PDA

View Full Version : Julius Thomas parting Free Agency letter to fans and those interested

GEM
03-11-2015, 02:56 PM
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/julius-thomas-free-agency-letter/

I suppose you might have heard the news by now.

Today, I signed a long-term contract to become a member of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

One of my bigger priorities going into this offseason was signing with a team that I feel really values me. The Jaguars made it clear that they were excited to have me as a cornerstone of their franchise, and that means a lot.

It’s a new city, a new system and a new environment. A new start, really.

First and foremost, I want to make sure that the Denver fans understand that my decision to leave has nothing to do with them. If you had asked me in June if I was going to be a free agent right now, I would have told you no. I really thought I was going to sign a long-term deal with the Broncos last summer. I was so confident that I’d be with the franchise for a long time that I purchased a home in Denver last June. I had to let it go in September because it became clear that the management didn’t want to make a long-term commitment to me.

I understand that their decision wasn’t personal, and I’m not treating it that way.

GEM
03-11-2015, 02:57 PM
I appreciate the letter, especially after the crap from his dad. Good luck, you picked up your money, happy we didn't spend it, but good luck in future endeavors.

SR
03-11-2015, 02:58 PM
Punk ass

tomjonesrocks
03-11-2015, 03:02 PM
More than he had to do. Fans have been pretty vicious and unappreciative to him -- other guys probably would have taken some shots on the way out the door.

Get dat money JT

Rick
03-11-2015, 03:05 PM
I am glad we didn't give him the cash he wanted but can't fault the man for wanting to get paid in the Not For Long league.

GEM
03-11-2015, 03:06 PM
He did take some shots in there:

Going into a new offense with a young, talented quarterback is going to be a big change for me. The Jaguars were the youngest team in the league last year, and for so long in Denver, I was the young guy. I learned so much in that locker room from so many great players in this league, and I’m looking forward to passing their approach to the game and winning mentality on to this young franchise. The city of Jacksonville is ready for a winning football team, and I plan to do my part to give them one.

While in Denver, I was the young guy....well yea, you were drafted here, who else would have been younger, other than the guys that got drafted after you. Pretty silly. A young, talented qb....appreciate the old, talented one, without him you probably wouldn't have just gotten the pay day you just did.

Overall I appreciate the letter though, he didn't have to do that and most guys don't.

Northman
03-11-2015, 03:11 PM
I appreciate the letter, especially after the crap from his dad. Good luck, you picked up your money, happy we didn't spend it, but good luck in future endeavors.

Yea, pretty much where i stand. Hope he enjoys the money but like someone told Lindsey Jones when she started parading the pity party for JT on twitter, the fact that JT remained silent after his dad said what he did leaves a bad taste in the mouth of some Denver fans, myself included. To me, him coming out and dousing the flames that his dad stoked would of meant more to me than this letter. Good luck to him though, i have a feeling he will find it far tougher to reach the numbers he had in Denver but if making money was his primary goal he did what was best for him. Like you GEM, just glad we didnt spend the money.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2015, 03:24 PM
I wish "Orange Julius" only the best

GEM
03-11-2015, 03:34 PM
I wish "Orange Julius" only the best

Green and Black Julius just doesn't have the same ring. :lol:

MileHighCrew
03-11-2015, 03:38 PM
he doesn't seem to happy with the Broncos front office. last I heard they made him a pretty huge offer that he rejected

Valar Morghulis
03-11-2015, 03:39 PM
Nice touch.

BroncoNut
03-11-2015, 03:40 PM
Punk ass

I'm starting to think you are

SR
03-11-2015, 03:55 PM
I'm starting to think you are

That's ok.

weazel
03-11-2015, 04:19 PM
Jaguars are the Jaguars because they pay an oft-injured TE 9 million a season.

Ravage!!!
03-11-2015, 04:49 PM
he doesn't seem to happy with the Broncos front office. last I heard they made him a pretty huge offer that he rejected

An offer that made him the 9th highest paid TE in the NFL. I don't blame him for turning it down. Our offer was really a 6.5 million dollar a year offer.

