PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign Owen Daniels

VonDoom
03-10-2015, 03:06 PM
That didn't take long:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 23s24 seconds ago

Denver has reached agreement with TE Owen Daniels, per sources.

DenBronx
03-10-2015, 03:09 PM
Whatever

DenBronx
03-10-2015, 03:09 PM
~fart~

chazoe60
03-10-2015, 03:10 PM
Kinda saw that one coming. Good pickup. I like our TEs now better than last year to be honest. I was never a big JT fan, a TE who can't block is like a two seater sports car, fun but impractical as Hell.

VonDoom
03-10-2015, 03:14 PM
Whatever

I think we'll be okay if we draft a TE - Green and Daniels, in whatever order you want, and a young guy to learn the system.

FWIW, the Jags gave JT $46 million over 5 years, $24 million guaranteed. Worth it?

VonDoom
03-10-2015, 03:16 PM
Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 28s28 seconds ago

The #Broncos and two-time Pro Bowl TE @owendaniels have agreed to terms on a three-year deal.

CoachChaz
03-10-2015, 03:16 PM
Shocked...lol

GEM
03-10-2015, 03:20 PM
5 years ago, I would have been excited.

CoachChaz
03-10-2015, 03:21 PM

Still good for 40-50 receptions

DenBronx
03-10-2015, 03:21 PM
Whatever

I think we'll be okay if we draft a TE - Green and Daniels, in whatever order you want, and a young guy to learn the system.

FWIW, the Jags gave JT $46 million over 5 years, $24 million guaranteed. Worth it?

Nope not worth 9.2 mill. Im more pissed off at JT than the Broncos. But the Broncos should have CALLED JT to at least offer more guaranteed and held firm at 8 mill. JT is a scary scary target in the redzone. Green and Daniels??? Not so much.

We went from record breaking offense that got us into the SB 2 years ago to this? I think all of these changes are not going to be beneficial. Fans are hoopin and hollerin but I don't see it right now.

VonDoom
03-10-2015, 03:22 PM
Nope not worth 9.2 mill. Im more pissed off at JT than the Broncos. But the Broncos should have CALLED JT to at least offer more guaranteed and held firm at 8 mill. JT is a scary scary target in the redzone. Green and Daniels??? Not so much.

We went from record breaking offense that got us into the SB 2 years ago to this? I think all of these changes are not going to be beneficial. Fans are hoopin and hollerin but I don't see it right now.

I'm of the opinion (as of now) that we will be worse next year than we were this year. Just a hunch. I hope to be wrong, of course.

chazoe60
03-10-2015, 03:23 PM

JT also almost single handedly destroys our running game on his side of the ball. Terrible blocker who doesn't have a whole lotta love for the game of football. Addition by subtraction.

GEM
03-10-2015, 03:23 PM
Still good for 40-50 receptions

I'm sure he'll do fine, just not overly excited about signed guys on the latter side of their career. But spending the money on Owen and Green makes a lot more sense than wasting it on one JT who can't block.

Dreadnought
03-10-2015, 03:24 PM

Still pretty happy though. I am utterly over JT's soft no-blocking brand of TE play. Daniels was a more complete TE at one point...the question now is age and durability

CoachChaz
03-10-2015, 03:25 PM
JT also almost single handedly destroys our running game on his side of the ball. Terrible blocker who doesn't have a whole lotta love for the game of football. Addition by subtraction.

Just have to hope the defense continues to improve. The days of 35 points per game are over.

chazoe60
03-10-2015, 03:25 PM
We got tougher at the TE position, I'm happy. This team needs toughness more than anything, letting JT walk is a step in that direction.

GEM
03-10-2015, 03:26 PM

JT has the chance to make $9,250,000/yr for 5 years with a very good portion being guaranteed for a guy who doesn't love football and could decide to hang it up in a couple year or sign for $8,000,000/yr with very little guaranteed. Not a hard decision and not one that any one of us wouldn't probably make in the same situation. Can't fault him for that. With that said, Jax is going to regret it in the long run. Guy has no heart.

VonDoom
Cecil Lammey ‏@CecilLammey 1m1 minute ago

Elway "Owen [Daniels] has a lot of experience playing for Gary [Kubiak] & knows this offense. We’re glad he’s going to be a Denver Bronco.”

CoachChaz
We got tougher at the TE position, I'm happy. This team needs toughness more than anything, letting JT walk is a step in that direction.

