PDA

View Full Version : MLB adds pace-of-play rules for '15

Denver Native (Carol)
02-20-2015, 12:48 PM
Major League Baseball has implemented significant pace-of-play rule changes for the 2015 season in an effort to speed up the game, it was announced Friday.

The rules include mandating that managers stay in the dugout during replay challenges, that hitters keep at least one foot in the batter's box during at-bats, a prompt return to play after TV commercial breaks and timed pitching changes.

"These changes represent a step forward in our efforts to streamline the pace of play," MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement. "The most fundamental starting point for improving the pace of the average game involves getting into and out of breaks seamlessly. In addition, the batter's box rule will help speed up a basic action of the game."

AND

Players who violate the rules will receive a warning, with "flagrant violators" subject to a series of fines up to $500, sources familiar with the changes told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark. The intention is not to impose penalties but rather to help change the habits of current players in an effort to speed up the game, sources told Stark.

rest - http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12351883/major-league-baseball-announce-pace-play-rules

chazoe60
02-20-2015, 01:33 PM
Fines up to $500. Doesn't seem like it has much in terms of teeth. I'm probably the exception but I don't hate the pace of the game now. If it speeds up I'll be happy but I'm not upset if it stays the way it is either. I hope they don't go too quick or games might be over by the time the kid and I get home from baseball practice. ;)

BTW I think the "one foot in the batters box" rule is already in place and has been for a long time, it just hasn't been enforced.

weazel
02-20-2015, 01:36 PM
lol $500 fines.

CoachChaz
02-20-2015, 01:40 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the only "foot in the batter box" rule that is in place is having to have at least one foot out to prevent a pitcher from quick pitching.

Either way, these current changes arent a big deal and could do some good things in terms of speeding up the game. Particularly timed pitching changes. At the end of the day, pitching is what delays baseball...period.

BroncoWave
02-20-2015, 02:02 PM
lol $500 fines.

I mean, if they do it for every violation and a player does it multiple times a game, those 500 dollar fines will add up pretty quickly.

MOtorboat
02-21-2015, 01:29 AM
Should have started with enforcing the rules already on the books.