PDA

View Full Version : Julius Thomas in contract talks with Jaguars; Orlando Franklin generating interest

Denver Native (Carol)
03-08-2015, 02:29 PM
The Broncos never did reach out to discuss a contract with Julius Thomas this offseason.

The tight end is working out contract details with the Jacksonville Jaguars, according to an NFL source. The deal is not done, according to the source. Then again, no free agent can sign with another team until 2 p.m. Tuesday.

AND

Left guard Orlando Franklin has reportedly drawn serious interest from the rival San Diego Chargers ($26.3 million in cap space) and coach Mike McCoy, who was Franklin's offensive coordinator in Denver from 2011-12, and the Philadelphia Eagles ($43.7 million in cap space).

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27671553/julius-thomas-contract-talks-jaguars-orlando-franklin-generating

Denver Native (Carol)
03-08-2015, 02:35 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 1h

The impending departure of Julius Thomas is going to make Virgil Green a rich(er) man. Broncos can't afford to lose him.

Vic Lombardi retweeted
Jason Cole @JasonPhilCole · 2h

Two sources indicating TE Julius Thomas is just about done/signed in Jacksonville

Northman
03-08-2015, 02:44 PM
Green will get some more money but it will be a lot less than JT's asking for. Will be interesting to see if JT can pull off the same success in Jax but i doubt it.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-08-2015, 02:48 PM
Jacksonville... I hope the money is more important than anything. There's absolutely zero shot that Jacksonville will win a Championship in the next 10 years.

If I was a coveted free agent and Jacksonville, Jokeland, Cleveland, or Buffalo came calling, I'd immediately put a $2 Mil extra stipulation on top of whatever everyone else was offering. All of those teams are in terrible shape from the top down.

Ziggy
03-08-2015, 03:02 PM
Jacksonville... I hope the money is more important than anything. There's absolutely zero shot that Jacksonville will win a Championship in the next 10 years.

If I was a coveted free agent and Jacksonville, Jokeland, Cleveland, or Buffalo came calling, I'd immediately put a $2 Mil extra stipulation on top of whatever everyone else was offering. All of those teams are in terrible shape from the top down.

Which is exactly what Randall Cobb did yesterday. He took about 2 million less per year to stay in Green Bay.

OrangeHoof
03-08-2015, 03:06 PM
Rule #1 for receiver free agents (aka "The Decker Rule"). First, sign with a team that has a friggin' quarterback.

SR
03-08-2015, 03:13 PM
Rule #1 for receiver free agents (aka "The Decker Rule"). First, sign with a team that has a friggin' quarterback.

In all fairness I think Jacksonville is a couple of players away from having a decent offense. They need a legitimate #1 WR because Blackmon sucks. They need an offensive lineman or two. Their running back situation leaves something to be desired but could be worse. Bortles is a hell of an athlete and has a bright future.

Rick
03-08-2015, 03:20 PM
Jax could become good very soon. They have the cash to surround Bortles with players. Just comes down to is Bortles the real deal.

Magnificent Seven
03-08-2015, 03:39 PM
I guess Julius Thomas doesn't have a heart for Denver. Money over heart.... not good.

Pudge
03-08-2015, 03:40 PM

Teams with quarterbacks can get deals because of it. Teams without talent can offer more money. It boils down to why your playing football.

BroncoWave
03-08-2015, 03:44 PM
Teams with quarterbacks can get deals because of it. Teams without talent can offer more money. It boils down to why your playing football.

Ok, Northman!

Pudge
03-08-2015, 03:46 PM
Ok, Northman!

I keep forgetting to put you on ignore... Will you remind me later?

Northman
03-08-2015, 04:01 PM
Lmao

Magnificent Seven
03-08-2015, 04:12 PM
Get Shannon Sharpe back! He looks healthy and Sharpe is ready to raise some hell! :D

Denver Native (Carol)
03-08-2015, 04:14 PM
article updated - new things

The Denver Post's Troy Renck reported that defensive tackle Terrance "Pot Roast" Knighton is generating serious interest from multiple teams, with Washington ($24.5 million in cap room) the most aggressive pursuer.

The Oakland Raiders ($59.6 million), now coached by former Broncos defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio; the Chicago Bears ($28.6 million), now coached by former Broncos' head coach John Fox and defensive line coach Jay Rodgers; and the Indianapolis Colts ($38.1 million) have expressed interest in Knighton.