That's great, but unless we significantly improve the OL...this means absolutely nothing. Not bitching...just stating fact

Timmy!
03-10-2015, 03:28 PM
Pretty much everybody saw this coming. Daniels is a solid all around TE, for cheap.

chazoe60
03-10-2015, 03:28 PM
That's great, but unless we significantly improve the OL...this means absolutely nothing. Not bitching...just stating fact

Agree. JE has never been one to neglect the OL so I'm not too worried. He and GK have a plan I'm sure.

Dreadnought
03-10-2015, 03:29 PM
We need Stephen A. Smith's opinion on this signing

GEM
03-10-2015, 03:29 PM

Haven't seen any news on that front other than losing a guy. Seriously nervous about the OL.

CoachChaz
03-10-2015, 03:30 PM
Agree. JE has never been one to neglect the OL so I'm not too worried. He and GK have a plan I'm sure.

I would agree...but I dont know what's available in order to fulfill that plan. Should have signed JT and traded him for Unger. lol

chazoe60
03-10-2015, 03:31 PM
I would agree...but I dont know what's available in order to fulfill that plan. Should have signed JT and traded him for Unger. lol

That would have been badass.

GEM
03-10-2015, 03:31 PM
We need Stephen A. Smith's opinion on this signing

"Race card this. Race card that"
-Stephen A. Smith

Thanks for your thoughful imput.
-No one ever.

CoachChaz
03-10-2015, 03:33 PM
That would have been badass.

Would have fixed our problem at center, but 5 mil at that position is a big pill

VonDoom
03-10-2015, 03:34 PM
$4 million a year for Daniels - not sure of the structure yet. Good deal or no?

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 21s22 seconds ago

Broncos deal with TE Owen Daniels: 3 years, $12 million

Timmy!
03-10-2015, 03:35 PM
Would have fixed our problem at center, but 5 mil at that position is a big pill

Not to mention the 1st round pick we would have sent.

Merc
03-10-2015, 03:35 PM

Looking at his stats, he was never all-world. However, he has had consistent production, the whole time. This was a no-brainer, as Daniels and Kubiak are seemingly joined at the hip.

CoachChaz
03-10-2015, 03:36 PM
Not to mention the 1st round pick we would have sent.

Seattle sent the 1st round pick.

CoachChaz
03-10-2015, 03:37 PM

Most likely back-loaded...especially for a 32 year old

DenBronx
03-10-2015, 03:39 PM

Bad deal. 4 mill is ALOT.

Im sorry im just not going to drink the koolaide like the rest of everybody. Lol

Timmy!
03-10-2015, 03:39 PM
Seattle sent the 1st round pick.

Awww. That makes way more sense. Reading it on the run I was like wtf?

CoachChaz
03-10-2015, 03:41 PM

Im sorry im just not going to drink the koolaide like the rest of everybody. Lol

Like I said, he's here for a max of 2 years, so the back end is likely loaded...maybe with a signing bonus as well, so the biggest cap hit to us would be when Manning is gone and the cap is much higher. If structured right...we'll be just fine.

Timmy!
03-10-2015, 03:46 PM
Like I said, he's here for a max of 2 years, so the back end is likely loaded...maybe with a signing bonus as well, so the biggest cap hit to us would be when Manning is gone and the cap is much higher. If structured right...we'll be just fine.

^this.

Ravage!!!
03-10-2015, 03:51 PM
Would have preferred Clay.

CoachChaz
03-10-2015, 03:53 PM
Would have preferred Clay.

Agreed...but that would have cost us more than Daniels and Green combined...assuming Miami didnt match the offer

GEM
03-10-2015, 03:56 PM

Nobody is drinking koolaid. He's a consistently good player. Meh.

DenBronx
03-10-2015, 04:09 PM
We should of just drafted a TE though. Spend the money on the lines people, that's OL and DL. Come on now. Id rather had Franklin back to be honest.

Whats wrong with some of you? Lol

Rick
03-10-2015, 04:17 PM
We should of just drafted a TE though. Spend the money on the lines people, that's OL and DL. Come on now. Id rather had Franklin back to be honest.

ya it sucks that we passed on TE in the draft that hasn't happened yet :)

Rick
03-10-2015, 04:18 PM
Owens is not the best blocker but he is decent and willing, and he knows the system and can help Virgil. This will be Virgil's chance to shine.

NightTerror218
03-10-2015, 04:19 PM
Daniels is an all around TE. Def help out blocking and not be like a fainting goat like JT when called to block. He will not be close to matching JT offense production but now we have a TE who can play all snaps. I think green will become a beast.

