PDA

View Full Version : Compensatory Picks Next Year......

WARHORSE
03-10-2015, 05:54 PM
We knew we would lose Julius and Franklin. We got Chris Harris done during the season which helps us along the compensatory lines. Knighton can very well be overpaid in the end, and Irvin is being looked at as well.

If Knighton gets 8 mil a year or better, that would give us two contracts that would possibly bring third rounders, and one that brings a fourth. Irvin remains to be seen.

Since its been pretty much crickets in here, I thought Id point that out.

There............feel better now? ;)

BroncoWave
03-10-2015, 05:57 PM
Yeah, we should def get some good comp picks next year. We might lose Moore as well, which would be another one.

VonDoom
03-10-2015, 06:11 PM
I think there are only three 3rd rounders given away. I believe Suh and Maxwell will be two of them. I wouldn't hold my breath for a 3rd. 4th is more likely

WARHORSE
03-10-2015, 06:16 PM
I think there are only three 3rd rounders given away. I believe Suh and Maxwell will be two of them. I wouldn't hold my breath for a 3rd. 4th is more likely

True, its evaluated on whats spent per year but its also calculated according to what you sign back. If we lose three players, Franklin...Knighton....Thomas, and they all three go for over 7 mil a year, we will definitely be in the running for a third and probably more simply due to the number of players and the combined money.

Had we signed Chris HARRIS to his contract during the offseason, then his contract would have worked against us.

The Owen Daniels and Virgil Green contracts will probably offset Irvin, but theres still more to come.

The point is, if we do lose players, we want them to be overpaid......it helps us.

Ziggy
03-10-2015, 06:43 PM
No one really knows what the true formula for comp picks are, outside of the folks that are actually awarding the picks. A lot of it has to do with contracts, but it also has to do with performance and so on. JT should net us a 4th at worst, and possibly a 3rd. Franklin should be a 4th or 5th. Owen Daniels will probably cancel out Rahim's contract, but there's still more to come on both sides.

Lancane
03-10-2015, 07:16 PM
J. Thomas is one of the highest rated free agents this off-season he'll probably net a 3rd to be honest, I would say Denver will get a 4th for Knighton and maybe another for Franklin unless we sign Wisniewski which looks likely. Moore will net less according to the current formula.

ShaneFalco
03-10-2015, 08:09 PM
so we get picks the year manning retires?

Lancane
03-10-2015, 08:15 PM
so we get picks the year manning retires?

No, retirement doesn't net picks...lol. I wish, but no released players and retiring players have no effect on the compensation picks.

tubby
03-10-2015, 09:45 PM
Whatever you do don't ask the midget.

CrazyHorse
03-13-2015, 11:25 PM
No, retirement doesn't net picks...lol. I wish, but no released players and retiring players have no effect on the compensation picks.

What if when Manning retires after his contract is up and he signs a one-day contract to retire a Colt. We lost him in free agency so we technically should get one.

VonDoom
03-14-2015, 06:16 AM
What if when Manning retires after his contract is up and he signs a one-day contract to retire a Colt. We lost him in free agency so we technically should get one.

That still doesn't work. The comp picks depend on the value of the contract as well as how well the player does next year. In that situation, Manning's contract would be worth nothing and he wouldn't play at all.

DenBronx
03-14-2015, 06:27 AM

Mmmmm I highly doubt that's how it works.

OrangeHoof
03-14-2015, 06:06 PM
It always seems to be less compensation that what I expected but it seems to be roughly "what you lost" minus "what you signed". We signed a lot of guys last year. This year, I can only think of Owen Daniels that was a major free agent get. We missed out on a few guys we wanted. So, it ought to be a very good year for comp picks.

The problem is that, statistically, the 3rds are a 50-50 chance of becoming a solid NFL starter. The 4ths and below are a crapshoot. So, these extra comp picks are mostly just chess pieces unless you are really lucky or really good.