The Broncos have not made a move to re-sign Knighton and, as of Friday, had not been in contact with Franklin's agent.

AND

There is a good chance the Broncos may not sign a player on Day 1 of free agency Tuesday.

Meanwhile, the Broncos are monitoring the market for safety Rahim Moore. He is drawing solid interest from multiple teams. He is considered the second-best safety in the free-agent market, behind only New England's Devin McCourty, who is in hot demand. It could be that once McCourty reaches an agreement, teams losing out on him will turn to Moore.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27671553/julius-thomas-contract-talks-jaguars-orlando-franklin-generating

Northman
03-08-2015, 04:15 PM
Can we straight up trade for McCourty? I wish.

GEM
03-08-2015, 04:32 PM
:laugh: Jags??? Bahahahah!! Have fun with that, Julius!

broncofaninfla
03-08-2015, 04:33 PM
JT owes a lot of thanks to Denver. He was coached and molded into the player he is today, not to mention Peyton Manning throwing the ball to him. Best of luck to him but I'm glad to see Denver didn't fall victim to overspending to keep him.

DenBronx
03-08-2015, 04:41 PM
My only hope is somehow Knighton comes around and stays here. We will have lost too many good FAs.

BroncoWave
03-08-2015, 04:51 PM
I keep forgetting to put you on ignore... Will you remind me later?

Sure thing!

Valar Morghulis
03-08-2015, 04:53 PM
I think the jags will be legit in a few years.

But even so, I don't think JT will even come close to his Denver numbers, which means he will not be earning the ridiculous amount of money he is likley to be getting paid.

CrazyHorse
03-08-2015, 04:54 PM
Teal Julius!

SR
03-08-2015, 04:56 PM
Can we straight up trade for McCourty? I wish.

He's a free agent...

Valar Morghulis
03-08-2015, 04:57 PM
He's a free agent...

We would have the best starting secondary in the league if we could pick him up

SR
03-08-2015, 05:11 PM
We would have the best starting secondary in the league if we could pick him up
Denver already has the best secondary in the NFL without him regardless of who the FS is...or at least one of the top few.

CrazyHorse
03-08-2015, 05:14 PM
Denver already has the best secondary in the NFL without him regardless of who the FS is...or at least one of the top few.

Yep, if only they were coached to their potential.

SR
03-08-2015, 05:15 PM
Yep, if only they were coached to their potential.

It hasn't ever been "coaching" to their potential...it was more not coaching to their strengths. It was a shit, soft scheme. Not aggressive.

silkamilkamonico
03-08-2015, 05:36 PM
In all fairness I think Jacksonville is a couple of players away from having a decent offense. They need a legitimate #1 WR because Blackmon sucks. They need an offensive lineman or two. Their running back situation leaves something to be desired but could be worse. Bortles is a hell of an athlete and has a bright future.

I agree. I think Jacksonville could be very good very soon. They have a plethora of young WR's that could turn into big impact players.

Simple Jaded
03-08-2015, 06:34 PM
Greg Olson might be the OC Bortles needed, apparently he's sort of a QB Whisperer.

BroncoWave
03-08-2015, 07:26 PM
Denver already has the best secondary in the NFL without him regardless of who the FS is.

Did I miss the news of Seattle breaking up their secondary or something?

ShaneFalco
03-08-2015, 07:35 PM

Sherman and Chancellor got traded to Denver 5 min ago.

hamrob
03-08-2015, 08:14 PM
Broncos will sign Myers & Daniels.

Then, they'll act like we really did something.

SR
03-08-2015, 08:24 PM

Each defense has three pro bowl players and one weakness. Seattle has an excellent secondary but so does Denver.

Ravage!!!
03-08-2015, 11:03 PM
So some fans are laughing at Thomas for signing big money to play for Jacksonville? really? Because after Manning, Denver has who throwing him the ball?

Canmore
03-09-2015, 12:37 AM

Yes.

GEM
03-09-2015, 08:51 AM
So some fans are laughing at Thomas for signing big money to play for Jacksonville? really? Because after Manning, Denver has who throwing him the ball?

He's going from perennial winner to perennial loser, hope he's ready for deflated ego. He's had Manning throw him the ball his entire meaningful career. Doesn't matter who does in the future, you don't know who we get to replace Manning so that argument is moot.