Good Luck JT... I can't blame you one single bit for taking the contrat offered to you. Everyone would have made that same decision.

Poet
03-11-2015, 04:59 PM
An offer that made him the 9th highest paid TE in the NFL. I don't blame him for turning it down. Our offer was really a 6.5 million dollar a year offer.

Good Luck JT... I can't blame you one single bit for taking the contrat offered to you. Everyone would have made that same decision.

There was no way he was going to take that deal, and Denver surely knew that when they offered it to him. The Broncos and JT made a business decision. This isn't anything new.

LawDog
03-11-2015, 05:06 PM
Couple the statement that he knew in September that he wasn't going to continue long term in Denver and the way he approached the season and returning from injury, and it just makes you wonder.

Also, not sure how he can say that "management" did not have faith in him long term after they offered him 8 million a year to extend his contract last year. Faith only comes with top dollar? See ya Julius, have fun in mediocre-ville, you should invite Decker down to watch the playoffs with you next year.

tomjonesrocks
03-11-2015, 05:07 PM
he doesn't seem to happy with the Broncos front office.

If true, writing a classy letter to the fans on the way out the door is a smart way to send a little public consternation their way over their decision...

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-11-2015, 05:39 PM
This letter does nothing for me.

OrangeHoof
03-11-2015, 06:06 PM
No ill will towards the guy. He didn't learn from Decker that there's more to the NFL than money. He got his payday and now will have to play on losing teams and wonder what made him leave an organization that wants to win Super Bowls.

Still, not easy to turn down the money when they wave it at you.

Ravage!!!
03-11-2015, 06:29 PM
Couple the statement that he knew in September that he wasn't going to continue long term in Denver and the way he approached the season and returning from injury, and it just makes you wonder.

Also, not sure how he can say that "management" did not have faith in him long term after they offered him 8 million a year to extend his contract last year. Faith only comes with top dollar? See ya Julius, have fun in mediocre-ville, you should invite Decker down to watch the playoffs with you next year.

Again.. it wasn't an 8 million dollar a year deal..it was a 6.5 million dollar a year deal. As King said, it was an offer that Denver knew he wouldn't accept.

FanInAZ
03-11-2015, 07:07 PM
Jacksonville might be the most ideal place for players with conic injury problems because they'll never have do deal with the wear & tear of a play-off run.

Northman
03-11-2015, 07:11 PM
Jacksonville might be the most ideal place for players with conic injury problems because they'll never have do deal with the wear & tear of a play-off run.

:lol:

Buff
03-11-2015, 07:58 PM
There is a certain underlying immaturity that rubs me the wrong way about Julius. I don't want to lump myself in with the "I disparage every player on their way out" club. I don't begrudge him for getting paid... But through his weekly radio show, and his dad's comments, he just exudes this aura of a young arrogant guy who really thinks he is special and unique and the first guy who has ever gone through this process.

Every action leading up to this letter - and the letter itself - would indicate that he in fact did take everything very personally.

LawDog
03-11-2015, 08:50 PM
Again.. it wasn't an 8 million dollar a year deal..it was a 6.5 million dollar a year deal. As King said, it was an offer that Denver knew he wouldn't accept.

That's a bullshit argument. Thomas was obligated to play out his rookie contract in 2014 for $645k. They offered him a five year extension for $40 mil (8 per year), which would eliminate the risk for Thomas of an injury or poor performance tanking his free agency value. The logic of a six year deal at $6.77 mil/year is like saying Peyton has played in the NFL for about $2 million a year.

Thomas gambled and got paid, but his deal with Jax can only be compared to the $8/year he was offered, not his salary last year.

Karrin.feser5@gmail.com
03-11-2015, 09:00 PM
I strongly feel that the Broncos not signing Julius is going to come back to haunt them.