Northman
03-10-2015, 04:34 PM
Meltdowns are priceless. Owens is a good pickup.

GEM
03-10-2015, 04:46 PM
Den reminds me of the scene of Molly Brown in the Titanic.....

What's wrong with you?

:lol:

Lancane
03-10-2015, 05:23 PM
The Broncos will draft a tight end as well, according to current projections Denver will have ten picks in the 2015 Draft receiving four compensation picks (one fourth, two sixth round picks and one in the seventh) plus the six picks they had before the off-season began.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-10-2015, 05:27 PM
The Broncos will draft a tight end as well, according to current projections Denver will have ten picks in the 2015 Draft receiving four compensation picks (one fourth, two sixth round picks and one in the seventh) plus the six picks they had before the off-season began.

Sixths and seventh round picks aren't much more valuable than UDFA's. I'm happy we're getting a 4th, but we didn't have one to begin with, so it's somewhat of a wash.

Maybe we can package some of our late round picks and move up in the middle rounds

Rick
03-10-2015, 05:29 PM
We have had a great deal of success with late round / undrafted guys.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-10-2015, 05:37 PM
Denver Broncos @Broncos · 2h

“[@owendaniels] has one goal — to win a championship.” - #Broncos HC Gary Kubiak

Lancane
03-10-2015, 05:37 PM
Sixths and seventh round picks aren't much more valuable than UDFA's. I'm happy we're getting a 4th, but we didn't have one to begin with, so it's somewhat of a wash.

Maybe we can package some of our late round picks and move up in the middle rounds

Denver is one of the most successful franchises in regards to mid to late round picks, plus you can not trade compensation picks, wouldn't have enough outside them to move.

GEM
03-10-2015, 05:48 PM
We have had a great deal of success with late round / undrafted guys.

Seem to have better success there than higher rounds.

BroncoWave
03-10-2015, 05:55 PM

Yeah, what's wrong with us for not bitching and declaring doom on the first day of free agency?

tomjonesrocks
03-10-2015, 06:25 PM
Will Tamme remain?

I'm not sure why you'd want two over the hill TEs taking up spots on the roster, unless this means Tamme is done in Denver.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-10-2015, 06:27 PM
Will Tamme remain?

I'm not sure why you'd want two over the hill TEs taking up spots on the roster, unless this means Tamme is done in Denver.

I thought I heard he had become a valuable special teams contributor.

TXBRONC
03-10-2015, 06:29 PM

I guess this means Denver will also look to draft a tight end in the year's draft.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-10-2015, 06:33 PM
I guess this means Denver will also look to draft a tight end in the year's draft.

I don't know man, Elway's philosophy seems to be to build through the draft and plug holes in FA. This TE class isn't going to likely provide a starter for Denver, so it looks like this is our group for the next few years. I'm guessing we just "plugged a hole", and we will draft BPA in the draft. I really think there will be a good FS or OG/OT available with our first pick.

tomjonesrocks
03-10-2015, 06:36 PM
I thought I heard he had become a valuable special teams contributor.

Well he's one of Manning's only real friends on the team I guess, but I don't know that with only a 53 man roster you want 2 of them to be 32 and 30 year old TEs. Both have dealt with injuries as well.

May as well add 36-year old Reggie Wayne (37 in Nov) to the party in that case.

DenBronx
03-10-2015, 06:38 PM
Den reminds me of the scene of Molly Brown in the Titanic.....

What's wrong with you?

:lol:

Im trying to hold it together Gem...I swear.

OrangeHoof
03-10-2015, 08:37 PM
Watched plenty of Daniels in Houston. Former college QB. Decent speed and size. Familiar with ZBS blocking scheme. Has had knee injuries. Good hands but occaisionally drops one at key moments. $4 mil/yr is actually less money than I thought it would take to sign him. He's been to a couple of Pro Bowls and may excel with Manning if defenses fall asleep on him while covering other targets.

I think the Maxx Williams fans in the crowd are the ones most pissy about this signing. We'll draft a TE but probably on the third day.

Lancane
03-10-2015, 08:44 PM
Watched plenty of Daniels in Houston. Former college QB. Decent speed and size. Familiar with ZBS blocking scheme. Has had knee injuries. Good hands but occaisionally drops one at key moments. $4 mil/yr is actually less money than I thought it would take to sign him. He's been to a couple of Pro Bowls and may excel with Manning if defenses fall asleep on him while covering other targets.

