PDA

View Full Version : Manning to take $4 million pay cut

VonDoom
03-04-2015, 03:13 PM
Per Chris Mortensen and Jeff Legwold:

Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport 7m7 minutes ago

Peyton Manning ready to take $4 million pay-cut on deal in final stages; he'll make $15 million, not $19 million, per @Jeff_Legwold & myself

broncohead
03-04-2015, 03:15 PM
good for him. I don't think he needed to take a pay cut though. I hope JT doesn't stay still haha. Knighton would be a bigger asset imo for our team.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-04-2015, 03:15 PM
Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos are near agreement on a new contract for the 2015 season in which the five-time NFL MVP will take a $4 million pay-cut to provide more cash for the team to do business on the free agent market, which opens with the new league year on March 10.

Manning will make $15 million in base salary in 2015, league and team sources said, down from the $19 million he was scheduled to earn.

The contract is not final until Manning passes a physical exam, which he is expected to take within 24 hours, sources said. Other minor details on the contract also are being finalized, a team source said.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12420422/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-close-agreement-new-contract

VonDoom
03-04-2015, 03:17 PM
Honestly, I was against a restructure to push a cap hit into future years, but a straight up pay cut is fine by me. I don't know what we'll do with that extra $4 million, but it can't hurt.

BroncoWave
03-04-2015, 03:21 PM
Cool! Even better than a restructure. Gotta give Peyton credit for trying to help the team keep some of our talent.

Timmy!
03-04-2015, 03:33 PM
In before "Manning would never take a paycut"

Pudge
03-04-2015, 03:37 PM
He should have taken league minimum. Greedy *******

Rick
03-04-2015, 03:38 PM
I think he earned the right to do a restructure or release over a cut but I am thankful he agreed to a cut.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-04-2015, 03:47 PM
I think he earned the right to do a restructure or release over a cut but I am thankful he agreed to a cut.

I saw this earlier today, but we don't really know if it's an actual cut or restructure until the agreement is released. Some of the money might be deferred.

Either way, it's obvious he wants to win.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-04-2015, 03:49 PM
The Broncos wanted Peyton Manning back, and he wanted to be back.

But the Broncos have $4 million reasons to be happier today.

According to Chris Mortensen and Jeff Legwold of ESPN, the Broncos and Manning are in the “final stages” of a deal to cut his pay from $19 million to $15 million.

This kind of news was anticipated, as both sides wanted each other.

But giving back $4 million (especially when Tom Brady ends up with more money to create cap space) is a win for the Broncos, as they attempt to keep tight end Julius Thomas after franchising wide receiver Demaryius Thomas.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/04/broncos-peyton-manning-in-final-stages-of-a-4-million-pay-cut/

pedrohmlima
03-04-2015, 03:53 PM
BUT I THOUGHT HE WAS A SELFISH MATAFACKER?

C'mon Peyt let's make some noise

DenBronx
03-04-2015, 03:55 PM
Awesome awesome awesome! This will help his team be competitive again this year and possibly keep one of his favorite targets, Julius!

Knightons probably going to be the odd guy out and we might draft another DT.

NightTerror218
03-04-2015, 03:57 PM
$4 could mean two vets on roster....good job Peyton for being a team player.

Timmy!
03-04-2015, 04:06 PM
This being reported everywhere as a true pay cut, not a restructure.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-04-2015, 04:11 PM
Peyton Manning is returning to play a fourth season with the Broncos, 18th in the NFL, according to two NFL sources.

For the first time in Manning's career, he has agreed on a pay reduction. Two NFL sources confirmed a report by ESPN's Chris Mortensen, a longtime close associate of the quarterback, that Manning will take a pay cut from $19 million to $15 million in 2015.

Manning, who will turn 39 on March 24, is expected to be at Broncos headquarters Thursday to take his physical exam and sign his restructured contract.

The question must be asked: Was squabbling over $4 million worth irking the team's franchise player? Pay cut negotiations took three weeks. The Broncos had initially proposed a more severe cut, according to sources.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27643316/peyton-manning-return-broncos-2015-agrees-pay-cut

Buff
03-04-2015, 04:17 PM
Where is cugel? He was just telling everyone how dumb they were for merely suggesting that manning might be asked to take a pay cut.

VonDoom
03-04-2015, 04:20 PM
I saw this earlier today, but we don't really know if it's an actual cut or restructure until the agreement is released. Some of the money might be deferred.

Either way, it's obvious he wants to win.

As Timmy said, there's nothing about a restructure being reported. The wording is that his SALARY will be cut to $15 million. If it said "cap number" instead, it would probably be a restructure, but this looks just like base salary. With his deferred bonus, his cap number was going to be $21.5 million this year, so my guess is it's down to $17.5 million, unless they do a restructure on top of the cut.

Shazam!
03-04-2015, 04:29 PM
So I guess the BR article "Broncos ready to move on from Manning' was completely inaccurate.

VonDoom
03-04-2015, 04:40 PM
So I guess the BR article "Broncos ready to move on from Manning' was completely inaccurate.

Surprised that Bleacher Report is just throwing crap against the wall?

Timmy!
03-04-2015, 04:46 PM
Bleacher report inaccurate? That never ever happens.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-04-2015, 04:51 PM
rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27643316/peyton-manning-return-broncos-2015-agrees-pay-cut

Interesting....it leads me to speculate a few things....

