PDA

View Full Version : Franklin to SD

SR
03-08-2015, 05:16 PM
Looks like Orlando is going to San Diego. It's on NFL.com.

silkamilkamonico
03-08-2015, 05:33 PM
Big loss. Really liked Frnklin too. Had no business ever being moved over.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-08-2015, 05:37 PM
That sucks...a Lot.

VonDoom
03-08-2015, 05:38 PM
It's their revenge for stealing Vasquez from them

Simple Jaded
03-08-2015, 05:38 PM
Say it ain't so Debo?

GEM
03-08-2015, 05:48 PM
Mother******!!! :mad: I loved that dude. I don't know that I can hate him like I do Royal. I've talked to him a couple times on facebook so he feels more personal than Eddie. Pissed the **** off right now. Now we have more holes on the line to fill. Nice job, front office.

dogfish
03-08-2015, 05:52 PM
not good. . . unless we're going to make a run at iupati. . .

GEM
03-08-2015, 05:53 PM
This is plan b? Kick all of our talent to the curb, franchise tag our top player instead of a long term contract, this feels like the ******* Raiders. What is goin on in Dove Valley?

silkamilkamonico
03-08-2015, 05:57 PM
Mother******!!! :mad: I loved that dude. I don't know that I can hate him like I do Royal. I've talked to him a couple times on facebook so he feels more personal than Eddie. Pissed the **** off right now. Now we have more holes on the line to fill. Nice job, front office.

I agree. Really weak oline free agency this year. They have 1 season to put a cohesive oline unit together. They better know what they are doing.

GEM
03-08-2015, 05:59 PM
I guess they question payin 7-8 mil on him not knowing if he fits the ZBS....but that leaves it open....we haven't drafted a ******* lineman worth a shit since Clady...we all the sudden going to get some starters when we haven't shown to have that ability in a ******* long time. Our price for him was in the $5-6 mil range...unless they can land Iupati...this is a dumbass move.

Northman
03-08-2015, 06:24 PM
Sucks but my faith isnt shaken.

Timmy!
03-08-2015, 06:25 PM
Uipati is the plan. The Front office knows what it's doing, and over spending for marginal talent isn't it.

elsid13
03-08-2015, 06:39 PM
I didn't expect him to come back with the change of blocking systems. Wish him the best expect for twice a year.

MasterShake
03-08-2015, 06:58 PM
That sucks, he was one of the few dudes on the team that seemed to be the "kicking and screaming" type. I wish him luck, and I hope he gets his eyes fixed.

SR
03-08-2015, 07:06 PM
LOL at all the people complaining about Franklin going elsewhere. Yall are probably the same people who bitched and bitched and bitched about him in the game day threads every single week. He was a marginal offensive lineman who is far from irreplaceable.

ShaneFalco
03-08-2015, 07:19 PM
oh hush yourself.. Franklin was a beast. People complaining about him, definitely have a right. You dont let a man like DEBO go to a rival.

SR
03-08-2015, 07:22 PM
oh hush yourself.. Franklin was a beast. People complaining about him, definitely have a right. You dont let a man like DEBO go to a rival.

I didn't say anyone should stop complaining. I was merely pointing out that fact. Denver would not have let him test free agency if they didn't have a plan to fill the gap should he leave.

ShaneFalco
03-08-2015, 07:32 PM
when did you get back SR? I missed you.

GEM
03-08-2015, 08:08 PM
LOL at all the people complaining about Franklin going elsewhere. Yall are probably the same people who bitched and bitched and bitched about him in the game day threads every single week. He was a marginal offensive lineman who is far from irreplaceable.

Nope, I wasn't. Love his fire and he graded out in upper echelon of the league at 2 different positions. That's pretty valuable to a team who has shit for backups. Replaceable yes, necessary when you've got other needs silly.

BroncoNut
03-08-2015, 08:15 PM
He had that weird eye thing going on and that just never rested well with me. Good riddance freak

dogfish
03-08-2015, 08:18 PM
He had that weird eye thing going on and that just never rested well with me. Good riddance freak

nut at his finest, folks. . .

BroncoNut
03-08-2015, 08:23 PM
I was kidding about that. A little bit of hotcarl humor plugged in there and mastershake said something about his eye earlier which was funny

Jsteve01
03-08-2015, 09:13 PM
I was kidding about that. A little bit of hotcarl humor plugged in there and mastershake said something about his eye earlier which was funny nut

VonDoom
03-08-2015, 10:25 PM
Klis posted that the deal is for 7.2 million a year with 14 guaranteed

NightTerror218
03-08-2015, 10:48 PM
So are we going to always let our own draft picks leave?

