PDA

View Full Version : Broncos tag DT?

DenBronx
02-22-2015, 02:42 AM
He just posted on his facebook "blessed".

This is a rumor but everyone is saying he got the tag at 13 mill. I am glad he is going to be here another year but I was preferring a long term deal for him. Maybe he did get a LTC and not the tag. I don't know...

Can anyone confirm this?

spikerman
02-22-2015, 06:43 AM
Not sure, but even if he's tagged they can continue to negotiate a long term deal.

TXBRONC
02-22-2015, 09:21 AM
He just posted on his facebook "blessed".

This is a rumor but everyone is saying he got the tag at 13 mill. I am glad he is going to be here another year but I was preferring a long term deal for him. Maybe he did get a LTC and not the tag. I don't know...

Can anyone confirm this?

Clady was tagged and then Denver gave him longer deal.

broncofaninfla
02-22-2015, 09:41 AM
DT regularly posts "blessed".

Valar Morghulis
02-22-2015, 11:46 AM
DT regularly posts "blessed".

yeah - i had to unfollow him when i was on FB because i found it so repetitive - that and "thank the lord for this day", i dont think i ever read anything of substance (although i pious person would argue that "blessed" is substantive in itself)

tripp
02-22-2015, 02:58 PM
I don't think it's too far fetched to think maybe he will be gone after next year.

DenBronx
02-22-2015, 02:59 PM
I hope they didnt tag him. Tag Julius instead and make his sulky ass stay here another year. Tag for TEs is way cheaper.

MOtorboat
02-22-2015, 03:01 PM
It's Sunday. He probably went to church.

DenBronx
02-22-2015, 04:09 PM
We would have heard something by now.

gregbroncs
02-22-2015, 11:15 PM
I hope they didnt tag him. Tag Julius instead and make his sulky ass stay here another year. Tag for TEs is way cheaper.So you would rather tag a guy who is sulky than keep a guy that should be our top priority? The price of the tag is irrelevant to me. Just keep the better player.

Simple Jaded
02-23-2015, 01:08 AM
So you would rather tag a guy who is sulky than keep a guy that should be our top priority? The price of the tag is irrelevant to me. Just keep the better player.

I doubt he meant that considering his OP said he was hoping for a long term deal for DT, which would leave the tag open for JT. Best possible scenario for Denver, imo.

TXBRONC
02-24-2015, 09:44 AM
I don't think it's too far fetched to think maybe he will be gone after next year.

Anything is possible but it seems very unlikely.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-01-2015, 07:58 PM
Three Mississippi, two Mississippi, one Mississippi ... ready or not, Demaryius Thomas, here come the Broncos.

Regardless of how overpowering Thomas may be on the field, the Broncos will catch him in the game of franchise tag Monday and he will be it in a bargaining move that all but ensures the team of retaining their star wide receiver for the 2015 season.

Specifically, the Broncos are expected to use the "nonexclusive" tag on Thomas. The team could have used the "exclusive" tag that would have prohibited the player from negotiated with other teams.

The "nonexclusive" tags makes it possible for other teams to negotiate with Thomas, although the Broncos would have the right to match any offer. Moreover, should the Broncos decide against matching an offer, the team signing away Thomas would have to compensate Denver with two first-round draft picks.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27621122/broncos-expected-use-franchise-tag-demaryius-thomas

Cugel
03-01-2015, 08:13 PM

#1 - It was expected all along that the Broncos would franchise DT and then try and negotiate a long term deal. The amount he would earn this year in any deal won't be less than the tag amount anyway, so there's no downside risk to doing this.

#2 - If Manning retires at the end of this year the Broncos will be looking to rebuild for the long-term and will be trying to dump some of the high priced talent they have got on the current roster and go with younger draft picks. Cody Latimer for instance could replace DT as the #1 WR down the line and would garner a lot less $.