BroncoWave
03-09-2015, 09:34 AM
He's going from perennial winner to perennial loser, hope he's ready for deflated ego. He's had Manning throw him the ball his entire meaningful career. Doesn't matter who does in the future, you don't know who we get to replace Manning so that argument is moot.

Do you think he really cares about any of that though? If that player who said he doesn't really like football and just wants a big payday is right, then why would JT not prefer this situation to making less in Denver?

GEM
03-09-2015, 11:04 AM
Do you think he really cares about any of that though? If that player who said he doesn't really like football and just wants a big payday is right, then why would JT not prefer this situation to making less in Denver?

Very true. After listening to Pot Roast on what it was like to go from Jax to Denver, I just think a player should care more about where they are. But if you're only in it for the money, follow it.

silkamilkamonico
03-09-2015, 11:18 AM

Why he needs to get paid now if he can. Manning has one more year in him if he even lasts through the year.

Buff
03-09-2015, 11:18 AM

I don't think it's out of the question that Jacksonville competes for a championship in the next decade. They have an owner who seems willing to spend and a competent coaching staff.

I think JT is soft - but I don't begrudge him for getting paid.

Buff
03-09-2015, 11:20 AM
Let's be honest - this is basically the ideal situation for a pass catcher... Build your resume/stats for a few years with an all time great QB - get overpaid in free agency and move to a warm weather state with no state income taxes. Sign me up.

BroncoWave
03-09-2015, 11:54 AM
Let's be honest - this is basically the ideal situation for a pass catcher... Build your resume/stats for a few years with an all time great QB - get overpaid in free agency and move to a warm weather state with no state income taxes. Sign me up.

Yeah, this is definitely a great deal for him. Probably not as much pressure on him from the fans in Jacksonville either.

GEM
03-09-2015, 12:02 PM
Yeah, this is definitely a great deal for him. Probably not as much pressure on him from the fans in Jacksonville either.

Maybe his dad won't tell the fans how horrible they are either.

Ravage!!!
03-09-2015, 12:39 PM

The argument is NOT moot. :lol: FOr one, a young player gets the opportunity to finally get his big contract, and you believe he should give up MILLIONS of dollars purely because of the team he's going to. THEN, you think the point is MOOT that he knows the young QB that will be throwing in Jax compared to the unknown in Denver? How is that moot? How does that NOT matter?

Its an absurd thought that JT should simply accept the idea of taking 'less' money. I've been the biggest advocate about wanting to keep him, but the idea that he should simply forfeit MILLIONS of dollars is ridiculous.

Valar Morghulis
03-09-2015, 12:44 PM
The argument is NOT moot. :lol: FOr one, a young player gets the opportunity to finally get his big contract, and you believe he should give up MILLIONS of dollars purely because of the team he's going to. THEN, you think the point is MOOT that he knows the young QB that will be throwing in Jax compared to the unknown in Denver? How is that moot? How does that NOT matter?

Its an absurd thought that JT should simply accept the idea of taking 'less' money. I've been the biggest advocate about wanting to keep him, but the idea that he should simply forfeit MILLIONS of dollars is absurd.

Forfeiting millions is only relative to how much he has.

8 mil from Denver and a realistic shot at a ring to me is better than 10 mil in a team that had been constantly below average.

If Denver offered him the league minimum with no guarantees, then it is different.

I love what cobb did, or even our own Harris, after all how many million do you need

Rick
03-09-2015, 12:46 PM

Its an absurd thought that JT should simply accept the idea of taking 'less' money. I've been the biggest advocate about wanting to keep him, but the idea that he should simply forfeit MILLIONS of dollars is ridiculous.

Especially in the NFL where the right combo of players can make the worst team in the league a playoff contender in a single season.

GEM
03-09-2015, 12:50 PM

If someone else is dumb enough to pay him MORE than he's worth, so be it, just happy we aren't the ones that will.

And he's going to a team with Bortles as their qb. 69.5 career qbr.....that's about the same as the unknown. Osweiler meanwhile is 82.5.

Rick
03-09-2015, 01:01 PM
Jax needs to fix that league leading getting put on your ass 55 times that plagued Bortles.

I assumed they would go all in on the OL, and Franklin would be targeted.