1. Elway got under Manning's skin a little bit.

2. This probably came directly from Manning because Mort broke the report.

Before anyone jumps all over me wondering why I could suggest this, my answer is simple: "Read the frickin' article" :laugh:

VonDoom
03-04-2015, 04:54 PM
Hmm, I'm interested to see what these "incentives" are:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 16m16 minutes ago

Even with Peyton Manning’s looming $4M pay cut to $15M in 2015, he can make up the money in incentives. Won’t change #Broncos FA approach.

Dapper Dan
03-04-2015, 04:57 PM
I love that man.

DenBronx
03-04-2015, 04:58 PM
Peyton reportedly "irked" by having to take a paycut.

Hey Elway plays hardball. That's just the way it works around here. Deal with it or goodbye.

Dapper Dan
03-04-2015, 05:07 PM

Hey Elway plays hardball. That's just the way it works around here. Deal with it or goodbye.

I highly doubt that's Elway's approach. And if it is, we won't be getting or keeping players anytime soon.

DenBronx
03-04-2015, 05:09 PM
Read reports that said Denver insisted the pay cut.
Now reading that althought Manning finally accepted the deal he was "irked."

Seem like that idea was forced and one sided? Yeah I do too....

#hardball

Dapper Dan
03-04-2015, 05:11 PM
Was that I reply to me? I couldn't tell.

Timmy!
03-04-2015, 05:12 PM
He obviously wasn't too "irked" or he wouldn't agree to it, it just took 3 weeks to find something both parties could agree to. If only somebody had seen this all coming weeks ago.... #nostratimmy

DenBronx
03-04-2015, 05:13 PM
Just a reply in general and my opinion.

DenBronx
03-04-2015, 05:16 PM
What's Mannings alternative?

Moving when he and his family has settled in Denver? Going to a complete new team, learning a new system and the style of all the players all over again? Going to a team thats not as competitive as Denver? He doesn't have time or patience for that in this stage of his career. Of course he would take the paycut but probably didn't really want to.

Dapper Dan
03-04-2015, 05:16 PM
Your opinion is that players will do what Elway wants and if they don't, they can leave. I don't think that's the way it's going. If Elway was like that toward Peyton Manning, he would be retired.

DenBronx
03-04-2015, 05:20 PM
Your opinion is that players will do what Elway wants and if they don't, they can leave. I don't think that's the way it's going. If Elway was like that toward Peyton Manning, he would be retired.

Elway has tact. He had magic on the field and he has it off the field in the front office. He always wins in his deals. He wanted Manning to take a paycut, a guy that has a history of never doing that and he made him take a paycut.

Elway won. Again.

Timmy!
03-04-2015, 05:22 PM
Elway has tact. He had magic on the field and he has it off the field in the front office. He always wins in his deals. He wanted Manning to take a paycut, a guy that has a history of never doing that and he made him take a paycut.

Elway won. Again.

For the 3rd time in as many threads, Manning freed up cap space in Indy previously, twice. If you want to continue to champion Elway as a great GM, by all means, but at least get the facts right.

DenBronx
03-04-2015, 05:24 PM
For a guy that goes 1 and done he shouldn't be "irked" by making 15 million. Just be happy, pad your stats and hopefully get past the 1st round this year.

Mmmmmkayyy?

That'll be greaaaaaaat.

Timmy!
03-04-2015, 05:25 PM
For a guy that goes 1 and done he shouldn't be "irked" by making 15 million. Just be happy, pad your stats and hopefully get past the 1st round this year.

Mmmmmkayyy?

That'll be greaaaaaaat.

The Broncos have been past the 1st round every year with Manning.

DenBronx
03-04-2015, 05:26 PM

Elway won. Again.

For the 3rd time in as many threads, Manning freed up cap space in Indy previously, twice. If you want to continue to champion Elway as a great GM, by all means, but at least get the facts right.

Oh ok im sorry for not knowing the history of the Colts franchise.

DenBronx
03-04-2015, 05:28 PM

Mmmmmkayyy?

That'll be greaaaaaaat.

The Broncos have been past the 1st round every year with Manning.

Our 1st round was against the Colts. Wasnt counting the wildcard round. Im not satisfied with that. Glad you like exiting in embarrassing fashion but I do not.

Timmy!
03-04-2015, 05:28 PM
Oh ok im sorry for not knowing the history of the Colts franchise.

Sorry for calling you out on false statements presented as facts.

Ziggy
03-04-2015, 05:29 PM
Awesome awesome awesome! This will help his team be competitive again this year and possibly keep one of his favorite targets, Julius!

I don't think this affect JT or Knighton in the least. I have yet to see any real evidence that Elway will try to bring them back.

Timmy!
03-04-2015, 05:33 PM
I don't think this affect JT or Knighton in the least. I have yet to see any real evidence that Elway will try to bring them back.

Mike Iupati come on down.

DenBronx
03-04-2015, 05:36 PM

Sadly, you're probably right. Saw on ESPN right now that Mike Iupati might be on our radar.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-04-2015, 05:37 PM
The Broncos taketh away, and the Broncos potentially giveth back.

Per multiple reports, Denver quarterback Peyton Manning can earn as incentives the money he agreed to sacrifice in 2015 base salary. In other words, his $19 million base salary has become a $15 million base salary plus up to $4 million in incentives.

The triggers aren’t yet known. It’s also not known whether Manning took a portion of his 2015 base salary as a signing bonus, creating even more 2015 cap room (but pushing extra cap room into 2016).

