PDA

View Full Version : Broncos to get four compensatory picks

VonDoom
03-23-2015, 08:03 PM
We're getting a 4th, a 6th and two 7th rounders. Not much of a surprise at this point, though I think some projections had us getting another 6th instead of a 7th. Considering how few comp picks we had, and the quality FA we picked up last year, it's still pretty cool

VonDoom
03-23-2015, 08:11 PM
Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 10m10 minutes ago

With compensatory picks, the @Broncos' 2015 Draft haul now includes 10 selections: 1 each in Rounds 1, 2, 3 & 4; 2 each in Rounds 5, 6 & 7.

Patrick Smyth ‏@psmyth12 10m10 minutes ago

Broncos' four compensatory picks in 2015 NFL Draft: Rd 4-133, Rd 6-208, Rd 7-250, Rd 7-251.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-23-2015, 08:50 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000480988/article/chiefs-seahawks-broncos-lead-2015-compensatory-draft-picks

DenBronx
03-23-2015, 08:53 PM
We haven't had that many comp picks in a long time. Anything is better than nothing...

Dont get how the Pats always seem to get 3rd rounders every damn year though!

VonDoom
03-23-2015, 08:57 PM
We haven't had that many comp picks in a long time. Anything is better than nothing...

Dont get how the Pats always seem to get 3rd rounders every damn year though!

They know how to play the system, like the Ravens. This year they got the 3rd rounder for Talib

Simple Jaded
03-23-2015, 09:35 PM
Sweet that they got a 4th rounder, that's right in Denver's wheelhouse.

dogfish
03-23-2015, 09:54 PM
this should help a lot. . . this year's team is full of holes and has no depth at all. . . gonna need those picks to replentish our talent pool. . . still gotta hit on them, of course, but having more chances helps there too. . .

NightTerror218
03-23-2015, 10:22 PM
this should help a lot. . . this year's team is full of holes and has no depth at all. . . gonna need those picks to replentish our talent pool. . . still gotta hit on them, of course, but having more chances helps there too. . .

Or use to trade up in early rounds

Fire Bronc
03-23-2015, 11:01 PM

I must be looking at a completely different roster then you. Aside from the offensive line, I don't see any holes at all with our offensive or defensive starters, and I have faith in Elway and Kubes to take care of the O line issues. I am guessing there are probably 29 or 30 other teams in the league who would swap rosters with Denver in a heart beat. You can't have pro bowlers playing at every position.

dogfish
03-23-2015, 11:45 PM
I must be looking at a completely different roster then you. Aside from the offensive line, I don't see any holes at all with our offensive or defensive starters, and I have faith in Elway and Kubes to take care of the O line issues. I am guessing there are probably 29 or 30 other teams in the league who would swap rosters with Denver in a heart beat. You can't have pro bowlers playing at every position.

no way. . . just based on QB situation alone, that sounds far off. . . you really think a team with any decent QB would trade him for osweiler w/ a year of gramps manning just to get our corners in the deal?

we're going to use a fullback, and right now the only one we have on the roster is a possible position switch UDFA who's never played pro ball. . . we have a solid pair of TEs, but only two of 'em on the roster ATM. . . we start three wide receivers, and we only have two with NFL experience. . . our effective starting third WR is a redshirt freshman. . .the guys behind him are basically camp bodies as of right now-- not saying somebody like norwood can't work out, but you can't count on it. . . should we count the holes on the O-line? yea, nobody got time for that. . . but hey, we are good at RB, though. . .

if you count the end from KC against unrein, we're still down a nosetackle (really good one, too). . . we also lost nate irving, and haven't really replaced him (walker is a career backup/ special teams guy). . . and while i won't miss rahim, stewart looks like a wash at best. . . and we lost Q carter as well. . . we still don't have a third pass rusher who can effectively spell ware, let alone pick up any slack if he or von miss time. . .

really, i don't see where we DO have any legit depth besides RB and corner. . . maaaybe still the DL, IF everybody switches to the 34 effectively, sly steps up, and everyone stays healthy. . .

doesn't mean we won't still win the division, and no one's saying this team sucks by any means-- i personally think you're kidding yourself if you think we have good depth or few holes, but JMO. . . i can certainly count the times i've been right about the broncos much easier than the times i've been wrong. . . :laugh:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-23-2015, 11:53 PM
Maybe we can parlay a 5 and 6 into another 4th....or something along those lines. Amy more the 7th round picks haven't got much of a better chance to make the final roster than UDFA.

