PDA

View Full Version : Gary Kubiak offers clean slate, big challenge to Broncos' linemen

Denver Native (Carol)
03-25-2015, 10:19 AM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- With the official opening of the Denver Broncos’ offseason program still three weeks away, coach Gary Kubiak can’t say how the team’s offensive line will look, but he can guarantee one thing awaits all those involved.

And that’s a clean slate.

Kubiak said Tuesday at the NFL owners meetings in Phoenix that strengthening the team’s offensive front is still a priority and the returning players from last year’s group will get a fresh start.

Asked Tuesday where things stood in the offensive line at the moment, Kubiak quickly said Ryan Clady is the team’s left tackle, Louis Vasquez is, as expected, going back to right guard where he was a first-team All-Pro in 2013 and that Manny Ramirez could be in the competition at center.

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/12554/gary-kubiak-offers-clean-slate-big-challenge-to-broncos-linemen?src=mobile&rand=ref~{%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FTiUXD Yl156%22}

not sure why link will not post right - this is under Legwold's twitter

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 2h 2 hours ago

From this A.M.: #Broncos coach Gary Kubiak gives OL a clean slate, big challenges -- http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=denver-broncos&

Northman
03-25-2015, 11:23 AM
Continued fan meltdown in 3...2...1....

SR
03-25-2015, 11:29 AM
Continued fan meltdown in 3...2...1....

I don't mind ManRam

spikerman
03-25-2015, 11:40 AM
I still wouldn't mind Gibbs coming in to help install the ZBS scheme for the offensive line.

GEM
03-25-2015, 05:35 PM
Manram...****. :rolleyes:

Cugel
03-25-2015, 07:00 PM
In early November, as their struggles up front continued to grow, the Broncos moved Vasquez from right guard to right tackle, moved Ramirez from center to right guard, and moved Will Montgomery from a backup role to center. The lineup stayed that way for the remainder of the season, but at times the Broncos simply could not repair their issues in pass protection, particularly in the middle of the formation.

The Broncos also saw their running backs being hit at or behind the line of scrimmage on a third of their carries, and Kubiak said the Broncos will have an eye on the position in the draft and free agency, including Montgomery.

“Obviously we have to get better up front,’’ Kubiak said. “ … But we think a lot of the young guys, we really do.’’

That's about as honest a portrayal of the total cluster-bomb that was the Broncos OL situation in 2014 as I've seen. The OL has sucked monkey balls for the past 2 seasons and that was the main reason the post-season ended in bitter failure both times.

The desperate need for this team was to go out and get some STUDS for the OL who would give Peyton a chance to have some time to throw. Instead we have "we believe in the rookies" like Schofield and Paradis. Well, tell me when was the last time a team won the SB with a bunch of rookies and guys who have never started a game, on their OL? What's that? Never? :coffee:

Meanwhile the Colts, who ended the season better than the Broncos have signed seemingly every FA under the sun. The Seahawks who came within 1 yard of winning the SB, and were significantly better than the Broncos in 2014, just re-signed everybody of importance on their team and added Super-Star TE Jimmy Graham, who will present matchup nightmares for any team that faces them this year . . . which will not include the Broncos.

Meanwhile the Broncos took several steps backward, losing key starters from a year ago including TE Julius Thomas, NT Pot-Roast, LB Nate Irving, S Rahim Moore, and OG Orlando Franklin. While JT wanted too much money, and Moore got a raise he probably wasn't worth, you can't say the same about Pot-Roast or Nate Irving, either or both of whom could have been had for not very much money.

Yes, there is still the draft, but no rookie is going to make a significant impact his first year - and his first year is all Peyton has left. Color me not at all impressed with the Broncos off-season. Would any of you honestly bet $1 on the chances of this this team winning at Indy or New England in the playoffs next season?

SR
03-25-2015, 08:13 PM
You're right. No rookies will make a significant impact. Von Miller was terrible as a rookie. So was Bradley Roby. So was Derek Wolfe. Zero impact.

Simple Jaded
03-25-2015, 11:04 PM
This is great news, according to popular opinion you don't have to be any good to play in a ZBS.

Fire Bronc
03-25-2015, 11:21 PM
That's about as honest a portrayal of the total cluster-bomb that was the Broncos OL situation in 2014 as I've seen. The OL has sucked monkey balls for the past 2 seasons and that was the main reason the post-season ended in bitter failure both times.