The type of incentives also becomes important. So-called “likely to be earned” incentives count as 2015 cap dollars, with a credit in 2016 if not earned. “Not likely to be earned” incentives count as 2016 cap dollars, if earned.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/04/peyton-can-earn-back-his-4-million/

VonDoom
03-04-2015, 05:47 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/04/peyton-can-earn-back-his-4-million/

Legwold just posted that the incentives include winning the AFCCG and winning the Super Bowl. Those will probably be classified as "not likely to be earned"

Northman
03-04-2015, 05:48 PM

Yeeeep. Welcome to Bronco football Pey Pey.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-04-2015, 05:50 PM
Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 13m

Also from @mortreport and me ... Manning deal will include incentives for AFC Champ game win and Super Bowl win.

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 15m

From @mortreport and me ... #Broncos and Manning have completed terms of deal pending physical Thursday and the formal signing Thursday.

Timmy!
03-04-2015, 05:51 PM
Legwold just posted that the incentives include winning the AFCCG and winning the Super Bowl. Those will probably be classified as "not likely to be earned"

I was hoping those were two of the incentives.

Northman
03-04-2015, 05:54 PM

Hopefully the incentive is to win the SB. He's already long padded his stats so i hope its not something stat related.

Northman
03-04-2015, 05:54 PM

As it should be.

Dapper Dan
03-04-2015, 05:59 PM
:lol: Broncos fans are kinda as5holes

BroncoWave
03-04-2015, 06:01 PM

How so? They still could have very well been ready to move on had he not agreed to a pay cut. Who knows?

Dapper Dan
03-04-2015, 06:03 PM
What's an end of the year exit physical? Is it the same thing as the offseason physical that you usually hear about? I didn't know there was an exit physical. Apparently Manning passed that.

DenBronx
03-04-2015, 06:09 PM

Yeah kind of but we just want to win and win now. ;)

Denver Native (Carol)
03-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Peyton Manning, take four. Manning returns to the Broncos seeking his second Super Bowl title, the only line missing on his résumé since joining Denver as a free agent in 2012. His decision ends six weeks of speculation regarding his future after a stinging playoff loss and coaching staff upheaval.

Teammates never wavered in their desire for the 38-year-old Manning to come back even after the five-time NFL MVP slumped in the second half of last season.

They welcomed Wednesday's news, the first of several critical roster wrinkles that must be ironed out this offseason.

"It means a lot - 18 is a worker and a great leader," Pro Bowl running back C.J. Anderson said. "I am glad to have him back. Now let's win a bowl."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27644427/broncos-teammates-excited-peyton-manning-will-return

Denver Native (Carol)
03-04-2015, 06:13 PM
from same article:

While he was making his decision Manning received support from across the NFL, with Patriots quarterback Tom Brady and Seattle's Russell Wilson among those urging him to continue playing. Reigning NFL MVP Aaron Rodgers allowed that "Peyton has nothing left to prove," but still wanted him to return.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27644427/broncos-teammates-excited-peyton-manning-will-return

BroncoWave
03-04-2015, 06:14 PM
"It means a lot - 18 is a worker and a great leader," Pro Bowl running back C.J. Anderson said. "I am glad to have him back. Now let's win a bowl."

Hopefully it's not some shitty bowl game like the Independence Bowl or the Sun Bowl. :D

Rick
03-04-2015, 06:17 PM
Brock Osweiler reportedly had this to say:

oSgAMUp1HfI

Northman
03-04-2015, 06:18 PM

Apparently you have never met Raven fans. lol

DenBronx
03-04-2015, 06:22 PM
Or raider fans. Lol

DenBronx
03-04-2015, 06:40 PM
Broncos initially wanted Manning to take a bigger paycut. Maybe that's why Manning was "irked" Lol

Elway is swinging for the fences!! Love that guy!

From NBC Sports Talk for Android:

Report: Broncos initially sought a bigger pay cut for Manning
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/04/report-broncos-initially-sought-a-bigger-pay-cut-for-manning/

Denver Native (Carol)
03-04-2015, 06:44 PM
After agreeing to a $4 million pay cut, Peyton Manning is back for his fourth season with the Broncos, 18th in the NFL.

"I don't talk about my contract. I never have in 18 years and I'm not going to start now,"Manning said Wednesday afternoon. "I've been working real hard and I'm excited to be back with the Denver Broncos. Can't wait for April 13 to get here when the team can finally come together. I'm excited to get to work and get to know the new coaches and looking forward to trying to make 2015 a special year."

Manning will take his physical examination at Broncos headquarters on Thursday morning.

"I see that as being pretty routine," he said.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-04-2015, 06:45 PM
I think everyone can agree, Philly fans put the sphincter in ass-hole.

Northman
03-04-2015, 06:50 PM
I think everyone can agree, Philly fans put the sphincter in ass-hole.

For your enjoyment. A Cowboy fan friend of mine showed me this. I have to admit, i dont get Kelly's thinking there either. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f7z_zxQ4c8#t=42

chazoe60
03-04-2015, 06:51 PM
Where is cugel? He was just telling everyone how dumb they were for merely suggesting that manning might be asked to take a pay cut.

You read that dude's posts?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-04-2015, 06:54 PM
For your enjoyment. A Cowboy fan friend of mine showed me this. I have to admit, i dont get Kelly's thinking there either. lol

ok, so here I am laughing out loud in the office.