Jsteve01
03-08-2015, 10:57 PM
So are we going to always let our own draft picks leave? apparently other than von and DT that would be a no ha ha

MileHighCrew
03-08-2015, 10:58 PM
I just met him at a Raptors game and asked him to stay in Denver. Looks like I don't have much pull in these matters.

silkamilkamonico
03-08-2015, 11:29 PM
So are we going to always let our own draft picks leave?

Who cares about the draft with Elway's free agency. This year will be another stellar "A" in that department.

VonDoom
03-09-2015, 07:52 AM
Even higher than originally reported:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1h1 hour ago

When it gets done, Orlando Franklin's 5-year deal with Chargers expected to come in close to $36.5 million with $20M guaranteed, per sources

Rick
03-09-2015, 08:00 AM
Even higher than originally reported:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1h1 hour ago

When it gets done, Orlando Franklin's 5-year deal with Chargers expected to come in close to $36.5 million with $20M guaranteed, per sources

Thus the reason we had to let him go. 7.3 million. Unless of course we turn around and sign another guy for around that much, which would make that logic moot.

VonDoom
03-09-2015, 08:22 AM
Thus the reason we had to let him go. 7.3 million. Unless of course we turn around and sign another guy for around that much, which would make that logic moot.

I agree with that general thought, but if Elway thought someone else was an upgrade at that same money, then he might do it. It'll be interesting to see what we come up with in the next few days.

GEM
03-09-2015, 08:36 AM
Now that makes sense. No way is he worth that kind of money.

Rick
03-09-2015, 08:39 AM
I wouldn't say he isn't worth it, he is a good blocker who has shown he can play multiple positions. It is a stretch but not out of line.

I would say at those $$ we just can't afford him though.

GEM
03-09-2015, 08:47 AM
I wouldn't say he isn't worth it, he is a good blocker who has shown he can play multiple positions. It is a stretch but not out of line.

I would say at those $$ we just can't afford him though.

He was versatile, he had a fire on the line that we will miss, but that's a lot of money. He was by no means extraordinary, he wasn't terrible, he was was upper echelon, but that's tackle money, will be interesting to see where SD plays him. I wish we hadn't experimented with him.

VonDoom
03-09-2015, 09:03 AM
He was versatile, he had a fire on the line that we will miss, but that's a lot of money. He was by no means extraordinary, he wasn't terrible, he was was upper echelon, but that's tackle money, will be interesting to see where SD plays him. I wish we hadn't experimented with him.

LG and RT money is actually very similar. I heard McCoy wants to use him at RT again, for what it's worth.

With the cap going up, this is the going rate for a guy of his abilities. Everyone seems overpriced this year, but that's what happens when there's money to spend.

BroncoNut
03-09-2015, 09:37 AM
I just met him at a Raptors game and asked him to stay in Denver. Looks like I don't have much pull in these matters.

maybe if you excersized some pull on your meet this thread wouldn't exist

chazoe60
03-09-2015, 10:07 AM
That sucks, he was one of the few dudes on the team that seemed to be the "kicking and screaming" type. I wish him luck, and I hope he gets his eyes fixed.

My sentiments exactly. I think this comes down to schematics more than not appreciating or not wanting Franklin and his attitude back. I think he just doesn't fit he Kubiak offense as well.

I really wish he wasn't going to SD though,bill always like the guy but I can't root for him now.

Jsteve01
03-09-2015, 10:13 AM

maybe if you excersized some pull on your meet this thread wouldn't exist deep

Denver Native (Carol)
03-09-2015, 10:41 AM
Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 1h

Wisniewski fits Elway's preferred profile in FA -- player coming into second contract -- but Myers durable and is plug-and-play ready.

With Hudson off market...best C options in free agency for #Broncos are Wisniewski and Myers -- team has expressed interest in both.

Chris Myers was a #Broncos rookie in '05 when Kubiak was OC and played six seasons w/Texans for Kubiak. Has not missed start in 8 years.

With @OFranklin74's deal in San Diego, #Broncos have openings at C, LG and RT ... And C's getting plenty of their early attention.

tomjonesrocks
03-09-2015, 10:49 AM
I'm more annoyed that there was zero communication with Pot Roast.

And that the team is still interested in Moore.

Definitely looks like a terrible offseason, something that really hasn't happened under JFE.

SR
03-09-2015, 10:51 AM
I'm more annoyed that there was zero communication with Pot Roast. And that the team is still interested in Moore. Definitely looks like a terrible offseason, something that really hasn't happened under JFE.

How do you know there hasn't been any talks with him?

MOtorboat
03-09-2015, 11:48 AM
How do you know there hasn't been any talks with him?

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27671403/terrance-knighton-gaining-interest-from-several-nfl-teams

BroncoWave
03-09-2015, 12:01 PM
I'm going to wait and see what we do in free agency before I call the offseason a failure. I would imagine we have some quality targets we are looking to bring in.

