PDA

View Full Version : John Elway not concerned with Broncos roster

Denver Native (Carol)
03-22-2015, 09:35 PM
PHOENIX — It has been one of the itchiest head scratchers of the offseason.

How will quarterback Peyton Manning mesh with the offensive system taught by coach Gary Kubiak and offensive coordinator Rick Dennison?

Manning is an immobile, shotgun operating, line-of-scrimmage calling passer. Kubiak likes his quarterbacks to huddle, take the snap from center, move and balance an offense with the run.

John Elway, the Broncos' roster architect, is not concerned.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27766110/john-elway-not-concerned-broncos-roster

Northman
03-22-2015, 09:48 PM
Im not concerned either.

Northman
03-22-2015, 09:51 PM
Interesting.

Elway did reveal one surprise: There has been some internal discussions about possibly giving second-year cornerback Bradley Roby a look at free safety.

SR
03-22-2015, 09:53 PM
Interesting.

I don't like or dislike the idea.

Simple Jaded
03-22-2015, 09:54 PM
Moving their best pick since Von Miller is concerning, move the CB that can't get on the field.

MOtorboat
03-23-2015, 12:26 AM
So Orlando Franklin was a solid tackle and they moved him to guard and the offensive line fell apart, because the right side was shit. So what do they think about doing this offseason? Moving one of the best rookie cornerbacks to safety? Good grief.

Davii
03-23-2015, 12:59 AM
So Orlando Franklin was a solid tackle and they moved him to guard and the offensive line fell apart, because the right side was shit. So what do they think about doing this offseason? Moving one of the best rookie cornerbacks to safety? Good grief.

If they need a safety I think Champ Bailey is available.

:drum:

MOtorboat
03-23-2015, 01:04 AM

Need corners. Don't move him. Dammit don't move him.

Davii
03-23-2015, 01:10 AM
I was pleasantly surprised with how well Roby played, I think moving him would be a big mistake.

DenBronx
03-23-2015, 02:18 AM

Need corners. Don't move him. Dammit don't move him.

Yeah I dont like that idea either. If we needed a safety then we should of just kept Rahim Moore.

Keep Harris and Talib as the #1 & #2 CBs. Then also keep Roby in the slot with Ward of course at SS. We don't need to make guys project players when they obviously are already excelling at their positions. That's why I hated us moving Orlando Franklin.

Try Webster or someone else. Besides if we need a FS then we can draft one or sign somebody else.

VonDoom
03-23-2015, 06:17 AM
Looks like Chris Myers is still in play at C, along with more bargain basement guys:

Elway indicated the team would eventually sign a veteran free agent to compete with first-year player Matt Paradis at center, but that transaction could come later in the offseason.

"There's plenty of guys out there and there's plenty of time," Elway said. "Hopefully, Paradis is the answer. Obviously, he's young.

"What you have to keep in mind is we think we're going to get 10 (draft) picks and we only have 53 (roster) slots. So it's hard to bring these guys in and give them a lot of money up front to compete because what do you do if one of those young guys prove they're ready? We'll do something. We're just not in a rush."

VonDoom
03-23-2015, 06:18 AM

Makes no sense to me. He was a first round pick just last year - why move him? Webster made more sense in a lot of ways. Plus they just picked up Stewart, and they certainly could have kept Moore if they had tried at all. And there's still the draft. So hopefully they're just kicking ideas around for now and don't actually move Roby, because it would be a poor decision.

Valar Morghulis
03-23-2015, 06:44 AM
I thought roby would establish himself as the number two (at least) corner this year.

But if they move him to safety perhaps elway does not share my admiration for his abilities.

TXBRONC
03-23-2015, 06:55 AM
It doesn't put me in a state of distress that they are considering moving Roby to safety. It seems to me they're looking for the best way to get both him and Webster on the field at sametime. They also maybe thinking that Roby would transition easier to that position than Webster would. Anyway, they're considering it it doesn't mean it will come to fruition.

Mike
03-23-2015, 09:22 AM
I don't think the Broncos win the West so I am not concerned about it either.

Moving Roby is dumb. Learn from the past. If you have a position of need either draft a replacement or go out and get one.

DenBronx
03-23-2015, 09:33 AM
I thought roby would establish himself as the number two (at least) corner this year.

But if they move him to safety perhaps elway does not share my admiration for his abilities.

How when both Harris and Talib are better than him?