Gaining experience and having more targets to get the ball to quicker will help but 55 sacks isn't all on the QB.

GEM
03-09-2015, 01:14 PM
Jax needs to fix that league leading getting put on your ass 55 times that plagued Bortles.

I assumed they would go all in on the OL, and Franklin would be targeted.

Gaining experience and having more targets to get the ball to quicker will help but 55 sacks isn't all on the QB.

Not at all, but he's as unknown as Oz is. And more to the point, Thomas can't catch balls if his qb is on his ass all the time.

Rick
03-09-2015, 01:17 PM
Not at all, but he's as unknown as Oz is.

Oh I agree, not arguing your point, just surprised that I haven't heard of any major interest from Jax with some of the premier OL guys out there.

You can pay JT all you want, and with some time to survey the field he may make a great weapon for Bortles, but if you can't keep Bortles upright the JT signing will do very little to help Bortles out.

Can't complete a pass when you're sitting on your ass.

GEM
03-09-2015, 01:19 PM
I've seen a couple people say they could be close to competing, it will be interesting to see if they make moves to move them in that direction, I don't have a lot of confidence in them.

silkamilkamonico
03-09-2015, 01:22 PM
I would rather have Bortles than Oz easily. In Oz's 3 or so seasons here, I can probably count on 1 hand all the great throws I have seen him make in preseason and the scrimmages I have attended. Not a huge collection of throws but he's had plenty of preseason action. All I see is an extrememly conservative and safe QB that holds on to the ball way too long and takes sacks.

GEM
03-09-2015, 01:24 PM
I would rather have Bortles than Oz easily. In Oz's 3 or so seasons here, I can probably count on 1 hand all the great throws I have seen him make in preseason and the scrimmages I have attended. Not a huge collection of throws but he's had plenty of preseason action. All I see is an extrememly conservative and safe QB that holds on to the ball way too long and takes sacks.

Julius isn't going based on who's throwing him the ball, he's going on who's paying him the most. To claim otherwise is disingenuous at best.

Rick
03-09-2015, 01:28 PM
Julius isn't going based on who's throwing him the ball, he's going on who's paying him the most. To claim otherwise is disingenuous at best.

Did you have to look that up because I will admit I had to.

GEM
03-09-2015, 01:28 PM
Did you have to look that up because I will admit I had to.

No, I honestly love that word! :D

silkamilkamonico
03-09-2015, 01:30 PM

He should. He stays with Denver for a pay cut, he gets 1 year of Manning throwing him the ball (if Manning even makes it a year), and then just as underwhelming seasons with Oz or whomever. Not sure if he's going to get another contract, but if so it won't be any better staying in Denver than going to Jacksonville. I don't think anyone here would take a 15-20%, if not more, company paycut to stay loyal to the same company. And if so, we'd be calling them stupid.

Simple Jaded
03-09-2015, 02:30 PM
Ya know what word I like? Vagina, and it fits JT like a second skin.

We need to find a new vagina,
Any kind of new vagina,
It's hard to rhyme a word like vagina,
Calvin Klein Kind of, North Carolina,

Cugel
03-09-2015, 06:31 PM
He should. He stays with Denver for a pay cut, he gets 1 year of Manning throwing him the ball (if Manning even makes it a year), and then just as underwhelming seasons with Oz or whomever. Not sure if he's going to get another contract, but if so it won't be any better staying in Denver than going to Jacksonville. I don't think anyone here would take a 15-20%, if not more, company paycut to stay loyal to the same company. And if so, we'd be calling them stupid.

Basically this. Your NFL career can end on any single play. One day you're Bo Jackson running down the field for a TD on Monday Night Football. You're on a commmercial almost every sports game: "Bo knows Football. Bo knows Baseball. etc. etc." The next second, BLAM! you've got an artificial hip and are done with football forever (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81d0lmW1h58).

That's why when you get the chance, you better take the money. And they're not coming around to your house the day after they cut you loose and your playing days are done offering you all the money they didn't pay you when you were on top, but failed to cash in.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-09-2015, 06:33 PM
Basically this. Your NFL career can end on any single play. One day you're Bo Jackson running down the field for a TD on Monday Night Football. The next second, BLAM! you've got an artificial hip and are done with football forever (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81d0lmW1h58).