Obviously, with Brock Osweiler or some other FA scrub as your starting QB they are not going to be competing for a championship anytime soon, so it's rebuilding time anyway. If that's the case it is hard to justify paying some of the high priced guys like DeMarcus Ware, T.J. Ward, possibly Aquib Talib (who might be replaced for a lot less money by Bradley Roby). They might even decide to part ways with Von Miller who will probably command something like $16 million a year in 2016.

Without Peyton the Broncos fall into the category of teams like the Buffalo Bills. Some really nice talent on both sides of the ball, but they just "lost out" in their efforts to sign FA QB Josh McCown. I don't know how you lose out by NOT signing Josh McCown, but that's the headline. They are supposed now to be considering re-tread Matt Cassel. So, their QB might be E.J. Manuel or Matt Cassel, in a division that has Tom Brady and the Super Bowl champions. :rolleyes:

That's the kind of future Denver is going to face after Peyton rides off into the sunset.

Cugel
03-01-2015, 08:18 PM
The "nonexclusive" tags makes it possible for other teams to negotiate with Thomas, although the Broncos would have the right to match any offer. Moreover, should the Broncos decide against matching an offer, the team signing away Thomas would have to compensate Denver with two first-round draft picks.

The NFL rules make it effectively a monopoly in restraint of trade in violation of out Anti-Trust laws, but that's how their game is played. So technically, a team could offer 2 first round picks for the rights to D.T. and then sign him to a huge "poison pill" contract that the Broncos couldn't match.

They could do that but no team is that stupid. Nobody is going to offer 2 #1 picks for D.T. When was the last time you saw a team trade 2 #1 picks for a non-QB? (Yes it can happen for a DRAFT pick who turns out to be a position player, but teams over-value their draft picks).

Simple Jaded
03-01-2015, 08:34 PM
I don't mean to sound like a dick but the notion that the Broncos will clean house because Manning retires is stupid, stating it as fact is even more stupid.

"Well that was fun while it lasted, but it's time to dump all this talent and start over"

Cugel
03-01-2015, 09:30 PM
I don't mean to sound like a dick but the notion that the Broncos will clean house because Manning retires is stupid, stating it as fact is even more stupid.

"Well that was fun while it lasted, but it's time to dump all this talent and start over"

HIGH PRICED talent. Remember that the cap is currently designed to be unsustainable. Really it's starting to blow up this season. The team has what, 15 UFAs this season? and many of them won't be back like Rahim Moore, Pot-Roast, Julius Thomas, Orlando Franklin among others. Next season Von Miller's rookie contract expires and he'll probably be the highest priced FA on the market at around $15-16 million a season.

The idea was to get every possible FA in here and pay them now and win with Peyton.

After he retires the team faces a ton of tough decisions about how to re-build. But it is blindingly obvious to everybody who hasn't got hay in his ears that they are going to rebuild a LOT -- with younger and cheaper players, mostly acquired through the draft.

Guys like Bradley Roby will replace higher priced veterans like Aquib Talib. And they will hope that WR Cody Latimer (whom they are very high on) develops into a true #1 WR so they could part ways with D.T. and his huge contract.

Are they going to keep DeMarcus Ware with his $10 million guaranteed money in 2016? At his age? You can go through the Broncos roster and see high-priced FA after FA who will be entering their 30's and with large pay increases built into their contracts.

It's not that they are deliberately trying to scrub talent, it's that they can't compete and pay all these high priced FAs the later years of their contracts - which you would understand if you knew anything about how the salary cap works, which apparently you don't.

Elway has said it, but it's not even necessary for him to say what is basically NFL 101: you build primarily through the draft with a sprinkling of FAs. It's too expensive to try and win with FAs. You CAN do it the Broncos way - but only for a short-time. And then you have a ton of money tied up in aging veterans with big guarantees coming to them.

The current roster was built to win now with Peyton. After he retires they're going to get rid of most of the higher priced players, just as the Patriots routinely do. They don't pay their WRs anything like franchise money.

