PDA

View Full Version : Broncos officially tag Demaryius Thomas

VonDoom
03-02-2015, 02:31 PM
As expected, the Broncos tagged DT today. See various tweets below:

Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 18m18 minutes ago

The #Broncos have officially placed their non-exclusive franchise tag on WR Demaryius Thomas.

Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 17m17 minutes ago

“This is another step in our efforts to extend Demaryius’ contract and ensure he remains a Denver Bronco.” - @johnelway

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 17m17 minutes ago

We'll hear a lot about teams trying to get a long term deal done w/ tagged player. Last year, only Jimmy Graham got done. In '13 only Clady.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 13m13 minutes ago

Broncos announce non-exclusive franchise tag on Demaryius Thomas.He'll make $12.82 million in 2015.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 9m9 minutes ago

Broncos put franchise tag on Demaryius Thomas. He's now NFL's 3rd-highest-paid WR. Details here:: http://dpo.st/1zSQ6Qc via @mikeklis

MOtorboat
03-02-2015, 02:34 PM
Just do whatever it takes to keep the man, John.

Any indication from Thomas whether or not he's going to sign the tender?

Denver Native (Carol)
03-02-2015, 02:39 PM
The Broncos officially designated Demaryius Thomas with their franchise tag on Monday, a bargaining tactic that will pay the receiver $12.82 million for the 2015 season.

Thomas made $3.275 million last season and the jump to $12.82 million makes him the league's third-highest-paid receiver, behind Detroit's Calvin Johnson ($16.21 million) and a tick below the New York Jets' Percy Harvin ($12.84 million).

Thomas' $12.82 million franchise tag salary increased slightly from estimates after the league set its 2015 salary cap payroll Monday at $143.28 million.

"This is another step in our efforts to extend Demaryius' contract and ensure he remains a Denver Bronco," Broncos general manager John Elway said in a team statement. "We will continue working toward a long-term agreement with Demaryius, who is a very important part of our team."

AND

Thomas, 27, is expected to use what little bargaining leverage he has by not signing the franchise tender until July 15. That would allow him to miss the team's mandatory minicamp in June, while also passing on the team's conditioning and organized team activity workouts.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27625033/broncos-put-franchise-tag-demaryius-thomas

DenBronx
03-02-2015, 02:40 PM
Kind of upset we just couldn't get a LTC done.

Buff
03-02-2015, 02:47 PM
Kind of upset we just couldn't get a LTC done.

I think it's likely that he'll sign a long-term deal once the rest of the WRs are signed and the market is set. Elway seems adamant about letting other teams set the market rate.

VonDoom
03-02-2015, 03:06 PM
I think it's likely that he'll sign a long-term deal once the rest of the WRs are signed and the market is set. Elway seems adamant about letting other teams set the market rate.

I still think something will happen, like Clady a couple of years ago. But for now, it is what it is. He might miss mini camp, but at least he won't threaten to jump ship like Justin Houston.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-02-2015, 03:11 PM
I am hoping something gets done so he does not miss mini camp - I think all players need as much time as they can get with the new coaching staff.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-02-2015, 03:59 PM
Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 2h

The Broncos still hope to get Demaryius Thomas signed long-term, as w/ past franchise players: http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-still-hope-to-get-Demaryius-Thomas-signed-long-term/ed410653-8c7d-4ee3-9844-d9ba7ed82f4a …

jlarsiii
03-02-2015, 04:00 PM

Agreed. I would only add that it would make sense for the player to also wait until the salary cap is set. No one would want to sign a LTC only to see the "official" cap jump by several million thereby possibly leaving money on the table.

DenBronx
03-02-2015, 04:19 PM
I can think of no other Bronco that would be more deserving. Hope they get this man a new deal. Definitely worthy of top 3 WR money.