Bro, next time please throw in a nsfw? :laugh:

That dude said the f-word more times than a brigade of drunk soldiers.

DenBronx
03-04-2015, 06:55 PM
Kinda sounds like Manning is pouting in some of these articles. I believe Tom Brady has zero regrets on taking less. He ended up with another Lombardi.

chazoe60
03-04-2015, 06:56 PM
Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-04-2015, 06:56 PM
Kinda sounds like Manning is pouting in some of these articles. I believe Tom Brady has zero regrets on taking less. He ended up with another Lombardi.

Brady restructured, he did not take less. He actually ended up with more garanteed money.

BroncoWave
03-04-2015, 06:58 PM

I totally agree with Philly's thinking. Think Portis-Bailey.

RB's have a short shelf life and are a dime-a-dozen. If you can flip a RB who is entering his late 20s for a top defensive player, you absolutely do it.

McCoy has led the NFL in touches over the last 5 years. He's probably as good as he will ever be right now. Always sell high on RBs, they are easily replacable.

spikerman
03-04-2015, 07:01 PM

He seems a tad irked.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-04-2015, 07:10 PM
He seems a tad irked.

He has a form of turrets which makes him say the f word a lot.

VonDoom
03-04-2015, 07:27 PM

Mortensen clarified that it's $2 million for each of the above incentives. I doubt any fan would have an issue with Manning making his full $19 million next year, right?

Slick
03-04-2015, 07:47 PM
Mortensen clarified that it's $2 million for each of the above incentives. I doubt any fan would have an issue with Manning making his full $19 million next year, right?

Not at all. Something I think we can all agree on.

TXBRONC
03-04-2015, 07:58 PM

Oh my that was funny. :lol:

Denver Native (Carol)
03-04-2015, 08:18 PM
from article:

The report mentions no specific playing-time minimum to qualify for the money. If there is none, it means that Manning could earn the money even if he gets injured and unproven fourth-year backup Brock Osweiler leads the team to the Super Bowl.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/04/peytons-incentives-are-tied-to-winning-afc-title-super-bowl/

Simple Jaded
03-04-2015, 08:29 PM
In before "Manning would never take a paycut"

I take back nearly everything I ever said about him.

Simple Jaded
03-04-2015, 08:34 PM
"I'll wait. . .I'll wait. . . .i'll wait"

tomjonesrocks
03-04-2015, 09:22 PM
Peyton reportedly "irked" by having to take a paycut. Hey Elway plays hardball. That's just the way it works around here. Deal with it or goodbye.

Can someone please post a direct link or quote?

All I've read is Manning to discuss the contract.

DenBronx
03-04-2015, 09:34 PM
from article:

The report mentions no specific playing-time minimum to qualify for the money. If there is none, it means that Manning could earn the money even if he gets injured and unproven fourth-year backup Brock Osweiler leads the team to the Super Bowl.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/04/peytons-incentives-are-tied-to-winning-afc-title-super-bowl/

So Manning can recover the money only if he wins the AFC title and maybe SuperBowl.

Tough task but if he does then it will be more than deserved.

Simple Jaded
03-04-2015, 09:38 PM

RB's have a short shelf life and are a dime-a-dozen. If you can flip a RB who is entering his late 20s for a top defensive player, you absolutely do it.

McCoy has led the NFL in touches over the last 5 years. He's probably as good as he will ever be right now. Always sell high on RBs, they are easily replacable.
I like Alonso but he's no Champ Bailey, and I think that's where Kelly screwed the pooch, he didn't get enough in return. Broncos got an All-Pro and future HoFer to go with a suitable RB in return for Poorti$, Kelly got a 3rd year ILB coming off a serious injury.

Kelly has to hope Alonso stays healthy, he's a good player if he does, but he also has to parlay the cap savings into competent FA moves. But regardless of what happens next he squandered a valuable asset.

Plus he's a giant bag of douche.

Buff
03-04-2015, 09:49 PM
McCoy turned into just another guy last year. I wouldn't ever consider paying him $11 mil/year at this stage. The Eagles will end up being the clear winners here and it's not close IMO.

BroncoWave
03-04-2015, 10:03 PM
McCoy turned into just another guy last year. I wouldn't ever consider paying him $11 mil/year at this stage. The Eagles will end up being the clear winners here and it's not close IMO.

Yep, he probably has more trade value right now than he ever will again. Very savvy move by Chip. By the same token, though, I think it's a good move for the Bills as well. They have pieces to spare on defense, and they needed another playmaker on offense. I really see this trade as a win-win.

Simple Jaded
03-04-2015, 10:26 PM
McCoy had his role decreased, let's not pretend he lost a step.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have traded him, I'm saying the Eagles took it in the shorts just so they could bring in "his guy". But hey, worked wonders for McDaniels and Spurrier, am I right?

Buff
03-04-2015, 10:31 PM

I'm not saying they shouldn't have traded him, I'm saying the Eagles took it in the shorts just so they could bring in "his guy". But hey, worked wonders for McDaniels and Spurrier, am I right?

I genuinely believe he lost a step. His role decreased because he wasn't that effective. I could be totally wrong, but I think it was a shrewd move.