I think the Maxx Williams fans in the crowd are the ones most pissy about this signing. We'll draft a TE but probably on the third day.

Maxx Williams killed his draft stock having some bad interviews, in fact he was very impersonal, even arrogant and put off a lot of teams. He could still be in the mix for Denver, but I wanted Jesse James so I am cool with it playing out this way.

dogfish
03-10-2015, 09:41 PM
Sixths and seventh round picks aren't much more valuable than UDFA's.

more pics is more pics. . . plenty of great TE have been found in later rounds, including our own hall of famer. . . and gates was either 6-7 or UDFA. . . JT and the criminal hernandez were both 4ths, etc. . . you don't need a first round pick to find a good TE. . .

Denver Native (Carol)
03-10-2015, 09:45 PM
This isn't high school or college, where players have the same coach throughout.

This is the NFL where the shortest of playing careers can go through multiple coaches. Owen Daniels and Gary Kubiak are a unique case. Daniels is a 10-year player going on his third team.

For all 10 years and all three teams, Daniels' coach has been Kubiak. They're together again after the Broncos and Daniels reached an agreement Tuesday on a three-year, $12 million contract.

"That's been the pattern so far," said Daniels, minutes after arriving in Denver on Tuesday night. "It's been a lot of fun.He's an awesome coach, I've got a ton of respect for him. We seem to work well together."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27683697/te-owen-daniels-agrees-3-year-deal-broncos

Simple Jaded
03-11-2015, 12:38 AM

Overpaid.

NightTerror218
03-11-2015, 11:54 AM
Overpaid.

You do not know details or guarantees either. Could be up to $12 mill with $4 mill guaranteed.

CoachChaz
03-11-2015, 12:24 PM
You do not know details or guarantees either. Could be up to $12 mill with $4 mill guaranteed.

Exactly. If anyone thinks there are any GM's in the league...especially Elway...that are going to give a 32 year old TE a guaranteed 4 mil a year for 3 years, they are crazy

Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2015, 05:36 PM
Tight end Owen Daniels meets the media after signing with the Broncos.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Daniels_Something_I_really_couldnt_pass_up/f66ce0c4-27db-4e73-b540-da670092da8c

Spiritguy
03-11-2015, 06:37 PM
Jon Heath @JonHeathNFL (https://twitter.com/JonHeathNFL)

#Broncos (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Broncos?src=hash) TE Owen Daniels said only teammate he's spoken to so far was quarterback Peyton Manning. Said he invited him to his Duke camp.
12:05 PM - 11 Mar 2015 (https://twitter.com/JonHeathNFL/status/575734263456337920)

Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2015, 06:53 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Broncos represent a perfect fit for tight end Owen Daniels for several reasons, starting with the presence of Head Coach Gary Kubiak, under whom Daniels has played his entire NFL career to date: eight seasons in Houston and one in Baltimore, where Kubiak was offensive coordinator.

But the allure of catching passes from Peyton Manning also had an impact. And building the necessary timing and chemistry with the NFL's all-time leader in touchdown passes will take repetition and study.

That process begins this month, when Daniels joins Manning and other Broncos pass-catching targets for the annual throwing sessions Manning leads at Duke University, where his college offensive coordinator, David Cutcliffe, now serves as head coach.

Manning was quick to bring Emmanuel Sanders to Duke after the wide receiver signed his three-year contract last year, and his invitation to Daniels was equally prompt.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Owen-Daniels-ready-for-intensive-study/bba7bf77-ec9a-44c6-a162-d18c2f7518f1

Simple Jaded
03-11-2015, 11:09 PM

Daniels played for $1 MM last season.

Rick
03-12-2015, 08:36 AM
Daniels played for $1 MM last season.

Coming off of a injury.

VonDoom
03-13-2015, 10:40 AM
This is the breakdown of the Owen Daniels contract per OTC. Cap numbers are 2.75 million in 2015, 4.5 in 2016 and 5 in 2017 (if he's still here):

Owen Daniels signed a three year $12.25 million contract with the Denver Broncos on March 12, 2015. Daniels received a $3 million signing bonus, which was the only guaranteed portion of the contract. He can earn $500,000 in roster bonuses if on the roster the 5th days of the 2016 and 2017 league years.

http://overthecap.com/player/owen-daniels/1680

Denver Native (Carol)
03-13-2015, 04:24 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 2m

Owen Daniels’ contract details: http://dpo.st/19hzyLy via @mikeklis