PDA

View Full Version : Kendall Langford

VonDoom
03-08-2015, 09:30 PM
The Broncos have arranged a visit with free-agent defensive lineman Kendall Langford, who played the past four seasons with the St. Louis Rams.

Langford, 29, is also scheduled to visit with the New Orleans Saints and Indianapolis Colts.

He was a third round pick of the Miami Dolphins in the 2008 draft. After four years with the Dolphins, he signed a four-year, $22 million deal with the Rams. He was paid $16 million through the first three years of that deal before he was released last week.

The 6-foot-6, 313-pound Langford is a defensive tackle in the 4-3, but would fit as a five-technique defensive end in the Broncos' new 3-4 defensive scheme.

Thoughts? He's one of the only names I've heard us linked to so far.

broncofaninfla
03-08-2015, 09:33 PM
I doubt we can afford him but would love to have him.

SR
03-08-2015, 09:51 PM
I'm not sure the cost is worth it. Wolfe and Malik will be fine as 3-4 ends if we have a good tackle.

broncobuss
03-08-2015, 10:17 PM
He would be a good addition at the right price.. solid move

GEM
03-08-2015, 10:24 PM
If we are going to pay big, why wouldn't we just pay pot roast?

dogfish
03-08-2015, 10:58 PM
solid veteran five-tech who can help teach wolfe and malik. . . besides, if sly's gonna be on the nose, we need more depth at end. . . let it be written, let it be done. . .

dogfish
03-08-2015, 10:59 PM
If we are going to pay big, why wouldn't we just pay pot roast?

can't see him being that expensive. . .

GEM
03-08-2015, 11:05 PM
can't see him being that expensive. . .

Alright dog...calm me down. Are we going cheap and letting guys walk to get Iupati? I'm seriously lost as to why we are letting guys go.

dogfish
03-08-2015, 11:19 PM
Alright dog...calm me down. Are we going cheap and letting guys walk to get Iupati? I'm seriously lost as to why we are letting guys go.

be calm, babes. . . no idea what the plan is yet, we haven't shown any of our cards. . . i'm confident JFE does HAVE a plan, though. . . gotta see whether we make some cuts or moves to free up more space (or sign DT long-term), but i definitely think iupati is a potential option. . . a lot also depends on whether they think schofield can be a factor this year, and at what spot. . . we'll see. . . i hate losing knighton, and don't love seeing debo go either, but we did already re-sign harris, and we get to keep brandon marshall on the cheap. . . roby looks great, and we might be able to slide webster to FS if the dream goes. . . von should be more explosive this year, and more natural in wade's scheme. . . wade and bill kolar will get the most out of our front seven guys. . . we have a chance to be nasty on defense. . .

granted, they haven't shown yet that they can fix the O-line, but GK and dennison weren't here before. . . remember, they've been getting production from lower round guys forever in the ZBS. . . and if we do keep clark, he may actually be more effective in that scheme-- it doesn't so much require a mauler, and he has good feet. . . it inevitably may take a year or two to sort it out with a new offense being installed as well as the required time for guys to gel on those combo blocks, but that's actually one area i feel pretty confident they can get sorted with the new staff. . .

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-08-2015, 11:29 PM
Last year we were pretty quiet in the first few days of fa. It seems as though we waited to make moves.

ShaneFalco
03-09-2015, 01:04 AM
he didn't start in St Louis over Brockers and Donalds but he was pretty good when he did get in but he also didn't get much because he is kind of a guy who cannot play a whole game without getting winded after a couple of plays. I don't know how that will hold up in the Mile High City. great backup DT but not a consistent starter

Simple Jaded
03-09-2015, 01:30 AM
Solid depth guy, I think, Wolfe and Jackson should be tits as starters but they need depth if price is right.

I also think Mitch Unrien fits nicely at 3-4 DE.

Btw, Broncos have also been linked to Jared Odrick which would take them outta conversation with other high priced FAs.

Ziggy
03-09-2015, 02:43 AM

Name a year when Elway didn't mop the floor with the rest of the league in free agency since he's been a GM. Patience and trust. Elway has earned it.