The desperate need for this team was to go out and get some STUDS for the OL who would give Peyton a chance to have some time to throw. Instead we have "we believe in the rookies" like Schofield and Paradis. Well, tell me when was the last time a team won the SB with a bunch of rookies and guys who have never started a game, on their OL? What's that? Never? :coffee:

Meanwhile the Colts, who ended the season better than the Broncos have signed seemingly every FA under the sun. The Seahawks who came within 1 yard of winning the SB, and were significantly better than the Broncos in 2014, just re-signed everybody of importance on their team and added Super-Star TE Jimmy Graham, who will present matchup nightmares for any team that faces them this year . . . which will not include the Broncos.

Meanwhile the Broncos took several steps backward, losing key starters from a year ago including TE Julius Thomas, NT Pot-Roast, LB Nate Irving, S Rahim Moore, and OG Orlando Franklin. While JT wanted too much money, and Moore got a raise he probably wasn't worth, you can't say the same about Pot-Roast or Nate Irving, either or both of whom could have been had for not very much money.

Yes, there is still the draft, but no rookie is going to make a significant impact his first year - and his first year is all Peyton has left. Color me not at all impressed with the Broncos off-season. Would any of you honestly bet $1 on the chances of this this team winning at Indy or New England in the playoffs next season?

Didn't the Seahawks and Pats each have a rookie starting on the O lines in the super bowl?

WARHORSE
03-26-2015, 12:13 AM

Not sure why you say that. Ryan Clady gave up less than half a sack his entire rookie season and was named the third best Tackle in the league making second team ALL PRO. He only had three penalties the whole season. Beginning of the 2009 season, he was named the best tackle in football.

Look at Dallas Oline.....the Eagles Oline....if you check the rookie linemen each year that make an impact, there are many in the league.

SR
03-26-2015, 12:20 AM
Didn't the Seahawks and Pats each have a rookie starting on the O lines in the super bowl?

Can't be. Rookies don't make an impact.

TXBRONC
03-26-2015, 07:29 AM

You don't know if a rookie can an impact or not Cugel. Miller and Roby have already been mentioned and as far offensive line Clady was starter from day one. Yes it was years ago but the fact rookie can often do make an impact.

Northman
03-26-2015, 08:39 AM
You don't know if a rookie can an impact or not Cugel. Miller and Roby have already been mentioned and as far offensive line Clady was starter from day one. Yes it was years ago but the fact rookie can often do make an impact.

No one knows more than Cugel, just ask him. lmao

VonDoom
03-26-2015, 08:39 AM
“Obviously our left tackle [Clady], Manny Ramirez and … Vasquez -- those guys have been pretty much staples of what’s going on,’’ Kubiak said to the media at the AFC coaches’ breakfast. “ … I would say those three guys have been anchors in what they’ve been doing and then from there we’re going to have to have a very competitive situation.’’

Maybe he only watched film from 2013? God, Ramirez ... he should have been cut weeks ago, and now he's a "staple" of the o-line?

underrated29
03-26-2015, 10:42 AM
We need manram to run C for 1st,2nd, or 3rd team in TC....If not we will have to draft several of them. We need 15 lineman to run all 3 teams in TC....Right now we have 10 and are waiting on the likes of Wisnewski and myers.....We will probably sign one more vet and drat a few as well as UDfas.

That is the reason why clark and manram are still here. If they make it out of camp is an entirely different scenario- one that is very unlikely...Well for Manram imo anyway. I bet Clark makes it. He seems more agile and fleet of foot to be a backup in Zone.

Cugel
03-27-2015, 06:59 PM
Apparently, some people never get the word:

The past five drafts boast 22 first-round tackles. The hits feature Philadelphia's Lane Johnson and Dallas front-end loader Tyron Smith. But the misfires are alarming, including three highly touted rookies last season: the Rams' Greg Robinson, the Falcons' Jake Matthews and the Dolphins' Ja'Wuan James. All three received negative grades from Pro Football Focus, ranking near the bottom at their position.

It's an unsettling thought given the conversation that surrounds tackles, a position long considered the easiest in which to insert a rookie without much hand-wringing. The story line, though, has changed. The league's evolution into a pass-happy medium has directly impacted the value of tackles, who typically require at least a year of seasoning. Bears coach John Fox says the tackle vs. edge pass rusher is the league's greatest mismatch: oversized pylons attempting to stop Ferraris.

Into this backdrop likely will step a rookie asked to learn Broncos coach Gary Kubiak's zone-blocking scheme while keeping 39-year-old Peyton Manning upright.

"Right tackle, we've got some issues (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27795885/touted-offensive-tackles-no-sure-things-nfl-draft)," Kubiak said this week at the NFL owners meetings in Phoenix. "We have to get better up front."

The chances of finding a Ryan Clady at #28 in the draft are not tip-top. And, while he was adequate his first season, that was with Cutler, a QB with a much stronger arm and greater mobility than Peyton "statute" Manning (although a dumb-ass admittedly). A lot less fragile too, than the 39 year old.

