PDA

View Full Version : Former CSU guard Shelley Smith to visit with Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2015, 07:01 PM
In filling the void left by left guard Orlando Franklin, the Broncos are looking at a player with local ties.

Shelley Smith, a former standout at Colorado State who was released by the Miami Dolphins on Tuesday, is scheduled to visit with the Broncos on Friday. However, the Seattle Seahawks will get the first crack at Smith; he was on his way to Seattle Wednesday night with a full visit scheduled for Thursday.

Smith was drafted by the Houston Texans in 2011, when Gary Kubiak was coach, and is familiar with the zone-blocking scheme the Broncos will employ in 2015.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27693188/former-csu-guard-shelley-smith-visit-broncos

Buff
03-11-2015, 07:15 PM
OK I'm officially worried about our o-line now. It looks like our plan is to try and get lucky in the draft and hope for the best.

VonDoom
03-11-2015, 07:36 PM
OK I'm officially worried about our o-line now. It looks like our plan is to try and get lucky in the draft and hope for the best.

I think the plan is to hope the guys from last year's draft improved and are ready to step up. Though I still think we go O-line in the 1st round.

As for Smith ... I don't know anything about him. Just depth if he signs?

Buff
03-11-2015, 08:06 PM
I think the plan is to hope the guys from last year's draft improved and are ready to step up. Though I still think we go O-line in the 1st round.

As for Smith ... I don't know anything about him. Just depth if he signs?

The part that I hate about trying to get excited about Schofield and Paradis is that our o-line struggled badly last year and we were ready to plug in any warm body - and yet neither of those guys were viewed as viable solutions. Granted, they were rookies and maybe needed another year of experience and time in the weight room - but that's just another way of saying they weren't NFL ready players 6 months ago.

I don't know - I didn't mind letting Franklin go, but I did assume that we'd bring in some sort of starting caliber replacement. That doesn't appear to be the case if we're sniffing around guys like Shelley Smith.

VonDoom
03-11-2015, 08:11 PM
The part that I hate about trying to get excited about Schofield and Paradis is that our o-line struggled badly last year and we were ready to plug in any warm body - and yet neither of those guys were viewed as viable solutions. Granted, they were rookies and maybe needed another year of experience and time in the weight room - but that's just another way of saying they weren't NFL ready players 6 months ago.

I don't know - I didn't mind letting Franklin go, but I did assume that we'd bring in some sort of starting caliber replacement. That doesn't appear to be the case if we're sniffing around guys like Shelley Smith.

I feel the same way you do about Schofield and Paradis. The only positive spin I can put on it is that we have a new coaching staff, and hopefully they bring out the best in these guys. It's too early to declare anyone a bust and Elway obviously saw something in them, particuarly Schofield as a third rounder. It's clear by now that we're not going after big name linemen, so these young guys will have to step it up this year.

VonDoom
03-11-2015, 08:12 PM
Klis also says we're visiting with DE Vance Walker:

The Broncos will visit this week with free agent defensive end Vance Walker. He played for the Kansas City Chiefs last season and the Oakland Raiders in 2013.

At 305 pounds, Walker would be a five-technique defensive end in the 3-4.

Walker, 28, was drafted in the seventh round of the 2009 draft by the Falcons, with whom he spent parts of four seasons before signing with Oakland as an unrestricted free agent.

He was released by the Chiefs on March 6.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27693566/de-vance-walker-visit-broncos-this-week

BroncoWave
03-11-2015, 08:24 PM

Remember, Buff, that Fox has the whole anti playing young guys thing. I think it's hard to make any judgements on any of our rookies from last year given that. I think this will really be the year that we learn about Elway's drafting abilities. It's sink or swim time for them now.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2015, 08:28 PM
Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 6h

More Elway on Schofield: “He’s a talented kid and we have expectations.''

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 6h

Elway on Schofield: "We actually went back and looked at what he did in the preseason, We’re excited about what he did in the preseason.''

Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2015, 08:32 PM
It’s not the Broncos are poor so much as they had already spent a large percentage of their payroll before free agency began.

In 2015 alone, the Broncos will pay $15 million to quarterback Peyton Manning, $12.822 million to receiver Demaryius Thomas, $10.9 million to cornerback Chris Harris, $10 million to left tackle Ryan Clady and $9.754 million to outside linebacker Von Miller.

That’s $58.48 million, or 39.1 percent, of the Broncos’ salary cap, allocated to five players.

We’ll take it out to six more players. The Broncos this season will pay DeMarcus Ware ($7 million), Emmanuel Sanders ($7 million, including a deferred $3 million signing bonus that will be paid Sunday), T.J. Ward ($6.5 million), Aqib Talib ($6 million), Louis Vasquez ($5 million) and freshly signed tight end Owen Daniels ($4.75 million, including a $3 million signing bonus) a combined $36.25 million.

The top 11 players, thus, account for $94.73 million, or 63.3 percent of the Broncos’ payroll.

The other 42 players get to split $54.9 million, or an average of $1.31 million.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2015/03/11/broncos-paying-32-percent-150-million-payroll-four-players/32859/

VonDoom
03-11-2015, 08:44 PM
Also, we're meeting with Ravens safety Darian Stewart. He could actually start for us, given our lack of depth there

Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2015, 10:16 PM
Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 2h

.@DBPFM18 No, they believe fixing the OL requires better scheme, better coaching & letting less-experienced guys w/ upside grow into roles.