Rick
03-24-2015, 06:27 AM
We can't trade any of these picks.

I could see us trade some of our original picks however because of these extra picks.

Fire Bronc
03-24-2015, 09:57 AM
no way. . . just based on QB situation alone, that sounds far off. . . you really think a team with any decent QB would trade him for osweiler w/ a year of gramps manning just to get our corners in the deal?

we're going to use a fullback, and right now the only one we have on the roster is a possible position switch UDFA who's never played pro ball. . . we have a solid pair of TEs, but only two of 'em on the roster ATM. . . we start three wide receivers, and we only have two with NFL experience. . . our effective starting third WR is a redshirt freshman. . .the guys behind him are basically camp bodies as of right now-- not saying somebody like norwood can't work out, but you can't count on it. . . should we count the holes on the O-line? yea, nobody got time for that. . . but hey, we are good at RB, though. . .

if you count the end from KC against unrein, we're still down a nosetackle (really good one, too). . . we also lost nate irving, and haven't really replaced him (walker is a career backup/ special teams guy). . . and while i won't miss rahim, stewart looks like a wash at best. . . and we lost Q carter as well. . . we still don't have a third pass rusher who can effectively spell ware, let alone pick up any slack if he or von miss time. . .

really, i don't see where we DO have any legit depth besides RB and corner. . . maaaybe still the DL, IF everybody switches to the 34 effectively, sly steps up, and everyone stays healthy. . .

doesn't mean we won't still win the division, and no one's saying this team sucks by any means-- i personally think you're kidding yourself if you think we have good depth or few holes, but JMO. . . i can certainly count the times i've been right about the broncos much easier than the times i've been wrong. . . :laugh:

How many true fullbacks come out of college these days? They all end up as a position switch player. We do have a solid pair of tight ends, how many teams in this league are three deep in solid tight ends? At receiver, DT and Sanders are studs. Latimer is still unproven, but he is a physical freak with tremendous upside and great hands. Of course depth has to be developed at the position, but as I mentioned with the tight ends, how many teams are four and five deep in proven receivers? On defense we have two very good DE's, and Williams and Austin are both well suited to play the nose in Wade's 3/4 scheme. As has been mentioned in other threads and mentioned by Wade himself, he likes penetrating NTs, not the traditional wide bodies like Wilfork. Irving was not going to start at linebacker on this team. You are looking at Ware, Trevathan, Marshall and Miller at linebacker, with the only question mark being Trevathan's health. If Trevathan is healthy, that is a very solid if not outstanding linebacker group with depth players sitting behind them. Add to that one of the deepest defensive backfields in the league.

I am not saying we are deep with proven players at every position, but aside from the O line, we have one of the most talent laden starting offenses and defenses in the league. Do we have to develope some depth? of course we do, but we are no different then any team in the league in that aspect, you don't have pro bowlers sitting on the bench. In todays NFL you are always going to be "developing" depth and sitting with unproven players on the roster that you will have to count on at some point, or you are going to be in salary cap hell. Who was Chris Harris before he had a chance to prove himself? Brandon Marshall? Austin came off of the unwanted heap last year and played very well. CJ Anderson? unproven. How deep do you want this roster to be with stud, proven players, and how are you going to fit them under the cap? Give Elway and Kubiak some time, and give them some faith, they have earned it.

weazel
03-24-2015, 10:37 AM
How many true fullbacks come out of college these days? They all end up as a position switch player. We do have a solid pair of tight ends, how many teams in this league are three deep in solid tight ends? At receiver, DT and Sanders are studs. Latimer is still unproven, but he is a physical freak with tremendous upside and great hands. Of course depth has to be developed at the position, but as I mentioned with the tight ends, how many teams are four and five deep in proven receivers? On defense we have two very good DE's, and Williams and Austin are both well suited to play the nose in Wade's 3/4 scheme. As has been mentioned in other threads and mentioned by Wade himself, he likes penetrating NTs, not the traditional wide bodies like Wilfork. Irving was not going to start at linebacker on this team. You are looking at Ware, Trevathan, Marshall and Miller at linebacker, with the only question mark being Trevathan's health. If Trevathan is healthy, that is a very solid if not outstanding linebacker group with depth players sitting behind them. Add to that one of the deepest defensive backfields in the league.

