PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning's restructured contract with Broncos includes a no-trade clause

Magnificent Seven
03-14-2015, 12:51 PM
What prompted Peyton Manning's agent to include this clause?

Was trading Peyton Manning a possibility?

Earlier this month, Manning agreed to a $4 million pay cut with the Broncos to free up some cash for the team. The adjusted contract allows for Manning to earn back the $4 million through incentives.

The deal also included a no-trade clause, according to Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio.

Some, including CBS 4's Vic Lombardi, believe that the clause reveals Denver did have a backup plan for 2015. Trading Manning and rolling with Brock Osweiler (or someone else), may have been discussed by Denver.

The clause also shows, as Florio pointed out, that Manning wants to stay in Denver.

The clause is only good through the 2015 season. So Denver could technically trade Manning next year, but it's hard to imagine a team trading for 40-year-old QB with a $21.5 million cap hit.

The NFL is a tough business — few jobs are guaranteed.

But for at least this season, Manning's not going anywhere.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/3/14/8215217/peyton-mannings-restructured-contract-with-broncos-includes-a-no

Ziggy
03-14-2015, 12:57 PM
After this season is over and the Broncos raise the Lombardi, Denver is going to be happy to pay Manning's salary in 2016. :D

HORSEPOWER 56
03-14-2015, 01:13 PM
After this season is over and the Broncos raise the Lombardi, Denver is going to be happy to pay Manning's salary in 2016. :D

The second Manning hoists a second Lombardi, I have feeling his pro career is over. I've thought since he got here that he'd retire if we won a Super Bowl. It's not about $ or stats. He wants a second then he's done

Denver Native (Carol)
03-14-2015, 01:16 PM
With Manning giving back 4 mil, and incentives built in where he could get the 4 mil back, was it just common business sense to negotiate a no trade clause, so he would have the chance to get the 4 mil back?

Magnificent Seven
03-14-2015, 01:52 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 2h 2 hours ago

The fact Peyton asked for a no-trade clause tells me the Broncos did indeed have a Plan B.

Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 54m 54 minutes ago

To clarify, Manning's 2016 contract terms remain untouched. Only his 2015 deal contains a no-trade clause. #Broncos
5 retweets 8 favorites

BroncoWave
03-14-2015, 02:20 PM
Remember when people scoffed at the idea that Denver was possibly considering getting rid of Manning even if he wanted to come back? Well that certainly doesn't seem so far-fetched now does it?

Denver Native (Carol)
03-14-2015, 02:25 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 2h 2 hours ago

The fact Peyton asked for a no-trade clause tells me the Broncos did indeed have a Plan B.

Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 54m 54 minutes ago

To clarify, Manning's 2016 contract terms remain untouched. Only his 2015 deal contains a no-trade clause. #Broncos
5 retweets 8 favorites

I don't agree with Vic stating that the Broncos did indeed have a Plan B, which caused Peyton to ask for a no-trade clause. I still believe the no-trade clause was inserted to insure that Peyton would receive the incentives, if earned.

Davii
03-14-2015, 02:54 PM
Remember when people scoffed at the idea that Denver was possibly considering getting rid of Manning even if he wanted to come back? Well that certainly doesn't seem so far-fetched now does it?

It still seems kind of far fetched.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-14-2015, 03:04 PM

I agree. If Denver was considering getting rid of Manning, why was that not pursued, rather than asking him to renegotiate his contract. We all know if they were pursuing a trade, or thinking of cutting him, that would have been headlines everywhere. I am hoping the real reason for the no trade clause comes out, rather than speculation.

BroncoWave
03-14-2015, 03:14 PM

The fact that he wanted a no-trade clause, to me, signifies that he thought there was a non-zero chance that Denver could try to trade him.

BroncoWave
03-14-2015, 03:15 PM
I don't agree with Vic stating that the Broncos did indeed have a Plan B, which caused Peyton to ask for a no-trade clause. I still believe the no-trade clause was inserted to insure that Peyton would receive the incentives, if earned.

When a player is traded, his contract is traded as well. That would include incentives would it not?

Denver Native (Carol)
03-14-2015, 03:23 PM
When a player is traded, his contract is traded as well. That would include incentives would it not?

I have no idea

BroncoWave
03-14-2015, 03:29 PM
I guess I just don't see why it wouldn't. Seems like everything on the contract would carry over. It would be interesting to find out, though.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-14-2015, 03:57 PM
I find it interesting that ESPN, NFL, FOX Sports, CBS Sports have not all jumped on this yet.

SR
03-14-2015, 04:55 PM
I find it interesting that ESPN, NFL, FOX Sports, CBS Sports have not all jumped on this yet.

Because it's not news.

OrangeHoof
03-14-2015, 05:07 PM
The second Manning hoists a second Lombardi, I have feeling his pro career is over. I've thought since he got here that he'd retire if we won a Super Bowl. It's not about $ or stats. He wants a second then he's done

He doesn't want to hear every Thanksgiving dinner about which Manning has the most Super Bowl rings.