DenBronx
03-14-2015, 06:10 PM
I rate this offseason very Shanahanish.

CrazyHorse
03-16-2015, 12:05 AM

I know it doesn't. We should get like 3 or 4 comp picks in this draft though which will be nice. I might be in the minority but I think Manning plays out his contract.

DenBronx
03-16-2015, 01:27 AM

I know it doesn't. We should get like 3 or 4 comp picks in this draft though which will be nice. I might be in the minority but I think Manning plays out his contract.

Depends if he can stay healthy this year or not.

Im excited he's coming back but part of me thinks were going to run into a buzz saw when we face NE, Indy or Seattle again. Did we do enough this offseason to keep us in the game? I'm still on the fence on that one.

I would like to see more of Brock at some point in the season. At least to tell us what we have post Manning.

FanInAZ
03-16-2015, 01:37 AM
Didn't MO post the precised equation that the NFL uses last year? If I remember right, there's a maximum number of pick to be distributed among the different teams. It might have been something like 30.

WARHORSE
03-16-2015, 05:06 PM
Didn't MO post the precised equation that the NFL uses last year? If I remember right, there's a maximum number of pick to be distributed among the different teams. It might have been something like 30.

Look at what this offense did in New England in the playoffs this year. Look at this offense against Belichick in the past. Yes Baltimore lost, but it they had every opportunity and should have won.

Belichick hated playing Shanny and Kubes.

If we can run the ball well, this offense can do a ton and because we know Peyton cant throw it 65 yards, this offense is going to be a blessing for him.

underrated29
03-16-2015, 05:11 PM
We should get some good comp picks. JT can almost assuredly get us a 3rd.

Merc
03-17-2015, 10:39 AM
I rate this offseason very Shanahanish.

Many people were excited about "getting the band back together". Here's hoping it looks more like late 90s, but it's starting to look like the later Shanahan years.

Ziggy
03-17-2015, 11:54 AM
Many people were excited about "getting the band back together". Here's hoping it looks more like late 90s, but it's starting to look like the later Shanahan years.

At what point did Shanahan have a team with 10 pro bowlers on it in those "later" years? This team looks nothing like those rosters. Coaches, yes. Players, no. Elway has made this team into the most talented roster in the league. At no point point after the Elway years could Shanahan come close to saying that.

sneakers
03-19-2015, 03:02 AM
woohoo! 5 7th round picks here we come!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-19-2015, 08:47 AM
woohoo! 5 7th round picks here we come!

Lol, that's how I feel about it.

WARHORSE
03-20-2015, 06:37 PM
Lol, that's how I feel about it.

Understood.

But what I remind myself about is all the fantastic players that have come through Denver who were late round picks or undrafted.

And isnt true....the more balls you have in the lottery the better your chance to win?

Wonder what the percentages are on first round picks making an impact vs later round picks.

That would be interesting.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-20-2015, 07:50 PM
Understood.

But what I remind myself about is all the fantastic players that have come through Denver who were late round picks or undrafted.

And isnt true....the more balls you have in the lottery the better your chance to win?

Wonder what the percentages are on first round picks making an impact vs later round picks.

That would be interesting.

The statistics reflect what you would expect. The earlier round picks have a much higher probability of contributing.

I'm hoping we can parlay a few of our existing late round picks into another 3rd or 4th.

Valar Morghulis
03-21-2015, 04:55 AM
Was Chris Harris picked during Elways time?

I think the front office have done a great job of picking up value in the draft/UDFA

Canmore
03-21-2015, 05:13 AM

I think the front office have done a great job of picking up value in the draft/UDFA

He was picked up in 2011...Elway's first year.

NightTerror218
03-21-2015, 11:55 AM
When did shannahan have a good defense in the later years? I believe that is part of reason he got the Axe.

WARHORSE
03-21-2015, 01:50 PM

He was picked up in 2011...Elway's first year.

Actually undrafted if you can believe it. Never even got a combine invite. Go figure.