VonDoom
03-04-2015, 10:50 PM

My first reaction was "Chip is bringing in Oregon guys" but after reading Barnwell's article today, I think it's not that simple:

Alonso will become the ninth Oregon player on Philadelphia’s roster, which is sort of staggering, but he’s also very clearly the highest-profile and most important Oregon product of the bunch. Most of the Oregon players Kelly’s brought in are special-teamers and fringe contributors like Jeff Maehl, Kenjon Barner, and Taylor Hart. The only Oregon alum on the Eagles roster to suit up on more than 20 percent of the offensive or defensive snaps last year was Casey Matthews, whose arrival in Philly actually precedes Kelly’s time in town.

Given that the pool of replacement-level players competing for the last few spots on an NFL roster is enormous and likely impossible to sift through with any sort of reliable ability, there’s something to be said for focusing on a particular archetype and using that to emphasize some of the things you can control. Bringing in Oregon products to fill the back end of the roster gives Kelly players who are familiar with his intense practices and guys who are likely to be onboard with the program without raising much of a stink.

It’s a mistake to take those guys and have them fill meaningful roles — that’s where Steve Spurrier went wrong in Washington, if we can identify one of the many ways where Steve Spurrier went wrong in Washington — but up to this point, Kelly really hasn’t done that. Now, with personnel power, he’s gone out and acquired a former Oregon star to play a meaningful role on his team. It’s possible this is a one-time thing, that Alonso was a useful player at a position of need who just happened to come from Kelly’s college program. It’s also possible that the Eagles could become Oregon East in a more meaningful way in 2015. With Kelly winning his power struggle against Howie Roseman this offseason, we’ll see what happens in the seasons to come.

The rest: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/lesean-mccoy-kiko-alonso-trade-philadelphia-eagles-buffalo-bills/

Denver Native (Carol)
03-04-2015, 10:51 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- After all of the back and forth, all of the work done between the Denver Broncos and quarterback Peyton Manning, to go with all of the hand-wringing across the Front Range about his return, the Broncos and Manning are all-in once again to chase a Super Bowl trip.

It's touchy business, this negotiating with a future Hall of Famer about taking less salary than you agreed to give him a few years before. But this is what the Broncos did at a meeting last month.

Manning arrived at the Broncos' suburban Denver complex to tell team officials, including executive vice president of football operations/general manager John Elway, he was ready physically and mentally to come back for the 2015 season. That he was ready to work with the team's new coaching staff, that he believed he could still contribute at the level he needs to in the chase for his second Super Bowl ring and the Broncos' third.

And the Broncos told him they certainly want him back. But the Broncos, with a long list of free agents and plenty of cash commitments -- in terms of bonuses due and guaranteed salaries that had to be accounted for in escrow in the first week of free agency -- were also hoping for some relief.

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/12224/broncos-peyton-manning-find-common-ground-the-super-bowl

Simple Jaded
03-04-2015, 11:15 PM
I genuinely believe he lost a step. His role decreased because he wasn't that effective. I could be totally wrong, but I think it was a shrewd move.

Perhaps McCoy was shopped and this was the best deal they could find.

Northman
03-04-2015, 11:49 PM

Em, Bailey really didnt bring any championships to Denver either so not the best comparison. I can buy into that players are replaceable but there are those backs who are actually top echelon backs so im not really sold that Philly got the better end of the deal there. I mean, if you are going to trade away a quality back at least get equal compensation for him. In Denver's case at least they got a quality defender for Portis, i dont think the Eagles got near a quality player as Buffalo did.

Northman
03-04-2015, 11:51 PM
So Manning can recover the money only if he wins the AFC title and maybe SuperBowl.

Tough task but if he does then it will be more than deserved.

Absolutely, if he manages to get us back to the dance and win he will have earned that incentive. No doubt about it.

Northman
03-04-2015, 11:52 PM
I like Alonso but he's no Champ Bailey, and I think that's where Kelly screwed the pooch, he didn't get enough in return. Broncos got an All-Pro and future HoFer to go with a suitable RB in return for Poorti$, Kelly got a 3rd year ILB coming off a serious injury.

Kelly has to hope Alonso stays healthy, he's a good player if he does, but he also has to parlay the cap savings into competent FA moves. B

Exactly

Northman
03-04-2015, 11:54 PM

Yea, i think you are totally wrong in this case. Chip just started balancing out the back work, had nothing to do with McCoy losing a step. In fact, there were many rumblings he wasnt used enough last year especially down the stretch. I think another part is Chip is very pass happy and runs very little.

Northman
03-04-2015, 11:55 PM
My first reaction was "Chip is bringing in Oregon guys" but after reading Barnwell's article today, I think it's not that simple:

The rest: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/lesean-mccoy-kiko-alonso-trade-philadelphia-eagles-buffalo-bills/

Sounds kind of like Steve Spurrier. lol

Timmy!
03-05-2015, 12:55 AM
Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.

Blessed are you my brother.

Ziggy
03-05-2015, 01:13 AM
McCoy was 2nd in the NFL in total yardage from week 5 on. Only DeMarco Murray had more. Alonzo had a season ending injury, but when healthy he's a top flight 3 down linebacker on a rookie salary. I think it was a good trade for both teams, depending on what the Eagles do with the cap space. It doesn't compare to the Champ-Portis trade because both of those players were entering their prime and at the same point in their careers. They also had comparable salaries when they were traded. This one is unique. I can see the point for both teams making the trade.

mouthofsouth
03-05-2015, 02:38 AM
The Yahoo article I read says that he can make the pay cut back in bonuses based on achievement. I take it that he is promised extra money if he wins a Super Bowl.

capt. Jack
03-05-2015, 06:01 AM
Chipper is doing a " MCDANIELS" to the EAGLES.
Looks like He is a power hungry control freak?