SR
03-11-2015, 09:10 PM
I strongly feel that the Broncos not signing Julius is going to come back to haunt them.

How would it haunt them? When he has a mediocre year with a team that is trying so very hard to find its identity while Denver makes the playoffs?

BroncoJoe
03-11-2015, 09:23 PM
Not a Bronco anymore.

:deadtome:

I wish him nothing.

Simple Jaded
03-11-2015, 11:05 PM
Got butthurt over managements offer, put his house up for sale, scored 10 TDs and then shut it down.

JT's 2014 season synopsis.

Timmy!
03-12-2015, 12:19 AM
This letter does nothing for me.

We'd be better off if he would just send one of his new autographed jags jerseys to Bronx and Mo.

MOtorboat
03-12-2015, 12:40 AM
We'd be better off if he would just send one of his new autographed jags jerseys to Bronx and Mo.

My bad. I believe the correct response is: **** him, he's a douche.

Did I get that right?

Timmy!
03-12-2015, 12:52 AM
My bad. I believe the correct response is: **** him, he's a douche.

Did I get that right?

You left out soft, injury prone, and quiter (if a prior article with former teammates and a hof te are to be believed). I don't think Julius is a douche. I think he is an overrated, soft, injury prone one dimension TE who wouldn't be worth close to 9 mil per in this offense. I also think he has a ton of talent and is a big red zone threat. However, it sure seems like the article where teammates said Julius is all about the money, and doesn't really care deeply about football were spot on. I certainly don't fault the guy for getting paid, but I'm happy the Broncos didn't pay 9 mil+ a year for him.

MOtorboat
03-12-2015, 12:55 AM
You left out soft, injury prone, and quiter (if a prior article with former teammates and a hof te are to be believed). I don't think Julius is a douche. I think he is an overrated, soft, injury prone one dimension TE who wouldn't be worth close to 9 mil per in this offense. I also think he has a ton of talent and is a big red zone threat. However, it sure seems like the article where teammates said Julius is all about the money, and doesn't really care deeply about football were spot on. I certainly don't fault the guy for getting paid, but I'm happy the Broncos didn't pay 9 mil+ a year for him.

I don't disagree about the money. Although, asking Manning to take less was seemingly worthless at this point.

But don't ask me to say Denver didn't downgrade the position, because they did.

Timmy!
03-12-2015, 01:01 AM
I don't disagree about the money. Although, asking Manning to take less was seemingly worthless at this point.

I'm a little lost on the paycut myself....figured it was for OL help, but so far nothing. I certainly won't argue that the Broncos are improved at TE. That's just not true. I do think Green will surprise a little, and I like Daniels. Combined, I'd expect their stats to be pretty similar to JT's this year, especially if JT gets injured, again.

MOtorboat
03-12-2015, 01:05 AM
I'm a little lost on the paycut myself....figured it was for OL help, but so far nothing. I certainly won't argue that the Broncos are improved at TE. That's just not true. I do think Green will surprise a little, and I like Daniels. Combined, I'd expect their stats to be pretty similar to JT's this year, especially if JT gets injured, again.

Owen Daniels hasn't played 16 full games since 2008. So, while we're talking about how "soft" and "injury prone" Thomas is, that should be mentioned. Of course it's not because everyone wants things to be rosy.

Timmy!
03-12-2015, 01:08 AM
Owen Daniels hasn't played 16 full games since 2008. So, while we're talking about how "soft" and "injury prone" Thomas is, that should be mentioned. Of course it's not because everyone wants things to be rosy.

Daniels has knee issues if memory serves.

sneakers
03-12-2015, 03:02 AM
have fun with bork bortles

Northman
03-12-2015, 07:24 AM
Lol Bork.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-12-2015, 08:49 AM

It's looking like the pay cut was just so we could keep DT and budget for the draft because according to what I've read that's all we have money for. IMO, if he took a cut to keep DT it was well worth

weazel
03-12-2015, 09:22 AM
Dude did the right thing, with his string of injuries I'm sure he knows he's not going to play for a long time, why not get paid as much as you can when you are offered it.