I dont understand it because he set records at U of Kansas and was actually number two in tackles on their ALL TIME list of players.

And yet.....no combine invite.

May this be a lights on moment for the Broncos .....college PRODUCTION is a great draft evaluator. See: Dumerville, Trevathan, Woodyard, Smith, etc, etc.

Traveler
03-23-2015, 12:50 PM
I really wish the team would stop talking so much about this year or next years possible compensatory picks. No one really know what the league or formula is. Don't be surprised if they wind up with less than expected.

Ziggy
03-23-2015, 01:04 PM
Elway is doing his best Ozzy Newsome impression. The guy builds his teams on draft picks year after year and the Ravens are always competitive with 2 super bowls to boot. Anyone see the Ravens making a big splash in free agency this year? They've signed exactly one no-name free agent from another team. Ozzy knows how to win offseasons. Elway is learning. I like what he's doing so far.

The Broncos only have roughly 30 players under contract for the 2016 season. Elway is going to build this team long term through the draft like all of the great GM's do. Compensatory picks are a big part of that.

VonDoom
03-23-2015, 01:10 PM
Elway is doing his best Ozzy Newsome impression. The guy builds his teams on draft picks year after year and the Ravens are always competitive with 2 super bowls to boot. Anyone see the Ravens making a big splash in free agency this year? They've signed exactly one no-name free agent from another team. Ozzy knows how to win offseasons. Elway is learning. I like what he's doing so far.

The Broncos only have roughly 30 players under contract for the 2016 season. Elway is going to build this team long term through the draft like all of the great GM's do. Compensatory picks are a big part of that.

Agreed. This is the first year we're going to have comp picks in a while, and now next year as well. Elway is following a good model to build long term.

My only issue with it this year is that this is likely to be Manning's last. So we made him take a pay cut, then went for cheaper alternatives to every player that left? And I like the looks of the new coaching staff, but I imagine it will take more than one year to really gel and see what their plan will be. Not a great environment for Manning if we're still trying to "win now"

Krugan
03-23-2015, 04:11 PM
Agreed. This is the first year we're going to have comp picks in a while, and now next year as well. Elway is following a good model to build long term.

My only issue with it this year is that this is likely to be Manning's last. So we made him take a pay cut, then went for cheaper alternatives to every player that left? And I like the looks of the new coaching staff, but I imagine it will take more than one year to really gel and see what their plan will be. Not a great environment for Manning if we're still trying to "win now"

Not sure what else they could do, there isnt any cap space, but I agree that win now was last year, and maybe it was time to move in an entirely different direction. I guess manning really just wants the last major record, I cant imagine him thinking we are 'better' this year than last, or the previous 2 years before.

underrated29
03-23-2015, 05:05 PM
I cant imagine that we are worse... Fox and Gase and Del Rio were abominations to our team.

I still find it near impossible that we have an entire offense full of probowlers...One at each and Every Skill position on Offense and our playcalling is so stale and so damn predictable we can only score 13 points against a team that the patriots with WORSE TALENT EVERYWHERE managed to blow up like 40+ on.

And then the whole Talin on Hilton when Chris Harris shut him down to like 37 yards or something the first time we played and Beat them earlier this year. Our team Improved by 35 fold just off the fact that Gase and Del Rio are gone. We get another 15 fold increase for Kubes and Co actually getting our guys to come out and play like the F'n care. The only real loss was Franklin. Knighton (who I wanted to keep) is not a perfect scheme fit. Rahim is average. JT imo will be replaced by whoever we draft this year. Sure the actual position of TE may not score 12 tds, but the run game will be improved. Our offense will be improved and the Oline is going to get a shot of Power with at least 1 High Rd pick, but more than likely two.