I am not saying we are deep with proven players at every position, but aside from the O line, we have one of the most talent laden starting offenses and defenses in the league. Do we have to develope some depth? of course we do, but we are no different then any team in the league in that aspect, you don't have pro bowlers sitting on the bench. In todays NFL you are always going to be "developing" depth and sitting with unproven players on the roster that you will have to count on at some point, or you are going to be in salary cap hell. Who was Chris Harris before he had a chance to prove himself? Brandon Marshall? Austin came off of the unwanted heap last year and played very well. CJ Anderson? unproven. How deep do you want this roster to be with stud, proven players, and how are you going to fit them under the cap? Give Elway and Kubiak some time, and give them some faith, they have earned it.

some people are going to be really disappointed this season...

Fire Bronc
03-24-2015, 11:02 AM
some people are going to be really disappointed this season...

I have been watching the Broncos since Charlie Johnson was throwing the ball and Haven Moses was catching it, trust me, I know what disappointment is. Across the board, this team has as much talent as any team in the league. What is going to determine its success is how well it transitions into the new systems.

Ziggy
03-24-2015, 11:43 AM
I have been watching the Broncos since Charlie Johnson was throwing the ball and Haven Moses was catching it, trust me, I know what disappointment is. Across the board, this team has as much talent as any team in the league. What is going to determine its success is how well it transitions into the new systems.

That and the ability to keep Manning healthy. If he stays healthy this season, the Broncos are legit super bowl contenders again. People are going to be surprised at how good this defense is.

Lancane
03-24-2015, 02:41 PM

And if they can stay the standard as other teams improve around them, the AFCW has become far less pushovers as they were the previous four or five years.

vettesplus
03-25-2015, 11:48 AM
damn, you go back as far as I do.....:rockon:

VonDoom
03-25-2015, 01:12 PM
Well, this is a shame:

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 13m13 minutes ago Phoenix, AZ

NFL admitted messing up Broncos compensatory pick. 6th round pick no 208 overall is now no 250 in 7th round

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 3m3 minutes ago Phoenix, AZ

Broncos 4 compensatory picks - 4th round- no 133; 7th round- no 250, 251, 252

Rick
03-25-2015, 02:52 PM
Sucks but at least we still get to pick 3 basically undrafted quality players that can't say no to us and sign with someone else.

GEM
03-25-2015, 03:37 PM
How the **** do you mess that up??? And they wonder why people feel like the NFL is rigged.

VonDoom
03-25-2015, 03:54 PM
How the **** do you mess that up??? And they wonder why people feel like the NFL is rigged.

Since no one knows the exact formula, it's definitely something that can be criticized. A guy over at Over the Cap was projecting picks, and he thought the 6th rounder we got was the strangest one, one that he couldn't explain. So it looks like he was right - we shouldn't have gotten that pick after all.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-25-2015, 04:35 PM
Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 40m

A rundown of the #Broncos compensatory draft picks after the NFL made a change -- full story -- http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/12564/nfl-changes-one-of-broncos-compensatory-draft-picks …

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 2h

NFL called it "database error,'' #Broncos 6th round compensatory pick now moved to 7th round -- have picks 250, 251 and 252 overall in 7th

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 4h

Here's the complete NFL draft order -- http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=nflnation&id=165130&src=desktop …

DenBronx
03-25-2015, 05:36 PM
That's total bullshit.

NightTerror218
03-25-2015, 06:38 PM
I would not mind seeing Denver use comp picks to move up in like the second round if players fall out of first.

Like trading up for ILB Kendricks or McKinney in 2nd. Trade up like 8 spots ahead of teams that worked these guys out.