BroncoWave
03-05-2015, 08:15 AM
Em, Bailey really didnt bring any championships to Denver either so not the best comparison. I can buy into that players are replaceable but there are those backs who are actually top echelon backs so im not really sold that Philly got the better end of the deal there. I mean, if you are going to trade away a quality back at least get equal compensation for him. In Denver's case at least they got a quality defender for Portis, i dont think the Eagles got near a quality player as Buffalo did.

So for a trade to work it has to win you a title? Sorry, North, but that is horrible logic. All you can do is compare the two teams making the trade to see who won it. Portis was basically out of the league in a few years after being traded, and Champ was a pro bowler for 8 years in Denver.

McCoy is just about to hit that point where RBs hit their deline, and may have already started that decline this past season. As I said, he has the most touches in the NFL of any player over the past 5 seasons. That takes a toll on a RB. Now maybe I'm wrong and he's a guy like AP or LT who stays good into his 30s. Or maybe he's like most NFL RBs who start to fizzle out when they get into their late 20s.

BroncoWave
03-05-2015, 08:17 AM
Sounds kind of like Steve Spurrier. lol

Then it seems like you didn't read the article. Spurrier brought in tons of Florida guys to start at key positions. Kelly only had one Oregon player last season play 20% or more of the snaps, and it was a guy who was on the roster before Chip even got there.

So yeah, sorry, not sounding anything like Spurrier.

chazoe60
03-05-2015, 08:40 AM

Not even close. If he were doing a McDaniels he would have traded McCoy for a five foot nothing CB, a TE who caught 12 passes in college, the worst QB in history, or a long snapper. Alonso is a damn fine football player if healthy and he comes in at a much smaller cap hit. I don't hate this trade for the Eagles at all.

TXBRONC
03-05-2015, 09:39 AM

Not winning a championship doesn't make it a bad deal. In terms of salary the Eagles got the better end of the deal in terms of production it remains to be seen.

Northman
03-05-2015, 10:11 AM
Not winning a championship doesn't make it a bad deal. In terms of salary the Eagles got the better end of the deal in terms of production it remains to be seen.

I didnt say the Bailey/Portis trade was a bad deal, only a bad comparison because the defender in this case isnt worth the same value as McCoy. The LB has exactly one year under his belt while being injured the second year. Thats not equal compensation for a quality back like McCoy. Perhaps it will work out long term for the Eagles but as now its not anywhere near the worth of what McCoy is. At least the Bailey/Portis deal had equal value, not so in this case.

BroncoWave
03-05-2015, 10:22 AM
I didnt say the Bailey/Portis trade was a bad deal, only a bad comparison because the defender in this case isnt worth the same value as McCoy. The LB has exactly one year under his belt while being injured the second year. Thats not equal compensation for a quality back like McCoy. Perhaps it will work out long term for the Eagles but as now its not anywhere near the worth of what McCoy is. At least the Bailey/Portis deal had equal value, not so in this case.

You aren't looking at the bigger picture here, North. The salary cap savings in this trade allows Philly to add another quality player. Let's just say, hypothetically, that the new cap room lets them sign a guy like Iupati. Then, in effect, their trade would be McCoy for alonso and Iupati.

CoachChaz
03-05-2015, 10:53 AM
You aren't looking at the bigger picture here, North. The salary cap savings in this trade allows Philly to add another quality player. Let's just say, hypothetically, that the new cap room lets them sign a guy like Iupati. Then, in effect, their trade would be McCoy for alonso and Iupati.

That's the big key. Not only do they get a young player with All-Pro capability, to complete one of the more dynamic ILB tandems in the game...but they get an additional 10 mil in cap space to fill other positions with very good players.

If they can use that space to fill those positions of need, then they create an opportunity where they can afford to give up the extra picks needed to move up and draft Mariotta. Which then opens up an option to trade Foles and get some picks back.

If Kelly plays this right, it can end up being a very sweet deal. If not, he can set the franchise back a bit.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-05-2015, 11:13 AM
Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 1h

Peyton Manning has arrived to #Broncos Dove Valley facility. Probably won't be here long...Take physical, sign deal.

TXBRONC
03-05-2015, 11:40 AM

True, as far as accomplishments McCoy has more. However, monetarily it favors the Eagles because they're no longer on the hook for McCoy's salary. Ultimately, it will take time figure out if the deal favor one team or the other.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-05-2015, 12:29 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 16h

Von Miller ($3.239 mill to $9.754). Emmanuel Sanders ($3 mil to $7.85 mil); Demaryius Thomas ($3.275 mil to $12.822 mill).

Why the pay cut? Broncos have $20.9 million cash increase to 3 players alone--Von Miller, Emmanuel Sanders, Demaryius Thomas--from last year

VonDoom
03-05-2015, 01:19 PM
Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 50m50 minutes ago

OFFICIAL: Peyton Manning is returning to the Denver #Broncos in 2015.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-05-2015, 01:19 PM
That's the big key. Not only do they get a young player with All-Pro capability, to complete one of the more dynamic ILB tandems in the game...but they get an additional 10 mil in cap space to fill other positions with very good players.