VonDoom
03-23-2015, 09:38 AM

Considering we're in nickel more often than not, Roby would be out there fairly often anyway. Plus, there's a good possibility that Talib is gone after this year (his cap hit is $10 million in 2016, I believe) unless he's amazing. Roby was theoretically being groomed to take that spot.

weazel
03-23-2015, 10:09 AM
I'm losing concern

Northman
03-23-2015, 10:23 AM
I was pleasantly surprised with how well Roby played, I think moving him would be a big mistake.

From what i gather i think they are just testing it out. I think what they are trying to do is see if players can play more than one position in case they need to replace someone on the fly. I think Roby will stay as a CB but maybe it gives Elway comfort in case one of the safeties goes down.

GEM
03-23-2015, 11:20 AM
That is lock stock and barrel ******* stupid. Roby showed so much good stuff last year. Stop moving players around to positions that they weren't drafted for. It hasn't worked out in the past and it usually works out to the detriment of the player and team. Just ******* stop with it already.

He looks pretty good, let's put him somewhere else. :rolleyes:

SR
03-23-2015, 11:23 AM
That is lock stock and barrel ******* stupid. Roby showed so much good stuff last year. Stop moving players around to positions that they weren't drafted for. It hasn't worked out in the past and it usually works out to the detriment of the player and team. Just ******* stop with it already. He looks pretty good, let's put him somewhere else. :rolleyes:

Like Nickel Back.

underrated29
03-23-2015, 11:54 AM
How about we just draft my boy kurtis drummond and be done with it. I expect the S/cb we ddraft to be adrian amos. Roby stays at CB.

Ziggy
03-23-2015, 11:56 AM
Moving a young stud corner to free safety worked out pretty good for the Pats. You never know. Roby might be a great FS on base downs, and then move to the third corner on passing downs while Stuart comes in and plays FS. That gets Roby on the field every down and improves our coverage in base D.

VonDoom
03-23-2015, 12:11 PM
Moving a young stud corner to free safety worked out pretty good for the Pats. You never know. Roby might be a great FS on base downs, and then move to the third corner on passing downs while Stuart comes in and plays FS. That gets Roby on the field every down and improves our coverage in base D.

This is the only situation in which I can see this as a positive. If the goal is to get Roby on the field on nearly every defensive snap, the plan described here would be the best way to do it.

Valar Morghulis
03-23-2015, 12:36 PM

I think his form will result in us cutting Taliban next year

Valar Morghulis
03-23-2015, 12:37 PM
Like Nickel Back.

It's been a while?

Traveler
03-23-2015, 12:38 PM
Anyone see this article? Comments?

The Broncos are developing a bad reputation around the league for how they treat their players. More specifically, they are turning into a franchise that is known for using a guy while he's under contract and then coldly discarding him when he's no longer a part of the team's plans.

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2015/03/22/merilatt-broncos-getting-bad-reputation/25174513/

As for this thread, not sure yet on how I should take Elway's comments:

"There's plenty of guys out there and there's plenty of time," Elway told The Denver Post. "What you have to keep in mind is we think we're going to get 10 (draft) picks and we only have 53 (roster) slots. So it's hard to bring these guys in and give them a lot of money up front to compete because what do you do if one of those young guys prove they're ready? We'll do something. We're just not in a rush."

While what he says is true, it comes off as a little to "Jerry Jonesish" to me.

MOtorboat
03-23-2015, 12:49 PM

Because that young corner was a safety who'd been moved to corner by Rutgers. Safety was McCourty's natural position. Safety is not Roby's natural position.

VonDoom
03-23-2015, 12:58 PM

Works for the Patriots. Belichick does this and is considered a genius.

GEM
03-23-2015, 01:03 PM
Like Nickel Back.

Yep, and with Talib due all that money next year, keep priming him to take over that position.

SR
03-23-2015, 01:10 PM
Yep, and with Talib due all that money next year, keep priming him to take over that position.

And what if Talib comes out of the gate scorched Earth and dominates? Just let him take the $10M 2016 cap hit and walk? I don't think so. Nickel backs are important and talent can be groomed there...Chris Harris...

weazel
03-23-2015, 01:14 PM
the back of my nickel has a beaver on it!

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/beaver-canadian-nickel-20585770.jpg

PatriotsGuy
03-23-2015, 01:43 PM
the back of my nickel has a beaver on it!

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/beaver-canadian-nickel-20585770.jpg

That's the front.

GEM
03-23-2015, 01:44 PM
And what if Talib comes out of the gate scorched Earth and dominates? Just let him take the $10M 2016 cap hit and walk? I don't think so. Nickel backs are important and talent can be groomed there...Chris Harris...

What if he comes out of the gate and gets torched. A whole lot of what ifs.