I know in some places we lack depth but not all over the baors. OL and LB are only thin places on roster now. Get OT round 1 and ILB round 2. I am not 100% on travathan and marshall as the two ILB next season. They are too similar of players and may not be able to get off blocks in running game. Irving type player will be wanted.

Rick
03-25-2015, 06:39 PM
I would not mind seeing Denver use comp picks to move up in like the second round if players fall out of first.

Like trading up for ILB Kendricks or McKinney in 2nd. Trade up like 8 spots ahead of teams that worked these guys out.

I know in some places we lack depth but not all over the baors. OL and LB are only thin places on roster now. Get OT round 1 and ILB round 2. I am not 100% on travathan and marshall as the two ILB next season. They are too similar of players and may not be able to get off blocks in running game. Irving type player will be wanted.

Comp picks aren't tradeable.

NightTerror218
03-25-2015, 06:41 PM
Comp picks aren't tradeable.

Not but the original round pick is

NightTerror218
03-25-2015, 06:42 PM
Not but the original round pick is

Use 5th and 6th to trade up. All comp picks are 7th rounders now except the 4th.

Rick
03-25-2015, 06:44 PM
Sorry got confused, thought you meant use the comp picks to move up.

I agree, with having the picks I could see them be more aggressive with the other picks.

SR
03-25-2015, 09:21 PM
I would not mind seeing Denver use comp picks to move up in like the second round if players fall out of first. Like trading up for ILB Kendricks or McKinney in 2nd. Trade up like 8 spots ahead of teams that worked these guys out. I know in some places we lack depth but not all over the baors. OL and LB are only thin places on roster now. Get OT round 1 and ILB round 2. I am not 100% on travathan and marshall as the two ILB next season. They are too similar of players and may not be able to get off blocks in running game. Irving type player will be wanted.

Why burn a second on a backer when we have Quanterus Smith who will transition to 3-4 OLB and learn from Ware, Barrow, McCray, and the dude we just grabbed on FA as backups? Using a second rounder on a higher priority position of need makes a lot more sense to me.

dogfish
03-25-2015, 10:45 PM
Why burn a second on a backer when we have Quanterus Smith who will transition to 3-4 OLB and learn from Ware, Barrow, McCray, and the dude we just grabbed on FA as backups? Using a second rounder on a higher priority position of need makes a lot more sense to me.

it is a position of high need. . . walker is a backup and special teamer, and smith has like zero plays to his name-- not saying he can't do it, but we could certainly use another talent there. . . if von went down, we could be boned. . . besides, how long does ware have left? totally makes sense to start looking now for the guy that's going to play across from von long term. . .

Fire Bronc
03-26-2015, 09:09 AM

We definitely go O line with the first pick. I am actually high on our linebacker depth, but if we do pick up another O lineman in free agency (Meyers maybe?), then I wouldn't have an issue using our second rounder to pick up a middle backer. If we don't pick up another O lineman in free agency, I would go O line with both our first and second round picks.

SR
03-26-2015, 09:14 AM
We definitely go O line with the first pick. I am actually high on our linebacker depth, but if we do pick up another O lineman in free agency (Meyers maybe?), then I wouldn't have an issue using our second rounder to pick up a middle backer. If we don't pick up another O lineman in free agency, I would go O line with both our first and second round picks.

We won't have a MLB in a 3-4, we will have two ILBs. And drafting the same position twice in two rounds isn't really a good strategy. I would rather go after an o-lineman round one and a safety round two, maybe a DT.

Rick
03-26-2015, 09:24 AM
totally makes sense to start looking now for the guy that's going to play across from von long term. . .

Mark it down, that guys name is McCray.

SR
03-26-2015, 09:54 AM
Mark it down, that guys name is McCray.

Or Quantarus Smith if he can come around. Similar size and skill set as Ware.

NightTerror218
03-26-2015, 10:23 AM
SR you must not have read my post all the way. I said OT in round one, trade up in second for an ILB.....not OLB.

SR
03-26-2015, 11:42 AM
SR you must not have read my post all the way. I said OT in round one, trade up in second for an ILB.....not OLB.

