PDA

View Full Version : Tight end Virgil Green weighing multiyear offer from Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
03-07-2015, 05:39 PM
With the soft launch of free agency, tight end Virgil Green is weighing a multiyear offer from the Broncos as suitors line up for his services.

Reached Saturday, Green characterized the negotiations as encouraging, but he's not ready to accept yet given the interest. Thirteen teams contacted Green's agent with "six to eight" remaining as serious suitors. Specifics of the Broncos' offer are unknown, but comparable tight ends make from $2 million to $3 million per season.

"The Broncos have talked to me. They didn't tell me what my role would be but they made it clear how valuable I was to them. I love playing in Denver, and I love the fans. But I can't make the decision just based on that," Green said. "I appreciate the offer. But I don't want to react too quickly until I know how other teams see me."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27667290/virgil-green-tight-end-multi-year-offer-denver-broncos

DenBronx
03-07-2015, 05:55 PM
Not the TE was need to be focused on resigning. Maybe lets focus on our probowler instead. But that's just me...

Ziggy
03-07-2015, 06:04 PM
Not the TE was need to be focused on resigning. Maybe lets focus on our probowler instead. But that's just me...

It's you and a few others. JT is gone. Elway won't overpay him. Some other team will.

DenBronx
03-07-2015, 06:11 PM

It's you and a few others. JT is gone. Elway won't overpay him. Some other team will.

You're right, we won't overpay him. If it were my decision id pay him. It's rare to find this type of talent for a TE. JT is very lethal in the redzone, sometimes unstoppable. Id backload his contract and be ready post Manning.

This is only if we can't keep Knighton.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-07-2015, 06:24 PM
A popular refrain in the wake of the news that Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning trimmed his salary by $4 million has become that the Broncos will now be able to keep tight end Julius Thomas.

It’s a fair point, but it assumes the impasse between Denver and the guy who has caught plenty of passes the last two seasons comes from what the Broncos can pay, not from what Thomas wants. Starting Saturday at noon, Thomas can officially find out what others can and will pay.

The Jaguars and Raiders have emerged as possible options. On Friday, chatter surfaced that the Seahawks will make a run at Thomas. And that was before they cut Zach Miller.

rest - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/07/peytons-pay-cut-doesnt-mean-julius-thomas-is-staying-put/

Simple Jaded
03-07-2015, 07:14 PM

Maybe all that money will magically transform JT from a massive vagina to a football player.

Simple Jaded
03-07-2015, 07:22 PM
Think of it this way, if JT gets paid well in FA after the 4 years he spent in Denver he has aboslutely no reason to ever play through pain or put a single ounce of effort into blocking. Dude is a straight up dog, the very definition of a Me-first player, you can't reward that with a large amount of money.

silkamilkamonico
03-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Green is going to be a really good TE. Need to find a way to get him back. The guy literally does everything. Plus, he isn't a massive vagina.

silkamilkamonico
03-07-2015, 07:31 PM
Think of it this way, if JT gets paid well in FA after the 4 years he spent in Denver he has aboslutely no reason to ever play through pain or put a single ounce of effort into blocking. Dude is a straight up dog, the very definition of a Me-first player, you can't reward that with a large amount of money.

I'm not sure I would go that far. This notion that Julius Thomas is a TE though is a joke though. The guy is a big bodied WR. Let's focus on resigning the better big bodied WR and let Julius Thomas go play wideout for another team.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-07-2015, 07:55 PM
In recent years, the Broncos looked at the Giorgio Armani-caliber free agents to pluck off the likes of Peyton Manning, Wes Welker and DeMarcus Ware.

For the 2015 free-agent market, the soaring NFL economy and the Broncos' limited budget may force the team to look at the J.C. Penney-type player.

Meaning no disrespect to the quality of merchandise at J.C. Penney.

NFL free agency is having a "soft opening" that began at 10 a.m. Saturday and will run until 1:59 p.m. Tuesday. Free-agent player reps can negotiate with teams during that period but no contract agreement can be reached until the 2015 league season officially begins at 2 p.m. Tuesday.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27667806/dont-look-big-splash-free-agent-signings-from

DenBronx
03-07-2015, 09:34 PM
Broncos fans turncoat super fast on a player.

Truth is JT is worth top 3 TE money and you know it.

pnbronco
03-07-2015, 09:36 PM
Green is going to be a really good TE. Need to find a way to get him back. The guy literally does everything. Plus, he isn't a massive vagina.

I just think Green would be so good with Kubes.... We lost a lot more games when he was hurt than we did with JT.....I really hope we can keep him.

SR
03-07-2015, 09:40 PM
Broncos fans turncoat super fast on a player. Truth is JT is worth top 3 TE money and you know it.

