PDA

View Full Version : Ok I'll Say It

spikerman
03-21-2015, 02:38 PM
If Patrick Willis is eventually inducted into the Hall of Fame, but Gradishar couldn't get in, it turns the HoF into a worthless institution (if it's not already).

I've seen some Internet traffic out there that he's a "sure fire" Hall of Famer, but his numbers pale in comparison to Gradishar. Furthermore, the excuse that a lot of voters use to disqualify Gradishar is that he didn't play that long. A - He played longer than Wills and, B - He never missed a game in his career.

Discuss (if you want to).

underrated29
03-21-2015, 02:52 PM
I didn't even know people thought of him as. HOF player. There is no way Willis is HOF but you are right if he did the HOF is a load of crap.

Softskull
03-21-2015, 03:19 PM
No need to discuss. You nailed it. It's a travesty that Gradishar (and don't even get me started on TD) isn't in the Hall today.

turftoad
03-21-2015, 03:22 PM
^^^ My thoughts too.

Northman
03-21-2015, 03:32 PM
At first i thought people were insane, but after looking at the time in the league and their numbers its almost identical.

Willis:
8 years in the league (only played in 6 games last year)
732 tackles,
8 Ints,
20 sacks

Gradishar:
10 years in the league
2,049 (im a little unclear on his tackles so if anyone has a better source for stats please provide them) MHR has this listed but they also have Lewis listed with more tackles than Pro reference does so im not sure which is more accurate. Seems like a lot of tackles for Randy compared to Ray who played 7 more years.
http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/5/26/4366906/randy-gradishar-hof-credentials
20 Ints,
20 Sacks

spikerman
03-21-2015, 03:59 PM
At first i thought people were insane, but after looking at the time in the league and their numbers its almost identical.

Willis:
8 years in the league (only played in 6 games last year)
732 tackles,
8 Ints,
20 sacks

Gradishar:
10 years in the league
2,049 (im a little unclear on his tackles so if anyone has a better source for stats please provide them) MHR has this listed but they also have Lewis listed with more tackles than Pro reference does so im not sure which is more accurate. Seems like a lot of tackles for Randy compared to Ray who played 7 more years.
http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/5/26/4366906/randy-gradishar-hof-credentials
20 Ints,
20 Sacks
I believe that Gradishar is the only player to average 200 tackles per year for a career. That's part of the rub. A lot of the voters don't believe the numbers because they were supplied by the team. Anybody who actually watched him play knows that those numbers are probably pretty damn close to accurate though.

Northman
03-21-2015, 04:06 PM
I believe that Gradishar is the only player to average 200 tackles per year for a career. That's part of the rub. A lot of the voters don't believe the numbers because they were supplied by the team. Anybody who actually watched him play knows that those numbers are probably pretty damn close to accurate though.

Yea, i wish there was a place that had the stats listed because Pro reference has Ray Lewis listed with around 1500 tackles but the MHR link had him at around 2000, same as Gradishar but having played 7 more years. Pro reference is generally pretty accurate with their numbers so i would be curious what Randy's numbers should be whether the 2000 is accurate or if it should be less. Either way, as a Bronco fan and as important as Randy was to the team during his time i think he deserves the nod but initially i thought Willis didnt stand a chance (and may still not) but i also figured Randy played longer than he initially did too. Interesting discussion Spiker, thanks.

Simple Jaded
03-21-2015, 04:09 PM
If Gradishar had same career for a media darling like Dallas, Pitt or SF he'd been a first ballot HoFer. The HoF voters can suck a fart.

*cough*Dr. Z*cough*

spikerman
03-21-2015, 04:12 PM
Yea, i wish there was a place that had the stats listed because Pro reference has Ray Lewis listed with around 1500 tackles but the MHR link had him at around 2000, same as Gradishar but having played 7 more years. Pro reference is generally pretty accurate with their numbers so i would be curious what Randy's numbers should be whether the 2000 is accurate or if it should be less. Either way, as a Bronco fan and as important as Randy was to the team during his time i think he deserves the nod but initially i thought Willis didnt stand a chance (and may still not) but i also figured Randy played longer than he initially did too. Interesting discussion Spiker, thanks.

You got it, buddy. Say hello to the wife for me.

OrangeHoof
03-21-2015, 04:37 PM
Um, If Patrick Willis is a Hall-of-Famer, then Terrell Davis ought to be. I mean, we're talking shortened careers here more than LB production. Who played in more Super Bowls? Which was a Super Bowl MVP?

DenBronx
03-21-2015, 04:47 PM
I can think of 3-4 Broncos that should be in already.

Imo, Davis got robbed last year.

And yes it's a shame Gradishar isnt in.

BroncoNut
03-21-2015, 06:53 PM
I gotta hear this

broncofaninfla
03-21-2015, 09:48 PM
Back in the day there was a lot of discussion on who was better, Gradishar and Lambert with a lot of fans and writers leaving Gradishars way. It's the snub of all snubs that he isn't already in. Honestly the HOF has lost a lot of it's luster to me. Gradishar, Atwater, Davis and Meck should absolutely be in.

Ziggy
03-21-2015, 09:57 PM
Andre Tippet was voted in over Gradishar. What a travesty. Go back and compare the numbers. It's all about where you played.

Northman
03-21-2015, 10:14 PM
Im again having a hard time finding any definitive stats on Tippett. Nothing mentioned on tackles on the 4-5 stat sites i came across. It does show that in 11 years he had 100 sacks but if that is all they are going on than i am a surprised he is in the hall.

BroncoWave
03-22-2015, 08:15 AM
Come on guys, don't be silly. Willis is a sure-fire HOF. Was the top player in the game at his position for 7 years at one of the most important positioins on the field. He will get in and he should.

That's not to say Gradishar or TD shouldn't be in, because they absolutely should as well. But to direct that anger at Willis and say he doesn't deserve to get in is crazy talk.

BroncoWave
03-22-2015, 08:24 AM
If Willis had played in Denver and had the exact same success he had in SF, and retired early and didn't get in the HOF, you guys would be screaming bloody murder about how the Hall screwed him. #realtalk

spikerman
03-22-2015, 08:58 AM
If Willis had played in Denver and had the exact same success he had in SF, and retired early and didn't get in the HOF, you guys would be screaming bloody murder about how the Hall screwed him. #realtalk
That's not really the point of the thread.

Simple Jaded
03-22-2015, 09:29 PM
Come on guys, don't be silly. Willis is a sure-fire HOF. Was the top player in the game at his position for 7 years at one of the most important positioins on the field. He will get in and he should.

That's not to say Gradishar or TD shouldn't be in, because they absolutely should as well. But to direct that anger at Willis and say he doesn't deserve to get in is crazy talk.

I'm inclined to agree but have to say that retiring so early put his candidacy in some degree of doubt.