View Full Version : Broncos sign Darian Stewart

NightTerror218
03-13-2015, 03:13 PM
Official Stewart will be new FS

2-Year deal

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27706793/darian-stewart-broncos-safety

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-13-2015, 03:16 PM
There should be good competition for that spot. I don't think he has the resume to just hand him the job.

VonDoom
03-13-2015, 03:21 PM
There should be good competition for that spot. I don't think he has the resume to just hand him the job.

There was that talk of Webster to FS, but Klis refuted that recently. I wonder what the real story is there. It's worth giving him a shot - if he's good, he's the starter and Stewart is depth. Otherwise, Stewart is the de facto starter.

broncofaninfla
03-13-2015, 03:27 PM
I thought Bruton played well when given the chance late last year.

tubby
03-13-2015, 03:33 PM
Baller

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-13-2015, 03:49 PM

Agreed, he should provide competition. I think he played centerfield at ND. He's probably the best pure athlete we have at the safety position.

VonDoom
03-13-2015, 03:52 PM
I remember reading about Stewart the other day, but I had forgotten until now - he had a great playoff game against Big Ben and the Steelers. At the very least, he's quality depth.

I also agree on Bruton - he was a boss last year when he was in there. I don't know if they plan on giving him the starter's job, but I wouldn't be shocked to see it. We might just have a real open competition come TC.

NightTerror218
03-13-2015, 03:54 PM

He is a strong safety. Moore was the only true FS we had. Moore led the defense in snaps played for the Broncos.

TXBRONC
03-13-2015, 03:54 PM
There was that talk of Webster to FS, but Klis refuted that recently. I wonder what the real story is there. It's worth giving him a shot - if he's good, he's the starter and Stewart is depth. Otherwise, Stewart is the de facto starter.

Webster has the size to play safety and as far as I know Denver still thinks very highly of him.

VonDoom
03-13-2015, 03:57 PM
Webster has the size to play safety and as far as I know Denver still thinks very highly of him.

I'd give it a shot, to be honest. I definitely see him as a safety if he is a fast learner.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-13-2015, 03:57 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 1h

Broncos ink safety Darian Stewart to replace Rahim Moore. Still shopping for a veteran lineman. #Broncos

G_Money
03-13-2015, 03:58 PM
I'm assuming Webster is going for the dime DB role, combo S/CB. And Stewart is fine as a free. I prefer him to Moore, and you need as much DB depth as you can get these days. No need to rely just on Webster to be the man. If he gets to be better than Stewart, then we're in a good place.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-13-2015, 04:22 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 2h

Broncos 3 for 3 in value FA signs: TE Owen Daniels, DL Vance Walker, S Darian Stewart. LG Shelley Smith, visiting now, would make it 4 of 4

Denver Native (Carol)
03-13-2015, 04:37 PM
Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 33m

Darian Stewart: "I feel like I'm the final piece to the puzzle."

Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 33m

Darian Stewart said the coaches told him he will replace Rahim Moore at free safety.

dogfish
03-13-2015, 04:40 PM
I'm assuming Webster is going for the dime DB role, combo S/CB. And Stewart is fine as a free. I prefer him to Moore, and you need as much DB depth as you can get these days. No need to rely just on Webster to be the man. If he gets to be better than Stewart, then we're in a good place.

G, tell me this guy isn't the next marquand manuel. . . we've had so many veteran safeties who were just bums. . . i'm scared!

BeefStew25
03-13-2015, 04:54 PM
If his number is 25 I'll pull my pants down at a tailgate.

SR
03-13-2015, 05:05 PM
If his number is 25 I'll pull my pants down at a tailgate.

Chris Harris

BeefStew25
03-13-2015, 05:09 PM
Chris Harris

Oh well that worked out well for everyone involved.

spikerman
03-13-2015, 07:53 PM
Oh well that worked out well for everyone involved.not me.

Simple Jaded
03-13-2015, 08:45 PM
I think I'd rather see Beef drop his drawers than see this dude wear Bailey's #24, which is exactly what he's gonna wear.

SR
03-13-2015, 08:55 PM
I think I'd rather see Beef drop his drawers than see this dude wear Bailey's #24, which is exactly what he's gonna wear.

There are few things that I would rather see than beef dropping his drawers. I mean, most of the texts I send him get ":boner:" as a reply. So, it would be nice to have that visual, you know?

BroncoWave
03-13-2015, 09:31 PM
This thread took a turn...

chazoe60
03-13-2015, 10:34 PM
It's an upgrade.

Jsteve01
03-13-2015, 10:56 PM
It's an upgrade. no it is not. There is a reason moore got twice as much and it is that hes a better player. RAHIM had twice as many picks last year as stewart has had his entire career. Their tackles were a wash

Simple Jaded
03-13-2015, 11:12 PM
There are few things that I would rather see than beef dropping his drawers. I mean, most of the texts I send him get ":boner:" as a reply. So, it would be nice to have that visual, you know?

Careful what you wish, I have a feelin Beef's next text to you will have a little Brett Favre influence to it.

SR
03-13-2015, 11:13 PM
Careful what you wish, I have a feelin Beef's next text to you will have a little Brett Favre influence to it.