That's why when you get the chance, you better take the money.

Exactly, that's why I didn't blame Decker at all last year.

tomjonesrocks
03-09-2015, 06:36 PM
Exactly, that's why I didn't blame Decker at all last year.

I'm a bit concerned losing the 2 top red-zone threats in back to back years.

Hopefully they run the ball a lot better in the red zone with this regime. They're going to have to.

Cugel
03-09-2015, 06:39 PM
I'm a bit concerned losing the 2 top red-zone threats in back to back years.

Hopefully they run the ball a lot better in the red zone with this regime. They're going to have to.

That's the way the Patriots stay on top. When Wes Welker was averaging 110 catches a season for several years, and he wanted a big contract extension, they let him walk. They just won a championship with Julian Edelman. And if Julian Edelman wants more money when his contract comes due, they'll cut him too.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-09-2015, 06:51 PM
The reason Decker and JT had so many td's is because of the attention DT gets in the red zone. Does anyone really believe that defenses feared either one of those guys in the red zone like DT? If they did you wouldn't see a lb out wide on JT.

No, when we're in the red zone other teams always figure out where DT is first,and usually provide safety help. He's the one people fear. Other people just have to make plays when they are given the chance. This year it will be Cody's turn.

Buff
03-09-2015, 08:09 PM
The reason Decker and JT had so many td's is because of the attention DT gets in the red zone. Does anyone really believe that defenses feared either one of those guys in the red zone like DT? If they did you wouldn't see a lb out wide on JT.

No, when we're in the red zone other teams always figure out where DT is first,and usually provide safety help. He's the one people fear. Other people just have to make plays when they are given the chance. This year it will be Cody's turn.

I would probably disagree on JT. He is a legit matchup nightmare, especially in the red zone. I think our offense was more effective when he was healthy because both he and DT can beat man to man consistently. It's a shame that he's so one dimensional and struggles with injuries; it's counter-intuitive to let a weapon like him go when Peyton Manning is your QB.

DenBronx
03-09-2015, 08:33 PM
New report is saying JT is expected to accept 9 mill a year from Jags.

Ok this guy is incredibly STUPID! The Broncos offer him 8 mill and he turns it down? A million less but you have to uproot your family and now you're having Blake Bortles throw at you.

Money isn't everything. JT is all about the money and in this case it wasnt much more the our offer. His attitude and what his dad said really ticked me off. Goodbye....don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-09-2015, 08:36 PM
I would probably disagree on JT. He is a legit matchup nightmare, especially in the red zone. I think our offense was more effective when he was healthy because both he and DT can beat man to man consistently. It's a shame that he's so one dimensional and struggles with injuries; it's counter-intuitive to let a weapon like him go when Peyton Manning is your QB.

I agree with you to a point. I believe he does create mismatches. I also believe he saw a lot of favorable one on one matchups because DT was on the field.

Rick
03-09-2015, 08:56 PM

Ok this guy is incredibly STUPID! The Broncos offer him 8 mill and he turns it down? A million less but you have to uproot your family and now you're having Blake Bortles throw at you.

Money isn't everything. JT is all about the money and in this case it wasnt much more the our offer. His attitude and what his dad said really ticked me off. Goodbye....don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Its probably not as much the per year as the guaranteed.

DenBronx
03-09-2015, 08:58 PM

Maybe not but is there any reason for him to think he couldn't of earned it anyway in Denver? Is he just wanting a big payday then going to get lazy?

Rick
03-09-2015, 09:03 PM
He probably knows when he keeps skipping games because of nicks, cuts and bruises that Denver would end up cutting him. This way he has security that when Jax cuts him for same reason he will still get paid.

DenBronx
03-09-2015, 09:08 PM
I believe Gronk is getting 9 mill a year. No TE is worth more than that. Period. I hate athletes sometimes.

DenBronx
03-09-2015, 09:10 PM
New Bleacher report is saying we didnt even call JT during the offseason. No shit! We offered him a massive deal and he turned it down!

DenBronx
03-09-2015, 09:11 PM
I'm over it.

Onto athletes that want to help us win.

Rick
03-09-2015, 09:15 PM
Gronk is flat out the only TE I would pay that to, even with his injury history id still pay him because he is unstoppable when he plays.

JT is good but not Gronk good.