Most of the moving around of players by the Broncos haven't worked out that well in recent years...but hey, he probably won't be on the Broncos in a few seasons anyway so why take the time to value Roby where he's meant to be.

tomjonesrocks
03-23-2015, 02:03 PM

If that's the plan they should have resigned Rahim Moore.

And I hate Rahim Moore.

SR
03-23-2015, 02:46 PM
What if he comes out of the gate and gets torched. A whole lot of what ifs. Most of the moving around of players by the Broncos haven't worked out that well in recent years...but hey, he probably won't be on the Broncos in a few seasons anyway so why take the time to value Roby where he's meant to be.

What other player position swaps haven't worked out besides the offensive line? More switches HAVE worked than not...Marshall, Irving, and watch what happens next season with Ware going from 4-3 DE back to 3-4 OLB. I bet you $50 right now that Ware and Miller have 15+ sacks each.

This whole conversation is speculation so it's only fair to speculate.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-23-2015, 03:08 PM
Roby was really good at corner, so I would be shocked if they moved him to a position that's much easier to fill.

GEM
03-23-2015, 03:45 PM
What other player position swaps haven't worked out besides the offensive line? More switches HAVE worked than not...Marshall, Irving, and watch what happens next season with Ware going from 4-3 DE back to 3-4 OLB. I bet you $50 right now that Ware and Miller have 15+ sacks each.

This whole conversation is speculation so it's only fair to speculate.

Why leave the offensive line out? That's been a huge failure, then all the sudden just forget about it or look past it. :lol: I just don't get why move a guy so early in his development when he's shown so much promise in his development, that's just asking for regression.

weazel
03-23-2015, 03:47 PM
I heard they might be signing Tebow to play LB, but then Peyton offered to play that position

SR
03-23-2015, 03:53 PM
Why leave the offensive line out? That's been a huge failure, then all the sudden just forget about it or look past it. :lol: I just don't get why move a guy so early in his development when he's shown so much promise in his development, that's just asking for regression.

I agree with you. I don't want him moved either.

Krugan
03-23-2015, 03:57 PM
Just to pluck and old string, this whole deal, with piece work and hoping our young guys pan, is exactly why i felt the move from Manning was the perfect time.

I mean, im not worried about it, because I have no say at all, but the roster looks pretty messy atm. Especially the oline, an area of weakness last year, certainly hasnt gotten stronger, yet(assuming we dont have really high quality young guys, which is questionable).

weazel
03-23-2015, 04:02 PM
Just to pluck and old string, this whole deal, with piece work and hoping our young guys pan, is exactly why i felt the move from Manning was the perfect time.

I mean, im not worried about it, because I have no say at all, but the roster looks pretty messy atm. Especially the oline, an area of weakness last year, certainly hasnt gotten stronger, yet(assuming we dont have really high quality young guys, which is questionable).

...to say the least

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-23-2015, 04:11 PM
They were actually talking about Reggie Roby, not Bradley Roby, at safety.

weazel
03-23-2015, 04:17 PM
Roby's a tool... no that's ryobi, sorry

Ziggy
03-23-2015, 04:18 PM
Because that young corner was a safety who'd been moved to corner by Rutgers. Safety was McCourty's natural position. Safety is not Roby's natural position.

No it wasn't. He played both safety and corner in high school and purely corner in college.

Davii
03-23-2015, 05:30 PM
I don't think the Broncos win the West so I am not concerned about it either.

Moving Roby is dumb. Learn from the past. If you have a position of need either draft a replacement or go out and get one.

You're the only person I've ever seen say they don't think the Broncos will win the AFCW. Not even Manning haters claim that. I think that thought is preposterous.

SR
03-23-2015, 05:47 PM
You're the only person I've ever seen say they don't think the Broncos will win the AFCW. Not even Manning haters claim that. I think that thought is preposterous.

KC, SD, and Oakland will all be 8-8 or worse. It's hilarious that anyone wouldn't consider Denver the front runner.

Simple Jaded
03-23-2015, 11:19 PM

Merilat is the guy that said Denver should let DT walk, just walk, said it'd be a bad investment. I wonder how that would look around the league.

Broncos should give all these FA's a gift bag on their way out, like Derrick Jeter.

MOtorboat
03-24-2015, 01:40 AM
No it wasn't. He played both safety and corner in high school and purely corner in college.

McCourty had plenty of experience at safety. Roby does not.

This a dumb idea. Just like moving Champ to safety was dumb. And just like moving Franklin to guard was dumb.

Play players at their effing positions and keep them there.

Ziggy
03-24-2015, 01:49 AM
McCourty had plenty of experience at safety. Roby does not.

This a dumb idea. Just like moving Champ to safety was dumb. And just like moving Franklin to guard was dumb.

