PDA

View Full Version : Lions GM: Have to get key calls right

Denver Native (Carol)
02-20-2015, 03:53 PM
INDIANAPOLIS -- Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew wants to change what coaches can challenge in terms of instant replay, he said Friday.

Essentially, Mayhew wants to keep the replay rules the same but add a stipulation that if an official throws a flag during the game, that play and penalty can then be challenged by a coach.

His proposal also states that if no flag is thrown, that play can't be challenged for a potential penalty.

"You may have a questionable call during the game, but if it is not called a penalty then you can't challenge it," Mayhew said. "You don't want to have -- all of a sudden, a quarterback throws a 70-yard bomb for a touchdown late in a game or something and then you challenge it and say, 'Well, somebody was out there holding.' You don't want that.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12352779/martin-mayhew-detroit-lions-proposes-penalties-fall-instant-replay-stipulations

Ravage!!!
02-20-2015, 03:58 PM
I get where he's coming from, but it's a pandora's box that I'm not sure I want to open.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-21-2015, 12:35 AM
I get where he's coming from, but it's a pandora's box that I'm not sure I want to open.

No kidding. Hell, even Mike Piererra and Mike Carey can't call the same replay the same way. You start doing replays of penalties and it will be problems, IMO.

TXBRONC
02-21-2015, 08:09 AM
I have to agree sentiments thus far. What he suggests will create more problems than it will fix.

OrangeHoof
02-21-2015, 01:30 PM
I think it's a good idea only because I see too many PI/holding/illegal contact calls that fly up from nowhere and grant an automatic first down when a drive was stopped. It's like the refs handing "get out of jail free" cards on 3rd-and-20s.

Give the coach a chance to have those reviewed. That, or do away with the automatic first down part. Let the yardage determine if it would cause a first down.

TXBRONC
02-21-2015, 02:20 PM
I think it's a good idea only because I see too many PI/holding/illegal contact calls that fly up from nowhere and grant an automatic first down when a drive was stopped. It's like the refs handing "get out of jail free" cards on 3rd-and-20s.

Give the coach a chance to have those reviewed. That, or do away with the automatic first down part. Let the yardage determine if it would cause a first down.

What you're saying could be more a matter of perception rather than fact.

OrangeHoof
02-21-2015, 03:41 PM
What you're saying could be more a matter of perception rather than fact.

Well, I perceive it happens a lot and the coach ought to be able to have a review of those sort of calls that keep drives alive. I know I've heard the radio guys on MNF (James Lofton, Kurt Warner) complain about gift first down calls by the refs - and those are offensive guys.

spikerman
02-21-2015, 04:37 PM
This is blown way out of proportion. Officials almost never miss calls anyway. :coffee:

TXBRONC
02-21-2015, 10:16 PM
Well, I perceive it happens a lot and the coach ought to be able to have a review of those sort of calls that keep drives alive. I know I've heard the radio guys on MNF (James Lofton, Kurt Warner) complain about gift first down calls by the refs - and those are offensive guys.

It happens but not nearly as often this guy is alluding too.