In any event no team fielded even close to the number of Probowl players we have and we only lost 1 by my count to FA...In addition we get two back (vasquez who played out of position and Trevathan). Our team is still the best and most talented in the league. Throw in a little coaching (guys who are proven at things like calling plays, proven at having top notch defenses, coaches who are proven at adjusting as the game goes and get the guys to play with a passion) and I think its easy to see why Peyton came back. Most see the fact that we didnt sign the biggest name players and think that we are going an economy or re-build or are a lesser team. I think once the season starts they will see us run right through nearly every single team. We are going to be the team this year that we should have been last year and the Baltimore/Rahim year.

weazel
03-23-2015, 05:10 PM
I think people are overlooking how incredibly bad Manning was the last half of the season, he looked like he aged 10 years in one season. You can't blame coaches for a a guy throwing ducks and having absolutely no arm strength left

OrangeHoof
03-23-2015, 07:47 PM
The real questions about Peyton is:

1) Was he injured and just didn't let on how bad it really was or
2) Is he a crummy quarterback in poor weather conditions?

I worry that the answer is 2 and that's why his playoff record and record in cold weather is so abysmal. In which case, he's not the right quarterback to be playing in Denver in January (or Foxboro or Pittsburgh or Cincinnati...).

VonDoom
03-23-2015, 07:59 PM
The real questions about Peyton is:

1) Was he injured and just didn't let on how bad it really was or
2) Is he a crummy quarterback in poor weather conditions?

I worry that the answer is 2 and that's why his playoff record and record in cold weather is so abysmal. In which case, he's not the right quarterback to be playing in Denver in January (or Foxboro or Pittsburgh or Cincinnati...).

The cold weather thing is overblown. The real question is was Manning's poor play down the stretch due to injury or age? My feeling is that he couldn't have aged that suddenly, considering how great his 2013 and first half of 2014 were. I'll have to assume it was the injury at this point, and that he'll be playing up to his usual level next year but he will be one year older ...

Denver Native (Carol)
03-23-2015, 08:11 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 10m

Broncos get 4 compensation picks - one more in 4th - 1 in 6th - 2 in 7th

Denver Native (Carol)
03-23-2015, 08:12 PM
Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 10m

With compensatory picks, the @Broncos' 2015 Draft haul now includes 10 selections: 1 each in Rounds 1, 2, 3 & 4; 2 each in Rounds 5, 6 & 7.

Andrew Mason retweeted
Patrick Smyth @psmyth12 · 13m

Broncos awarded four compensatory picks in 2015 NFL Draft: 4th round, 6th round and two 7th round selections.

WARHORSE
03-23-2015, 11:36 PM
I think people are overlooking how incredibly bad Manning was the last half of the season, he looked like he aged 10 years in one season. You can't blame coaches for a a guy throwing ducks and having absolutely no arm strength left

Its true he was bad, but if you watch the tape you'll see a Manning that was clearly hurt. All you have to do is watch his feet because he has the best feet in football at the position and he works at it all the time. Last year, you see Peyton trying to throw off his back foot on a number of occasions once he was hurt.........thats a Peyton no one has seen before.

WARHORSE
03-23-2015, 11:37 PM
So now we have 10 picks and the undrafted to pull from. These picks can really pay off.

Look for college production. Get at least three Olinemen.

underrated29
03-23-2015, 11:58 PM

No arm strength? I watched him Overthrow manny 2x and DT once, a solid 40-50 yards down field.

A guy who threw for 33 Tds the first 8 weeks of the season does not just drop off and throw 6 the rest of the way because of age.

SR
03-24-2015, 12:19 AM
No arm strength? I watched him Overthrow manny 2x and DT once, a solid 40-50 yards down field. A guy who threw for 33 Tds the first 8 weeks of the season does not just drop off and throw 6 the rest of the way because of age.

He didn't throw 33 TDs in the first eight weeks or six the last eight weeks but that's not important.

ShaneFalco
03-24-2015, 01:09 AM
here are all of them.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000480988/article/chiefs-seahawks-broncos-lead-2015-compensatory-draft-picks