PDA

View Full Version : Klis: Broncos have nine positions of need

Denver Native (Carol)
02-22-2015, 12:22 PM
INDIANAPOLIS — While roaming through the hallways of the NFL scouting combine, hiding behind large plants in the ornate lobbies, I have discovered the Broncos will have to fill six spots on offense.

The positions: left guard, center, right tackle, tight end, slot receiver and fullback.

Whispering while waiting in line at the many hotel Starbucks kiosks here, I also was able to determine the Broncos will have three vacancies on defense.

The positions: two defensive linemen and a safety.

rest - interesting in regards to different players/positions
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27575485/broncos-have-nine-positions-need

Jsteve01
02-22-2015, 12:54 PM
null

Classic Klis. Wade in his opening presser said this defense would play mostly gaps and you'd rarely see defensive linemen square with the o line. So we probably won't see traditional 5 techniques given Wolfe and Jacksons abilities to penetrate

Jsteve01
02-22-2015, 12:56 PM
"You won't see a square stance from a defensive lineman, so to speak, where he's reading the play," defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said. "This is an attack defense. I think people will be excited about this defense and how aggressive they play."

TXBRONC
02-22-2015, 04:08 PM
Classic Klis. Wade in his opening presser said this defense would play mostly gaps and you'd rarely see defensive linemen square with the o line. So we probably won't see traditional 5 techniques given Wolfe and Jacksons abilities to penetrate

I think there is a very good chance that a move to a 3-4 is going to benefit Wolfe and Jackson immensely.

Ziggy
02-22-2015, 04:53 PM
I think D line is one of our strengths right now.

NT- Sly
DE- Wolfe
DE- Malik

I also think that we're set at the slot. I expect to see Sanders move to the slot on 3 wide sets, with Latimer on the outside. Either that or Latimer plays the slot on 3 wide sets. We do need some depth.

Buff
02-22-2015, 08:35 PM

I trust Klis' reporting based on inside information (probably a member of our scouting dept) over what Wade Phillips publicly said in his first week on the job.

NT- Sly
DE- Wolfe
DE- Malik

I also think that we're set at the slot. I expect to see Sanders move to the slot on 3 wide sets, with Latimer on the outside. Either that or Latimer plays the slot on 3 wide sets. We do need some depth.

D-line won't be a strength once Knighton walks out the door. It's not a bare cupboard, but I don't view it as a strength. Nor do I expect to see Sanders play in the slot with any regularity.

Timmy!
02-22-2015, 09:22 PM
I trust Klis' reporting based on inside information (probably a member of our scouting dept) over what Wade Phillips publicly said in his first week on the job.

D-line won't be a strength once Knighton walks out the door. It's not a bare cupboard, but I don't view it as a strength. Nor do I expect to see Sanders play in the slot with any regularity.

Let's see if Latimer is actually anything before we start pencilling him in at #2. Sanders was a beast last year.

TXBRONC
02-23-2015, 04:20 PM

I don't think the line will be hot garbage without him. I prefer to have him here but still think the line will be good.

Jsteve01
02-23-2015, 04:51 PM

NT- Sly
DE- Wolfe
DE- Malik

D-line won't be a strength once Knighton walks out the door. It's not a bare cupboard, but I don't view it as a strength. Nor do I expect to see Sanders play in the slot with any regularity.. Buff you do understand that the system we run will be dictated by our defensive coordinator and that his style of play means we won't run a traditional 3-4. Traditional 5 techs won't penetrate the way wade's will

Slick
02-23-2015, 05:08 PM
Of all of Denver's free agents Knighton the highest on my personal wish list.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-23-2015, 06:08 PM
. Buff you do understand that the system we run will be dictated by our defensive coordinator and that his style of play means we won't run a traditional 3-4. Traditional 5 techs won't penetrate the way wade's will

http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/1/27/7922019/the-wade-phillips-3-4

RebelRocker
02-23-2015, 06:21 PM
I know it may not be the popular opinion, but the Broncos may be better off letting DT go after he plays on the franchise tag next season. With Sanders being a Pro Bowl caliber receiver and Latimer being a high draft pick with upside, it may be better for the team to let those two guys be our starters in the future with DT walking. The two reasons I feel that way are as follows.

1. Money- Even if those guys both turned into pro bowl WR's, they'll never be as costly to keep around as DT would be. We also have to keep in mind, we're going to have to give a lot of money to guys like Von by next off-season and potentially a good chunk of money to guys like Wolfe, Jackson, Trevathan and Marshall to keep them around. Should we really be investing that much into a receiver on a team that is in transition and is known for running mostly two WR sets?

2. Production- DT's a great talent and has done great things under Manning, but what was he before Manning came to down? People tend to forget that his first two years in the league were forgettable. Until the Steelers playoff game, there's not many times you can think of DT making a big play until we got Manning. Manning has a history of turning average receivers into good players, so I would caution the Broncos to give DT, who is a great talent, top dollar just because of the numbers he put up with a Hall of Fame QB.

