off the field if they were better than what you have? Especially in this age where no coach is safe, other than Bill Belichick.

DenBronx
03-31-2015, 11:41 AM
What a shitty offseason.

I dont know why we couldn't of gave him a new deal in the first place?

Dude is a beast and gives it his all on the field. I'd actually like some of my favorite Broncos to still be here post Manning era.

BroncoWave
03-31-2015, 12:18 PM
Given our cap situation this year, you can't have it both ways. Either keep Manning and lose all your free agents to do it, or let him go, bring everyone else back, and start the Oz era with a great core of talent. Bringing back Manning is what most of you wanted, so this is the cost of that move.

Ziggy
03-31-2015, 12:29 PM
I dont know why we couldn't of gave him a new deal in the first place?

Dude is a beast and gives it his all on the field. I'd actually like some of my favorite Broncos to still be here post Manning era.

Well, on most plays anyways.

watch?v=vBzOSMCTKEI

DenBronx
03-31-2015, 12:37 PM
Given our cap situation this year, you can't have it both ways. Either keep Manning and lose all your free agents to do it, or let him go, bring everyone else back, and start the Oz era with a great core of talent. Bringing back Manning is what most of you wanted, so this is the cost of that move.

Nope don't buy that at all when Knighton when for only 4 mill. The exact amount Manning took a paycut for. When you only keep Virgil Green then that's a huge downer. He was our big ticket FA this offseason?

I do think we get some bargains post draft though so we still have time...

weazel
03-31-2015, 12:38 PM
he don't get paid 13 million to block! Let the lesser paid do that

Krugan
03-31-2015, 12:55 PM
I just wonder what Manning has to be thinking. I took a pay cut, for what?

And then I wonder why they didn't ask for more from Manning. He obviously couldn't get it done with all that talent around him, he sure as hell isn't going to be able to get it done with less talent around him, take a bigger paycut or move on to the Oz era. I don't see it being a big year for us with the Oline we have in place. I think Fox made some stupid moves with personnel and veterans, but would a coach really keep players off the field if they were better than what you have? Especially in this age where no coach is safe, other than Bill Belichick.

Manning was coming back somewhere, he isnt sitting to close to the all time passing yards record to not give it another go.

I will agree that MORE would have been better.

But either you pay him what elite QB's get or you start Oz. Im fine either way, but it doesnt seem like we are built for the big push this year.

Krugan
03-31-2015, 12:57 PM
Nope don't buy that at all when Knighton when for only 4 mill. The exact amount Manning took a paycut for. When you only keep Virgil Green then that's a huge downer. He was our big ticket FA this offseason?

Harris and DT are our big ticket free agents this year,

Dont forget harris got a extension during the season.

weazel
03-31-2015, 12:57 PM
nope, they're built to be a team that could win their division (I don't think they do) and then be a middle of the pack playoff contender with very little hope of winning two games.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-31-2015, 01:02 PM
For me - with a new HC, new offense, I will wait and see. Kubes' offense is more than just putting all the pressure on a QB, which just might help Manning and the offense. Running will be more, or equal to passing. IMO, it will be a more rounded offense under Kubes and Co.

GEM
03-31-2015, 01:26 PM

Knighton was looking at $7-9mil when he started. Now when the price came back down, we should have tried to get him back in the fold....but most of the time when your employer tells you that you aren't worth what you think you're worth, you usually try to find new employment because the rifts that were caused.

GEM
03-31-2015, 01:27 PM
Manning was coming back somewhere, he isnt sitting to close to the all time passing yards record to not give it another go.

I will agree that MORE would have been better.

But either you pay him what elite QB's get or you start Oz. Im fine either way, but it doesnt seem like we are built for the big push this year.

Then it's wasted. If the end goal isn't a Super Bowl and the end goal is getting a QB some records, the team doesn't really matter anymore, we're working for 1 player.

BroncoJoe
03-31-2015, 01:41 PM

This. The biggest whiners about the lack of activity during the offseason are the ones who were screaming for Manning to come back and play. For $20 million. Ok, $16 million, with the chance to recoup the $4 million with a SB championship.

WAY too much for a 39 year old QB considering what we had to give up. I don't see Manning having a "great" year this year. Just a feeling, and I hope I'm wrong.

DenBronx
03-31-2015, 01:43 PM
It's always a great sign when one of your healthy franchise players skips these kind of things.

:rolleyes:

MOtorboat
03-31-2015, 01:44 PM
This. The biggest whiners about the lack of activity during the offseason are the ones who were screaming for Manning to come back and play. For $20 million. Ok, $16 million, with the chance to recoup the $4 million with a SB championship.

WAY too much for a 39 year old QB considering what we had to give up. I don't see Manning having a "great" year this year. Just a feeling, and I hope I'm wrong.

He's now under compensated based on his performance. Who is whining?

GEM
03-31-2015, 01:45 PM
It's always a great sign when one of your healthy franchise players skips these kind of things.

:rolleyes:

He's not healthy according to him, his achilles is giving him trouble still. Even if he were, he wouldn't show up. He wants a long term deal, we gave him a one year deal to which he doesn't have to sign right away and because he currently isn't under contract, why would he show up? If he got a career ending injury, we wouldn't still pay him.

DenBronx
03-31-2015, 01:48 PM

Knighton was looking at $7-9mil when he started. Now when the price came back down, we should have tried to get him back in the fold....but most of the time when your employer tells you that you aren't worth what you think you're worth, you usually try to find new employment because the rifts that were caused.

Ok I agree with that last part. But did we even try when it was late in the game? I didnt find any reports that we did. I kept reading how it was time for Sly to step up. But 4 mill??? That's a steal....heck even 5-6 mill for a DT that made a huge impact for us on D.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-31-2015, 02:15 PM
some things from article:

Terrance Knighton signed a one-year, $4 million contract to join the Washington Redskins on Thursday.

It is a team-friendly friendly deal, with earnings potential based on Pot Roast keeping his weight in check over the course of the season. Despite being considered a team leader and quality locker room figure respected by his teammates, those in charge decided there was no more room for leftovers in Denver.

Oakland and Chicago, headed by former Broncos coaches John Fox and Jack Del Rio, also passed on Knighton, which is a strong indictment against him and demonstrated the concerns teams (including Denver) had with his dedication to keeping in shape to participate in a higher amount of snap counts for the forthcoming season.

The Broncos allowing Knighton to serve up his dinner plate elsewhere is a decision many fans are beginning to question, but is a good gamble moving forward.

The spotlight of my argument comes from taking a look at the history of Wade Phillips' 3-4 defense and whether Knighton would have fit into that picture. Foremost, Phillip's 3-4 defense isn’t the traditional two-gap "read and react" system that is proliferated among the ranks of the NFL. A two-gap scheme will require nose tackles to take up blockers, allowing for greater play-making mobility from its linebackers.

full article - http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/3/15/8206603/no-more-room-for-leftovers