Play players at their effing positions and keep them there.

If he can excel at free safety, it gets him on the field every snap instead of 75% of them. We don't know what Wade and Kubes are thinking. We do know that they're brilliant football minds. I'll let them decide. You go ahead and call it dumb.

MOtorboat
03-24-2015, 01:56 AM
If he can excel at free safety, it gets him on the field every snap instead of 75% of them. We don't know what Wade and Kubes are thinking. We do know that they're brilliant football minds. I'll let them decide. You go ahead and call it dumb.

John Fox and John Elway are brilliant football minds too. They moved Franklin to guard and it was a disaster.

Sign or draft a free safety to be a free safety.

underrated29
03-24-2015, 10:49 AM
id like webster at FS. He has some experience there. Lets not forget MO that harris entered our team as a udfa S and we moved to CB where he is now one of the top 3 at his position. I still dont want roby to be a S though. Sure he could be an Earl Thomas back there. He has all the makeup for it, but right now we are Elite at the CB position. best in the league imo by far. Just add a S like Amos or my homie Drummond!!!

Fire Bronc
03-24-2015, 11:10 AM
John Fox and John Elway are brilliant football minds too. They moved Franklin to guard and it was a disaster.

Sign or draft a free safety to be a free safety.

It didn't pan out, but it wasn't a bad idea. Clark was coming off of a surprising, solid year at left tackle and they wanted to get him on the field. Franklin struggled at tackle in pass protection at times, played alot of guard in college, and was projected by many scouts to be better suited for guard at the NFL level. Franklin didn't do bad at guard after switching positions, the issue was Clark not living up to his previous year at tackle.

MOtorboat
03-24-2015, 11:14 AM
id like webster at FS. He has some experience there. Lets not forget MO that harris entered our team as a udfa S and we moved to CB where he is now one of the top 3 at his position. I still dont want roby to be a S though. Sure he could be an Earl Thomas back there. He has all the makeup for it, but right now we are Elite at the CB position. best in the league imo by far. Just add a S like Amos or my homie Drummond!!!

Let's not get carried away. Harris started 44 games at Kansas as a corner and 6 as a safety.

MOtorboat
03-24-2015, 11:15 AM
It didn't pan out, but it wasn't a bad idea. Clark was coming off of a surprising, solid year at left tackle and they wanted to get him on the field. Franklin struggled at tackle in pass protection at times, played alot of guard in college, and was projected by many scouts to be better suited for guard at the NFL level. Franklin didn't do bad at guard after switching positions, the issue was Clark not living up to his previous year at tackle.

No. It was a terrible idea.

gregbroncs
03-24-2015, 12:39 PM

While what he says is true, it comes off as a little to "Jerry Jonesish" to me.I consider this part of the business of the NFL. You can't overpay every player. Who have to find guys that exceed the worth of their contract. The down side of that is when they are up for a new contract you no longer can or are willing to pay them. Then the player does not like it.

GEM
03-24-2015, 01:11 PM

I just read the article and the first player they bring up is Julius....he left with a bitter taste in his mouth...seriously? He should have kept his dad on a leash and maybe oh play when you're healthy enough to play. We have gotten blasted out of a Super Bowl, beaten handily out of an AFC Championship game at home, these players didn't show a whole lot of heart and desire, but want the franchise to kiss their ass when it comes time to pay up....play up and you'll get paid up. It's a critical part of the team that it looks like the front office is trying to address. Either play up to the level you want to paid at or walk to some other team that will kiss your ass thinking you're the next coming of God.

Next up, Orlando Franklin, this one does have me wondering still. No depth on the line and they get rid of a guy that has high level of play, but did make some mistakes that caused some issues in big games and who got more money than he was probably worth.

The next player they bring up is Manning and his $4mil pay cut...to which he can earn it all back if he gets the team where every team wants to be and wins. It's the sole reason he was brought here and fortunately the front office isn't looking at him like he's above any blame for the last couple seasons endings.

And they end with saying that nobody likes being treated like a piece of meat, even big paychecks can't overcome bad reputations, just ask the Raiders.

Maybe they don't like paying big money for soft playing shit heads who lose their shit in the biggest games of the season. Maybe?

Mike
03-24-2015, 02:24 PM

We'll see how the draft goes. But as of now, I think that KC and SD moved closer to Denver in the offseason. I know Manning has been gold against the AFCW...and it goes against logic. Just a feeling that I have. OL and DL are critical and total question marks.

Simple Jaded
03-24-2015, 11:58 PM
The OL will be key, the Broncos can't be serious about what they have right now, if this is the best they can do they're not trying very hard.