It would be a shame if we brought back Manning just to gut the team around him and be less competitive.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-09-2015, 12:16 PM
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter · 2h

NFL: "League office is beginning investigations into a number of reported agreements with clubs. Violations will be dealt with accordingly.”

Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 46m

I know one team the NFL won't be investigating for prematurely agreeing to deals. Broncos still on Free Agent sidelines.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-09-2015, 12:21 PM
Denver wasn't openly active at the beginning of FA last year either.

Let everyone else overspend.

Rick
03-09-2015, 12:23 PM
Probably every one of these high priced signings we will be hearing about in 2 years as possible cut or restructure candidates as teams struggle to get back under the cap.

VonDoom
03-09-2015, 01:09 PM
Denver wasn't openly active at the beginning of FA last year either.

Let everyone else overspend.

Again, this is not entirely true. The league year opened on 3/11 last year, and by that night, we had signed Ward and Talib and by the next day, Ware as well.

DenBronx
03-09-2015, 01:11 PM
I bet we get Chris Myers back. He has a connection with Kubiak and is from here anyway.

And FA starts tomorrow. Not sure what they panick is from Klis.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-09-2015, 01:11 PM
Free agency does not officially start until 4:00 ET tomorrow. Appears some teams have done much more than they should have already in regards to free agents, other than their own.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-09-2015, 01:12 PM
I bet we get Chris Myers back. He has a connection with Kubiak and is from here anyway.

And FA starts tomorrow. Not sure what they panick is from Klis.

What panic from Klis?

VonDoom
03-09-2015, 01:25 PM
Free agency does not officially start until 4:00 ET tomorrow. Appears some teams have done much more than they should have already in regards to free agents, other than their own.

Right, and that is different this year. I don't remember contract details being released before the league year started last time around. In any case, I think we all realize that we're not in the market for the big name free agents this year. Elway will be patient and smart, and he might play the game that Ozzie Newsome plays, where he waits for guys to be released and then pounces (a la Ware last year).

NightTerror218
03-09-2015, 02:12 PM
People need to simmer down. Elway is always quite early in FA. Who saw Ware or Talib signings coming last year? Who saw the Vasquez signing the year before? He keeps quite and just does it. Tomorrow you will start to hear who he has been talking too.

Krugan
03-09-2015, 02:16 PM
Probably every one of these high priced signings we will be hearing about in 2 years as possible cut or restructure candidates as teams struggle to get back under the cap.

Sounds familiar, except we just arent resigning our own and hoping to build a oline with others and draft picks.

Im not overly confident this team is going to accomplish much more than last year, and might be lucky to even get there...

Rick
03-09-2015, 02:21 PM
What is the team suppose to do if it has more holes than money?

We can't afford the guys that are leaving, we have to use that money on quality second tier players.

We can't afford 9 mill to JT, 7 mill to Franklin, probably 7-8 mill to both Moore and Knighton, and still sign draft picks and plug other holes.

Simple Jaded
03-09-2015, 02:39 PM

We can't afford the guys that are leaving, we have to use that money on quality second tier players.

We can't afford 9 mill to JT, 7 mill to Franklin, probably 7-8 mill to both Moore and Knighton, and still sign draft picks and plug other holes.

I bet there's 2-4 UDFA rookies that make the team this season.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-09-2015, 02:42 PM

I started another thread with the following article, but I will post it here also

"At start of free agency, don't forget about what's on the roster"
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...b-733c2066ae50

Cugel
03-09-2015, 05:40 PM

They can't possibly afford to do that. They need a RT. Bad. And spending $36.5 million to keep Orlando Franklin was never remotely in the cards. He had a terrible game in the SB. He didn't play particularly well all season at LG. And they put him at G because he sucked at RT dealing with faster edge rushers.

He is a nice player, but $36 million for 5 years? That's overpaying for what they are getting.

Some teams have a ton of money to throw at players this off-season because they were way below the minimum cap before and are required to spend more. Denver isn't one of those teams.

For example:

The Denver Post expects the Jaguars to sign free agent Julius Thomas to a five-year contract worth "close" to $45 million.
A $9 million annual average would put Thomas significantly ahead of Rob Gronkowski's $6.9 million average, and just short of Jimmy Graham's $10 million.

That gives you an idea is meant by teams overspending. Julius Thomas is a great player when healthy. He's a matchup nightmare. But $2.1 million a year more than Rob Gronkowski?

There's just no way that competitive teams can throw money around like that. Jacksonville and the Raiders can do it because they are utterly devoid of talent to start with. Denver is stocked with talent and has to maintain salary discipline.

Rick
03-09-2015, 05:44 PM
I agree with all that and have been throwing that spiel in nearly every thread :) I do not believe we have the cash to sign any premium FA this year and fully expect only second tier.