TXBRONC
02-23-2015, 06:27 PM
I know it may not be the popular opinion, but the Broncos may be better off letting DT go after he plays on the franchise tag next season. With Sanders being a Pro Bowl caliber receiver and Latimer being a high draft pick with upside, it may be better for the team to let those two guys be our starters in the future with DT walking. The two reasons I feel that way are as follows.

1. Money- Even if those guys both turned into pro bowl WR's, they'll never be as costly to keep around as DT would be. We also have to keep in mind, we're going to have to give a lot of money to guys like Von by next off-season and potentially a good chunk of money to guys like Wolfe, Jackson, Trevathan and Marshall to keep them around. Should we really be investing that much into a receiver on a team that is in transition and is known for running mostly two WR sets?

2. Production- DT's a great talent and has done great things under Manning, but what was he before Manning came to down? People tend to forget that his first two years in the league were forgettable. Until the Steelers playoff game, there's not many times you can think of DT making a big play until we got Manning. Manning has a history of turning average receivers into good players, so I would caution the Broncos to give DT, who is a great talent, top dollar just because of the numbers he put up with a Hall of Fame QB.

The last time Denver franchised a player they used the time workout a long term deal. I can see the same thing happening with Thomas. Sanders did a fantastic job last season as the second option but that doesn't make him first option receiving threat. When Thomas came back from his Achilles injury ended up leading the League the last half of the season in yards or ypc or maybe both. That was with having Tebow throwing him the ball. Also his first game back from injury which was Miami game he scored a touchdown late in the game.

Simple Jaded
02-23-2015, 06:33 PM

This post suggests Sanders came by his status on his own but DT is a product of Manning, am I right?

Btw, it is rarely better for a team to let an asset like DT walk for nothing, letting him walk is not smart. Get something for him.

TXBRONC
02-23-2015, 06:50 PM
This post suggests Sanders came by his status on his own but DT is a product of Manning, am I right?

Btw, it is rarely better for a team to let an asset like DT walk for nothing, letting him walk is not smart. Get something for him.

If Thomas' number are just a product of being Manning's receiver what does that say about Sanders? He didn't put up numbers like this past season until he got to Denver.

Simple Jaded
02-23-2015, 07:53 PM
If Thomas' number are just a product of being Manning's receiver what does that say about Sanders? He didn't put up numbers like this past season until he got to Denver.

Exactly what I'm thinking, Sanders went from one HoFer to another, DT went from the single worst passer the league has seen in decades to a HoFer. I say keep them both.

silkamilkamonico
02-23-2015, 10:02 PM
Listening to the radio today, sounds like the Denver front office doesn't think much of Knighton's competitive ability and will not try hard at all to retain him. Also, Vic was talking about how he spoke with some of the guys around SuperBowl weekend (said he spoke with Harris and Ward) who wanted nothing to do with New England and didn't feel they had any chance of winning up there. If that's actually their state of mind, I wouldn't mind shipping those bums out the door and any of the other soft players on this team. Bunch of soft pussies we have all over the field the last few years when things didn't start going their way.

RebelRocker
02-23-2015, 10:10 PM

Sanders showed plenty of ability and had decent(not great) production in Pittsburgh. We didn't see that kind of production from DT in his first two years. And who says we shouldn't get anything for him? I meant letting him go as in a possible trade, as well.

Slick
02-23-2015, 10:39 PM
Listening to the radio today, sounds like the Denver front office doesn't think much of Knighton's competitive ability and will not try hard at all to retain him. Also, Vic was talking about how he spoke with some of the guys around SuperBowl weekend (said he spoke with Harris and Ward) who wanted nothing to do with New England and didn't feel they had any chance of winning up there. If that's actually their state of mind, I wouldn't mind shipping those bums out the door and any of the other soft players on this team. Bunch of soft pussies we have all over the field the last few years when things didn't start going their way.

Vic said Harris and Ward wanted nothing to do with the Patriots or Vic talked to Harris and Ward and they said other guys wanted nothing to do with the Patriots?

I heard DT say there were guys who didn't think they had a chance in Foxboro but he never named names.

TXBRONC
02-23-2015, 10:47 PM
Sanders showed plenty of ability and had decent(not great) production in Pittsburgh. We didn't see that kind of production from DT in his first two years. And who says we shouldn't get anything for him? I meant letting him go as in a possible trade, as well.

As I mentioned previously the second half of 2011 season we did see that kind of production.

7DnBrnc53
02-23-2015, 10:57 PM

That breaks my heart. I don't really hold the Patsies in high esteem. They aren't anywhere near talented as the Broncos are.

Simple Jaded
02-24-2015, 10:45 PM

To be fair Sanders played with Rapistberger (who is also a HoFer) and put up similar numbers to DT, who had to suffer thru Orton and Tebow, I'd cut him some slack. Sanders didn't earn a starting job til Wallace left.