If they can use that space to fill those positions of need, then they create an opportunity where they can afford to give up the extra picks needed to move up and draft Mariotta. Which then opens up an option to trade Foles and get some picks back.

If Kelly plays this right, it can end up being a very sweet deal. If not, he can set the franchise back a bit.

Additionally, this is a very deep RB class. They could find a quality starter in the 2nd or 3rd round. There are probably 10 rb's in this class that have 1st or 2nd round talent.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-05-2015, 01:20 PM
Peyton Manning passed his mandatory physical Thursday, making his return to the Broncos in 2015 official, the team announced.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27650532/peyton-manning-passes-physical-makes-return-broncos-official

Spiritguy
03-05-2015, 01:50 PM
Good article about the relationship between Manning and his running backs.

It was the 0.1%, the moment that happens one in every thousand. Peyton Manning was hollering at his Broncos' (http://www.si.com/nfl/team/denver-broncos) offense in that Tennessee-twanged Cajun accent all his own, and C.J. Anderson (http://www.si.com/nfl/player/cj-anderson) thought his quarterback was seeing the play all wrong. Denver’s season-finale against the Raiders (http://www.si.com/nfl/team/oakland-raiders) was essentially over, the Broncos leading 33-14 in the fourth quarter, and on this play, Anderson, the tailback, didn’t think that Manning (who he says is right 99.9% of the time) had read the defense quite right. He alerted his quarterback but failed to convince. Manning stuck to the play call, waiting too long in the pocket and eventually taking a hit from linebacker Miles Burris (http://www.si.com/nfl/player/miles-burris).

Dropped in protection, Anderson didn’t see anything but the incomplete pass downfield. But when he turned around and saw what had happened, he couldn’t resist. “Ah, man, I tried to tell you,” he yelled to Manning, allowing himself a split second to gloat. “I’ll take my 0.1% when I can get it,” Anderson said, recounting the play the next day. He knows how rare those moments are.

In the second half of the 2014 season, Anderson emerged as one of the NFL’s better running backs, averaging 108 yards over the final six-regular-season games. The Broncos rode a No. 2 seed into the playoffs, but on Jan. 11, despite an 80-yard campaign from Anderson, their season came to a surprising end at the hands of the Colts (http://www.si.com/nfl/team/indianapolis-colts) in the divisional round of the playoffs. And in the hours and days that followed, speculation began: would Manning, the man Anderson credits with much of his success, retire?

more here. (http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/02/12/peyton-manning-cj-anderson-denver-broncos)

Dapper Dan
03-05-2015, 02:12 PM

Von Miller ($3.239 mill to $9.754). Emmanuel Sanders ($3 mil to $7.85 mil); Demaryius Thomas ($3.275 mil to $12.822 mill).

Why the pay cut? Broncos have $20.9 million cash increase to 3 players alone--Von Miller, Emmanuel Sanders, Demaryius Thomas--from last year

Those greedy bass turds

Denver Native (Carol)
03-05-2015, 02:13 PM
Elway on Manning's return, next steps
Broncos TV talks 1-on-1 with John Elway about Peyton Manning returning to the Broncos in 2015.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Elway-on-Mannings-return-next-steps--/8e035a7e-3eb0-4f33-a516-0f34a9949ece

Kubiak: Manning excited to get to work
Broncos TV talks 1-on-1 with Gary Kubiak about Peyton Manning returning to the Broncos in 2015.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Kubiak-Manning-excited-to-get-to-work/051b2255-ccb3-4f17-9faa-346167d6d405

CoachChaz
03-05-2015, 02:18 PM
Additionally, this is a very deep RB class. They could find a quality starter in the 2nd or 3rd round. There are probably 10 rb's in this class that have 1st or 2nd round talent.

I get that...but we already have a pair of recent 2nd round picks and a ProBowl RB on the roster. I think we'll be fine if we wait or go the UDFA route at that position again.

Again...al predicated on what happens in FA. I wouldnt mind a Langford or Tre Williams type to replace Hillman if we can fill a few positions in FA.

BroncoWave
03-05-2015, 03:44 PM
Those greedy bass turds

Yeah, damn those declining 39 year olds for taking so much money!

BroncoWave
03-05-2015, 03:45 PM
I get that...but we already have a pair of recent 2nd round picks and a ProBowl RB on the roster. I think we'll be fine if we wait or go the UDFA route at that position again.

Again...al predicated on what happens in FA. I wouldnt mind a Langford or Tre Williams type to replace Hillman if we can fill a few positions in FA.

He was talking about Philly I think.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-05-2015, 03:51 PM

Yes, I was talking about Philly being able to find another RB in this year's draft.

DenBronx
03-05-2015, 03:56 PM

Some Eagles fans are going nuts! Lol

This was me when Josh traded Cutler.

EAGLES TRADE MCCOY!? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !...: http://youtu.be/2f7z_zxQ4c8

Dapper Dan
03-05-2015, 04:15 PM
Yeah, damn those declining 39 year olds for taking so much money!

The last 2 years have been better than any 2 years in his career. Last year was better than many of his seasons. But yeah, he's going way downhill. Im sure most teams wish their quarterback was this bad.

CoachChaz
03-05-2015, 04:26 PM

Yes, I was talking about Philly being able to find another RB in this year's draft.

My bad. Yes...you're right

BroncoWave
03-05-2015, 04:30 PM
The last 2 years have been better than any 2 years in his career. Last year was better than many of his seasons. But yeah, he's going way downhill. Im sure most teams wish their quarterback was this bad.