Buff
03-12-2015, 09:33 AM
Dude did the right thing, with his string of injuries I'm sure he knows he's not going to play for a long time, why not get paid as much as you can when you are offered it.

#HotTakes

Ravage!!!
03-12-2015, 10:23 AM
That's a bullshit argument. Thomas was obligated to play out his rookie contract in 2014 for $645k. They offered him a five year extension for $40 mil (8 per year), which would eliminate the risk for Thomas of an injury or poor performance tanking his free agency value. The logic of a six year deal at $6.77 mil/year is like saying Peyton has played in the NFL for about $2 million a year.

Thomas gambled and got paid, but his deal with Jax can only be compared to the $8/year he was offered, not his salary last year.

No. You are asking .50 per apple. I give you 1 dollar but take three and tell you that I'm just paying you for the 2 apples. How much are you really getting for the 3 apples? Its the SAME thing. You can't sign a guy to a contract and then tell him has to play the 6th year of that contract under the low amount, and tell him he's earning 8 a year for 5. :lol: Doesn't work that way... EVER.

He was obligated to play under his first contract, and he did. Elway tried to get him for the 6.5, hoping for a bargain. Didn't work out that way. I'm sure you are glad it happned.

Ravage!!!
03-12-2015, 10:24 AM
How would it haunt them? When he has a mediocre year with a team that is trying so very hard to find its identity while Denver makes the playoffs?

Year 1 without Manning is whenit will hurt them. WHen we are struggling to get intot he endzone via the pass.. is when it will hurt them (didn't you see how it hurt not to have Decker in the redzone this last year..because it did a LOT). So we may be better contenders THIS year for the playoffs, that may n ot be the case NEXT year.

weazel
03-12-2015, 10:42 AM
#HotTakes

you sarcastic sonofa...!

LawDog
03-12-2015, 10:43 AM
No. You are asking .50 per apple. I give you 1 dollar but take three and tell you that I'm just paying you for the 2 apples. How much are you really getting for the 3 apples? Its the SAME thing. You can't sign a guy to a contract and then tell him has to play the 6th year of that contract under the low amount, and tell him he's earning 8 a year for 5. :lol: Doesn't work that way... EVER.

He was obligated to play under his first contract, and he did. Elway tried to get him for the 6.5, hoping for a bargain. Didn't work out that way. I'm sure you are glad it happned.

You don't understand what you are talking about. Denver has a long history of having rookies play out their first contract then paying them in the second contract. The fact that the extension was happening prior to the end of the first contract doesn't change the value of the extension. I would have been happy to have JT around, for 8/mil a year not 9.

And your apple example is just flat out stupid. I already bought the first apple for .10. I offered to pay a dollar for the next two. Doesn't create a situation where the three apples are now at .37 apiece. Think of it this way, I wasn't sure of the quality of the first apples I bought, so we agree I only will pay .10 for them. Now I know you've got pretty good apples, so I agree to pay a premium for future apples at .50 each.

Valar Morghulis
03-12-2015, 10:44 AM
How do you like them apples

Cugel
03-12-2015, 11:10 AM
They offered him $8 million a year in 2014. When he wanted to negotiate more, they lost interest. This off-season they didn't even bother to contact him at all. He says he knew in September that "management", i.e. Elway, simply decided to move on from him at that point.

Well, he was willing to risk not signing and having another injury in order to test the FA market and he got $9 million a year. I'd say a million $ per year on a 5 year deal is significant.

There's not ONE fan who criticizes J.T. who would take $1 million a year less to stay in a place rather than move. NOBODY would do that. You'd have to be crazy.

And what's the upside of sticking around? True, Jacksonville has Bortles at QB but the Broncos have 1 more year of Peyton, and then Brian Griese, I mean Brock Osweiler.