Doesn't mean we can't win without him and while using the money elsewhere.

VonDoom
03-07-2015, 09:45 PM

I think a lot of people were put off by the comments from his father, and the anonymous comments from a teammate about not playing hard enough. Even if we all loved him, though, it was very unlikely he'd be back. If he is indeed getting top 3 TE money, we just can't afford to pay that, and nor should we. I agree that he is a tremendous red zone threat, but he has not proven he can stay healthy for a full year, and he does often appear soft. Hard to pay that guy big money when we have other issues. Elway wanted him last year and he turned down $8 million a year. Now things have changed.

As for Green, I think he is a great asset for this team. Will he replace JT's production? No. But he is versatile as he showed last year, and he has tremendous potential to actually be a pass catching threat. Plus he'll cost about 1/4 to 1/3 of what JT will cost, which is important when we're trying to decide what to do with a limited budget. I think it's near essential that we bring him back.

Simple Jaded
03-07-2015, 09:52 PM

Are you talking about what he'll get or what he's worth? Because he's basically an overgrown, slow and gutless WR, his "worth" is like any other 60 catch/600 yard WR.

What he'll get and what he's worth are totally different.

dogfish
03-07-2015, 09:57 PM

for a guy who plays like six games a year?? not even close. . .

DenBronx
03-08-2015, 04:16 AM
You guys would have valid points had JT not led the NFL in rec TDs the last 2 years. Vaginas don't score 24 TDs, they just don't.

I know he's good as gone anyway and what his dad said really ticked me off anyway. The problem is we're in win now mode and this is probably Mannings last year. Wish we could of tagged him for 1 more year and just gave DT a multi year deal.

Now, is Dreesen done for good? Would love to have that dude back!

WARHORSE
03-08-2015, 05:24 AM
As potent a player as Julius can be, he is a flower.

The Duke has a rule about paying flowers alot of money.

It goes like this: "Dont pay flowers to play football."

Goodbye and give our best to the family.

If he were tough, Id say pay him.

Hes not.

Goodbye.

SR
03-08-2015, 09:20 AM
You guys would have valid points had JT not led the NFL in rec TDs the last 2 years. Vaginas don't score 24 TDs, they just don't. I know he's good as gone anyway and what his dad said really ticked me off anyway. The problem is we're in win now mode and this is probably Mannings last year. Wish we could of tagged him for 1 more year and just gave DT a multi year deal. Now, is Dreesen done for good? Would love to have that dude back!

JT hasn't led the NFL in receiving TDs the last two years.

Shazam!
03-08-2015, 10:12 AM
Great Tight End. One dimensional player. Broncos will def need better blocking across the board, not just their TEs. Green is the better blocker, different identity. Lotta potential.

GEM
03-08-2015, 10:46 AM

Nah, he's not Gronkowski...not even close. Gronkowski uses his huge size to block, and plays like a giant, heart included.

GEM
03-08-2015, 10:48 AM
You guys would have valid points had JT not led the NFL in rec TDs the last 2 years. Vaginas don't score 24 TDs, they just don't.

I know he's good as gone anyway and what his dad said really ticked me off anyway. The problem is we're in win now mode and this is probably Mannings last year. Wish we could of tagged him for 1 more year and just gave DT a multi year deal.

Now, is Dreesen done for good? Would love to have that dude back!

Joel is on The Fan here a lot. From what I've heard his knee is toast.

broncobuss
03-08-2015, 11:03 AM
I think green is an underrated pass catcher.. coming out of college he was know more for receiving. He's got good size 6'5 255 and not to mention he can also play fb. I like jt. But I think green will fit well in this offense and we can use Latimer to replace some of jt's play. Use the money we save to sign some o linemen

Jsteve01
03-08-2015, 11:06 AM

Now, is Dreesen done for good? Would love to have that dude back! throw out the softy stuff and answer me one questiin. Do you feel confident his ankles aren't chronic? And the Gronk analogy is horrid because he still impacts games when hurt. Jt does not

pnbronco
03-08-2015, 11:35 AM
throw out the softy stuff and answer me one questiin. Do you feel confident his ankles aren't chronic? And the Gronk analogy is horrid because he still impacts games when hurt. Jt does not

This is the bottom line for me. Yes JT when he played was big and a great catcher. The problem is that he gets injured too much and won't play. Gronk has heart and it shows, he played injured a lot and Brady could trust him. Manning lost trust in JT during that one game when the player from the team pulled the ball out of JT's hands....add to the line from Sharpe that JT can't block the sun.