Know what their WRs are making this season?:
Danny Amendola - $4 million
Julian Edelman - $4.5 million/ year (4 years, $17 million, $8 million guaranteed)
Brandon LaFell - $2.2 million

Not one of them will get as much as Emmanuel Sanders 2015 $5.8 million (including pro-rated bonuses), and not remotely the kind of franchise tag money D.T. will be getting.

And the rest of their roster reflects that kind of parsimony. They have a FEW high priced players:
Vince Wilfork, $8 million (including per game roster bonuses)
Darrell Revis - FA they will have to pay around $15 million to keep
Jerrod Meyo - $7.5 million
Rob Gronkowski (8 years $55 million signed in 2012)
and of course Tom Brady's five year $60 million fully guaranteed contract (2012), which he re-negotiated this off-season to convert some money into current bonuses for salary cap reasons - not a pay cut).

Take a look at the Patriots contracts (http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/den/broncos) and then compare that with the Broncos and you will see a big difference. Their salary cap situation is sustainable long term. Denver's isn't. They identify a few key players they want to keep and pay them, like Gronkowski, Wilfork & Brady, and if some other guy like Wes Welker catches 100 passes and wants to get paid, then good-bye! :wave:

And they hoisted the Lombardi Trophy this year. :coffee:

Simple Jaded
03-01-2015, 10:11 PM
You win, not reading.

Broncos should start drafting CB's to replace Roby and Harris.

The Etcha Sketch school of team building, scribble around for a few minutes then start over.

Simple Jaded
03-01-2015, 11:23 PM
Btw, Von Miller will get tagged next year unless something out of the ordinary happens, in either case he won't see $16-17 MM.

TXBRONC
03-02-2015, 01:22 PM

It's very doubtful that they would send D. Thomas packing after Manning retires. It is not accurate that Denver's cap situation is bad. In fact they are very good shape from what I've heard.

OrangeHoof
03-02-2015, 01:24 PM
These are rules negotiated with the players union. The franchise tag, etc, are part of collective bargaining.

silkamilkamonico
03-02-2015, 02:24 PM
#2 - If Manning retires at the end of this year the Broncos will be looking to rebuild for the long-term and will be trying to dump some of the high priced talent they have got on the current roster and go with younger draft picks. Cody Latimer for instance could replace DT as the #1 WR down the line and would garner a lot less $.

Does anyone else honestly think Denver is going to compete for the SuperBowl next year? I know they will be competitive for division and make the playoffs, but does anyone honestly think they have a chance at a SuperBowl? I think anyone who believes so is wishful thinking. 1 more season and then rebuild. IMHO Denver would be better off starting to rebuild now.

NightTerror218
03-02-2015, 02:28 PM
Does anyone else honestly think Denver is going to compete for the SuperBowl next year? I know they will be competitive for division and make the playoffs, but does anyone honestly think they have a chance at a SuperBowl? I think anyone who believes so is wishful thinking. 1 more season and then rebuild. IMHO Denver would be better off starting to rebuild now.

They will not need to rebuild. What are you smoking. If replace manning you mean rebuild then yes. But they have a lot of young talent. They only need tweaks not a rebuild. We are not the jets, jags, raiders. Those are teams rebuilding.

DenBronx
03-02-2015, 02:31 PM
You win, not reading.

The Etcha Sketch school of team building, scribble around for a few minutes then start over.

Harris just got a new deal and will be around for awhile.

silkamilkamonico
03-02-2015, 02:32 PM
They will not need to rebuild. What are you smoking. If replace manning you mean rebuild then yes. But they have a lot of young talent. They only need tweaks not a rebuild. We are not the jets, jags, raiders. Those are teams rebuilding.

If you noticed I posted a quote from someone else, you would have seen I was responding to his comment about rebuilding. :rolleyes:

Also, you need a QB to compete. If you aren't competing, you're rebuilding. Either or. Brock Osweiler? LMAO

underrated29
03-02-2015, 03:16 PM

Hell ya I think we will. We are one year removed from the superbowl. We sent the most players of any team to the probowl and our team is the most talented from top to bottom out there. If we cannot compete for a SB this year, then we likely never ever will again. We will be the san diego chargers...Our team is freakin loaded!