(That was actually not an intentional Freudian slip, I just typed that before I could think "Osweiler, not Griese" and then decided to let it stand, because it's true, and John Elway agrees, or he wouldn't be bringing Peyton back for 1 more year instead of moving on the the Osweiler era).

Poet
03-12-2015, 11:11 AM
You don't understand what you are talking about. Denver has a long history of having rookies play out their first contract then paying them in the second contract. The fact that the extension was happening prior to the end of the first contract doesn't change the value of the extension. I would have been happy to have JT around, for 8/mil a year not 9.

And your apple example is just flat out stupid. I already bought the first apple for .10. I offered to pay a dollar for the next two. Doesn't create a situation where the three apples are now at .37 apiece. Think of it this way, I wasn't sure of the quality of the first apples I bought, so we agree I only will pay .10 for them. Now I know you've got pretty good apples, so I agree to pay a premium for future apples at .50 each.

The problem is that those apples are worth more because of what another consumer is willing to spend. The apple salesman knows this -I refuse to actually type that the apple knows this- and so does everyone else at the market, although they might feel differently about what they think the apple is worth.

Also, a million more bucks a year for that type of production is hardly worth quibbling over for a team. I think I can understand why people who dislike his style of play and the like might value him at drastically less, but I'm not sure a million bucks is what the beef was really over.

Cugel
03-12-2015, 11:14 AM
The problem is that those apples are worth more because of what another consumer is willing to spend. The apple salesman knows this -I refuse to actually type that the apple knows this- and so does everyone else at the market, although they might feel differently about what they think the apple is worth.

Also, a million more bucks a year for that type of production is hardly worth quibbling over for a team. I think I can understand why people who dislike his style of play and the like might value him at drastically less, but I'm not sure a million bucks is what the beef was really over.

You think $5 million over the life of the contract is not significant? Well, you add a million here and a million there and pretty soon you're talking some serious money! :laugh:

Poet
03-12-2015, 11:17 AM
You think $5 million over the life of the contract is not significant? Well, you add a million here and a million there and pretty soon you're talking some serious money! :laugh:

For a NFL team that is paying out to an elite player at the position who can also structure the deal in ways that aren't punishing to the cap? No, not really all that significant.

Cugel
03-12-2015, 11:22 AM
For a NFL team that is paying out to an elite player at the position who can also structure the deal in ways that aren't punishing to the cap? No, not really all that significant.

They offered $8 million. He said he knew in September that Elway had lost interest in him. His drop in performance didn't happen in September, but late in the season after he was injured and he got into a kind of dispute with the team over whether he was really injured or not. He scored 3 TDs in the opening game and looked like the next Jimmy Smith, if not the next Shannon Sharpe.

There was NO reason outside of money, for Elway to sour on JT at that point. Yet, J.T. says he knew in September that Elway no longer considered him in the Broncos future. That can ONLY be about the money, because he was looking unbelievably great at that point.

Poet
03-12-2015, 11:23 AM
Yes...

And?

Valar Morghulis
03-12-2015, 11:32 AM
Makes me love Elways style of negotiation even more.

I wish we kept DRC and JT - but I live the fact we did not over pay to do so.

Ravage!!!
03-12-2015, 12:18 PM

I understand completely. We wanted to have him under contract for 6 years and then say we are paying him 8 million over the years of that contract. But we weren't. We were trying to get him on the cheap. No matter how you try to say it, WE wanted to have JT under contract (for a certain amount of money) for 6 years. That contract BOUND JT for an additional 5 years.... but included the year after he signed the contract?? So you just don't count that year?? Really? :lol: I've NEVER seen a contract like that.... EVER. It was an attempt to sign JT to an "extension' without letting him hit the FA market and pay him as the 9th highest TE instead of the 3rd.

Lets say you want to make 10 dollars an hour, and I say I'm willing to pay you 10 dollars an hour for the next 5 hours.. but you have to work the first 2 hours for 1 dollar an hour in order to get the 10 dollars for the remaining 3. Same thing.