Simple Jaded
03-11-2015, 10:55 PM

I'll tell ya what worries me about the OL is the notion that the ZBS doesn't require legit talent, if Denver goes back to the Eric Pears/Cooper Carlisle formula it's over. The scariest cliche in Denver these days is "fits the zone block system", I'd rather bring back Josh McDaniels than those offensive lineman.

Poet
03-11-2015, 11:47 PM
Two years ago the Ravens' offensive line was hot garbage. Watching them try to block Cincinnati's front four was hilarious. Kubiak showed up and made that unit at least respectable. I think you guys should be cautiously optimistic on that basis alone.

Simple Jaded
03-12-2015, 12:09 AM
Two years ago the Ravens' offensive line was hot garbage. Watching them try to block Cincinnati's front four was hilarious. Kubiak showed up and made that unit at least respectable. I think you guys should be cautiously optimistic on that basis alone.

I thoroughly believe in these coaches ability to coach playeers up (except Barone, not so sure about him), it's the physical limitations of the "fits the zone blocking scheme" that has me worried. Broncos OL post-SB were tits between the 20's and hot garbage in goal line and short yardage.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2015, 11:28 AM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 2h

Ravens gave S Darian Stewart 1 year, $1.3 million last year. He's visiting Broncos.

Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 2h

Chiefs signed DL Vance Walker to 3 yr/10 mill deal last year, then released him last week after 1 year/$3.75 million. He's visiting Broncos.

Poet
03-12-2015, 11:31 AM
I thoroughly believe in these coaches ability to coach playeers up (except Barone, not so sure about him), it's the physical limitations of the "fits the zone blocking scheme" that has me worried. Broncos OL post-SB were tits between the 20's and hot garbage in goal line and short yardage.

I can understand that concern. I don't know, dude is a great offensive mind. You'll be alright.

Cugel
03-12-2015, 11:42 AM
It’s not the Broncos are poor so much as they had already spent a large percentage of their payroll before free agency began.

In 2015 alone, the Broncos will pay $15 million to quarterback Peyton Manning, $12.822 million to receiver Demaryius Thomas, $10.9 million to cornerback Chris Harris, $10 million to left tackle Ryan Clady and $9.754 million to outside linebacker Von Miller.

That’s $58.48 million, or 39.1 percent, of the Broncos’ salary cap, allocated to five players.

We’ll take it out to six more players. The Broncos this season will pay DeMarcus Ware ($7 million), Emmanuel Sanders ($7 million, including a deferred $3 million signing bonus that will be paid Sunday), T.J. Ward ($6.5 million), Aqib Talib ($6 million), Louis Vasquez ($5 million) and freshly signed tight end Owen Daniels ($4.75 million, including a $3 million signing bonus) a combined $36.25 million.

The top 11 players, thus, account for $94.73 million, or 63.3 percent of the Broncos’ payroll.

The other 42 players get to split $54.9 million, or an average of $1.31 million.

That is actually the way you have to do things in the NFL. The Patriots do that all the time. It's called salary cap discipline.

You identify 5 or 6 players you want to pay and keep long term, like Tom Brady or Gronkowski, then everybody else is expendable. "Wes Welker, you caught 110 passes and want a big payday? Have fun in Denver!" They didn't over-bid for Darrell Revis or Brandon Browner. Fans and the media are freaking out in N.E. right now: "OMG! We have no CBs! What are they going to do?"

They'll find somebody, that's what. "Rahim Moore, Orlando Franklin, Julius Thomas, you want big money. Good luck elsewhere. Peyton, we want you to re-structure. Demaryius, we want you back but not at $15 million a year. How about $12 million franchise tag?"

In 2016 they are going to have to find $15 million a year to re-sign Von Miller. You know what? Aquib Talib is suddenly going to be expendable and they will try and put Bradley Roby into his place with his $1 million a year rookie contract.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2015, 12:50 PM
Also, we're meeting with Ravens safety Darian Stewart. He could actually start for us, given our lack of depth there

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 2h

#Broncos have S Darian Stewart in for visit because Rahim Moore will soon sign deal with #Texans -- will be 3rd starter to sign elsewhere

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2015, 03:07 PM
Vic Lombardi retweeted
John McClain @McClain_on_NFL · 33m

FS Rahim Moore agrees to 3 year deal for $12 million with Texans.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2015, 03:33 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 6m

Rahim Moore doesn't do Twitter. But just in case he does (under an assumed name like Ethel), wanna thank him for doing Thursday Night Live.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2015, 03:44 PM
Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 53m

Shelley Smith coming for visit, but Elway said Schofield, especially, Garland and Paradis will get chance in OL -- http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/12368/broncos-offensive-line-poised-for-youth-movement …

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 55m

#Broncos still have G/C Shelley Smith slated for visit Friday, was on Texans practice squad/roster in '10, on IR for Texans in '11 w/Kubiak.

Simple Jaded
03-12-2015, 10:30 PM
$5 MM for Owen Daniels this season? They could have Evan Mathis right now for $5.5.

Way, way overpaid.

VonDoom
03-13-2015, 07:04 AM
$5 MM for Owen Daniels this season? They could have Evan Mathis right now for $5.5.

Way, way overpaid.

His cap number is 2.75. Klis seems to be talking about cash not cap, though I'm not sure why, unless he's saying that we have no cash on hand to pay anyone

dogfish
03-13-2015, 06:42 PM

i thought you loved CSU guys?

Buff
03-13-2015, 06:57 PM
i thought you loved CSU guys?

I've killed for less.

dogfish
03-13-2015, 06:58 PM
I've killed for less.

killed what? a four-pack of wine coolers?

:D