Northman
03-14-2015, 05:08 PM
Yea, i dont think its much to write about really. Unless some source comes out and says that Manning was "this" close to being traded before the signed deal there isnt much to it. Personally i think maybe this was drawn up so in case he sucks coming out the gate Denver cant ship him off somewhere before the deadline. Just a hypothetical guess though.

OrangeHoof
03-14-2015, 05:17 PM
The fact that he wanted a no-trade clause, to me, signifies that he thought there was a non-zero chance that Denver could try to trade him.

I remember that one year in the 90s when the Broncos seemed snakebit. Elway got picked picked off by Junior Seau and the whole season spiraled out of control after that. They lost several games on freak plays or fluke penalties. I wanna say it was one of the Wade Phillips years.

So, let's say bizarre things happen early next season and the Broncos limp into the bye week at 2-5 but Peyton is healthy and playing good football. It wouldn't be outside the realm of possibiltiy that a good playoff-ready team who's meal-ticket QB was lost to injury might make an offer to the Broncos to give them Peyton for the rest of the year. Let's say the offer is for a pair of 2's. Would John do it? What would he have to lose?

So, Manning's agent (we presume a smart guy because he is working for Peyton Manning) gets the no-trade clause put in just so there's no chance of that happening. Or, like baseball, just so he doesn't get traded without his own permission. I don't think anyone needs to be stressed or offended about it at all. It's just bidness.

BroncoWave
03-14-2015, 05:20 PM
I'm not stressed or offended. I'm actually happy because it supports my point that maybe Denver wasn't as all-in on him as some might have believed. :D

Northman
03-14-2015, 05:21 PM
So, let's say bizarre things happen early next season and the Broncos limp into the bye week at 2-5 but Peyton is healthy and playing good football. It wouldn't be outside the realm of possibiltiy that a good playoff-ready team who's meal-ticket QB was lost to injury might make an offer to the Broncos to give them Peyton for the rest of the year. Let's say the offer is for a pair of 2's. Would John do it? What would he have to lose?

So, Manning's agent (we presume a smart guy because he is working for Peyton Manning) gets the no-trade clause put in just so there's no chance of that happening. O

Thats what im thinking.

SR
03-14-2015, 05:34 PM
I remember that one year in the 90s when the Broncos seemed snakebit. Elway got picked picked off by Junior Seau and the whole season spiraled out of control after that. They lost several games on freak plays or fluke penalties. I wanna say it was one of the Wade Phillips years. So, let's say bizarre things happen early next season and the Broncos limp into the bye week at 2-5 but Peyton is healthy and playing good football. It wouldn't be outside the realm of possibiltiy that a good playoff-ready team who's meal-ticket QB was lost to injury might make an offer to the Broncos to give them Peyton for the rest of the year. Let's say the offer is for a pair of 2's. Would John do it? What would he have to lose? So, Manning's agent (we presume a smart guy because he is working for Peyton Manning) gets the no-trade clause put in just so there's no chance of that happening. Or, like baseball, just so he doesn't get traded without his own permission. I don't think anyone needs to be stressed or offended about it at all. It's just bidness.

I don't think any coach in the NFL would trade for Peyton Manning mid-season. He wouldn't come in and adapt to another offense and another offense wouldn't adapt to him quickly enough to make that team do well enough to justify a move like that.

Also, most playoff contending teams in the league don't have enough cap room to pull the trigger on a contract like that mid-season without moving other potential vital players elsewhere to accommodate the trade. After being traded no way would Peyton restructure because he's only got a year or two left of good football in him.

This whole conversation is silly. The no-trade clause is likely nothing more than both parties expressing their exclusivity toward each other.

OrangeHoof
03-14-2015, 06:20 PM
I don't think any coach in the NFL would trade for Peyton Manning mid-season.

Desperate people do desperate things. If you're 6-1 and your all-pro QB is lost for the season, maybe a Peyton Manning rental looks like the best possible alternative.

This whole conversation is silly. The no-trade clause is likely nothing more than both parties expressing their exclusivity toward each other.

You are probably right.

Davii
03-14-2015, 06:27 PM
I'm not stressed or offended. I'm actually happy because it supports my point that maybe Denver wasn't as all-in on him as some might have believed. :D

It really doesn't though. If you want it to it can though. Even if Peyton felt there was a chance and he wanted it in writing it doesn't mean the Broncos had any plans to do so or had given it thought at all. This is nothing more than speculation. Maybe Tennessee told Manning's agent they would trade their first rounder so he wanted to make sure that never even got offered to Denver.

Who knows. Manning and John. So, no, this doesn't support your theory anymore than it supports a theory that John Fox called Elway everyday to ask if he could have Peyton. Speculation doesn't support anything.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-14-2015, 10:11 PM
You know it's the off-season when there's a thread about why a 39 year old football player would have a trade clause.