JT was going to play out his rookie contract here or not. We probably could have signed him for 8 million a year had we not tried to cheapen it by throwing in the 6th one for free. That IS insulting, and it would have been STUPID for JT to sign that deal..... which is why he didn't. Like King said, Elway knew he wouldn't sign that deal when it was offered. But why not try to get the cheap deal, right?

LawDog
03-12-2015, 01:15 PM
Rav, look at Chris Harris' deal. He signed a five year extension worth 42.5 including a signing bonus. The bonus was split, half when he signed and the other half to be paid later. He got more money during the calendar year of his existing contract but they DID NOT renegotiate his salary for that last year. The value of the contract is based solely on the five year extension. That is how it is done. Your way is just a player whining that he was offered a cheapo deal. Not true no many how many apples you want to throw in.

Your way is like saying JT has a six year deal worth 7.6/yr but Jax got Den to pick up 645k of the deal... In exchange for JT playing one last year for Den.

BroncoJoe
03-12-2015, 01:46 PM
F Julius. He's no longer a Broncos player, so who cares?

You guys get way too enamored with players, and lose sight of the team. If a guy isn't wearing orange and blue, I couldn't care less. If he was after money 1st and foremost, good riddance. I am betting his production in JAX is going to drop significantly.

Poet
03-12-2015, 01:49 PM
Joe, I think the posters here get riled up over the players because they love the team. JMO.

BroncoJoe
03-12-2015, 01:51 PM
Joe, I think the posters here get riled up over the players because they love the team. JMO.

Other than a few immortals in Broncos history, there aren't any players to get that upset over. Julius is one of them.

Northman
03-12-2015, 01:52 PM

You must not love your team, i never see you carry on the way some of the guys here do when players leave.

Poet
03-12-2015, 01:58 PM
You must not love your team, i never see you carry on the way some of the guys here do when players leave.

You got me! I've secretly been a Green Bay fan this entire time. ;)

We tend to resign our guys who are good. You guys and all those big FA signings the past years have kind of gotten away from that. I tend to get a little sad when some of our guys go. Michael Johnson played hard for us and did good charity work around the country. He was a good dude. Jonathan Joseph left and it bummed me out because he played his ass off for us.

turftoad
03-12-2015, 02:22 PM
Other than a few immortals in Broncos history, there aren't any players to get that upset over. Julius is one of them.

Thanks to Free Agency.

Don't you miss the ole days Joe?

TXBRONC
03-12-2015, 02:43 PM

By getting a tight end that is a better blocker and is also solid receiver that isn't a downgrade.

MOtorboat
03-12-2015, 02:47 PM
By getting a tight end that can is better blocker and is also solid receiver that isn't a downgrade.

Whatever can is better to make you sleep at night.

BroncoJoe
03-12-2015, 02:49 PM
Thanks to Free Agency.

Don't you miss the ole days Joe?

Yup. I really couldn't give a rats ass about 90% of the players in today's game.

Northman
03-12-2015, 03:12 PM
Yup. I really couldn't give a rats ass about 90% of the players in today's game.

Pretty much.

Hawgdriver
03-12-2015, 03:17 PM
I foresee Jacksonville's 4 fans not being all that "entertained" by a one-dimensional TE sitting on the bench. But who knows?

It was fun while it lasted, but most of us moved on when he failed to take the field after the latest injury/net-present-value-decision.

So I'm like..Oh, JT..you're still here?

TXBRONC
03-12-2015, 03:18 PM
Whatever can is better to make you sleep at night.

I sleep just fine.

Ravage!!!
03-12-2015, 04:23 PM
By getting a tight end that is a better blocker and is also solid receiver that isn't a downgrade.

It absolutellyis a downgrade..its not even close.

NightTerror218
03-12-2015, 06:02 PM

Not if we are running g ball more and JT was asked to block. He whiffs on blocks, put it I to basketball terms for Jat, like shooting at airball from free throw line.