VonDoom
03-09-2015, 09:25 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 35m35 minutes ago

Broncos not only didn't make an offer to TE Julius Thomas this offseason, they never made a call.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 34m34 minutes ago

Only time Broncos talked to Julius Thomas' agent Frank Bauer this offseason was last week during 4-year deal for long-snapper Aaron Brewer.

Of course, this is on the heels of Rapoport saying that there was a "hard push" from us. I trust Klis more in this situation.

Oh, and then Big Play Shay, who always had some harsh words for JT, followed with this:

shannon sharpe ‏@ShannonSharpe 19m19 minutes ago

He quit on the Broncos making less than a mil. Give him 9 mil what would he do?

VonDoom
03-09-2015, 09:31 PM

Yeah, I don't think all the details are out yet. $9 million a year for how long? What are the guarantees? IAOFM made the point numerous times that the $8 million the Broncos were offering last year didn't include 2014, meaning he would still play out his small salary before getting a raise, and therefore the AAV was a lot less. I believe there also wasn't much guaranteed money. Either way, he got paid and good for him. He's an ex-Bronco as of tomorrow, so I'm not going to worry about what he's doing at this point.

Simple Jaded
03-09-2015, 11:39 PM
Love me some Shannon Sharpe.

MOtorboat
03-10-2015, 01:32 AM
New Bleacher report is saying we didnt even call JT during the offseason. No shit! We offered him a massive deal and he turned it down!

That's been known for weeks. Stop reading Bleacher Report.

DenBronx
03-10-2015, 01:36 AM

That's been known for weeks. Stop reading Bleacher Report.

Mmmmmm no. Cecil Lammey post on there and I like his articles. I subscribe to everything.

MOtorboat
03-10-2015, 01:37 AM
Mmmmmm no. Cecil Lammey post on there and I like his articles. I subscribe to everything.

Hopefully you don't pay for that crap.

DenBronx
03-10-2015, 04:41 AM

Hopefully you don't pay for that crap.

I wasn't born yesterday and if I was it was earrrrrly in the mornin. In an internet world I aint payin for shit!

Traveler
03-10-2015, 07:11 AM
Can't fault the players for the insane contracts being given out, but I'm willing to bet in two years, many of those same players will be cap casualties.

Ravage!!!
03-10-2015, 12:00 PM

It really wasn't a massive contract. IT was a contract that would have paid him as the 9th best TE in the NFL. I can't blame JE for trying to get a deal, but you can't blame JT for turning that one down, either.

Simple Jaded
03-10-2015, 12:04 PM
JT demanded money he's not remotely worth. . .and got it, can't blame either side. I'm just glad the Broncos had no interest in paying Baby Shit that much money, the $8/per they offered him last year was too much.

Cugel
03-10-2015, 12:08 PM

There's a fan mentality out there among some fans that "you don't want to play for my team for whatever amount of money they want to pay you, then I hate you! You're a quitter and a bum!"

Julius Thomas is a unique talent. He's been injured a lot in his career, which is unfortunate, but he didn't "quit" because "he refused to play hurt", he played hurt his last 3 games, but was a shell of the player he was when healthy.

The Broncos declined to re-sign him because they knew that he was going to get more than the $8 million a year they offered him in the 2014 off season. The difference is likely more than $5 million over the duration of his contract.

And the reality is that, for all the fan complaining, there's not ONE of those fans who would work for less money, let alone throw away $5 million they could have simply by changing jobs. You wouldn't do that, so why should the players? They should show "loyalty" to the team? The team has ZERO loyalty to them. None whatever. This is a business. If you are injured and can't play anymore they shove you out the door, sometimes in mid-season. The only money you will ever see as an NFL player is the guaranteed money, because the base salary is NOT guaranteed as it is in other sports, and in business in general. So, you'd better get the money when you can.

The Broncos didn't think Julius Thomas was worth $9 million a year. They're probably right. He's certainly not worth that to the Broncos who have a limited budget and a lot of other pressing needs.

But, don't pretend this isn't a huge hit to their offense. Anybody thinking that should go back and re-watch the opening game last year. Virgil Green or whoever they bring in is just not going to be close to as good. Period.

It's like some guys who get dumped by their girl-friend and then go around saying "she's a ugly cow anyway!" No. She's still really hot. You're just jealous because you got dumped.