I wish for beef

Simple Jaded
03-13-2015, 11:14 PM
I wish for beef

Beef's beef.

SR
03-14-2015, 09:37 AM
Beef's beef.

Obviously.

ShaneFalco
03-14-2015, 09:42 AM
i guess this is the broncos offseason of signing former rams players.

D stewart is a good hitter. Not great in Coverage.

chazoe60
03-14-2015, 09:43 AM
no it is not. There is a reason moore got twice as much and it is that hes a better player. RAHIM had twice as many picks last year as stewart has had his entire career. Their tackles were a wash

How many playoff games has Stewart single handedly lost?

tomjonesrocks
03-14-2015, 10:04 AM
It's an upgrade.

My thoughts on Moore are on record. Love he wasn't brought back.

But as G says it's an upgrade I'm all the more confident.

BroncoWave
03-14-2015, 12:12 PM

Well if it's zero that would be the same amount as Moore soooo......

Ziggy
03-14-2015, 12:47 PM

http://www.shopatnorway.com/images/840284_LA_troll_norway.jpg

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Media/Pix/pictures/2007/05/15/smokead128.jpg

BroncoWave
03-14-2015, 01:22 PM
No shit he was trolling. That was me trolling him back.

tomjonesrocks
03-14-2015, 01:29 PM

Dropped by the Texans forums...they seem to disagree.

Just accept he's known for that one play.

BroncoWave
03-14-2015, 01:32 PM
Dropped by the Texans forums...they seem to disagree.

Just accept he's known for that one play.

I fully realize he is known for that one play. But that doesn't mean people are right. I try to form my opinions based on my own evaluations, not based on public perception.

Critical thinking can lead one to the conclusion that there were SEVERAL things that blew that game such as Fox's late game management or Peyton's OT pick.

Lazy thinking and latching onto public perception can lead you to the conclusion that one play in regulation decided a football game that went into double overtime.

chazoe60
03-14-2015, 02:04 PM
I was just trolling earlier but my overall opinion of Rahim Moore is that he is a terrible tackler who got better at making a play on the ball last year but is still a bottom tier safety. He was our worst player in a couple of games last season. He was especially terrible in the Cincinatti game.
I'm glad he's gone, he was definitely a weak spot on our defense and I'd be lying if I didn't mention that I'll always think of that play(the worst play by a safety in history) every time I see him play.

Bosco
03-15-2015, 11:27 AM

If I had my way, I'd resign Quinton Carter and let he, Bruton, and this new guy battle it out.

Simple Jaded
03-15-2015, 02:03 PM
Quinton Carter can't stay healthy and wasn't good enough to take a chance on his first healthy season, like most S's he's just a guy.

VonDoom
03-23-2015, 09:41 AM
Details on Stewart's contract are finally out. Cap hit of $1.5 million this year, easily able to cut him next year with limited penalty:

Aaron WilsonVerified account ‏@RavensInsider

Darian Stewart Broncos deal: two yrs, $4.25 million, $1.5M bonus, salaries $750K (gtd), $2M; has 2016 escalator; cap figures $1.5M, $2.5M

That cap number next year should be 2.75 if we keep him. I think this guy's math is off, but it's not a big issue.

NightTerror218
03-23-2015, 10:23 PM
Stewart is suppose to be a leader too.

That might be big.

Cugel
03-25-2015, 07:43 PM
The latest news is that the Broncos are going to try out CB Bradley Roby at FS. This makes sense. You want to have your best 3 CBs on the field at the same time, and he's not going to start ahead of Aquib Talib or Chris Harris, so having him out there as FS in base defense makes sense. They said that the NFL used to have a SS who was more of a hitter, but now you need "two center fielders" out there. This would put Kayvon Webster as the nickel CB in the slot. I don't know about how well that will work out. We'll have to see. But, Roby in deep coverage might be an idea that works out.

I'm sure he'd rather start, so he should be OK with this idea. And we know he has the deep cover skills. But, he'd have to learn about playing, while facing the QB and knowing all the defensive coverages instead of just matching up on your WR. Champ Bailey could never get the hang of it, so it's not a given that anybody can learn it.

SR
03-25-2015, 08:09 PM
The latest news is that the Broncos are going to try out CB Bradley Roby at FS. This makes sense. You want to have your best 3 CBs on the field at the same time, and he's not going to start ahead of Aquib Talib or Chris Harris, so having him out there as FS in base defense makes sense. They said that the NFL used to have a SS who was more of a hitter, but now you need "two center fielders" out there. This would put Kayvon Webster as the nickel CB in the slot. I don't know about how well that will work out. We'll have to see. But, Roby in deep coverage might be an idea that works out. I'm sure he'd rather start, so he should be OK with this idea. And we know he has the deep cover skills. But, he'd have to learn about playing, while facing the QB and knowing all the defensive coverages instead of just matching up on your WR. Champ Bailey could never get the hang of it, so it's not a given that anybody can learn it.

Champ could never get the hang of what? He never played safety.

Timmy!
03-26-2015, 02:23 PM
Actually Roby would still be the nickel corner, not Webster. The Broncos (and most everybody) is in nickel more than base. Its just a matter of trying to get Roby on the field more often. In base defense they can try him at FS, and in nickel he will be in the slot as a cb, while Stewart plays FS.