TXBRONC
03-12-2015, 06:05 PM

Denver is going to run the ball more so I don't see how getting a tight end that can block better than J. Thomas is a downgrade.

Hawgdriver
03-13-2015, 09:21 AM
Denver is going to run the ball more so I don't see how getting a tight end that can block better than J. Thomas is a downgrade.

Total downgrade, it's not debatable.

Jt's talent was all-world in the passing game. Maybe his blocking improves. The problem with jt was want-to. Maybe he would have sold out for the team after his payday. Maybe not. I'm fine with management's decision. . .moving on. .

Fire Bronc
03-13-2015, 10:15 AM
JT was good in the red zone, where you also had DT, Sanders and Welker drawing alot of the attention, and Manning delivering him the ball, other than that, his stats are pretty pedestrian, and definately not all world. He has had one season with over 50 catches and 500 yards, and he has yet to go through a season without getting hurt. The running game will replace his red zone production. JT does not fit the new system, Virgil Green does. Jt would have been a part time player in Kubiak's system because he can not block, and we will be running the ball. Why would you pay a huge amount of money and hamstring your salary cap to sign a part time player who doesn't fit your system? Guys have to get the glamour offense we have had over the past few years out of their minds, because things are going to change, and for the better. With a dominant running game, Denver averaged almost 31 points a game in 98 and they won the superbowl with it. Personnaly, I am looking forward to this change.

BeefStew25
03-13-2015, 10:37 AM
To me it's more of a "dude go get paid because we can't afford you" type deal.

Hawgdriver
03-13-2015, 01:11 PM
JT was good in the red zone, where you also had DT, Sanders and Welker drawing alot of the attention, and Manning delivering him the ball, other than that, his stats are pretty pedestrian, and definately not all world.

He converted about 50% of red zone targets into 6 points. I checked the stats last year, it was unreal. Something obscene like that, maybe higher. I'd look it up but anyone who watched him back when he was tearing it up can rely on anecdotal. Yes, he had Manning, who was gifted at finding tight spaces in the red area. But it wasn't all Manning, otherwise every TE he'd have catching passes could do the same.

It's revisionist not to acknowledge that JT's receiving ability, especially near the goal line, is among the best TE's on planet Earth.

That said, I'm happy we are moving--big picture and all.

Ravage!!!
03-13-2015, 02:10 PM

Well.. its a passing league and there is a reason that Gronk isn't lauded for how "Great" of a blocker he is. He doesn't get the accolades because of how awesome he is at creating lanes in the 'running game.' HE KILLS defenses because of the mismatch problems he createsin the passing game Same as Graham... and same with JT. Its a fact. JT is one of the very elite in the NFL at his position. Trying to tell me that getting a 'blocking' TE is going to make the team better, to me, is covering yoru eyes and telling yourself what you want to believe/hear. This is a passing league. It's why RBs aren't coveted as much as they used to be, and QBs are your bread and butter.

You know what one of the best FA signings this year was?? Graham to Seattle. It's not because Graham is known to be a 'road grater' on the running game. Graham didn't want WR money because of how well he does at blocking down on the end/tackle.

But.. it is what it is. We have moved on. But doesn't mean I'm going to sit here and try to justify it by saying "we are better off"... because we aren't. We are just going to have to DUE with what we have in place.

GEM
03-13-2015, 02:17 PM
Honestly, what do you want us to do....cry because we couldn't keep him at his price tag? Sure it sucks. No, Green isn't the pass catcher Thomas is...so what? Does that make you feel better? Salary caps suck ass. Now what? No one is justifying that Green is going to replace Thomas. We're just stuck with it, some are just trying to be optimistic about it.

FanInAZ
03-13-2015, 03:05 PM
Well.. its a passing league...

That mentality resulted in the Seahawks throwing a game losing pick instead of letting their #1 O weapon score the winning TD. By the way, of the 12 teams that reached the play-offs last year, 2 rushed more then they passes & 2 others had what would qualify as "balanced Os."