VonDoom
03-09-2015, 06:29 AM
Last year we were pretty quiet in the first few days of fa. It seems as though we waited to make moves.

I'm pretty sure we signed Ward, Talib and Ware by day two of FA last year. Though technically, FA hasn't started this year, so I'm not sure that means anything. I think this is the year we don't go for the big splash signings but instead make some quiet moves to put us in a better position.

Rick
03-09-2015, 06:51 AM
It sucks to be losing talent like Franklin and Knighton but we have to remember as we sit here that Elway is working with 19 mil. That cap would be nearly erased by signing Franklin and Knighton alone without signing anyone else.

I think we should be prepared by probably no huge names signings but several talented second tier players and the draft.

DenBronx
03-09-2015, 07:32 AM

Name a year when Elway didn't mop the floor with the rest of the league in free agency since he's been a GM. Patience and trust. Elway has earned it.

The year when we had alot of cap space, unlike this one.

GEM
03-09-2015, 08:50 AM
Seeing the money these guys are drawing, I can see why we're losing guys, but we are losing talent so I am getting used to the idea that we aren't going to be as good as we have been. You don't lose 4 starters (Knighton, Franklin, Thomas and Moore) and expect the same results on the field. Moore is looking at crazy money being thrown his way, Moore. :lol:

Rick
03-09-2015, 08:51 AM
I just hope Green doen't get a crazy offer. He is one guy I don't think we can afford to lose...at the right price.

GEM
03-09-2015, 08:53 AM
I just hope Green doen't get a crazy offer. He is one guy I don't think we can afford to lose...at the right price.

Vic Lombardi said his talks are amped up, Broncos want to keep him.

VonDoom
03-09-2015, 09:04 AM
Seeing the money these guys are drawing, I can see why we're losing guys, but we are losing talent so I am getting used to the idea that we aren't going to be as good as we have been. You don't lose 4 starters (Knighton, Franklin, Thomas and Moore) and expect the same results on the field. Moore is looking at crazy money being thrown his way, Moore. :lol:

Yeah, there hasn't been a lot of talk on Moore yet and what he's going to command in the market. But with McCourty gone (and setting a high bar), he will have people coming after him and paying a lot to get him.

GEM
03-09-2015, 09:28 AM
Yeah, there hasn't been a lot of talk on Moore yet and what he's going to command in the market. But with McCourty gone (and setting a high bar), he will have people coming after him and paying a lot to get him.

They were talking about it on the radio this morning, said Rahim is the biggest beneficiary this season as he will be vastly overpaid for his services.

Dapper Dan
03-09-2015, 10:15 AM
You know who always let's a lot of talent walk? The New England Patriots. They must really suck.

TXBRONC
03-09-2015, 11:09 AM
It sucks to be losing talent like Franklin and Knighton but we have to remember as we sit here that Elway is working with 19 mil. That cap would be nearly erased by signing Franklin and Knighton alone without signing anyone else.

I think we should be prepared by probably no huge names signings but several talented second tier players and the draft.

There could be possibly one major signing like Mike Iupati and then a few smaller signings.

underrated29
03-09-2015, 01:06 PM

It will suck to lose Potroast and Big O but pot roast only plays like 40% of the snaps. Hes not worth full starter money. We would like to keep him for the cheap but I doubt he does.

Langford is Rock Solid against the Run. Perhaps we are hedging our bets on Run D witht he loss of pot roast. Also, we have young guns on the DELine. A solid contributer who can eat up space and allow Ware and miller a clean track to the QB will be priceless!

We are going to be better next year then we were before. Even with the loss of talent. Our team Vastly underperformed last year. I wont go into who or why but we did. The new coaches are not going to let that happen. I think we will have a defense that rivals the seabirds. Its going to be really really good especially if we can land a few sexies in the draft. Elway has said the OL is a priority so we know he will get that covered. Bioli or someone....itll happen. I cant wait to see the defense Wade puts together.

Rick
03-09-2015, 01:12 PM
I think not resigning Pot Roast is all about knowing the money he will command and Elways going all in with the first round pick he invested in.