Valar Morghulis
03-02-2015, 03:44 PM
Hell ya I think we will. We are one year removed from the superbowl. We sent the most players of any team to the probowl and our team is the most talented from top to bottom out there. If we cannot compete for a SB this year, then we likely never ever will again. We will be the san diego chargers...Our team is freakin loaded!

I am with you on this one UR.

Cugel
03-02-2015, 04:18 PM
You win, not reading.

You do know there are some letters in the alphabet between A and Z, right? No? Okay. Got it. :coffee:

Cugel
03-02-2015, 04:26 PM

Rebuild for what? The Brian Griese era part II?

According to Vegas odds-makers the Broncos have about a 1 in 12 chance of winning the SB. Know what teams they give essentially no chance to? Bucs and Titans 200-1, Jaguars 300-1, Raiders, Jets and Redskins 100-1. And there are only 32 teams so they are essentially saying that those teams have no chance whatever.

Broncos are tied for 3rd with the Packers, behind the Patriots 5-1 and Seahawks 7-1. And those favorable odds are entirely because of Peyton Manning. Without him they are probably about like the Buffalo Bills at 50-1. The Bills have some nice talent on both sides of the ball, but they have E.J. Manuel or maybe Matt Cassel at QB (now that they "lost out" in their efforts to sign that Hall of Famer Josh McCown).

I'm going to start a thread soon with all the reasons why the Broncos are probably more likely to win the SB than the Seahawks. I expect Peyton to come back and play well this season.

I'm not predicting a SB win: I got burned too badly in 2013, but they have as good a chance as anybody in the NFL other than the Patriots.

Cugel
03-02-2015, 04:44 PM
It's very doubtful that they would send D. Thomas packing after Manning retires. It is not accurate that Denver's cap situation is bad. In fact they are very good shape from what I've heard.

The question is whether they can compete with the Patriots and Seahawks. Well, go on Rotoworld and take a look at the Patriots and Seahawks contracts. You can see why those teams were in the SB last year. And it's not because they are paying a WR $14+ million a year, and their #2 WR $5.5 million.

Michael Bennett - (2014 contract) total: $8 million in 2015 including pro-rated signing bonus.
Cam Chancellor - $4.5 million, plus pro-rated $1.5M signing bonus = $6 million.
Marshawn Lynch - $7 million in 2015.
Brandon Mebane - $5 million in 2015.
Russell Okung - $4.5 million.
Richard Sherman - $11 million in 2015.
Earl Thomas ~ $9 million in 2015.
Max Unger (C) - $5.25 including bonus in 2015.
Doug Baldwin (WR) - $4.2M 2015 + up to $2 million in potential performance bonuses.

Just looking at that roster makes me sick. Every one of those guys, other than Richard Sherman would get a LOT more money elsewhere. That's salary cap discipline. It's all going to disintegrate over time, because other teams will lure away their FAs year by year and it will be tough to get equally talented replacements, but for now they are just loaded, especially on defense and their salary cap is sustainable, despite having to pay Russell Wilson $20 million this year.

Now compare that with the Broncos: D.T. expecting somewhere north of $14 million a year, Julius Thomas expected to get somewhere around $7.5M, Pot-Roast around $7 million, Rahim Moore, somewhere between $3-4M+, Orlando Franklin, something similar, etc., etc.

And the guys who will be on the roster this season, Ryan Clady ~ $11 million, T.J. Ward $6.5 million, Louis Vasquez $5 million, Aquib Talib 6 years $57 million, $26 million guaranteed, Von Miller $9.75 million, Peyton $19 million, Chris Harris 5 years $42.5 million contract signed in 2014, etc., etc.

The Broncos don't have more talent than the Seahawks, but they sure are paying their top players a lot more. And that means the Seahawks can have more depth (which they do).

TXBRONC
03-02-2015, 05:42 PM
The question is whether they can compete with the Patriots and Seahawks. Well, go on Rotoworld and take a look at the Patriots and Seahawks contracts. You can see why those teams were in the SB last year. And it's not because they are paying a WR $14+ million a year, and their #2 WR $5.5 million.