Reached Superbowl:
Patriots: 609 passes, 438 rushes http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/2014.htm
Seahawks: 454 passes, 525 rushes http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/2014.htm

Reached Conference Championship Games:
Packers: 536 passes, 435 rushes http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2014.htm
Colts: 661 passes, 415 rushes http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/2014.htm

Reached Divisional Play-off Games:
Ravens: 554 passes, 448 rushes http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/2014.htm
Cowboys: 476 passes, 508 rushes http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/2014.htm
Broncos: 607 passes, 443 rushes http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/2014.htm
Panthers: 545 passes, 473 rushes http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/2014.htm

Reached Wild Card Games:
Lions: 604 passes, 396 passes http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/2014.htm
Cardinals: 568 passes, 397 rushes http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/crd/2014.htm
Steelers: 612 passes, 423 rushes http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/2014.htm
Bengals: 503 passes, 492 rushes http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/2014.htm

Poet
03-13-2015, 03:19 PM
I think you're being unfair when you said that the mentality resulted in the pick. That type of play was very much a part of the Seahawk's offense, and the Seahawk offense was predicated upon Lynch.

FanInAZ
03-13-2015, 03:28 PM
I think you're being unfair when you said that the mentality resulted in the pick. That type of play was very much a part of the Seahawk's offense, and the Seahawk offense was predicated upon Lynch.

Nice theory, the reality was the defender said afterwards recognized exactly what the Seahawks were going to do before the ball was snapped. That's why he was able to jump the rout.

Poet
03-13-2015, 03:35 PM
Nice theory, the reality was the defender said afterwards recognized exactly what the Seahawks were going to do before the ball was snapped. That's why he was able to jump the rout.

That's just good coaching and recognizing the specific play. That doesn't mean that throwing the ball there is bad. Even BB said that throwing the ball there was good because the Patriots HAD to line up to stop the run. It was move, counter-move, move. You can criticize the 'Hawks for being predictable in that call. Or, you can criticize the WR for not getting to the ball quick enough or fighting for it.

Also, to reiterate, the 'Hawks run the ball. That's their offense. They didn't just willy nilly decide to throw it out the window. They called a play that they call a lot that is part of their run first offense.

Ravage!!!
03-14-2015, 11:12 AM
That mentality resulted in the Seahawks throwing a game losing pick instead of letting their #1 O weapon score the winning TD. By the way, of the 12 teams that reached the play-offs last year, 2 rushed more then they passes & 2 others had what would qualify as "balanced Os."

Reached Superbowl:
Patriots: 609 passes, 438 rushes http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/2014.htm
Seahawks: 454 passes, 525 rushes http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/2014.htm

Reached Conference Championship Games:
Packers: 536 passes, 435 rushes http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2014.htm
Colts: 661 passes, 415 rushes http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/2014.htm

Reached Divisional Play-off Games:
Ravens: 554 passes, 448 rushes http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/2014.htm
Cowboys: 476 passes, 508 rushes http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/2014.htm
Broncos: 607 passes, 443 rushes http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/2014.htm
Panthers: 545 passes, 473 rushes http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/2014.htm

Reached Wild Card Games:
Lions: 604 passes, 396 passes http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/2014.htm
Cardinals: 568 passes, 397 rushes http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/crd/2014.htm
Steelers: 612 passes, 423 rushes http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/2014.htm
Bengals: 503 passes, 492 rushes http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/2014.htm

So you are honestly going to tell me that the NFL is not a passing league? That is what you are going to tell me, or try to tell me, by showing me these stats? Because what I'm seeing, is a league that throws much more than they ever have in history, and for much more yardage and TDs than they have in history. The Super Bowl winning team, won it through the air. You just told me that 66% of the playoff teams, throws the ball more than running it.

The Seahawks... are definitely a running team as they dn't have a QB that can carry the team with his arm, not to mention having very few WRs. They were a defense oriented team that relied on their defense to keep them close, and run the ball.