Sharpe played that position and according to Karl came in a lot like JT....lot's of talent but was lazy when it came to blocking. Elway pretty much let him know if he wanted to play that he needed to learn how to block, that blocking comes from working at it. So we all saw what choice Sharpe made and would know what it takes to be that top TE. So I like the excitement that JT has generated, but for 8 million a year we would needed more from him. Deep down I think JT knows that Kubes would be on him all the time about playing that position right and I don't think he has the commitment to football to do that.

Oh and I think that Kubes will be great for Green....he seems to get a lot out of TE and Joel just loved him. Gem you're right, Joel's knee is gone and he tried so hard last year to get one more season out, but it was just too far gone.

GEM
03-08-2015, 11:58 AM
throw out the softy stuff and answer me one questiin. Do you feel confident his ankles aren't chronic? And the Gronk analogy is horrid because he still impacts games when hurt. Jt does not

The gronk analogy is horrid because gronk actually is a top 3 te, jt is not. Jt has had a lot of ankle issues, does make you wonder if he's got glass ankles or if he's just too soft to work through pain vs injury.

GEM
03-08-2015, 11:59 AM
This is the bottom line for me. Yes JT when he played was big and a great catcher. The problem is that he gets injured too much and won't play. Gronk has heart and it shows, he played injured a lot and Brady could trust him. Manning lost trust in JT during that one game when the player from the team pulled the ball out of JT's hands....add to the line from Sharpe that JT can't block the sun.

Sharpe played that position and according to Karl came in a lot like JT....lot's of talent but was lazy when it came to blocking. Elway pretty much let him know if he wanted to play that he needed to learn how to block, that blocking comes from working at it. So we all saw what choice Sharpe made and would know what it takes to be that top TE. So I like the excitement that JT has generated, but for 8 million a year we would needed more from him. Deep down I think JT knows that Kubes would be on him all the time about playing that position right and I don't think he has the commitment to football to do that.

Oh and I think that Kubes will be great for Green....he seems to get a lot out of TE and Joel just loved him. Gem you're right, Joel's knee is gone and he tried so hard last year to get one more season out, but it was just too far gone.

I love when Dreeson is on, I think he is a great football talk guy!

Rick
03-08-2015, 12:04 PM
Football is a team game.

Is JT a TD beast? Yes.

There are other ways to score though, with a guy like Green you can get some of JT's receiving TD's and perhaps with his blocking we can make up the rest with rushing TDs, considering we ARE going to a more running attack.

pnbronco
03-08-2015, 12:12 PM
Football is a team game.

Is JT a TD beast? Yes.

There are other ways to score though, with a guy like Green you can get some of JT's receiving TD's and perhaps with his blocking we can make up the rest with rushing TDs, considering we ARE going to a more running attack.

Great point Rick....we need a running game from the get go and I trust Green a whole lot more in that department for blocking.

Timmy!
03-08-2015, 12:14 PM
Retain Green and give me a cheap Owen Daniels and we're good to go.

SR
03-08-2015, 12:57 PM
Retain Green and give me a cheap Owen Daniels and we're good to go.

A cheap Daniels or Jordan Cameron (with a backup plan) plus a fullback that can catch will fill most of the gap left by JT.

dogfish
03-08-2015, 01:09 PM
A cheap Daniels or Jordan Cameron (with a backup plan) plus a fullback that can catch will fill most of the gap left by JT.

negative. . . jordan cameron's about half a concussion behind welker-- only thing he'd be likely to fill is JT's spot in the training room. . .

SR
03-08-2015, 01:27 PM
negative. . . jordan cameron's about half a concussion behind welker-- only thing he'd be likely to fill is JT's spot in the training room. . .

To each their own.

Valar Morghulis
03-08-2015, 04:56 PM
To each their own.

I agree Cameron is a concussion away from being a gork, but I really like him, the problem is I don't think he will be a cheap pick up - so I can't see us signing an expensive concussion risk.

If the price is right - then yeah, I would roll the dice on him

SR
03-08-2015, 05:12 PM
I agree Cameron is a concussion away from being a gork, but I really like him, the problem is I don't think he will be a cheap pick up - so I can't see us signing an expensive concussion risk. If the price is right - then yeah, I would roll the dice on him

He won't command more than a couple mil per. He has a huge upside and I think with a QB like Manning that won't hang him out to dry like the crap QBs in Cleveland did, I don't think his concussion history would be as big of a deal.

Simple Jaded
03-08-2015, 05:54 PM
The best thing about Cameron is that he might have/want to take a short 1-or-2 year deal to prove he can stay healthy and get that big money deal he was headed for this time last year.

Dapper Dan
03-08-2015, 08:52 PM
I like Virgil Green and I think he's a perfect fit for this system.

LTC Pain
03-09-2015, 09:13 AM
Get Green's ass signed ASAP #7!!!