Simple Jaded
03-10-2015, 12:14 PM
He's not a quitter because he wouldn't play hurt, I expect nothing less from the dude, he's a quitter because he flatout refused to do what his job required of him. He went from being a shitty blocker to being a warm body taking up space. BY CHOICE.

Cugel
03-10-2015, 12:25 PM
It really wasn't a massive contract. IT was a contract that would have paid him as the 9th best TE in the NFL. I can't blame JE for trying to get a deal, but you can't blame JT for turning that one down, either.

Fans really need to get used to the fact that the Broncos are going to let some talented players go in FA from here on out. The Patriots do that routinely, just as they did with Wes Welker. They are trying to re-sign Darell Revis, but the Jets might offer more money. If so, the Patriots will not match.

They stay disciplined and maintain their overall cap structure. Some years (like 2013) they suffer because of it. When Gronk got hurt they really didn't have an offense that could compete with the Broncos in the AFC Championship game. This year, with the development of Amendola and Edelman they had more weapons and won the SB.

It takes discipline to compete for the long-term and the Broncos are trying to develop that.

BUT, success depends on two things which the Broncos have not proven yet:

1. They must find a franchise QB for the long term. Brock Osweiler is probably not that guy and they will have to search hard and long to find him.

2. They have to have very solid drafts so that when guys leave via FA, they can be replaced with guys already on the roster. They've made some progress in that direction during Elway's tenure already. For instance, they are developing Bradley Roby to take over for Aquib Talib in a couple of years and Cody Latimer to take over from Julius Thomas or Demaryius Thomas. And the latest word is that CB Kayvon Webster might be the replacement for Rahim Moore (http://predominantlyorange.com/2015/02/06/kayvon-webster-replace-rahim-moore-fs-broncos/)at S, since Moore is likely to get $5-8 million (http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/nfl/den/?r=1) a year in FA.

Cugel
03-10-2015, 12:30 PM
Can't fault the players for the insane contracts being given out, but I'm willing to bet in two years, many of those same players will be cap casualties.

The only money that is real in the NFL is guaranteed money. So the players get a lot of that up-front and in the early years of their contract. The last few years of a contract can be just stuffing - salaries that will never be earned because the team will re-negotiate the contract if they still want the player, or else release him if he refuses to take a pay cut.

ShaneFalco
03-10-2015, 02:36 PM
Former Broncos tight end Shannon Sharpe said Julius Thomas "quit" with the Broncos. Jaguars fans called him out on Twitter. Then this happened...

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/3/10/8183039/shannon-sharpe-melts-down-on-twitter
:lol:

ShaneFalco
03-10-2015, 03:10 PM
So on espn they are saying, the broncos never even offered Franklin a contract, and he said he would have given them a hometown discount...

VonDoom
03-10-2015, 03:12 PM
The details on the JT signing:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1m1 minute ago

The #Jaguars are paying TE Julius Thomas an average of $9.2M over 5 years, I’m told. $24M guaranteed.

DenBronx
03-10-2015, 03:13 PM
So on espn they are saying, the broncos never even offered Franklin a contract, and he said he would have given them a hometown discount...

Yeah that pisses me off. Think he would have excelled in Kubes offense. We need OL guys too man!

This offseason blows.

ShaneFalco
03-10-2015, 03:21 PM
Yeah that pisses me off. Think he would have excelled in Kubes offense. We need OL guys too man!

This offseason blows.to not even offer him a deal, kinda pisses me off. even if it is super low, its better then nothing.

Valar Morghulis
03-10-2015, 03:26 PM

This offseason blows.

I keep adding "so far" after everyone criticises this off season, but there have been that many moves - big moves, and we have did nothing but let our players walk, kinda makes me fear the worst - then i remember #7 and everything seems ok again.

Timmy!
03-10-2015, 03:42 PM
9.2 mil And 24 mil guaranteed. Lol

chazoe60
03-10-2015, 03:44 PM
Good luck ever running to whatever side of the ball JT is playing on Jax. He is going to disappear without Manning throwing him the ball. This will end up looking like a terrible waste of money.

Ravage!!!
03-10-2015, 03:52 PM
k...

chazoe60
03-10-2015, 03:55 PM
k...

Don't get sassy with me Rav!

GEM
03-10-2015, 03:58 PM
The hurt is strong!