PDA

View Full Version : Monte Ball at Fullback?

broncofaninfla
02-22-2015, 09:57 AM
Given the emergence of CJ and Thompson and Hillman being a good option for the new zone blocking scheme, Would Monte Ball be a good fit at FB?

Jsteve01
02-22-2015, 10:33 AM
I've posted this but ball averaged almost 6 ypc the last 6 games of 2013. Cj was the beneficiary of the transition to two Te sets and an extra lineman. I'm not saying cj shouldn't start but ball's rookie season showed his potential and this system fits his skill set. Juwan Thompson makes much more sense at fb with his size and blocking ability

UnderArmour
02-22-2015, 10:45 AM
Monte Ball could do it, but it would be stupid of us to ask him to bulk up when he's still a talented RB that lost a season due to nagging injuries and terrible offensive line play. Losing Beadles to FA and moving Franklin to guard hurt us a lot last year and Elway will need to find a way to fill those holes. Fullbacks are a dime a dozen in this league and we'll probably look outside the roster to fill the need. I am really excited about having CJ, Hillman, and Monte Ball at 100% next year.

BroncoWave
02-22-2015, 10:51 AM
Can't say I like the idea of moving a guy we just invested a second round pick in at RB to FB. As others have said, FBs are a dime a dozen and Juwan seems more suited for the role anyway. I would like to see how Ball does in Kubes' system before just giving up on him as a RB.

Valar Morghulis
02-22-2015, 10:52 AM
Juwan at FB - Montee as the number 2 runner.

If we dont trade Ball to someone in the off season, i see Money Ball having a big bounce back year. I think CJ/Ball as a 1-2 punch will be lethal with Kubes' ZBS scheme

I honestly think that if Manning comes back - teams will need to respect our run game it will open up our offence to be better that 2013.

SoCalImport
02-22-2015, 10:52 AM
If we're talking FB..like gets handed the ball almost never? nah. waist of a talented runner. Not to mention that just because he can block doesn't mean he can BLOCK like FB is expected to.
Gimmi a guy about 250-260 lbs that can stop a charging LBr in his tracks and can catch.

Rick
02-22-2015, 11:16 AM
If I am to give up on a RB I just invested a high pick for I think it should be after he has proven he can't do the job I drafted him for and it will take more than 1 poor season for me to make that determination on Ball.

Jsteve01
02-22-2015, 11:32 AM
Honestly Juwan Thompson in the Howard Griffith role sounds amazing. Big athletic blocker who can catch

Shazam!
02-22-2015, 11:47 AM
Honestly Juwan Thompson in the Howard Griffith role sounds amazing. Big athletic blocker who can catch

That was just reported by BR.

NightTerror218
02-22-2015, 12:07 PM
Thompson will be 4th string. We only had him and Anderson healthy he still barely got carries. He then lost the carries once Hillman came back. He will still play ST, maybe a FB if he can get the size. We know he can block.

Simple Jaded
02-22-2015, 02:42 PM
No.

TXBRONC
02-22-2015, 03:41 PM
I'm not fond of the idea of moving Ball to fullback. As BTB stated he was a second round pick just a couple of seasons ago. Besides that he's 215 lbs he's not nearly big enough to be a fullback. To tell you the truth guys I'm not sure I like the idea of any Thompson moving to fullback. He's maybe the one that could best make the transition but if Denver can find a true fullback that would be my preference.

Hawgdriver
02-22-2015, 05:20 PM
Given the emergence of CJ and Thompson and Hillman being a good option for the new zone blocking scheme, Would Monte Ball be a good fit at FB?

As long as FB sells cell phone accessories in the mall, sure.

j/k

dogfish
02-22-2015, 06:00 PM
nope. . . i don't want juwan moved there either-- he may be just as good as montee, quite frankly, and i think they're both better than hillman unless he shows more development this year. . . if he does, we're fully golden at tailback, no need to mess with it-- if he doesn't, maybe we replace him with a speed back who fits the scheme better next year. . . i'm guessing we'll sign a fullback in free agency if they do want a true one. . . i think GK's gonna be pretty pleased with what we have at RB, though. . . pretty solid group of guys that will work well in his ZBS. . . they just need to get the line patched up-- and probably find another TE who can block. . . it does take some time for the line to build cohesion working those combo blocks, but there's no reason our run game shouldn't be a strength by the end of the year. . .

TXBRONC
02-22-2015, 07:05 PM
As long as FB sells cell phone accessories in the mall, sure.

j/k

:tsk:

Hawgdriver
02-23-2015, 11:19 AM
:tsk:

I haven't given up on Ball, that was just juvenile knee-jerk popcorn based on a disappointing sophomore showing. I haven't given up on Hillman either.

With an improved line, I'd like to see him get another chance. Exciting to have a HC that knows how to run the ball--we may see things we never imagined from these dudes.

Hawgdriver
02-23-2015, 11:21 AM
i think GK's gonna be pretty pleased with what we have at RB, though.

Fa show.

TXBRONC
02-23-2015, 01:10 PM
I haven't given up on Ball, that was just juvenile knee-jerk popcorn based on a disappointing sophomore showing. I haven't given up on Hillman either.

With an improved line, I'd like to see him get another chance. Exciting to have a HC that knows how to run the ball--we may see things we never imagined from these dudes.

I was just kidding around Hawg. Since Kubiak likes a strong running game I would guess like you and Dog he's going to like the corps he has to work with.

silkamilkamonico
02-23-2015, 10:06 PM
lol

Montee Ball is our worst RB and it isn't even close.

underrated29
02-23-2015, 11:06 PM
lol

This couldn't be more incorrect.

TXBRONC
02-23-2015, 11:15 PM
lol

I don't think so.

DenBronx
02-24-2015, 12:26 AM
Not really thinking a FB is as important as the TE position right now.

TXBRONC
02-24-2015, 09:42 AM
Not really thinking a FB is as important as the TE position right now.

In the grand scheme of things a fullback probably isn't as important as a tight end but it is important enough for them to start looking.