I wasn't aware that declining = bad.

Dapper Dan
03-05-2015, 04:43 PM
I wasn't aware that declining = bad.

Okay

BroncoWave
03-05-2015, 04:48 PM
Okay

Cool, glad we have that all straight now. :D

Northman
03-05-2015, 06:23 PM

Thats if they sign a guy like Iupati. So far they have not done anything like that. You are going off assumptions, im going off what has actually happened.

Northman
03-05-2015, 06:24 PM
True, as far as accomplishments McCoy has more. However, monetarily it favors the Eagles because they're no longer on the hook for McCoy's salary. Ultimately, it will take time figure out if the deal favor one team or the other.

Agreed, but for now the face value does not favor them and that is what im getting at. We can play the what if game all day but so far the value just isnt there.

BroncoWave
03-05-2015, 06:24 PM
Thats if they sign a guy like Iupati. So far they have not done anything like that. You are going off assumptions, im going off what has actually happened.

What has actually happened is that they freed up 10 million dollars in cap room. But if you want to actually wait until they start signing people to admit you were wrong, that is your right. :D

Northman
03-05-2015, 06:26 PM
What has actually happened is that they freed up 10 million dollars in cap room. But if you want to actually wait until they start signing people to admit you were wrong, that is your right. :D

IF im wrong. So far im correct so just concede now. :)

BroncoWave
03-05-2015, 06:29 PM
IF im wrong. So far im correct so just concede now. :)

Well you still aren't correct (IMO) because I think McCoy for Alonso straght up s a fair trade as it is. The 10 mil in cap room is just gravy. :D

GEM
03-05-2015, 06:38 PM

Well to be fair, they can't. FA doesn't really start until the 10th.

Northman
03-05-2015, 06:42 PM
Well to be fair, they can't. FA doesn't really start until the 10th.

To be fair, i was talking about the trade straight up. Not about hypotheticals before or after the 10th. :D

BroncoWave
03-05-2015, 06:52 PM
To be fair, i was talking about the trade straight up. Not about hypotheticals before or after the 10th. :D

So the fact that they picked up 10 million extra dollars to spend this offseason is completey irrelevant in your eyes? That extra cap room is not a hypothetical.

Northman
03-05-2015, 06:54 PM
So the fact that they picked up 10 million extra dollars to spend this offseason is completey irrelevant in your eyes? That extra cap room is not a hypothetical.

It is because they could very easily use that money on average to poor players. Like i said, until i see some impact players added with that money the trade as it stands by itself favors Buffalo.

BroncoWave
03-05-2015, 06:57 PM
North, I think you are just being stubborn at this point. You bashed the trade before you realized the cap implications, and now you are just sticking to your guns. They are a quality enough organization to attract good players, and they now have the cash to do it. I guess if you want to cling to the hope that they will just sign a bunch of shitty players with that money and you will still be right you can do that, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

BroncoWave
03-05-2015, 07:23 PM
So back on topic, I have a question for the people who are convinced that Peyton is not in decline at all and are convinced that he is every bit as great as he has always been. Why did Denver just dock his pay by almost 25% (and reportedly went after even more)? If they thought he was still the Peyton of two years ago do you think there is the slightest chance they'd dare to ask him to take less? I don't.

Simple Jaded
03-05-2015, 08:32 PM
So back on topic, I have a question for the people who are convinced that Peyton is not in decline at all and are convinced that he is every bit as great as he has always been. Why did Denver just dock his pay by almost 25% (and reportedly went after even more)? If they thought he was still the Peyton of two years ago do you think there is the slightest chance they'd dare to ask him to take less? I don't.

Sandy Clough is pretty convinced that the Broncos would have cut Manning if he refused to move on his contract.

Simple Jaded
03-05-2015, 09:45 PM
It's not just the extra cap space and the LB, it's the tangible assets they left on the table when they made the trade, a draft pick for example.

Ravage!!!
03-06-2015, 11:06 AM

in a sense its hypothetical. Money sitting there, or not being used correctly, doesn't make you a good team.

Ravage!!!
03-06-2015, 11:07 AM
The 4 million is nice, but what does 4 million get us?

BroncoWave
03-06-2015, 11:08 AM
in a sense its hypothetical. Money sitting there, or not being used correctly, doesn't make you a good team.

No, but picking up that extra 10 million makes it a better trade than had both players had the same salary.

BroncoWave
03-06-2015, 11:09 AM
The 4 million is nice, but what does 4 million get us?

I'd say that's enough to bring in one more good veteran.

Ravage!!!
03-06-2015, 11:24 AM
No, but picking up that extra 10 million makes it a better trade than had both players had the same salary.

But some positions make more than others. So that can be said for any trade that I make if I'm purely looking to save money. Looking a great player and saving money does nothing if that money isn't spent well. It's just savings for the owners pockets.

Perhaps it could bring in a solid veteran. I get that Manning isnt' going to play for nothing, and giving up 4 million is a pretty hefty bag of change out of anyone's pocket. But I dn 't think 4 million does us much good in the long run, really.

But i'm not saying Manning should have given up more. Even Brady's "salary cut"... gave him 3 million MORE in guaranteed money. So Brady didn't give up squat.

BroncoWave
03-06-2015, 11:39 AM
Long run, probably not, but given that we are in win now mode with Manning, it could make a big difference this season.