Michael Bennett - (2014 contract) total: $8 million in 2015 including pro-rated signing bonus.
Cam Chancellor - $4.5 million, plus pro-rated $1.5M signing bonus = $6 million.
Marshawn Lynch - $7 million in 2015.
Brandon Mebane - $5 million in 2015.
Russell Okung - $4.5 million.
Richard Sherman - $11 million in 2015.
Earl Thomas ~ $9 million in 2015.
Max Unger (C) - $5.25 including bonus in 2015.
Doug Baldwin (WR) - $4.2M 2015 + up to $2 million in potential performance bonuses.

Just looking at that roster makes me sick. Every one of those guys, other than Richard Sherman would get a LOT more money elsewhere. That's salary cap discipline. It's all going to disintegrate over time, because other teams will lure away their FAs year by year and it will be tough to get equally talented replacements, but for now they are just loaded, especially on defense and their salary cap is sustainable, despite having to pay Russell Wilson $20 million this year.

Now compare that with the Broncos: D.T. expecting somewhere north of $14 million a year, Julius Thomas expected to get somewhere around $7.5M, Pot-Roast around $7 million, Rahim Moore, somewhere between $3-4M+, Orlando Franklin, something similar, etc., etc.

And the guys who will be on the roster this season, Ryan Clady ~ $11 million, T.J. Ward $6.5 million, Louis Vasquez $5 million, Aquib Talib 6 years $57 million, $26 million guaranteed, Von Miller $9.75 million, Peyton $19 million, Chris Harris 5 years $42.5 million contract signed in 2014, etc., etc.

The Broncos don't have more talent than the Seahawks, but they sure are paying their top players a lot more. And that means the Seahawks can have more depth (which they do).

Are you forgetting that most of those guys are still on their rookie contracts? You also just put what Sherman will make this season which seems odd considering he just signed a new contract. I just a tweet from Mike Klis that Thomas' tag will be $12.82 million.

Rick
03-02-2015, 05:45 PM
Lynch and Wilson are fixing to get fat new contracts.

silkamilkamonico
03-02-2015, 06:17 PM

Our team is loaded until the playoffs come and we play other teams that are loaded too. I see another 12 win season or so and then a disappointing loss in the playoffs. Again. There is nothing about our team that tells me things will be different all of a sudden in the playoffs this year.

We will see though.

silkamilkamonico
03-02-2015, 06:18 PM
Rebuild for what? The Brian Griese era part II?

I don't know, rebuilding to whatever the "rebuild" model you were referring to.

underrated29
03-02-2015, 06:51 PM
Our team is loaded until the playoffs come and we play other teams that are loaded too. I see another 12 win season or so and then a disappointing loss in the playoffs. Again. There is nothing about our team that tells me things will be different all of a sudden in the playoffs this year.

We will see though.

Blame the coaches. If our team cant come out and win its the coaches. Belicheck took a less talented team to the SB. Its coaches. Mainly gase, a lot of del rio. Some Fox and then the players.

OrangeHoof
03-02-2015, 07:26 PM
Yes, there's something different this year. We no longer have a head coach with Super Bowl head coaching experience.

Rick
03-02-2015, 07:47 PM
Neither did Seattle until they went to 2 straight.

Simple Jaded
03-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Harris just got a new deal and will be around for awhile.

Yeah but that was before Manning retired, once that happens it's time to dump talent and start over.

Simple Jaded
03-02-2015, 09:01 PM
You do know there are some letters in the alphabet between A and Z, right? No? Okay. Got it. :coffee:

No, wait? Yes? I give, what's the answer?

Simple Jaded
03-02-2015, 09:05 PM
I don't know, rebuilding to whatever the "rebuild" model you were referring to.

Rebuild cause Seattle is da bomb.

TXBRONC
03-03-2015, 09:09 AM

Yes I do think they will compete for Super Bowl title.