PDA

View Full Version : Manning's Place May be on the Bench -- How's That for Click-bait?

NightTrainLayne
03-25-2015, 01:03 PM
Blame the Post, I didn't come up with the headline. :D

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27780216/peyton-mannings-place-may-be-bench

Still, Broncos coach Gary Kubiak has held preliminary talks with Manning about having the quarterback save his mind and body for spells during the 2015 season.

Backup quarterback Brock Osweiler is young and eager to play after serving a three-season apprenticeship as Manning's understudy.

"I think as a coach you have to make those suggestions to players," Kubiak said Tuesday during the AFC coaches' breakfast at the Arizona Biltmore resort, where the league is holding its annual league meetings. "But sometimes with the great ones, the reason they're great is you have to battle them on things like that because they're used to being a part of it every day.

"I want to do what's best for him. I went through the same process with John (Elway) late in his career, and it was a battle for me and Mike (Shanahan) to do some things with him."

I wrote in a few of my posts at the end of the season that if Manning were to come back, that he would have to understand that limiting wear and tear on his body would need to be a priority. We don't need him so much when we're up 3 scores in September, as we do in January. I am glad to see that Kubiak and Elway are apparently going to apply some pressure in this direction.

I know Manning will fight it, and that's part of what makes him great. But at this juncture of his career, keeping him as close to 100% efficiency in the playoffs as we can is more important than taking every snap in training camp and pre-season, practice all week, and games where our lead is safe. We need to let Oz take up some of the slack, which not coincidentally benefits the team's long-term outlook.

Northman
03-25-2015, 01:20 PM
Totally agree with you NTL.

Cugel
03-25-2015, 07:18 PM
I don't think there's anybody who would disagree with the concept, as a concept. But, I'll be flabbergasted if Peyton allows it to happen. He's going to strap on his helmet and get back in there. Will they rest him if the team is up 3 TDs in the 3rd Quarter? Perhaps.

But, there's going to be controversy, and I'm betting that it just won't happen very much. All it will take is 1 game where they take Peyton out and Brock blows a lead. . . and that will be the end of that particular experiment. Can you imagine the recriminations if fans have to think "we could have gotten home field advantage if they would have won 1 more game, and they would have won that game if only they hadn't put Brock in to throw those 2 stupid picks in the 4th quarter."

A rookie is going to make rookie mistakes. And Peyton's last year when they are trying to win a SB is really not the time for them. Still, I can see the advantage of getting a better look at Brock in some games. But, I think about 1 quarter is all the look it's going to take to convince a LOT of Broncos fans to let Brock walk at the end of the 2015 season.

NightTrainLayne
03-26-2015, 10:43 AM
I don't think there's anybody who would disagree with the concept, as a concept. But, I'll be flabbergasted if Peyton allows it to happen. He's going to strap on his helmet and get back in there. Will they rest him if the team is up 3 TDs in the 3rd Quarter? Perhaps.

But, there's going to be controversy, and I'm betting that it just won't happen very much. All it will take is 1 game where they take Peyton out and Brock blows a lead. . . and that will be the end of that particular experiment. Can you imagine the recriminations if fans have to think "we could have gotten home field advantage if they would have won 1 more game, and they would have won that game if only they hadn't put Brock in to throw those 2 stupid picks in the 4th quarter."

A rookie is going to make rookie mistakes. And Peyton's last year when they are trying to win a SB is really not the time for them. Still, I can see the advantage of getting a better look at Brock in some games. But, I think about 1 quarter is all the look it's going to take to convince a LOT of Broncos fans to let Brock walk at the end of the 2015 season.

I think the biggest and best thing that the team can do is to limit Manning's reps in practice and through training camp. Keep him on a limited pitch count so to speak.

Manning throws the ball more than anyone. And I'm not just talking in the game. In pre-game warmups he is a fanatic. During the game he starts throwing if the other team doesn't convert on 2nd down. I can only imagine all the practice reps he takes through training camp etc. It's part of what makes him great, but at his age it also appears to be taking a toll.

I'm not sure we'll have very many opportunities to consider removing him during games. The NFL is just too competitive. But limiting reps the rest of the time needs to be part of the plan. He simply appears to be wearing himself out.

NightTerror218
03-26-2015, 12:41 PM
I think it us a great idea. Don't need manning playing a whole fame to end up besting teams 55-7 (oakland). Manning always want to be on field. I think more breaks will help him out

tomjonesrocks
03-26-2015, 01:11 PM
It's a great idea but I think games will be much closer this season. I don't think we're going to see the scoring we are accustomed to.

Only way it happens is if Manning is really dinged up and they force him to sit. I think real "garbage time" situations will be nearly nonexistent.

NightTerror218
03-27-2015, 12:43 AM
It's a great idea but I think games will be much closer this season. I don't think we're going to see the scoring we are accustomed to.

Only way it happens is if Manning is really dinged up and they force him to sit. I think real "garbage time" situations will be nearly nonexistent.

Unless defense is solid and holds teams under 14 a game (top defenses do this)

SR
03-27-2015, 12:50 AM
Unless defense is solid and holds teams under 14 a game (top defenses do this)

I think the Broncos defensive personnel are better suited for a 3-4 so hopefully the transition for the front seven isn't too bad.