My only point there was that I am not the front office and have no idea, maybe they will toss the money at a high priced guy. I don't see how they could...but I am not them :)

GEM
03-09-2015, 05:45 PM
More than Gronkowski? They're freaking high! He isn't even in the same hemisphere as Gronkowski.

ShaneFalco
03-09-2015, 05:53 PM
yea that is a joke. Gronk is a great blocker as well.

Cugel
03-09-2015, 05:56 PM
More than Gronkowski? They're freaking high! He isn't even in the same hemisphere as Gronkowski.

6/8/2012: Signed an eight-year, $55.23 million contract. The deal contains $13.17 million guaranteed, including an $8 million signing bonus.

Gronkowski will of course never see years 6-8 of the deal. Those years were added to make the cap impact less and are not guaranteed. If he's still around they will rework the deal before then. But, Julius Thomas' 5-yr money is likely to be paid.
That's Gronkowski's contract. Admittedly, it was signed in 2012, but still.

Now you see why Jacksonville has been so horrible:

Thomas, who caught 24 touchdown passes the previous two seasons for the Broncos, is in position to join former Broncos teammate Zane Beadles in Jacksonville, which had more than $64 million in salary cap room to use this year.

They have a worthless cheapskate owner who left $64 million in cap space on the table. He's not even trying to complete. Now they have to pay at least the league minimum cap

Simple Jaded
03-09-2015, 10:46 PM
Julius Thomas and Zane Beadles, ha! Clearly the Jags have no interest in running the ball.

Ziggy
03-09-2015, 11:05 PM
I'm going to miss Big O. He always played with heart.

Valar Morghulis
03-10-2015, 06:33 AM
I'm going to miss Big O. He always played with heart.

Me too, but I bet PFM won't miss all those pre snap penalties.

Traveler
03-10-2015, 07:06 AM
Not going to hate on Orlando. I wish things could have worked out to keep him here. Can't blame anyone when the opportunity arises to make that kind of money. Good luck Orlando, except when you play us.:-)

Northman
03-10-2015, 09:19 AM

Agreed.

The drawback to being a successful team/franchise is that you cant always hold onto talent, the cap just wont allow it. Even with all that talent last year we still went one and done in the playoffs so sometimes you have to cut other talented players to free cap space to add depth and other talent to try and find the right chemistry. Some guys will take less to stay and others will go find their payday but its the nature of the beast if you want to stay competitive and a contender.

Simple Jaded
03-10-2015, 11:52 AM
Me too, but I bet PFM won't miss all those pre snap penalties.

A lot of that is on Manning with all his pre-snap bullshit, imo, just hike the ******* ball. If he's changing protections that's one thing but he's asking a lot from these guys to hold their water as long as he does.

SR
03-10-2015, 11:54 AM
A lot of that is on Manning with all his pre-snap bullshit, imo, just hike the ******* ball.

Ignorance is bliss huh?

Simple Jaded
03-10-2015, 12:07 PM
Ignorance is bliss huh?

Say what?

SR
03-10-2015, 12:22 PM
Say what?

Exactly

Simple Jaded
03-10-2015, 12:22 PM
Meh, think what you want, but I believe that's been an issue in gameday lockerroom. And when the C snaps the ball over Mannings head because Vasquez hits the C on the leg just before Manning goes to change something again that's on Manning, imo.

Actually I heard Schlereth talk about how that's an issue in Mannings offense, but w/e, think what you want.

SR
03-10-2015, 12:33 PM
Meh, think what you want, but I believe that's been an issue in gameday lockerroom. And when the C snaps the ball over Mannings head because Vasquez hits the C on the leg just before Manning goes to change something again that's on Manning, imo. Actually I heard Schlereth talk about how that's an issue in Mannings offense, but w/e, think what you want.

Huh?

ShaneFalco
03-10-2015, 01:01 PM
Think what you WANT SR!

SR
03-10-2015, 01:45 PM
Think what you WANT SR!

Don't tell me how to live SF!

Simple Jaded
03-11-2015, 12:52 AM
Huh?

Exactly.

Cugel
03-12-2015, 02:53 PM
Agreed.

The drawback to being a successful team/franchise is that you cant always hold onto talent, the cap just wont allow it. Even with all that talent last year we still went one and done in the playoffs so sometimes you have to cut other talented players to free cap space to add depth and other talent to try and find the right chemistry. Some guys will take less to stay and others will go find their payday but its the nature of the beast if you want to stay competitive and a contender.

I think we can safely say that the playoff losses were mostly John Fox, Del Rio and Adam Gase's fault. It's one thing to get beaten because the other team has more talent. It's quite another not even to show up.

How is that the player's fault? It's the coaches responsibility to make sure that the players are ready to play in the biggest game of the year, and three times now they've not shown up for big games. You can't put that anywhere but on the coaching staff.

Especially this year when Fox was sending out his resume via Adam Glazer the very day his team was playing the Colts.