Most of the T's on that list were taken in the top 1/2 of the first round too. The Broncos could possibly trade up by packaging some of their picks. I would expect them to consider it. But, I still don't think you can expect any rookie RT to step into this offense and be a SB starting RT in his rookie year.

I'm not against drafting a RT. I think they need to do it. But, they need a stud veteran RT even more.

Cugel
03-27-2015, 07:03 PM
Maybe he only watched film from 2013? God, Ramirez ... he should have been cut weeks ago, and now he's a "staple" of the o-line?

That's a pretty short synopsis of the problem. If they can make something good out of Ramirez, then fine. But, I'm not holding my breath.

And saying to Chris Clark. "We're going to ignore the fact that you played your way out of a job last season and wound up the year on the bench. We're giving you a new chance" sounds great, but what if he still sucks this year? His competition is who exactly? Michael Schofield, who's been a total bust so far (was totally inactive on game day all year)?

This is not exactly confidence inspiring. It's meaningless to say "we have to do better." Well, duh. The question is, do you have the players to do better or are you stuck with the same bunch of stiffs who sucked all last season and who are going to suck again this year?

Simple Jaded
03-30-2015, 01:01 AM
2007 Guide: What Ourlads' NFL Scouting Services said about MANNY RAMIREZ:

"Texas Tech, 6030 326 5.19. Four-year starter. Athletic, physical, and competitive in his play. Durable. Has not missed any games due to injury. Explosive in the running game. Plays with leverage and works to finish his blocks. Big wide bodied guard that can pull and wall off in space. Leaks through and blocks on the second level and walls off linebackers. Gains depth on his kick. Plays the game on his feet. Needs to improve his pass blocking techniques. Will play tall at times. Needs to bend his knees consistently. Position wall off blocker. Majors in pass protection. Plays in a pre-set two point stance. Good feet with an explosive punch. Physical player that maintains a good base. Has the strength and the knee bend to anchor and hold his ground versus a bull rush. Quick enough to pull cut the down defensive lineman. Projects as a zone blocking guard that will maul defender. Powerful and explosive in his play. Athletic enough to be effective on the second level. Dominant player. Third/fourth round. (A-32 3/4, H-10 3/8, BP-40, 10-DNP)."

Simple Jaded
03-30-2015, 01:12 AM
Also, the scouting report on T.J Clemmings basically reads as "gifted athlete, dancing bear, long arms and great footwork, inexperienced former DL, may have to start career at RT". That's pretty much Clady's scouting report verbatim and Clemmings is currently projected to go 1-2 by some people, so finding Clady at 28 may not be so far fetched. Knock on wood.

Tned
03-30-2015, 07:37 AM
I don't mind ManRam

He was horrible at guard a few years ago, and then surprisingly good at center the year before last, and then struggled last year when he was once again moved to guard.

So, I'm good with Ramirez at center, just not guard.

VonDoom
03-30-2015, 10:43 AM
He was horrible at guard a few years ago, and then surprisingly good at center the year before last, and then struggled last year when he was once again moved to guard.

So, I'm good with Ramirez at center, just not guard.

If I remember correctly, he was pretty bad at center last year before the move mid-season. So he had one shockingly good year at center (2013) and nothing else good on his Bronco resume at either position.

Cugel
03-31-2015, 12:28 AM
If I remember correctly, he was pretty bad at center last year before the move mid-season. So he had one shockingly good year at center (2013) and nothing else good on his Bronco resume at either position.

I'm not sure why anybody would think that Manny's college resume is relevant at this point. We can see how he performed at the pro level the last couple of seasons. Not too well actually. Maybe a switch to the ZBS will help him.

But, you still need good OL to make that system work and the OL the Broncos have are all mediocre at best outside of (maybe) Clady and Vasquez (at G, not T).

Chris Clark is a career backup who failed miserably at RT last year and was benched. Now they're giving him another chance? Why? And Michael Schofield didn't even suit up once all year. What's so great about him? Hell when they were so desperate at Rt they even used Paul Cornick they STILL didn't put Schofield on the game day roster.

That may have been a source of conflict between Elway and Fox. Elway wanted to play "his guys", that he drafted and Fox (very obviously) thought they sucked and didn't want them. He couldn't cut them off the roster altogether with Elway invested in them, but he didn't have to play them and he didn't. So, they sat there all year and didn't get in a game.

So, this year Fox and Gase are gone and Elway wants to "give them a second chance." Well, maybe he's right and Fox is an idiot and Paradis and Schofield are going to be All Pro or something. But, maybe Fox is right and Elway just drafted a bunch of stiffs.