I read your post and replied accordingly. My Smith comment was directed at the poster I quoted.

NightTerror218
03-26-2015, 12:37 PM
I read your post and replied accordingly. My Smith comment was directed at the poster I quoted.

I made no mention of an OLB or adding one. Smith would be a OLB in 3-4.

SR
03-26-2015, 12:42 PM
I made no mention of an OLB or adding one. Smith would be a OLB in 3-4.

I never said you did dude. I was simply naming our linebackers and mentioned Smith making the transition to 3-4 OLB.

Fire Bronc
03-26-2015, 09:39 PM
We won't have a MLB in a 3-4, we will have two ILBs. And drafting the same position twice in two rounds isn't really a good strategy. I would rather go after an o-lineman round one and a safety round two, maybe a DT.

I realize we have two inside backers in a 3-4, just using a generic term, and drafting a guard/center and tackle with the first two picks wouldn't be drafting the same position twice. It would be shoring up the weakest part of the team where we will be looking at potentially three new starters. If we re sign Montgomery or sign Meyers, or if Kubiak is as high on Ramirez as he says he is, then drafting an interior lineman won't be as big of an issue.

SR
03-26-2015, 09:56 PM
I realize we have two inside backers in a 3-4, just using a generic term, and drafting a guard/center and tackle with the first two picks wouldn't be drafting the same position twice. It would be shoring up the weakest part of the team where we will be looking at potentially three new starters. If we re sign Montgomery or sign Meyers, or if Kubiak is as high on Ramirez as he says he is, then drafting an interior lineman won't be as big of an issue.

Do you think two rookie offensive linemen will be any better/different than what we already have though?

NightTerror218
03-27-2015, 12:52 AM
Do you think two rookie offensive linemen will be any better/different than what we already have though?

Yes, some are immediate impact players, pats center is a rookie.

SR
03-27-2015, 12:53 AM
Yes, some are immediate impact players, pats center is a rookie.

Hopefully you're right.

Jsteve01
03-27-2015, 08:28 AM
Hopefully you're right.

I have much more confidence in seeing early impact from young guys under this regime than I did under Fox.

Fire Bronc
03-27-2015, 08:30 AM

Right now I believe we will use our first round pick on a guard or tackle, and that rookie will probably end up starting. The rest depends on what the coachng staff really thinks of Schofield, Garland and Paradis, how well they have progressed, and who else we sign. If either or all of the three are really ready to step in, then it eliminates the need. If they haven't progressed then I would strongly consider going O line in the first and second as much for the future as the present. It all starts in the trenches. I like our linebacker depth right now although I wouldn't be opposed at all to drafting an Eric Kendricks type of linebacker, but we might have a more pressing need at D-end over linebacker from a depth perspective on defense.

Jsteve01
03-27-2015, 08:36 AM

I would say ILB definitely qualifies at a position of need given the uncertainty about Trevathan moving forward.

SR
03-27-2015, 08:44 AM
I have much more confidence in seeing early impact from young guys under this regime than I did under Fox.

I can be on board with that

SR
03-27-2015, 08:45 AM
I would say ILB definitely qualifies at a position of need given the uncertainty about Trevathan moving forward.

I'm not really sure there is an uncertainty about him.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-27-2015, 08:50 AM
I read this morning that our 6th round compensatory pick got downgraded to a 7th due to an error in calculations.

Jsteve01
03-27-2015, 08:53 AM
I'm not really sure there is an uncertainty about him.

Seriously? He came back from injury and then go hurt again. Chronic injury? Perhaps not. Durability issues? I hope not but they are concerning.

Jsteve01
03-27-2015, 08:53 AM
I read this morning that our 6th round compensatory pick got downgraded to a 7th due to an error in calculations.

moved down 42 slots

CoachChaz
03-27-2015, 09:54 AM

Based on assumption...would you prefer to run out a lineup with Paradis and Schofield or go with rookies like AJ Cann and Rob Havenstein?

Personally, I think the rookies could get the nod in that situation.