This looks a little bit of the time to let the young guys we drafted play scenario with how they may be letting Schofield, Paradis and Garland compete on OL and Sly at NT.

ShaneFalco
03-09-2015, 01:19 PM
It will suck to lose Potroast and Big O but pot roast only plays like 40% of the snaps. Hes not worth full starter money. We would like to keep him for the cheap but I doubt he does.

Langford is Rock Solid against the Run. Perhaps we are hedging our bets on Run D witht he loss of pot roast. Also, we have young guns on the DELine. A solid contributer who can eat up space and allow Ware and miller a clean track to the QB will be priceless!

langford will play the same amount of snaps, maybe even less because of altitude. The guy gets winded quick.

dogfish
03-09-2015, 09:01 PM

meh. . . other than knighton, i'm not sure how much we'll miss any of those guys. . . JT was a non-factor for half the season, franklin is solid but not special, and rahim moore isn't very good. . . if von is back to the form of his first two seasons, that alone is more valuable than all those guys (as long as somebody can hold down the nose-- that does admittedly worry me some). . . i'm eager to see how much roby has improved with a year under his belt, and i think webster can be better than rahim. . . also excited to see what latimer can do. . . don't write us off yet! U29 is right, we underacchieved with last year's roster. . .

VonDoom
03-09-2015, 09:27 PM
Also in the "bargain shopping" department, Klis mentions some other people we might be interested in:

The team also has expressed interest, to varying degrees, in fullback Jerome Felton, tight ends Owen Daniels and Ed Dickson and centers Chris Myers and Samson Satele.

Langford, a projected five-technique defensive end in the 3-4, played four seasons with the Miami Dolphins and the past three in St. Louis. He is coming off a contract that paid him $16 million in the previous three seasons.

Felton, 28, has played for four teams in eight seasons, the past three years with the Minnesota Vikings. The Broncos haven't employed a fullback since Chris Gronkowski in 2012, but new coach Gary Kubiak wants one for his offense.

Daniels, 32, has played every snap of his eight-year career with Kubiak as his coach. Kubiak was the Houston Texans' head coach and Daniels his starting tight end from 2006-13. The two moved to Baltimore in 2014 with Kubiak in the role of Raven's offensive coordinator.

Myers, 33, played three seasons with the Broncos, starting five games at left guard and 11 at center in 2007 before he was traded to Houston in 2008. He started every game for seven consecutive seasons with the Texans before he was released last week.

The rest: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27678742/free-agency-broncos-set-lose-bigger-names-than

Rick
03-09-2015, 09:34 PM
Langford would be quality depth but don't think he would beat out anyone on our line.

Still if we could score him as well as Daniels to split time with Green at TE, and get Felton and Myers as new starters I would consider that a very successful FA period.

VonDoom
03-10-2015, 06:12 PM
He canceled his visit to us and signed with the Colts. Indy isn't playing around

Denver Native (Carol)
03-10-2015, 06:54 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 47m

Colts are a threat. And they have tons of cash. They steal Langford from the Broncos.

ShaneFalco
03-10-2015, 06:56 PM
good langford is not an every down dt.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-10-2015, 06:58 PM
After reaching new multiyear contracts with tight ends Owen Daniels and Virgil Green, the Broncos didn't have enough budget room for free-agent defensive lineman Kendall Langford.

The Broncos canceled their visit with Langford and he has now reached an agreement with the Indianapolis Colts.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27685245/colts-nab-dl-kendall-langford-after-canceled-visit

GEM
03-10-2015, 07:00 PM
Colts didn't steal Langford, Denver cancelled. Wondering if they are keeping cash freed up in case a team tries to match on Thomas?

DenBronx
03-10-2015, 07:04 PM
Colts didn't steal Langford, Denver cancelled. Wondering if they are keeping cash freed up in case a team tries to match on Thomas?

When does the window close for teams to sign Thomas? I thought it ended way before the draft starts.

SR
03-10-2015, 07:28 PM
good langford is not an every down dt.

He would've been a 3-4 DE on this team, not a tackle.