PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning, Gary Kubiak will have to put Broncos' offense on solid ground

Denver Native (Carol)
03-19-2015, 03:07 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Since Gary Kubiak was named Denver Broncos head coach in January, he has taken several opportunities to say the team will run the ball more.

Kubiak has said "I just believe in it."

Offensive coordinator Rick Dennison, too, has said the team will run more, and has said, "It's something we've believed in."

Quarterback Peyton Manning, who took a $4 million pay cut to see what the Broncos could be, has said he'd be comfortable in any offense short of the wing-T.

But how much more running the Broncos do remains to be seen as Manning tries to mesh what he does with what Kubiak believes in, and has done as a part of his coaching career that includes three Super Bowl rings. If you draw the line at seasons with 500 rushing attempts -- a hefty total even before pass-happy times went to pass-giddy times -- it's clear Manning, Kubiak and Dennison will have to work it out because that would be uncharted ground for the quarterback.

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/12466/peyton-manning-gary-kubiak-will-have-to-put-broncos-offense-on-solid-ground

Simple Jaded
03-20-2015, 10:47 AM
So 3 straight sub-400 run seasons was followed up by the only season lost to injury? Sold!

Cugel
03-20-2015, 08:30 PM
His growth as a quarterback, the Colts pushing the no-huddle offense and Manning doing more at the line of scrimmage meant more of the results fell on his shoulders. That's been true in Denver as well. But the postseason has not always been kind. In the past two playoff exits, including a 35-point loss in Super Bowl XLVIII, Denver's offense faltered when Manning struggled and it didn't have the run to fall back on.

And why did Denver's offense "falter" in the playoffs? And why didn't they have the run to fall back on?

Because the OL couldn't protect Peyton, he was under constant pressure to get rid of the ball too quickly before plays could develop. The offense sputtered and he threw picks. That's because the OL couldn't pass-block worth a damn against the Seahawks and Colts.

And they couldn't run because the OL couldn't run block worth a damn either. You saw that C.J. Anderson is a pretty good runner - when the OL opened holes for him to run through. Even Adrian Peterson can't do anything if the OL can't block for him.

So the entire problem with Denver in the playoffs the last 2 years pretty much came down to their OL.

And they're going to fix that with rookies who have never started a game in the NFL; draft pick, Michael Schofield, Paradis, etc. I'd say there's a very low order of probability that's going to work.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-20-2015, 10:44 PM
Cugel, we lost that game because Manning could more easily pass a quantum physics class at MIT than he could pass a football in that game. The running game might not have been dominant, but it wasn't bad. CJ averaged 4 ypc.

It sure as hell wasn't the offensive line's fault either. Go back and count how many passes Manning completed down the seam. Shoot, just count how many passes he completed more than 10 yards beyond the LOS. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a shotgun in that game.

Jsteve01
03-20-2015, 10:57 PM
Cugel, we lost that game because Manning could more easily pass a quantum physics class at MIT than he could pass a football in that game. The running game might not have been dominant, but it wasn't bad. CJ averaged 4 ypc.

It sure as hell wasn't the offensive line's fault either. Go back and count how many passes Manning completed down the seam. Shoot, just count how many passes he completed more than 10 yards beyond the LOS. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a shotgun in that game. i think it was a joint effort for the o line and peyton

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-20-2015, 11:48 PM
i think it was a joint effort for the o line and peyton

Yeah maybe. ..I'll just say this. Kyle Orton could have won that game.

Shazam!
03-21-2015, 11:42 AM

It sure as hell wasn't the offensive line's fault either. Go back and count how many passes Manning completed down the seam. Shoot, just count how many passes he completed more than 10 yards beyond the LOS. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a shotgun in that game.

Some of that is absurd.

Peyton was betrayed by the OLine from the first snap of the game. Under constant duress. No real adjustments to fall back on because Fox and Co. completely were in shock. Peyton needs to drop back and set, and he never could. Franklin got ABUSED in that game, I didn't forget.

The 97-98 Broncos are the best example of balance - Running Game + Passing Threat + Best OLine + Physical Defense = Championship.

This team showed all it's weaknesses on the worst possible time. I believe this is more of a philosophy change as much as personnel now.

Northman
03-21-2015, 12:17 PM
Some of that is absurd.

Peyton was betrayed by the OLine from the first snap of the game. Under constant duress. No real adjustments to fall back on because Fox and Co. completely were in shock. Peyton needs to drop back and set, and he never could. Franklin got ABUSED in that game, I didn't forget.

The 97-98 Broncos are the best example of balance - Running Game + Passing Threat + Best OLine + Physical Defense = Championship.

This team showed all it's weaknesses on the worst possible time. I believe this is more of a philosophy change as much as personnel now.

And a lot of this is absurd.

Many times in that game vs the Colts Manning had time to complete a pass and flat out missed.

sneakers
03-22-2015, 01:24 AM
hand that ball off