SR
03-27-2015, 10:45 AM
Seriously? He came back from injury and then go hurt again. Chronic injury? Perhaps not. Durability issues? I hope not but they are concerning.

I think he is going to be fine and I've seen absolutely nothing that would make me believe otherwise.

SR
03-27-2015, 10:45 AM
Based on assumption...would you prefer to run out a lineup with Paradis and Schofield or go with rookies like AJ Cann and Rob Havenstein? Personally, I think the rookies could get the nod in that situation.

Honestly I don't know.

CoachChaz
03-27-2015, 12:21 PM
I think he is going to be fine and I've seen absolutely nothing that would make me believe otherwise.

Even if he isnt...I dont know if spending a high pick on ILB is a necessity. see: Brandon Marshall; Danny Trevathan

SR
03-27-2015, 01:48 PM
Even if he isnt...I dont know if spending a high pick on ILB is a necessity. see: Brandon Marshall; Danny Trevathan

That's my thinking as well.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-27-2015, 03:29 PM

That's my thinking as well.

I would agree if Danny's health wasn't a huge question mark. I would be 100% on board with taking a Mike early if the talent is there.

SR
03-27-2015, 04:05 PM
I would agree if Danny's health wasn't a huge question mark. I would be 100% on board with taking a Mike early if the talent is there.

It isn't a "huge question mark". Players bounce back from injury more often than not.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-27-2015, 04:36 PM
It isn't a "huge question mark". Players bounce back from injury more often than not.

apples and oranges my friend....he had 3 knee injuries last year, not just one. We have no idea how durable he will be.

VonDoom
03-27-2015, 04:38 PM

He was injured three times in the same season last year. There should at least be SOME concern about his ability to play healthy all season. Plus our depth behind Trevathan and Marshall is poor. I think we go ILB pretty early, though I've been thinking that for years

Jsteve01
03-27-2015, 05:17 PM

That's my thinking as well. dude Chaz point makes sense and i can agree with that but acting as if these freak leg injuries arent a concern is just sticking your head in the sand.

SR
03-27-2015, 06:05 PM
apples and oranges my friend....he had 3 knee injuries last year, not just one. We have no idea how durable he will be.

It wasn't the same knee injury all three times either. He rushed back and probably didn't rehab well. He'll heal and he will be fine.

SR
03-27-2015, 06:07 PM
dude Chaz point makes sense and i can agree with that but acting as if these freak leg injuries arent a concern is just sticking your head in the sand.

I'm not concerned at all. Why would I be when I've seen nothing in the news Or otherwise that says he's behind schedule or still injured, etc?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-27-2015, 06:21 PM
I'm not concerned at all. Why would I be when I've seen nothing in the news Or otherwise that says he's behind schedule or still injured, etc?

I read an article this morning that said he might not be available when OTA's start.....he's not fully rehabilitated yet.

SR
03-27-2015, 07:46 PM
I read an article this morning that said he might not be available when OTA's start.....he's not fully rehabilitated yet.

Link?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-27-2015, 07:52 PM
Link?

That was 11 hours ago.

Here's your link
google.com

SR
03-27-2015, 08:06 PM
That was 11 hours ago. Here's your link google.com

I did a Google search before I asked for the link and found nothing saying anything about him other than being out for the season, etc. Not sure why, but you're being a dick. But hey, if I was making something up I'd refer someone to Google too.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-27-2015, 10:54 PM
I did a Google search before I asked for the link and found nothing saying anything about him other than being out for the season, etc. Not sure why, but you're being a dick. But hey, if I was making something up I'd refer someone to Google too.

Sorry dude, I wasn't trying to be a dick. I was trying to be funny.

The truth is it was a Broncos story I saw on my Google page this morning.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-27-2015, 11:10 PM
Here it is.

http://http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/As-Broncos-adjust-to-3-4-theyll-have-to-wait-on-Marshall-and-Trevathan/bfa270d3-61cf-448b-bd50-a6c8825b9a6d

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-27-2015, 11:12 PM
It doesn't want to load right. It's a piece by Andrew Mason on the team's website.

It's title is "As Team Transitions to 3-4 it may have to wait on Marshall and Trevathan."